Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It's always been and that should continue.I've no legal or business argument.

My issue is that CL football free to air mid week should be sacrosanct. It's a fantastic privilege (and I choose the word privlidge deliberately) we've enjoyed in this country since the CL came to be. It's through this free to air coverage which I'd wager many on this forum developed their love for football because most growing up didn't have sky for live football. The CL was ther live footbal fix.

Sure there's MOTD etc, but that's different, it's not live. Of course there's real live football in this country, but that's no use to a 12 or 14 yr old who supports LFC/MUFC etc. Obviously the option is there to get the channel, but again it's not an option for the younger generation still in school. Many who have a sky box ent even have the option of it, even if they'd be willing to pay.

Having live Free to Air top level football was brilliant. It wasn't an entitlement, it was just one of the perks of midweek growing up. Something to look forward to, something special about the CL. The music. The foreign sides. The quality of them. It's **** that Virgin Media have taken that away.

:D

I honestly haven't a clue who you are directing your anger at? The Universe? Because Virgin Media owe you f^ck all "privileges"

RTE still have their 1 day a week CL evening game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It is a pity, a bit sad and unfortunate but to be talking about privileges, screaming outrage and disgrace is ridiculous. We live in a changing era of media at the minute and this is just part and parcel.
    Nothing you can do about it other than if it is that important, shelve out the 15 quid a month for the sports channel. Thats the cost of 3 pints

Yea look it's not an outrageous amount at all, it's just the principal.

Of course me or you could get VM sport in the morning if we wanted and not notice the difference in the bank account, but most of the younger generation will probably just miss out instead. Plenty who would otherwise have developed a love for the game mightened now because they won't have the opportunity.

Certainly if Virgin had been around 20 years ago I'd have missed out because my Ma wouldn't have paid it. There's also the issue of it not being available to those with sky, so it's not 15 a month, it's a minimum of 30.

:D

I honestly haven't a clue who you are directing your anger at? The Universe? Because Virgin Media owe you f^ck all "privileges"

RTE still have their 1 day a week CL evening game.

Ha yea of course VM owe me nothing. My point is just that its **** they've wrecked a long standing amenity we've had in Ireland. I'm not interested in the business or law aspects of it, of course it's leagal but that doesn't make it any less ****.

Because! If the old system was in place Napoli v Liverpool would be on - or Spurs v Barca, either way two great ties.

Fear not. You'll be able to watch CSKA Moscow v Dnamo Bucharest, or something equally as appealing, on Tuesday week as you drive home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Fear not. You'll be able to watch CSKA Moscow v Dnamo Bucharest, or something equally as appealing, on Tuesday week as you drive home from work.

Not everyone works 9-5. The early game is great for people like me that do shift work or work nights.

Not everyone works 9-5. The early game is great for people like me that do shift work or work nights.

Yea of course, you're right. My bone of contention is in regard to the standard evening football audience, specifically students and school kids who'll miss out now under the new arrangements, just as I would have had these arrangements come in 20 years ago. Obviously the 5pm KO is cool for you, but it'd be sound if we still had the 8pm KO too as before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My issue is that CL football free to air mid week should be sacrosanct.

I disagree. As with any sport, Imo it should be up to the owners /organisers to sell rights as they see fit. If it's a massive failure an x it turns out it's better on fta and they revert, that's fine and up to them. If they want to sell to one channel that charges €500 A game to watch, that's up to them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yea of course, you're right. My bone of contention is in regard to the standard evening football audience, specifically students and school kids who'll miss out now under the new arrangements, just as I would have had these arrangements come in 20 years ago. Obviously the 5pm KO is cool for you, but it'd be sound if we still had the 8pm KO too as before

A Liverpool fan feeling entitled to free stuff, well I never...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A Liverpool fan feeling entitled to free stuff, well I never...

Go to bed earlier school can be a long day for small lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Harry Kane on Messi.

"Hopefully one day I can score as many, if not more, than he has."

