Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

PSG look to have improved at the back and had a bit of fight about them tonight. It might be their year. Don't fancy Madrid. They look ordinary.
    Nobody else stands out. City just don't look good enough.
    Not Sure PSG are that good at the back,tonight they had nothing really to deal with,Pool attack was non-existent.
    Had they 2 shots on target ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They told us to come back when they lost, so here we are;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

They told us to come back when they lost, so here we are

Who lost mate?

Don't think tonight counts as this game apparently didn't matter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Berserker wrote: »
    Yes but Liverpool can't afford to drop points in the PL. Every game this month is a must win, if they want to win the title and that Napoli game is a huge game also now. If they got the win tonight and they got exactly what they deserved from the game, i.e. nothing, their big players could have had a rest week in the middle of the month, in preparation for the Man United game, who've nothing to play for that week.

Sure no team can afford to drop points in the league if that is your logic,why is it any different for Liverpool,every club is fighting for something over the next month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not Sure PSG are that good at the back,tonight they had nothing really to deal with,Pool attack was non-existent.

One shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The right back is a big improvement for them and the left back I think it was beat Salah to every ball played through. Buffon very experienced too. If they top the group they could get a nice run.

Sure no team can afford to drop points in the league if that is your logic,why is it any different for Liverpool,every club is fighting for something over the next month

Liverpool are trying to compete with Man City for the title. It's between the two of them. If they want to challenge Man City, they can't afford to drop points in any home games or in any away game against a side outside the top six. That's where the bar is for title challengers this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PSG look to have improved at the back and had a bit of fight about them tonight. It might be their year. Don't fancy Madrid. They look ordinary.
    Nobody else stands out. City just don't look good enough.

I think their midfield will let them down. There's talk of Rabiot leaving in January since he won't sign a contract extension and the fans have also turned on him. Also they've needed a top class DM for a while and last January got Lass Diarra in who is not up to it. Verratti is a yellow card magnet and picks up the odd niggling injury from time to time so they could be in a spot of bother unless they dip into the transfer market this January, but it's tough to get a top player in that position at that time.

I would have Juve as my favourites to win it as things stand. Great coach, nice balance to the side, and the Ronaldo factor will prove important in close ties in the latter stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is all set up for a Liverpool 1-0 win and a Neymar last minute own goal in Serbia to earn FK Crvena zvezda
    a draw!

Liverpool......out

Liverpool through as winners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Who doesn’t? It’s Christmas.
    Correct. City have nine games in thirty days in december. One LC game and one CL game, the rest are PL games which, I assume, all PL clubs will have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

1 or 2 shots on target suggests a good defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Welcome back. It's been so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

niallo27 wrote: »
    Welcome back. It's been so long.

No I was around earlier too.

But cheers lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

greendom wrote: »
    1 or 2 shots on target suggests a good defence

United have played against dreadful defences and mustered up similar so no it doesn't :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Do people think Napoli will be a walk over or something ? Liverpool will do well to beat them.

I wasn't saying what I think will happen, just what the permutations were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Napoli will get the job done. Too strong for Liverpool I think, particularly the way Liverpool are playing in Europe. They won't get a run on Napoli like they did on Roma in Anfield. In hindsight, Liverpool are very fortunate Napoli made a mess of beating Red Star in the first round or they'd be out now.

Porto always seem to get such handy groups every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

United have played against dreadful defences and mustered up similar so no it doesn't :pac:

Perhaps, but when was the last time Liverpool were restricted to so few shots. For United that's pretty commonplace nowadays 😉

Napoli will get the job done. Too strong for Liverpool I think, particularly the way Liverpool are playing in Europe. They won't get a run on Napoli like they did on Roma in Anfield. In hindsight, Liverpool are very fortunate Napoli made a mess of beating Red Star in the first round or they'd be out now.

