Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dembele missed another great chance. He could have had a hat-trick tonight. Lovely ball from Depay who has been a difference maker since coming on.

Update: Dembele off now for Cornet. Lyon just went very close again to scoring with Fekir and Depay having chances blocked. Shakhtar still look a threat on the counter. A lot of fun this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thought Valencia were in there

Really is a good thing Valencia aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Which one?

haha both!

I was talking about the team though. Decent as they work their way up the pitch, but very little at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Really is a good thing Valencia aren't great.

Cuedes costing them he's so wasteful

Factoring wages into the equation, Sanchez must be the biggest flop in Manchester United history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hhaha. Poor oul Sanchez, a big cheer going up when he gets taken off and then being shouted at for being so slow at coming off. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Got the message,got his ass in gear too🀣🀣

Full-Time and it ends Lyon 2-2 Shakhtar. Very entertaining game and worth checking the highlights later. Probably the best game I've seen in an empty stadium. I think the draw was a fair result as both sides had good chances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What went on at the end of the CSKA Madrid game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Good win for Roma, after a terrible start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

What went on at the end of the CSKA Madrid game?

Was just coming to post this question. I turned off just before the keeper was sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

That Man Utd Valencia game was the poorest CL game on tv for some time. Awful quality

Utd are a shambles.

As bad as Moyes era, possibly even worse.

Can you imagine if Madrid sack Lopetegui within the next few weeks? Would make that debacle at the World Cup even more pitiful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

lassykk wrote: »
    Was just coming to post this question. I turned off just before the keeper was sent off

Just saw livescore myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"She canee take the strain capt'n!"

Sorry, we couldn't complete your request due to a temporary fault.

Please wait a few seconds (count to 10?) and try again…!

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Utd are a shambles.

As bad as Moyes era, possibly even worse.

Played better football under him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

clean sheet though...baby steps!

Played better football under him

In hindsight he probably got a bit of a raw deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

The talent in that United team! How do you go from Sanchez Arsenal to Sanchez United? Give him 500k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He was shown two yellows in quick succession for dissent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Juventus should qualify for the knockouts with a couple of games to spare now.

He just needed more time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

eigrod wrote: »
    That Man Utd Valencia game was the poorest CL game on tv for some time. Awful quality
    It wasn't great, was it? Utd will still probably qualify though.

He was shown two yellows in quick succession for dissent.

Seems a bit mad given they were leading and with seconds to go... The thought of a rare champions league clean sheet got to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

He only got the job because he was Scottish imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Dour match.

Valencia same as always this season so far; don't look like scoring, don't look like conceding. Guedes and Batshuayi not joining until the very last minute maybe a factor there. Also, Coquelin on the right wing isn't exactly an adventurous selection.

Neutrals will want their 90 minutes back.

blueser wrote: »

I really hope not. Whatever second round tie they'd be in wouldnt be worth watching. The less they are on TV the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Real and Bayern had poor results too. Two sides more likely to win the entire competition, and with less public problems. But yeah...the focus should be entirely on United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hold on...
    Looking towards to tomorrow night, am I right in what I'm seeing that there will be no games broadcast at all on free TV?
    If so, is this the way it's gonna be on Wednesday from now on? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Valencia looked poor and thus no guarantee they will pick up 6 points against the Swiss, but if they do, there’s a lot of pressure on Man Utd then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hold on...
    Looking towards to tomorrow night, am I right in what I'm seeing that there will be no games broadcast at all on free TV?
    Yep. No games on terrestrial telly on wednesday nights. Preferred the previous arrangement (one on tuesday and one on wednesday to the new setup (two on tuesday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yep. No games on terrestrial telly on wednesday nights. Preferred the previous arrangement (one on tuesday and one on wednesday to the new setup (two on tuesday).

Yeah its a joke,most people would miss the early game coming home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

blueser wrote:

Its to get more people to sign up for Virgin Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

There was last game week (a fortnight ago)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Seems a bit mad given they were leading and with seconds to go... The thought of a rare champions league clean sheet got to him

Ha yeah and he retired from international football as well yesterday, some week he's having!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lukaku really is just a Belgian Heskey isn’t he? One good season and then reverts to type.

No team with serious trophy ambitions should be relying on a player like that up front in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Hold on...
    Yeah its a joke,most people would miss the early game coming home from work

It's down to Virgin Media. After taking over TV3, they've taken games off free to air TV and put them on Virgin Media Sport instead, a channel unavailable free to air.

It's a disgrace they've been allowed to do this. Champions League football has always been free to air in this country, that is until Virgin Media arrived and ****ed it for the next generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lukaku really is just a Belgian Heskey isn’t he? One good season and then reverts to type.

No team with serious trophy ambitions should be relying on a player like that up front in this day and age.

Flat track bully only scores against the rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

LiamoSail wrote:
    It's a disgrace they've been allowed to do this. Champions League football has always been free to air in this country, that is until Virgin Media arrived and ****ed it for the next generation.

Contract is they have to show one game a week on FTA which they do.

Contract is they have to show one game a week on FTA which they do.

Point is if it were still TV3, we'd have a game free to air on Tuesday and Wednesday evening (Rte on one night, tv3 the other). Because of Virgin Media, we don't. Instead we have a game at 5.30pm on a Tuesday that most in this time zone, unless it involves their side, won't watch. It's a disgrace they've gotten away with coming in to Ireland and ****ing up a privilege we've enjoyed for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Point is if it were still TV3, we'd have a game free to air on Tuesday and Wednesday evening (Rte on one night, tv3 the other). Because of Virgin Media, we don't. Instead we have a game at 5.30pm on a Tuesday that most in this time zone, unless it involves their side, won't watch. It's a disgrace they've gotten away with coming in to Ireland and ****ing up a privilege we've enjoyed for years

Is it not RTÉ that has changed, TV3 had the Tuesday game and RTÉ had the Wednesday game

Is it not RTthat has changed, TV3 had the Tuesday game and RThad the Wednesday game

It's irrelevant is it not? TV3 show one night, RTE the other. Only now TV3(now Virgin media) have decided to put their 8pm KO behind a paywall, so to speak.

That Wednesday night game should be free to air, and could be only that Virgin have decided to put it on a pay channel

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's irrelevant is it not? TV3 show one night, RTE the other. Only now TV3(now Virgin media) have decided to put their 8pm KO behind a paywall, so to speak.

That Wednesday night game should be free to air, and could be only that Virgin have decided to put it on a pay channel

Why? Under what grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Because! If the old system was in place Napoli v Liverpool would be on - or Spurs v Barca, either way two great ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Seems like RTÉ have listened to critics of their 'poor' analysis and have pared their coverage down to the absolute bare minimum. No highlights or nothing! :pac:

I used to enjoy catching the roundup of all the games on a Wednesday night and thought they did an all round decent enough job.

Something about TV3's coverage, dunno if its the CGI studio or what, has always seemed fairly shoddy in comparison.

Why? Under what grounds?

It's always been and that should continue.I've no legal or business argument.

My issue is that CL football free to air mid week should be sacrosanct. It's a fantastic privilege (and I choose the word privlidge deliberately) we've enjoyed in this country since the CL came to be. It's through this free to air coverage which I'd wager many on this forum developed their love for football because most growing up didn't have sky for live football. The CL was ther live footbal fix.

Sure there's MOTD etc, but that's different, it's not live. Of course there's real live football in this country, but that's no use to a 12 or 14 yr old who supports LFC/MUFC etc. Obviously the option is there to get the channel, but again it's not an option for the younger generation still in school. Many who have a sky box ent even have the option of it, even if they'd be willing to pay.

Having live Free to Air top level football was brilliant. It wasn't an entitlement, it was just one of the perks of midweek growing up. Something to look forward to, something special about the CL. The music. The foreign sides. The quality of them. It's **** that Virgin Media have taken that away.

sugarman wrote: »
    No, its not. We've been over this on another thread... RTE, the state broadcaster who you pay your license fee to are the ones at fault here. They wouldn't stump up the cash for the rights and VM did. Theyre the ones you should be having a go at here!

...youre still ranting and raving about them "taking away" games. They moved the time slot. Get over it. We still get 2 FTA games a week... and so far both Tuesday night early K.O slots have featured 2 PL teams.. in 2 cracking games!

I dont know if im alone in it, but I think I prefer the new format of back to back live FTA games.

I understand your point, but most have eff all interest in football at half five on a Tuesday afternoon/evening because life/work/family.

Fact is were it not for Virgin Media, we cold watch a game on Tuesday evening and another on Wennesday evening. Because of them though we now can't

It is a pity, a bit sad and unfortunate but to be talking about privileges, screaming outrage and disgrace is ridiculous. We live in a changing era of media at the minute and this is just part and parcel.
    Nothing you can do about it other than if it is that important, shelve out the 15 quid a month for the sports channel. Thats the cost of 3 pints

• Advertisement
Advertisement