Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Kiith wrote: »
    Poch has done a great job with a good young team, but there are definitely questions about his tactical choices at times. His substitutions rarely do any good, and seem to do more harm than good at times. I would say that's as much due to a lack of options on the bench though.

Last night wasn't his fault though, as you can't really plan for either the stupidity of usually reliable players (Alderweireld) or the madness of Lloris.

Trippier was naive giving away a free kick to a player going nowhere either for the 2nd goal but whats more frustrating is when Sanchez cleared the first ball, a handful of Spurs defenders turned into statues when the ball came back in and De Jong flicked it in pretty much unchallenged.

Poch cant really do much in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just switched to the BT 3 Extra stream for PSG Napoli - looks like it is only in sd.

My understanding is unless you have BT Youview box you only get the SD extra channels, not sure how it is effected with Eir Sport Deal but in the North if you need to have BT TV to get extra in HD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Can't see why you would criticise him, he is seriously punching above his weight with what he is doing at Spurs.

Lol sure he is

Lets see
    Goalie world cup winner
    RB meh
    cbs pick two of the multiple stars
    lb rose or davies both start for most teams
    dm dier meh
    dembele hmmm which massive club is he linked to today must be terrible
    Ali which team in england wouldnt start him maybe City
    Son brilliant
    Erikesen brilliant
    Kane possibly the best striker in football

Thats not even looking at the bench, so ya looking at it thats clearly a team of relegation fodder he has at the top of the table :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

irishman86 wrote: »
    Lol sure he is

Lets see
    Goalie world cup winner
    RB meh
    dm dier meh
    Son brilliant
    Erikesen brilliant

Thats not even looking at the bench, so ya looking at it thats clearly a team of relegation fodder he has at the top of the table :pac::pac:

How had Spurs been getting on for the last 25 before Pochettino? You list off players to make out that any manager would do the same job he's done, yet overlook the fact that that team wouldn't even be assembled without him. If he left, I've no doubt Spurs would drop back a level or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Can't see why you would criticise him, he is seriously punching above his weight with what he is doing at Spurs.

is he though?

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Trippier, Alli, Son, Kane. for multiple seasons.

Klopp is adored by most people, but he still gets some shade thrown at him, and it's been said quite often that he must win something very soon.

it seems to be just universally accepted that Poch is a genius, even though he's won the square root of fúck all.

they botched the Leicester title winning year. they've botched this Champions League group something fierce. they've botched any big game they've really ever had under him tbh. Spurs' personnel are more than good enough to win something, or at least get to finals and be challenging until the final week or 2 of the season.

are Spurs a big club or not?

Wenger was pretty much hounded out of Arsenal, even though he won more trophies in his worst years than Poch has done in his best.

• Advertisement

How had Spurs been getting on for the last 25 before Pochettino? You list off players to make out that any manager would do the same job he's done, yet overlook the fact that that team wouldn't even be assembled without him. If he left, I've no doubt Spurs would drop back a level or two.

maybe Poch is only actually world class at one side of the job?
    maybe he's just not that good at getting an excellent team over the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

SlickRic wrote: »
    is he though?

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Trippier, Alli, Son, Kane. for multiple seasons.

Klopp is adored by most people, but he still gets some shade thrown at him, and it's been said quite often that he must win something very soon.

it seems to be just universally accepted that Poch is a genius, even though he's won the square root of fúck all.

they botched the Leicester title winning year. they've botched this Champions League group something fierce. they've botched any big game they've really ever had under him tbh. Spurs' personnel are more than good enough to win something, or at least get to finals and be challenging until the final week or 2 of the season.

are Spurs a big club or not?

Wenger was pretty much hounded out of Arsenal, even though he won more trophies in his worst years than Poch has done in his best.

I would not swap him anyway, am sure fans of other teams will criticise him but I am happy out. This is the best period I have experienced as a Spurs fan and as a season ticket holder for the new stadium coming up I am looking forward to it. There are far more important things in life to get worked up about :)

irishman86 wrote: »
    Lol sure he is

Lets see
    Goalie world cup winner
    RB meh
    dm dier meh
    Son brilliant
    Erikesen brilliant

I read the "Lol" and totally discredited anything you were trying to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do spurs not have a DOF? I thought that's the way they operated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I would not swap him anyway, am sure fans of other teams will criticise him but I am happy out. This is the best period I have experienced as a Spurs fan and as a season ticket holder for the new stadium coming up I am looking forward to it. There are far more important things in life to get worked up about :)
    I saw Tottenham vs West Ham last weekend and they were two of the worst performances I have seen in a while. Without Eriksen they lack any creativity.
    They also could have been down to 9 last night as Demebele should have been red-carded. The ref bottled it and Winks was subbed on.
    On the converse side, they did have a valid goal ruled out, but I think even had that gone in they would have allowed PSV play their way back into the tie.
    Having Son match fit might improve matters. A lot more will be known about them after Monday night.
    btw: When is the stadium opening?

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    I saw Tottenham vs West Ham last weekend and they were two of the worst performances I have seen in a while. Without Eriksen they lack any creativity.
    They also could have been down to 9 last night as Demebele should have been red-carded. The ref bottled it and Winks was subbed on.
    On the converse side, they did have a valid goal ruled out, but I think even had that gone in they would have allowed PSV play their way back into the tie.
    Having Son match fit might improve matters. A lot more will be known about them after Monday night.
    btw: When is the stadium opening?

They are well below form at the moment but are keeping up with the pace, Monday night will be very tough. I believe once they click again they will be ok. As regards the stadium your guess is as good as mine, rumours have it opening for Burnley on December 15th but I have a hunch it could be the United game on January 13th.

and to be honest, that is all that matters. i just think if Jos position was being debated while he was winning trophies, and Klopp's position was being questioned at times last season, it's fascinating that Poch's position is so rarely questioned.

it's great. i just find it very odd.

SlickRic wrote: »
    and to be honest, that is all that matters. i just think if Jos position was being debated while he was winning trophies, and Klopp's position was being questioned at times last season, it's fascinating that Poch's position is so rarely questioned.

it's great. i just find it very odd.

I guess it is all about expectations. My expectations would not be as high as a United or Liverpool fans expectations. I mean the Spurs of today are miles ahead of the Spurs I followed as a young lad. Of course winning trophies would be great and that is Poch's goal, but I just don't see anyone else doing any better in the job if he were to leave or be pushed aside. I believe his personality and general good humour towards the media help him also.

I guess it is all about expectations. My expectations would not be as high as a United or Liverpool fans expectations. I mean the Spurs of today are miles ahead of the Spurs I followed as a young lad. Of course winning trophies would be great and that is Poch's goal, but I just don't see anyone else doing any better in the job if he were to leave or be pushed aside. I believe his personality and general good humour towards the media help him also.

Spurs finished higher than Liverpool in the league in something like 8 of the last 10 seasons. Liverpool have won very little over the years but they look to be threatening again. And you still have lower expectations than Liverpool?

Is it not disappointing as a Spurs fan to have been so far ahead of Liverpool and now it looks they may pass you by again? With Arsenal and Chelsea looking to be getting stroner, City a juggernaut and never writing off United, is Spurs chances of winning a trophy or qualifying for the CL getting less likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What can spurs do. They are building a new stadium . Poch spent nothing in the summer and hasnt really spent that much compared to rivals. You cant compare him to Jose due to money spent, wages that can be offered etc. Spurs arent as attractive a destination to players as Utd so its harder for them to attract players and is also harder for them to keep players. Poch has done a great job he hasnt really had the squad to target a domestic cup as qualifying for CL consistently is what the club needs and thats what he has achieved. Would winning a carling cup and a 6th place finish represent progress for them this year. I think him getting them over the line for another top 4 finish as they move into a new stadium would be another good season for him.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Spurs finished higher than Liverpool in the league in something like 8 of the last 10 seasons. Liverpool have won very little over the years but they look to be threatening again. And you still have lower expectations than Liverpool?

Is it not disappointing as a Spurs fan to have been so far ahead of Liverpool and now it looks they may pass you by again? With Arsenal and Chelsea looking to be getting stroner, City a juggernaut and never writing off United, is Spurs chances of winning a trophy or qualifying for the CL getting less likely?

To be honest, I don't know what the expectations of a Liverpool fan are. I was just making a presumption and responding to the posters' point that Klopp got criticism last year.

The competition for the top 4 is stronger than ever at the moment, there was not much between Liverpool and Spurs last season and Liverpool have improved massively in the last couple of seasons more than Spurs falling back. Man City, United and Chelsea are just in a different league financially in the wages and transfer fees they can offer, even Arsenal are paying a player a few hundred thousand a week.

I believe the chances of winning a trophy or making top 4 are the same as they were last year where nobody gave us a chance playing home games at Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

TitianGerm wrote: »

Some Liverpool fans expected to win the league even when they were sh1te so it's about personal expectations.

In this example, because Liverpool had huge successful years ago some fans still expect the same. Liverpool fans born in the last decade or so probably have much fewer expectations.

Similar to what KingdomYid is stating his expectations of Spurs are less because they are so much better than they were before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This looks like a bigger deal than the FIFA revelations a few years back.

Der Spiegel in their article say they're working with 14 other European news organisations and that German TV will air a documentary about it on Sunday. Go on to say it's the biggest leak ever reported on by investigative journalists.

Check this out:

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1058419115700969473

This looks like a bigger deal than the FIFA revelations a few years back.

Der Spiegel in their article say they're working with 14 other European news organisations and that German TV will air a documentary about it on Sunday. Go on to say it's the biggest leak ever reported on by investigative journalists.

When City was taken over initially some of the deals were ridiculous. The naming rights for the stadium was one that stood out especially.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Games
    17:55 Kick-Off
    Group A

Monaco (FRA) V Club Brugge (BEL) - Live on BT Sport 1

Group C
    Crvena zvezda (SRB) V Liverpool (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 3 / VM1

20:00 Kick-Offs
    Group A

Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on BT Sport Extra 2

Group B
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V PSV Eindhoven (NED) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Barcelona (ESP) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group C
    Napoli (ITA) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on BT Sport 3

Group D
    Porto (POR) V Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) - Live on BT Sport Extra 5
    Schalke (GER) V Galatasaray (TUR) - Live on BT Sport Extra 4

Wednesday Games
    17:55 Kick-Offs
    Group G

CSKA Moskva (RUS) V Roma (ITA) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group H
    Valencia (ESP) V Young Boys (SUI) - Live on BT Sport 1

Group E
    Bayern München (GER) V AEK Athens (GRE) - Live on BT Sport Extra 2
    Benfica (POR) V Ajax (NED) - Live on BT Sport Extra 3

Group F
    Lyon (FRA) V Hoffenheim (GER) - Live on BT Sport Extra 4
    Manchester City (ENG) V Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) - Live on BT Sport 3

Group G
    Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) V Real Madrid (ESP) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group H
    Juventus (ITA) V Manchester United (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Is Virgin Media 3 one of the free channels on Saorview? Or am I looking at streaming the Liverpool game this evening?

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is Virgin Media 3 one of the free channels on Saorview? Or am I looking at streaming the Liverpool game this evening?

Game is on Virgin Media 1 typo in the other post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I might still try and find a stream as the quality will be better! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Game is on Virgin Media 1 typo in the other post

I've updated it in your post

Teams for the early kick-offs:
    Monaco XI: Benaglio; Sidibe, Glik, Jemerson, Barreca; Tielemans, Ait Bennasser, Chadli; Sylla, Falcao, Diop.

Club Brugge XI: Horvath; Poulain, Mechele, Denswil; Mata, Vormer, Nakamba, Vanaken, Rits; Diatta, Wesley.
    Red Star Belgrade XI: Borjan; Savic, Rodic, Degenek, Stojkovic; Marin, Krsticic, Jovancic; Srnic, Ben Nabouhane, Pavkov.

Liverpool XI: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Milner, Wijnaldum, Lallana; Salah, Sturridge, Mane.

Falcao back for Monaco is a boost for Henry. They're in wretched form at the minute and need him to step up. Wouldn't back them to win based on the last few weeks. I'll say a draw.

Would fancy Liverpool to win comfortably.

Vanaken scores to put Brugge 1-0 in front. Monaco had started pretty well but their fragile defence lets them down again.

And now Brugge have a penalty for Barreca's handball.

And Vanaken gets his second from the spot. Brugge 2-0 up inside 17 minutes. More misery for Monaco.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Red Star looking like they won't make this easy for Liverpool.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

What a sitter, Sturridge blazes over from 5 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

What a miss from sturridge.
    Open goal six yards out

Red Star take the lead as Pavkov with a strong header from a corner.

Meanwhile Wesley fires Brugge into a 3-0 lead! What a shot. Monaco getting humbled here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Bullet header Liverpool man marking fails

Wakey wakey liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bad defending from susposedly the best defender in the world right now for that goal.

A loss here will make things very difficult for Pool. Away to PSG and home to a capable Napoli ain't a schedule you would want when needing to qualify. Particularly when those two still have Red Star to play.

• Advertisement

2-0 Red Star. :eek:

Pavkov again with a fine strike.

Incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Red Star lead, not against the run of play either

This was supposed be after first goal

If these games are a taste of what's to come we're in for an exciting evening.

Pavkov is on for a hat-trick. I just looked him up and he hasn't been capped for Serbia at any level yet and was a £300k signing. What a night for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Monaco 3 down at home to Brugge, how far they've fallen.

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »
    Monaco 3 down at home to Brugge, how far they've fallen.

Their chairman Rybolovlev was taken into custody earlier tonight for alleged corruption. Wonder is Thierry Henry already rueing the decision to take on this job.

Henry hooking Falcao at the hour mark to replace him with a teenager Gouano as the fans boo. Can't blame them as that sub seems bizarre. Falcao was doing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If only Liverpool had a dynamic attacking player to come on and change the game.:p

Brugge make it 4-0 as captain Vormer breaks through and finishes after more poor defending from Monaco.

Horror show for Henry and his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If only Liverpool had a dynamic attacking player to come on and change the game.:p

As long as he is a wierd shape.

Poor result for Liverpool which eases the pressure on Napoli and PSG later. I wouldn't go overboard about it though. Red Star took their chances and Liverpool didn't.

Dismal result for Henry's Monaco who face PSG at the weekend. That could be a mauling.

What games are people watching this evening? I'm going to mainly watch Napoli vs PSG with an eye on Atletico and Dortmund.
    Napoli XI: Ospina; Maksimovic, Albiol, Koulibaly, Rui; Hamsik, Allan, Fabian; Callejon, Insigne, Mertens.

PSG XI: Buffon; Marquinhos, Silva, Kehrer; Meunier, Verratti, Draxler, Bernat; Di Maria, Neymar, Mbappe.
    Atletico XI: Oblak; Juanfran, Gimenez, Lucas, Luis; Rodri, Thomas; Saul, Corre; Griezmann, Kalinic.

Dortmund XI: Burki; Piszczek, Akanji, Toprak, Hakimi; Witsel, Delaney; Pulisic, Reus, Sancho; Alcacer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alot of arrogance on show from Klopp with his selection. He and the team seemed to think red star were just going to roll over and have their bellies tickled.

More concerning for Liverpool has to be how banjaxed the team looks. Only a third of the way through the season and they look a bit funked already. Klopp not having any other card to play other than the press could see another fruitless season despite record breaking sums of money being spent.

A crap performance can be accepted with a win.

A good performance can be accepted with a loss.

A shyt performance AND a loss too though.

Pressure is on Jurgen now.

Can he turn things around or will he just throw in the towel like he did at Dortmund.

• That loss was coming for Liverpool tbf
    Some bizarre decisions tactically also, alot of long balls too
    Lallana is a weak link in that squad

As for Henry, jaysus that's a bad hammering
    Will he be sacked already??

• Looking forward to Inter v Barca, tie of the night IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd say that red star team didn't even cost as much as one Virgil van dyke did it?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
Advertisement