Porto always seem to get such handy groups every year

Yep, the swashbuckling Liverpool we saw in Europe last season is no more and the new, more controlled Liverpool don't have enough, looking at their away performances so far, to get the job done in the CL on the road. On the flip side, this new Liverpool will probably win the league or will come very, very close to doing so. I would question why they can't be both, i.e. sensible in the league and swashbuckling in Europe. Is it too much to ask these players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liverpool where poor last night and didn't deserve a win,
    But losing away to PSG is no shame the Belgard game is where they messed up

Although Liverpool where awful I have to say the ref had a mare, Verrati should have had a straight red and then made numerous fouls after his yellow 3 of which where holding players so I can't for the life of me understand how he didn't walk ,

Neymar is a stain on football ,he screamed twice last night without anyone touching him, both times the ref didn't give a free but didn't even have a word wit him , He ran out of body parts to point at and at one stage pointed at his hair, The dive when him and Shaq where in the corner was farcical ,

How after the world cup have ref's not just decide to book him after his first dive, it would make there life's so much easier ,

• Advertisement

But losing away to PSG is no shame the Belgard game is where they messed up

Although Liverpool where awful I have to say the ref had a mare, Verrati should have had a straight red and then made numerous fouls after his yellow 3 of which where holding players so I can't for the life of me understand how he didn't walk

Enough about the referee. Even with ten men, PSG would have won that game. The bigger question is what Liverpool can do in their current system of play to improve away from home in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Enough about the referee. Even with ten men, PSG would have won that game. The bigger question is what Liverpool can do in their current system of play to improve away from home in Europe?

Well if they end up playing in the Europa league it should be a bit easier for them as Red Star are out. Every cloud and all that.

It's just easier to blame the ref than actually question the management.

Ye Liverpool where poor we can all agree but it was 1-0 when Veratti should have walked and he is there most important players , It would have changed the game no doubt,
    Anyway these things happen and losing to PSG is no shame , it all goes down to the last day ,

It's just easier to blame the ref than actually question the management.

No the management wasn't good either,
    There not inclusive , both can be good , both can be bad ,on can be good one can be bad,

Lots of people thought the midfield was to conservative along with the change's at the back didn't help and I agree
    but in the bigger picture only losing by a goal now means 1-0 v Napoli would put us through ,

That game didn't really matter last night anyways.

Although Klopp seemed very agitated last night in post game interview.

No the management wasn't good either,
    There not inclusive , both can be good , both can be bad ,on can be good one can be bad,

Lots of people thought the midfield was to conservative along with the change's at the back didn't help and I agree
    but in the bigger picture only losing by a goal now means 1-0 v Napoli would put us through ,

So going into the last 2 games Liverpool knew they had to beat Napoli in the last day no matter what.

If they won last night beating Napoli would have left them top of the group, but with less pressure having already gotten through.

Draw last night still would need to have beat Napoli to go through but any score would have seen them through.

As it stands now still need to be Napoli but with a huge pressure now. A tight 1-0 will see Liverpool through and depending on other results Napoli too.

If Napoli score Liverpool need to score 2 more goals, so it is going to be a very cagey game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Is there anything to be said for an alternative table?

If Napoli score, Liverpool need to win by two clear goals though, I believe.
    That game didn't really matter last night anyways.

Of course it did, if Liverpool won last night then PSG would have been out of the equation.

• Advertisement

Liverpool can still win the group ,
    If they win by any score (even2-1) v Napoli and PSG draw away to Belgrade ,

All 3 would be level and it would go down to a mini league , wich Liverpool would have 6 points and the other two would have 5

Group A
    Club Brugge (BEL) V Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Monaco (FRA) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Atlético Madrid (ESP) - Will win if they win or Borussia Dortmund (GER) do not
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Will finish top if they win and Atlético Madrid (ESP) do not
    Club Brugge (BEL) - Drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League
    Monaco (FRA) - Finish Bottom

Group B
    Barcelona (ESP) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
    Internazionale Milano (ITA) V PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Barcelona (ESP) - Group Winners
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - Need to match or better Internazionale Milano (ITA) result
    Internazionale Milano (ITA) - Will finish 2nd if they better Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) result
    PSV Eindhoven (NED) - Finish Bottom