Talk about setting the bar high. :pac:

Both started scoring big amounts when they were 20/21 years of age.

Messi got 38 that year and has managed to score at least 41 goals every year since.

Kane got 31 goals that year and his best year seen him score 41 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Lukaku really is just a Belgian Heskey isn’t he? One good season and then reverts to type.

No team with serious trophy ambitions should be relying on a player like that up front in this day and age.

Has he not scored 4 in 7 in the Prem? Do people actually believe this or is it just to get a dig in

It's the first week of October like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PSG XI: Areola, Meunier, Kimpembe, Thiago Silva, Bernat, Verratti, Rabiot, Mbappe-Lottin, Neymar, Di Maria, Cavani.

Red Star Belgrade XI: Borjan, Stojkovic, Savic, Degenek, Rodic, Jovicic, Kristicic, Marin, Causic, Simic, Ben Nabouhane.

Red Star are unbeaten in their last 34 games in all comps apparently, so keen to see how they get on. I'd be surprised, though, if PSG don't get the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Apologies if this is more appropriate elsewhere but thought I'd get a quicker answer in this thread. Signed up to the Virgin Media TV sports package yesterday to get access ahead of today's games. Have the app downloaded and am getting "no subscription active" when I try to watch the sports channels.

Anyone else used it? Is it just taking a while to activate? Was looking forward to PSG v Red Star!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

James Richardson: "Atletico v. Bruges should be an interesting game." Well I suppose if you find boring routine wins for overwhelming favourites interesting...

C'mon BT, I thought you were aimed at serious football people, unlike the vacuous hype merchants on Sky

NEYMAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Beautiful free-kick for 1-0.

Update: 2-0. Neymar gets his second. Mbappe assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Red Star are unbeaten in their last 34 games in all comps apparently, so keen to see how they get on. I'd be surprised, though, if PSG don't get the win.

Well that unbeaten run didn't last long..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Think of the children. . ...

Jesus man, there's all manner of football coverage on the TV nowadays, far more than these glory days of past you refer to. one night less of terrestrial "free" access CL won't kill the game in this country

PSG front players pressing much better than at Anfield.

Update: 3-0 now. Cavani with a deflected effort. Dogged play from Thiago Silva prior to the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PSG front players pressing much better than at Anfield.

Bit of a difference in Liverpool and a piss poor team like Red Star.
    Nice one-two by them to set up Cavani tho :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

James Richardson: "Atletico v. Bruges should be an interesting game." Well I suppose if you find boring routine wins for overwhelming favourites interesting...

C'mon BT, I thought you were aimed at serious football people, unlike the vacuous hype merchants on Sky

And the trying to talk up Red Star's chances in this game. Bet we don't hear much more of that at half-time...

4-0 now as Di Maria gets in on the act. Meunier with a nice cross.

Half-Time: 4-0 to the hosts at the break. While there's a huge gulf in class between the teams, PSG have been very good. Neymar has been running rings around them and Verratti has done well too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tuchel makes a lot of changes shortly as they host Lyon at the weekend, and this game is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

4-0 now as Di Maria gets in on the act. Meunier with a nice cross.

Half-Time: 4-0 to the hosts at the break. While there's a huge gulf in class between the teams, PSG have been very good. Neymar has been running rings around them and Verratti has done well too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tuchel makes a lot of changes shortly as they host Lyon at the weekend, and this game is done.

Some pass by meunier

Mbappe makes it 5-0. Lovely play from Neymar in the build-up.

Update: Marin pulls one back for Red Star. Strong finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Chupo-moting was he just on loan last season at stoke or did psg buy him this summer?

Oh Neymar!

What a way to secure the hat-trick.
    AidoEirE wrote:
    Chupo-moting was he just on loan last season at stoke or did psg buy him this summer?

Picked him up on a free transfer.

• Advertisement

Oh Neymar!

What a way to secure the hat-trick.

Great strike

Cavani offside for number 7.

*With chupo, Wow, thats suprises me to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Is there no where showing champions league in ireland now without having to pay for bt?

Think you need Virgin Media Sport to watch on Irish telly.

What games are people planning to watch this evening? I'm going to give Spurs vs Barca my main attention, but I'll keep an eye on Dortmund vs Monaco too. I've a feeling Dortmund are going to whoop Monaco; the former are on a great run, while Monaco are on an awful one. Looks like Jardim is playing 5-3-2 tonight. I can see Sancho and Reus tearing them apart, but I hope it's competitive.

I see Barca beating Spurs with Tottenham missing key players. Interested to see how Arthur gets on. Fancy Coutinho and Messi to get on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there no where showing champions league in ireland now without having to pay for bt?

Pay for Eir, pay for Virgin Media, look for grey means. There's your choices. BT will have an RTÉ feel anyway with Jim Beglin on commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some start from Barca.

Where was Lloris going

• Advertisement

Coutinho makes it 1-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Brilliant pass from Messi.

Shows you once again why he's the greatest player in the world and no-one comes close to him, he can do it all from an attacking perspective other great players are more limited in what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Some start from Barca.

Where was Lloris going
    Ridiculous by Lloris.
    Messi class though. When he loses his pace to trouble defenders, he’s got a place in mid waiting for him. What a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That is awful awful goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Lloris must be one of the most overrated keepers around. You always get the feeling there's a howler in him just waiting to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Crazy from Lloris, like something you'd see at astro. What's up with the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Looks like Lloris had a few too many before the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Hugo is on the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Think you need Virgin Media Sport to watch on Irish telly.

What games are people planning to watch this evening? I'm going to give Spurs vs Barca my main attention, but I'll keep an eye on Dortmund vs Monaco too. I've a feeling Dortmund are going to whoop Monaco; the former are on a great run, while Monaco are on an awful one. Looks like Jardim is playing 5-3-2 tonight. I can see Sancho and Reus tearing them apart, but I hope it's competitive.

I see Barca beating Spurs with Tottenham missing key players. Interested to see how Arthur gets on. Fancy Coutinho and Messi to get on the scoresheet.

The problem with Virgin Sport is you can't get it with Sky.

You can't get BT sport with Virgin media.

The big problem with all these rights changes is there is no platform where every single channel is available on it.That needs to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apologies if this is more appropriate elsewhere but thought I'd get a quicker answer in this thread. Signed up to the Virgin Media TV sports package yesterday to get access ahead of today's games. Have the app downloaded and am getting "no subscription active" when I try to watch the sports channels.

Anyone else used it? Is it just taking a while to activate? Was looking forward to PSG v Red Star!

Did you sign up before 9pm yesterday? You should have had access since this morning if you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Crazy from Lloris, like something you'd see at astro. What's up with the pitch?

joshua fight last sat night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some start from Barca.

Where was Lloris going

For a pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Nice to see an impartial, balanced line up of co-commentators on the Spurs game!

The problem with Virgin Sport is you can't get it with Sky.

You can't get BT sport with Virgin media.

The big problem with all these rights changes is there is no platform where every single channel is available on it.That needs to be fixed.

You can get BT Sport with eir on the app. Then you have your pick of all the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

blueser wrote: »
    Nice to see an impartial, balanced line up of co-commentators on the Spurs game!

Could you expand on that? BT or Virgin and who's commentating?

flazio wrote: »
    Could you expand on that? BT or Virgin and who's commentating?

Hoddle on BT co-comms anyway

flazio wrote: »
    Pay for Eir, pay for Virgin Media, look for grey means. There's your choices. BT will have an RTÉ feel anyway with Jim Beglin on commentary.

To be fair, souness is on virgin, and he talks more dross than beglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hoddle on BT co-comms anyway

With Jenas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

With Jenas
    Double avoid then.

• Advertisement

Napoli playing very strong here. They'd want a goal soon though to put pool under big pressure. Napoli look a lot more up for it

Advertisement