Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Insigne has been great this season in Serie A. How did he play tonight?

• Nice win for Napoli :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Barca deserved it, no question. Messi is unbelievable, and it's crazy seeing just how good when he's playing like that against your team. They could have easily had a few more goals. Injuries to Spurs starting 11 really showed there, and could have gone differently with them on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imagine Napoli playing in a tight little ground with no running track, would be great. They need to get out of that dump asap.

Fully deserved victory tonight.

As for Messi, still a joy to watch when he's playing at his best. Unstoppable tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Insigne has been great this season in Serie A. How did he play tonight?

Dangerous all game. The whole napoli team was excellent. Nulified the front 3, bossed the midfield. Won it all on the FB's.
    Against this pool team what they did not easy to do and woulda been horrible if they didnt win, where as liverpool woulda been delighted with a draw they just couldnt get into it. Pool were a bit arrogant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine Napoli playing in a tight little ground with no running track, would be great. They need to get out of that dump asap.

Have they got plans to move? Saw some photos of it earlier, the Colosseum looks in better shape.

Have they got plans to move? Saw some photos of it earlier, the Colosseum looks in better shape.

Not sure, but while watching the game I thought about Juve and their new stadium, and the old Delle Allpi, which was too big as well

Must be nothing worse for an atmosphere that half filling a huge, open bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Steve bruce has left villa. Get in there Mick ( He's been brilliant on virgin for the pool game tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Dangerous all game. The whole napoli team was excellent. Nulified the front 3, bossed the midfield. Won it all on the FB's.
    Against this pool team what they did not easy to do and woulda been horrible if they didnt win, where as liverpool woulda been delighted with a draw they just couldnt get into it. Pool were a bit arrogant

Arrogant isn’t the right word, we were just poor all over the pitch. The only players who could take some credit tonight were Gomez and Alisson, nobody else played to even 80% of their best ability, but it certainly wasn’t down to arrogance. If you think Klopp would allow that kind of attitude away to a top club like Napoli, you’d be sorely mistaken.

Like any good side, we have off nights too. That’s football. Napoli were very good tonight, if not a bit wasteful even, and deserved to win. If we didn’t beat PSG, I’d be a lot more disappointed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Can't argue with the result tonight in Naples. Napoli deserved their win and it was a disappointing performance from Liverpool.

We'll get six from six from Red Star and are capable of getting something in Paris, but if needs be i'd be confident of getting the point against Napoli at Anfield in the final game to progress should it even come down to that.

Disappointing, but it's one of those 'meh' performances. Looking forward now to another huge game against City!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Extra bonus points for the ironic cheers when Coutinho mis-hit his strike which had just ended by Rakitic, but the third goal was my favourite.

Coutinho and Suarez leaving it and a one touch finish - they all knew what they were doing from the moment the ball went out to Alba.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Spurs missing too many good players tonight, they were requiring Barca to have an off day to get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

An absolute joy to watch Messi again last night. But according to FIFA he's not even among the top 3 players! So FIFA is still corrupt then.

Rezident wrote: »
    An absolute joy to watch Messi again last night. But according to FIFA he's not even among the top 3 players! So FIFA is still corrupt then.

He's only won 1 Ballon d'Or in the past 5 years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1047581607773831170?s=19

Pretty high standard as all these goals came at CL level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Spurs missing too many good players tonight, they were requiring Barca to have an off day to get a result.

Easy pickings for Barca either way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ERG89 wrote: »

Ye but could he do it in the PL . Still comfortably the best player in the world. Even last year ronaldo had a lot of iconic moments , the overhead kick , the hat trick in the world cup, part of a team that won the CL. However messi had a better season.

And the worrying thing, as I mentioned already, is that once he gets another couple of years on the legs, he'll just be able to fall back into midfield and run the show there, with some of the amazing through passes he threads the other players.

We seen some of that ability last night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

NIMAN wrote: »
    And the worrying thing, as I mentioned already, is that once he gets another couple of years on the legs, he'll just be able to fall back into midfield and run the show there, with some of the amazing through passes he threads the other players.

We seen some of that ability last night too.

Everything Barca do, goes through him.

Hes a #10, hes a #9, hes a #7/11 and when he drops to collect the ball and dictates play and uses through balls from deep he becomes a #8.

I cant think of any modern player that could play and excel in all 4 roles like Messi does.

On his day when hes on form, hes got the ability to be the best in the world at all those roles in a single 90min game, its insane, last night was one of those displays, unfortunately for Spurs.

ERG89 wrote: »

He's had a lot of opportunities to play English sides though over the years. Man United in back to back CL finals, endless number of Chelsea & Arsenal matches, seeing that time when he spanked Wenger at the Nou Camp and scored all 4 goals is still hilarious to watch.

• Advertisement

Ye but could he do it in the PL . Still comfortably the best player in the world. Even last year ronaldo had a lot of iconic moments , the overhead kick , the hat trick in the world cup, part of a team that won the CL. However messi had a better season.

Statistically speaking, at least goals wise, they were close.

Messi 54 games 45 goals
    Ronaldo 44 games 44 goals

And Ronaldo did have somewhat the better WC of the two.

Anyone remember the Premier League pundits who used to question his ability on the basis he had never done it against English sides? If you listen to Martin Tyler's commentary during United's first CL final with Barca, as soon as Messi scores the header, Tyler remarks, "well he's scored against an English team now."

Not sure if this was before or after Gray's infamous "could he do it on a rainy night on Stoke" comment but it's hilarious how he was doubted based on games with PL sides, and the subsequent damage he's gone on to do.

Never ceases to amaze me the importance these pundits put on performances against Premier League sides. Here's a Mirror writer declaring last night was Messi's best ever performance...

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/1047753441072832513

I'm not convinced it was in his top ten performances. I wonder sometimes do these guys ever watch him besides when he faces Spurs, Chelsea, United etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He's only won 1 Ballon d'Or in the past 5 years as well.

As he's only deserved one in the past five years.

No argument about the state of FIFA though, this year's goal of the year being a wonderful example

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As he's only deserved one in the past five years.

No argument about the state of FIFA though, this year's goal of the year being a wonderful example

Hardly Salah's fault they didn't pick his best goal

It's all about opinions I guess

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Hardly Salah's fault they didn't pick his best goal

It's all about opinions I guess

Who said anything was Salahs fault?

I said I agree with the overall point about FIFA, awarding their goal of the season to a goal that was not even that players best goal. That's 100% on FIFA

Does someone have a different opinion to that?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was agreeing in a roundabout way that typically anything awarded by Fifa is suspect. My current state of mind has me defending Salah even when there's no need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyone remember the Premier League pundits who used to question his ability on the basis he had never done it against English sides? If you listen to Martin Tyler's commentary during United's first CL final with Barca, as soon as Messi scores the header, Tyler remarks, "well he's scored against an English team now."

Not sure if this was before or after Gray's infamous "could he do it on a rainy night on Stoke" comment but it's hilarious how he was doubted based on games with PL sides, and the subsequent damage he's gone on to do.

Never ceases to amaze me the importance these pundits put on performances against Premier League sides. Here's a Mirror writer declaring last night was Messi's best ever performance...

I'm not convinced it was in his top ten performances. I wonder sometimes do these guys ever watch him besides when he faces Spurs, Chelsea, United etc.

One of his best performances for me was at Zaragoza when he was playing both for himself and for a woeful/out of form Ibrahamovic. Some of his solo runs in that game were stupendous.

It was also some years into his career that some still thought his stats were padded by being the guy who scored the fourth and fifth goals in a 5-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

People do know that goal of the year is an internet vote and not a FIFA vote

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The real goal of the year was scored by Ciro Immobile though

Nope, but that does explain/excuse it a little I guess.

On the same level as a kids choice award so :) not 100% on FIFA as I stated. Just them trying to generate fan interest obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Yeah was surprised that this wasn't mentioned more at the time.

Still, James Milner's reaction was probably my favourite one.

"Well done Mo on your 7th best goal of last season being awarded goal of the year."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nope, but that does explain/excuse it a little I guess.

On the same level as a kids choice award so :) not 100% on FIFA as I stated. Just them trying to generate fan interest obviously.

Yep, and if you have a popular player in a large country like Egypt where he is an icon you will have most people voting for him no matter what is better or what the situation is like. Was it not a case that he got like 1 million votes in an Egyptian election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Statistically speaking, at least goals wise, they were close.

Messi 54 games 45 goals
    Ronaldo 44 games 44 goals

And Ronaldo did have somewhat the better WC of the two.

But the other night is a prime example of why comparing the 2 of them based on goals is a waste of time.

Messi has so much more to his game than just goals whereas Ronaldo's game is mainly based on scoring goals.

Messi completely ran the entire game the other night and contributed 2 goals he's the complete attacking player who is ike a combination of Zidane and Ronaldo.If he only scored 10 goals per season would still be regarded as an all time great player, if Ronaldo only scored 10 goals a season he wouldn't.

Messi also has an aesthetic quality and joyfulness to his play that Ronaldo doesn't have.

The more Ronaldo has won this ballon d'ors over the last few years the more Messi has actually seperated himself from him as a player as you can really appreciate Messi's overall game is far far superior to Ronaldo's because virtually every single argument being made in relation to Ronaldo's greatness is about all the goals he scores whereas Messi has much more to his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Messi completely ran the entire game the other night and contributed 2 goals he's the complete attacking player who is ike a combination of Zidane and Ronaldo.If he only scored 10 goals per season would still be regarded as an all time great player, if Ronaldo only scored 10 goals a season he wouldn't.

really enjoyed, and agree with this line. gonna be using this future pub arguements! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

But the other night is a prime example of why comparing the 2 of them based on goals is a waste of time.

Messi has so much more to his game than just goals whereas Ronaldo's game is mainly based on scoring goals.

Messi also has an aesthetic quality and joyfulness to his play that Ronaldo doesn't have.

The more Ronaldo has won this ballon d'ors over the last few years the more Messi has actually seperated himself from him as a player as you can really appreciate Messi's overall game is far far superior to Ronaldo's because virtually every single argument being made in relation to Ronaldo's greatness is about all the goals he scores whereas Messi has much more to his game.

I disagree Messi is superior player. Ronaldo has shown even with age he is better than Messi
    Although i suppose you know more than all those world player of the year awards people :rolleyes:

irishman86 wrote: »
    I disagree Messi is superior player. Ronaldo has shown even with age he is better than Messi
    Although i suppose you know more than all those world player of the year awards people :rolleyes:

Outside of goals Ronaldo doesn't come close to contributing as much as Messi does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While agreeing with your point in general, this was 2009 when Messi was still only 21 and had been shut down over two legs by Utd in the previous years semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

While agreeing with your point in general, this was 2009 when Messi was still only 21 and had been shut down over two legs by Utd in the previous years semi final.

I don't think he was fit in those ties as he got subbed in them, plus Barca were absolutely terrible in the last season under Rijkaard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronaldo has scored 661 goals from 923 games.

Messi has scored 627 goals from 775 games.

If you're going to judge them on goals scored, Ronaldo has clearly scored more, goals per game, Messi has a better record.

Leaving goals out of the equation because theres not much splitting them, Messis influence over a game of football is far greater reaching than Ronaldos, IMO.

• Advertisement

Outside of goals Ronaldo doesn't come close to contributing as much as Messi does.

Yawn. Ronaldo has more assists than goals this year
    This argument has been done a thousand times and never stops being boring

I dont think it was even in his top 5 CL performances. Spurs were as bad defensively as Messi was good.

His best CL performance for me was always the one against Bayern in the first leg of 2015.

Yawn. Ronaldo has more assists than goals this year
    This argument has been done a thousand times and never stops being boring

Assists is a completely overrated stat.You do a simple 5 yard pass and someone blasts the ball into the net and it counts as an assist.

Also seeing as he's only scored 3 goals this season it's not exactly a wonderful achievement to have more than 3 assists.

He just doesn't contribute as much overall as Messi does, Messi even without scoring bucket loads of goals is an all time great player, take away Ronaldos goals and he isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Assists is a completely overrated stat.You do a simple 5 yard pass and someone blasts the ball into the net and it counts as an assist.

Also seeing as he's only scored 3 goals this season it's not exactly a wonderful achievement to have more than 3 assists.

He just doesn't contribute as much overall as Messi does, Messi even without scoring bucket loads of goals is an all time great player, take away Ronaldos goals and he isn't.

What a wierd statement. Think about it.

Basically what you are saying is he is a great player only because he is prolific in the art of his game and the most important part of the game, ie scoring goals? And then you even refute the importance of assist stats!!

It is one of the most bizarre "Messi is better than Ronaldo" statements that pops up as a means of criticising Ronaldo! "Take away Ronaldo's (unprecedented records and prolific goalscoring) stats and he is not that great a player! "

This isn't me taking any player's side, I just think it is one of the most strange points people make as a way to downplay Ronaldo's career!.

Oh dear, am I really reading someone suggest Ronaldo doesn't contribute anything more than goals less than a week after he put in a MOTM display against the second-best side in Italy, without scoring himself?

Oh dear, am I really reading someone suggest Ronaldo doesn't contribute anything more than goals less than a week after he put in a MOTM display against the second-best side in Italy, without scoring himself?

Compared to Messi he doesn't contribute as much overall across his career was the point I was making.

• Advertisement

What a wierd statement. Think about it.

Basically what you are saying is he is a great player only because he is prolific in the art of his game and the most important part of the game, ie scoring goals? And then you even refute the importance of assist stats!!

It is one of the most bizarre "Messi is better than Ronaldo" statements that pops up as a means of criticising Ronaldo! "Take away Ronaldo's (unprecedented records and prolific goalscoring) stats and he is not that great a player! "

This isn't me taking any player's side, I just think it is one of the most strange points people make as a way to downplay Ronaldo's career!.

It's not really a strange point though.

Messi is a more rounded overall player.Take away his goals and he'd still be an all time great.

Ronaldo is not as great an all round player.

Assist stats are not really a good stat. Messi's brilliant pass which opened up Spurs defence for the first goal the other night does not count as an assist even though it's the key pass in that move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Great

Great

Greatest

Better all Rounded

Take away his goals and.....

no contribution but goals

great

Messi is great because he also assists

Ronaldo's assists are misleading

Great

Not so great

That there is the essence of these boring Messi v Ronaldo "debates"

Great

Great

Greatest

Better all Rounded

Take away his goals and.....

no contribution but goals

great

Messi is great because he also assists

Ronaldo's assists are misleading

Great

Not so great

That there is the essence of these boring Messi v Ronaldo "debates"

I didn't say Ronaldo's assist stats were misleading.

I said assist stats in general are misleading.

Like i said yawn, sure take away all Ronaldos aspects and Messi is defo better than him
    What a stupid point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Like i said yawn, sure take away all Ronaldos aspects and Messi is defo better than him
    What a stupid point

Even with Ronaldos goal Messi still has a better GPG ratio anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement