Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Just saw the Allison save. Perhaps I'm being harsh but it looks like he just hit it at him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Just saw the Allison save. Perhaps I'm being harsh but it looks like he just hit it at him ?

I think that's a very accurate description. Canning calling it a miracle was gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It was hit straight at him, but he done exceptionally well to get out and make himself thus making the save possible.

I think that's a very accurate description. Canning calling it a miracle was gas

Honestly he just had to spread himself which he did. But that would be expected from anyone. I just saw everyone talking about how amazing it was and didn't see it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He was out on top of it very quickly and bad or even average keepers probably let those in. I bet the previous two Liverpool keepers would have.

I remember Schmeichel Snr made a career out of making saves by just coming out, making himself big and somehow getting a body part to block a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think what makes the Allison save so fantastic, as a Liverpool fan, is the absolute certainty Mingolet/Karius wouldn't have saved it and we'd be playing in Europe on Thursdays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I would think not too many clubs have ever qualified with only 8 pts,I think it might've happened once b4

Nah, plenty of times,

Even last 10 seasons, there has been:

Roma, Zenit (6 points), Basel, Galatasaray (7 points) Benfica, Man City, Schalke, Ac Milan (twice), CSKA, , Inter, Lyon (8 points)

All off the top of my head of course ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

RTE are pathetic - an hour of rambling before the game but just 10 minus after. Sort yourselves out.

Thems the rules. RTE have been brilliant for CL for Irish viewers for decades, it is just sad that Virgin and BT rule the roost now. RTE can't compete

So calling them pathetic is not really fair

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think what makes the Allison save so fantastic, as a Liverpool fan, is the absolute certainty Mingolet/Karius wouldn't have saved it and we'd be playing in Europe on Thursdays..

100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

All off the top of my head of course

My head's not working as good:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was more exciting in real time :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In the context of what it meant for Liverpool, it was a miracle save. Literally saved them from being knocked out.

On another note, i think VVD was a bit lucky to be on the pitch. Could have broken the lads leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think the VVD one was a yellow, it would have been a harsh red but it could have been given. I think what annoyed fans was initially the ref seemed to wave play on and then changed his mind. It looked like a fair challenge at first, not so much on the replay. A heavy challenge some may say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Kiith wrote: »
    In the context of what it meant for Liverpool, it was a miracle save. Literally saved them from being knocked out.

On another note, i think VVD was a bit lucky to be on the pitch. Could have broken the lads leg.

In realtime it looked the perfect challenge - he didn't appear to lunge and was well timed. That said - the Ref had a super view of it and took his time deciding - in slow motion it looked a real bad challenge and if he was sent packing it would have been understood why. Even though i don't think he "ment" it he went to win the ball it can happen when your momentum follows through. Winning the ball served its purpose i guess. The guy was ok afterwards so all good in the end.

As for the save, it wasn't Gordon Banks style but it was worth it's weight in gold for the outcome of the game - other keepers might have stood still (If anyone watched Shalke v Locomotiv they conceded in last kick of the game when the keeper allowed one bounce off him and then stand still!) so credit where it's due!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That win should mean that Pot 3 is no more for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think some people are missing what makes Alisson special ,

Its his positioning , foot movement and his timing , he is so good at them 3 things that he rarely has to make a wonder save ,

Literally every game there is an instance where he makes what looks like a routine save ,but if you really stop and look he'll have done something in the lead up that Migs and Karius wouldn't do and would lead to a full length save or a goal ,

He also always backs his own positioning and never panics , as in sometimes he will stay still and it leads to a routine save,

He is a top class goal keeper

I think some people are missing what makes Alisson special ,

Its his positioning , foot movement and his timing , he is so good at them 3 things that he rarely has to make a wonder save ,

Literally every game there is an instance where he makes what looks like a routine save ,but if you really stop and look he'll have done something in the lead up that Migs and Karius wouldn't do and would lead to a full length save or a goal ,

He also always backs his own positioning and never panics , as in sometimes he will stay still and it leads to a routine save,

He is a top class goal keeper

I don't think comparing Migs and Karius to Allison should be the benchmark for a top class goalkeeper infairness :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I imagine the English sides will be looking for either team from the Porto/Schalke group in the K/O's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I imagine the English sides will be looking for either team from the Porto/Schalke group in the K/O's.

Am I right in thinking City can only draw Atletico, Shalke, Ajax/Bayern or Roma.

I think the only one they would want to avoid is Atletico.

I don't mind who Liverpool get but would like to avoid Juve.

Have a feeling United get Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The only match with CL last-16 qualification at stake this evening is Shaktar v Lyon, bit of a damp squib for entertainment value tonight.

Might have a look to see if Fekir is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

garra wrote: »
    The only match with CL last-16 qualification at stake this evening is Shaktar v Lyon, bit of a damp squib for entertainment value tonight.

Might have a look to see if Fekir is playing.

Well what is left tonight is that shoot out between Shaktar and Lyon for that last spot in the 16. Also to see who finished top in that group Lyon can still finish top depending on Man Citys result

Ajax and Bayern are playing to see who finishes top

Then Juve and United group is still open for either to finish top.

As it stands
    Seeded
    Borussia Dortmund (GER)
    Barcelona (ESP)
    Paris (FRA)
    Porto (POR)
    Real Madrid (ESP)

Unseeded
    Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
    Liverpool (ENG)
    Shalke 04 (GER)
    Roma (ITA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TitianGerm wrote:
    Have a feeling United get Porto.

Well with the amount of money we bribe those officials with you would hope so. Given the decisions Liverpool are benefitting from lately with their "rubs of the green" it seems we may have to start upping the payments. Seems Liverpool are now buying more officials then us, sign of the times.

brinty wrote: »
    Well with the amount of money we bribe those officials with you would hope so. Given the decisions Liverpool are benefitting from lately with their "rubs of the green" it seems we may have to start upping the payments. Seems Liverpool are now buying more officials then us, sign of the times.

Do you ever stop. You sound like a bitter old man. :pac:

TitianGerm wrote:
    Do you ever stop. You sound like a bitter old man.

Calm down mate,no need to get overly emotional.
    It's a bit of saracasm..

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Calm down mate,no need to get overly emotional.
    It's a bit of saracasm..

Yep very emotional here laughing at you :pac:

Can we have a petition to ban the word emotional? Possible the most boring thing ever.

United Fan " lololololollololol a bit emotional there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lyon have a tendency to be a bit Spursy Inter-y and I could easily see them mess up tonight despite having had a good campaign so far. Shakhtar won't be straightforward at all. Hope they do the business but I wouldn't bet on it. I expect it to be a good game. Hope my main man Ndombele steps up once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can we have a petition to ban the word emotional? Possible the most boring thing ever.

I doubt there is any need for a petition, a few other words are off limits and I dont recall any petitions for them.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I doubt there is any need for a petition, a few other words are off limits and I dont recall any petitions for them.

"You seem a bit emotional about this"

Standard response that would be said.

It's boring to read and pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

"You seem a bit emotional about this"

Standard response that would be said.

It's either that or upset. Most likely used as substitutes for each other

And yet you continue to comment on it and suggest a petition. You sure you're not feeling a bit emotional?

You're in a safe place and we come in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ahh we will still find away of slipping it in ;);)

Meanwhile in Champions League news, CSKA have taken the lead away in Madrid thanks to Chalov's nice curled finish.

2-0 CSKA now!

Poor Madrid defending. Schennikov with the finish.

FYI I'm not a Liverpool fan. It's just toxic reading.

So for those that responded above.

Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Lyon have a tendency to be a bit Spursy Inter-y and I could easily see them mess up tonight despite having had a good campaign so far. Shakhtar won't be straightforward at all. Hope they do the business but I wouldn't bet on it. I expect it to be a good game. Hope my main man Ndombele steps up once again.
    Lyona are comfortably the best side we've faced this season so far. They beat us in Manchester, and should have beaten us out there as well.

blueser wrote: »
    Lyona are comfortably the best side we've faced this season so far. They beat us in Manchester, and should have beaten us out there as well.

Agreed they were very good in those games, though I watched their home game with Shakhtar and they were lucky to get a draw in that one. In the first half especially they were second best. Also their domestic form is up and down of late. If they bring their A game they should be okay but that's a big if. Team news:
    Shakhtar XI: Pyatov; Matviyenko, Khocholava, Krytsov, Ismaily; Stepanenko, Maycon; Marlos, Kovalenko, Taison; Moraes.

Lyon XI: Lopes; Marcelo, Denayer, Marcal; Tete, Aouar, Tousart, Mendy; Fekir; Traore, Depay.

Ndombele has been benched as he's carrying an injury. That worries me as he's huge for them. I've a feeling he'll come on at some stage. Big shoes for Tousart to fill. Hoping the quality of Aouar, Mendy, Fekir and Depay will be enough to get them over the line.

3-0 CSKA. This is turning into a significant embarrassment for Madrid despite their line-up changes. Sigurddson with the finish after poor defending again.

Crazy thing is Plzen are beating Roma 2-1 so even if CSKA pull off this result, as it stands they won't even get into the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jose to Madrid in January?

• Advertisement

Unless they are going to pay off his contract Jose is going nowhere untill top 4 is gone, the only thing ed seems to be tight with when it comes to money is paying off managers, although that possibly has to do with the length of contract he gives them

Full-Time and Plzen go into the Europa League after beating Roma. CSKA out of Europe despite beating the European Champions 3-0 on their own patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Madrid are a bit of a shambles at present, but surely there would be no logic in taking Jose back?

The man has proved he is done at the top level of football now. He's yesterday's news.

Interested to see how Joelinton does against City. He's looked a quality player for Hoffenheim, although he's been quiet the last few weeks.

Penalty to Hoffenheim, seconds after Ederson had made a great fingertip save to deny Kramaric. Laporte conceded it.

And Kramaric scores. 1-0 Hoffenheim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Penalty to Hoffenheim, seconds after Ederson had made a great fingertip save to deny Kramaric. Laporte conceded it.

And Kramaric scores. 1-0 Hoffenheim.

Cracking save!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A shame that the BT Sport Extra channels are only in SD. Good game tonight between Ajax and Bayern.

Traore went close to giving Lyon the lead. Was one on one with keeper Pyatov and the keeper made a nice stop with his leg.

A lot of snow falling in this game. Orange ball is out and orange markings on the field too.

Shakhtar have taken the lead. Moraes with the finish after their first real attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Horrific from Costa... Totally his fault.

Advertisement