Group C
    Liverpool (ENG) V Napoli (ITA)
    Crvena zvezda (SRB) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Napoli (ITA) - A draw or a loss along with a loss for Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) will see them through
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Will be through with a win or if Liverpool (ENG) do not win
    Liverpool (ENG) - Most win. If Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) win Liverpool (ENG) most win 1-0 or by 2 clear goals. If Liverpool (ENG), Napoli (ITA) and Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) finish on 9 points Liverpool (ENG) will finish 1st with 2nd depending on other Results
    Crvena zvezda (SRB) - Will finish 3rd if they win and Liverpool (ENG) do not

Group D
    17:55 Kick-Offs
    Schalke (GER) V Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    Galatasaray (TUR) V Porto (POR)

Porto (POR) - Group Winners
    Schalke (GER) - Runners up
    Galatasaray (TUR) - Will finish 3rd with a win or if Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) do not
    Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) - Will finish 3rd with a win and Galatasaray (TUR) do not.

Group E
    Ajax (NED) V Bayern München (GER)
    Benfica (POR) V AEK Athens (GRE)

Bayern München (GER) - are through and need a draw to finish 1st
    Ajax (NED) - are through but need to win to finish 1st
    Benfica (POR) - Drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League
    AEK Athens (GRE) - Finish bottom

Group F
    Manchester City (ENG) V Hoffenheim (GER)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Lyon (FRA)

Manchester City (ENG) - are through and will finish 1st if they draw and Lyon (FRA) do not win
    Lyon (FRA) - will be through with a draw, will finish 1st on head to head if they win and Manchester City (ENG) do not
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) - will be through with a win. They will drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League if they draw and Hoffenheim (GER) do not win
    Hoffenheim (GER) - must win and Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) to drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Group G
    Real Madrid (ESP) V CSKA Moskva (RUS)
    Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) V Roma (ITA)

Real Madrid (ESP) - Group Winners
    Roma (ITA) - Runners Up
    Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) - will drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League by matching CSKA Moskva (RUS) result
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) - must pick up more points than Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) to drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Group H
    Valencia (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG)
    Young Boys (SUI) V Juventus (ITA)

Juventus (ITA) - are through and will finish top with a win or Manchester United (ENG) do not win
    Manchester United (ENG) - are through and will finish top with a win and Juventus (ITA) do not win
    Valencia (ESP) - Drop into the 2018-19 UEFA Europa League
    Young Boys (SUI) - finish bottom

Of course it did, if Liverpool won last night then PSG would have been out of the equation.
    I agree with you but according to some people around here it didn't actually matter.

Seems crazy to me but who are I to argue with their logic.

I agree with you but according to some people around here it didn't actually matter.

You are the one dragging it on in each post since.

The logic behind it was I was not expecting Liverpool to win in Paris so would always have to beat Napoli in my eyes. Me, I, Solo, not some, just one persons thought and logic. Liverpool getting beat by Red Star was where the mess up happened that is the game that hurt them, not losing in Paris.

A draw last night would have been the same as a loss still needing to beat Napoli as I would expect PSG to beat Red Star. A win would have been great and totally unexpected, and would have put the group to bed with still needing to beat Napoli to finish top of the group. So for the best chance Liverpool would still need to beat Napoli on the final day. Only difference now is that there is huge pressure on Liverpool to find the form of last season where they blitzed teams and getting a few goals as sitting on a 1-0 will be too dangerous.

So can we now put that to bed? Or will it be dragged up by yourself in every post still

I'm relieved to know its only one person.

Strange logic but I won't mention it again, I'm not here to upset you.

Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If they had beaten "a bunch of farmers" then maybe last night might not have mattered. Their logic is to now beat a team that played them off the park in Italy,simples.
    Klopp moaning about teams not playing fair is so naive. They did what they had to do to win the game,for such a clever man he didn't deal with it very well. It seemed to matter to him judging by his post match reaction, but what would he know compared to the infinite knowledge of a few Liverpool fans on boards???

• Advertisement

If they had beaten "a bunch of farmers" then maybe last night might not have mattered. Their logic is to now beat a team that played them off the park in Italy,simples.
    Klopp moaning about teams not playing fair is so naive. They did what they had to do to win the game,for such a clever man he didn't deal with it very well. It seemed to matter to him judging by his post match reaction, but what would he know compared to the infinite knowledge of a few Liverpool fans on boards???

did you watch the interview ?
    He was asked about the diving he said he didn't want to say because people would say "Klopp said" but then gave his opinion and said its the life of a footballer you have to deal with it,

Liverpool lost away to PSG its not that bad in the grand scheme of things , as you said the Belgard result was the nightmare one,

"Their logic is to now beat a team that played them off the park in Italy,simples"

If you have watched football in the last 30 years you would realise playing at Anfield on a European night is not easy for any visiting team , So fans are right to be confident, Doesn't mean Napoli can't win but I certainly wouldn't be counting Liverpool out just yet,

Is there anything to be said for an alternative table?

Due to the amount of diving and playacting that went on, you could say that it was a moral victory, I suppose.

here's a question .
    If Liverpool get through and end up knocked out in the semi finals .
    Or get knocked out and win the Europa , what would be seen as the more successful ?

Just pressure is on Jurgen to win something would be people be happy if that's the Europa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Just pressure is on Jurgen to win something would be people be happy if that's the Europa ?

Pressure from who?? Boards.ie
    No pressure from the owners there which is what counts

Liverpool lost away to PSG its not that bad in the grand scheme of things , as you said the Belgard result was the nightmare one

Tallaght always a tough place to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

VAR confirmed for knock out stages.

Tuesday Games
    Group D

Schalke (GER) V Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) - Live on BT Sport 1
    Galatasaray (TUR) V Porto (POR) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

20:00 Kick-Offs
    Group A

Club Brugge (BEL) V Atlético Madrid (ESP) - Live on BT Sport Extra 4
    Monaco (FRA) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) - Live on BT Sport Extra 3

Group B
    Barcelona (ESP) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Internazionale Milano (ITA) V PSV Eindhoven (NED) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group C
    Liverpool (ENG) V Napoli (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Crvena zvezda (SRB) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - Live on BT Sport Extra 2

Wednesday Games
    Group G

Real Madrid (ESP) V CSKA Moskva (RUS) - Live on BT Sport 1
    Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) V Roma (ITA) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

20:00 Kick-Offs
    Group E

Ajax (NED) V Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport Extra 2
    Benfica (POR) V AEK Athens (GRE) - Live on BT Sport Extra 3

Group F
    Manchester City (ENG) V Hoffenheim (GER) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Lyon (FRA) - Live on BT Sport Extra 4

Group H
    Valencia (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Young Boys (SUI) V Juventus (ITA) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Very excited for Liverpool vs Napoli and Barca vs Spurs tomorrow. Two of the biggest games this season so far. Just a pity they're on at the same time.

Barca are going to rest most of their team. I bet Valverde still manages to mess up vs Levante on Sunday like he did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two more belters for today's early kick-offs.:rolleyes:

Two more belters for today's early kick-offs.:rolleyes:

Looks like Porto and Schalke have rested key players since first and second place has already been established.

Quite a lame start to what should eventually be a great evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Looks like Porto and Schalke have rested key players since first and second place has already been established.

Quite a lame start to what should eventually be a great evening.

I suppose the two final games in each group have to kick off simultaneously, so if you put the Galatarsay game on at 6 you have to do the same for the Schalke one...

Teams for Barca vs Spurs:
    Barcelona XI: Cillessen; Semedo, Lenglet, Vermaelen, Juan Miranda; Rakitic, Alena, Arthur; Dembele, Munir, Coutinho.

Tottenham XI: Lloris; Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Winks, Sissoko; Eriksen, Alli, Son; Kane.

Reports of Barca ringing the changes certainly proved accurate. Not an easy task for Spurs but they'll never have a better chance of getting a result. Messi on the bench.

Not an easy task for Spurs but they'll never have a better chance of getting a result.

A lot easier when Lenglet & the washed up Vermaelen playing & Messi not. Valverde taking the league serious anyway as he'll likely mess up in the knockout stages like last year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Inter won't be happy with that Barca team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement