Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spurs the undoubted best performers of this week, one foot in the QFs.

PSG done a professional job on Utd and I cant see Utd going to Paris having to overturn a 2 goal loss.

Real were haunted to win in Amsterdam but will have enough quality to get through when it matters.

Didnt see any of the Roma game but they had a great run last year and if they get adecent draw in the QFs, could easily make the SF again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very surprised at the Spurs result. I fear after imploding at home last weekend that Dortmund will nosedive & lose the Bundesliga now. Last night looked quite a bad result but I watched the other game tbf.
    Real will be happy with that result but damn they were bad against Ajax. Always looked one pass away from being cut open. I don't know how they beat Atletico & drew at Barca in recent weeks after seeing them play like that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ramos so arrogant he admitted picking up a booking so he could sit out the return leg v Ajax, UEFA not happy and could ban him for quarter final first leg should they progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This weeks Round of 16 1st Legs
    Tuesday 19th Feb

Liverpool (ENG) V Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Lyon (FRA) V Barcelona (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 3

Wednesday 20th Feb
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) V Juventus (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Shalke 04 (GER) V Manchester City (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

After last night it is the turn of the big teams tonight.

Should be a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lyon and Barcelona could be interesting but can see Liverpool giving Bayern a bit of a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

xtal191 wrote: »
    Lyon and Barcelona could be interesting but can see Liverpool giving Bayern a bit of a hiding.
    Think Liverpool will go through but can see Bayern nicking a goal or 2 without VVD there tonight. Talk of Firmino missing would be a setback as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Down to 4th choice CB and a midfielder playing CB tonight. RB just back from injury. Bobby a doubt with a virus. It'll be a close game, very important to not let Bayern score I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tuff tuff game for Liverpool Matip and Fab as your 2 Cb is huge disadvantage,
    Your also then missing Fab from midfield,
    I think it'll be a draw or a 2-1 win for Bayern ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ebbsy wrote: »
    After last night it is the turn of the big teams tonight.

Should be a great game.

Agreed ! Who would you put your money on ? Lyon or Barcelona ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

greendom wrote: »
    Agreed ! Who would you put your money on ? Lyon or Barcelona ?

You cant look past barca but i wouldn't be too surprised if lyon got a draw. Barca almost let real back into the title race so they arent unbeatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

You cant look past barca but i wouldn't be too surprised if lyon got a draw. Barca almost let real back into the title race so they arent unbeatable

Fekir being suspended is a big loss for lyon. I'd still fancy them to give barca a go though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd love Lyon to get a positive result but I think they need everybody fit to have a hope. Losing Fekir is bad enough but there's doubts over the fitness of Denayer and Ndombele too. If those two don't make it I can't see Lyon having any realistic chance.

Hard to know what to expect. When they produce their maximum they can beat anyone as they showed against City and PSG, but they're so inconsistent. My feeling is Messi will break their hearts. I think Barca by a goal (or two or three if Denayer, Ndombele are absent).

Lyon vs Barcelona teams:
    Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Marcelo, Denayer, Mendy; Ndombele, Aouar; Traore, Depay, Terrier; Dembele.

Barcelona XI: Ter Stegen; Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Jordi Alba; Rakitic, Busquets, Sergi Roberto; Messi, Suarez, Dembele.

Pleased to see Ndombele and Denayer have made it. Terrier gets the nod ahead of Cornet in attack. Lenglet and Dembele will be eager to impress on their return to France. Umtiti has also made the bench.

Fancy Barca to win with that formidable attack but hope there's an upset in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Liverpool going to go to town on Bayern and win by three goals according to RTE. Is the Lyon v Barcelona game on television? Will switch over when Liverpool have the tie won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy Bayern tonight. Liverpool central defense is a big problem.
    Fancy Barca, they had a frustrating game the other night and I reckon the response to that will see them win comfortably tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Think it will be a comfortable win for Liverpool tonight. That Bayern side cant handle power/pace at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

This 3 week gap between legs is a bit crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Brady mumbling along and repeating himself over and over, just admitted he hasn't seen Gnabry or Coman, who've been on the scene a while now. Surely retirement is imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Brady mumbling along and repeating himself over and over, just admitted he hasn't seen Gnabry or Coman, who've been on the scene a while now. Surely retirement is imminent.

He was at Arsenal as director of youth football when Gnabry was at Arsenal as a youth too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RTE badly need to get in a few panelists that actually watch games or at least do a bit of homework on the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'd love Lyon to get a positive result but I think they need everybody fit to have a hope. Losing Fekir is bad enough but there's doubts over the fitness of Denayer and Ndombele too. If those two don't make it I can't see Lyon having any realistic chance.

Hard to know what to expect. When they produce their maximum they can beat anyone as they showed against City and PSG, but they're so inconsistent. My feeling is Messi will break their hearts. I think Barca by a goal (or two or three if Denayer, Ndombele are absent).
    They're the team that's impressed me most of all our opponents this season. Very impressive. Not sure they've got enough to overcome Barca over two legs though.

Close from Terrier. Denied by Ter Stegen.

Still take him over Kevin Doyle. Not sure what he brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Berserker wrote:
    Liverpool going to go to town on Bayern and win by three goals according to RTE. Is the Lyon v Barcelona game on television? Will switch over when Liverpool have the tie won.

BT

Bayern on the ropes here at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Games slow to take off again tonight. Is this always the way in the knockout stages or just a weird quirk of this year's competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Games slow to take off again tonight. Is this always the way in the knockout stages or just a weird quirk of this year's competition?

??

This has been a very open attacking game. Far from "slow to take off" Numerous half decent chances

Watching the Liverpool game and they should be ahead. Game is far from slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It’s a cracking game for a 0-0

• Advertisement

??

This has been a very open attacking game. Far from "slow to take off" Numerous half decent chances
    Berserker wrote: »
    Slow, watching the Liverpool game and they should be ahead. Game is far from slow.

Superficially judging the games on being 0-0 at nearly half time, guess I'm up there with the RTE panel.:P

Beautiful football from Lyon. Shame Terrier's finish was poor.

Half-Time in France and it's 0-0. Barca on top but Lyon have had chances as well. Been disappointed in Depay and Traore out wide. Not really testing Barca at all. Ndombele been sloppy with his passing too. Good job Denayer made it as he's been very good. Barca's Dembele looking threatening too.

Immense performance from Denayer so far.

Guess 0-0 would be okay for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

@RTE

No need to apologise for the loss of commentary

Guess 0-0 would be okay for Liverpool

It's an interesting score. They've been terrible away from home in Europe, losing all three games but you'd fancy them to score. Bayern will be happy with this score. Don't think Bayern had a shot on target all game.

Full-Time and it ends 0-0 in Lyon. Fantastic defensive display from Jason Denayer. I need to search out a comp of this display. I've now seen him produce superb showings against Man City, PSG and Barca this season. What a signing he's been. Thought Dubois did well too at RB. Lyon didn't offer much in attack though.

Barca not at their best tonight. Unusually quiet showing from Messi. Suarez went close late on. Thought Semedo was Barca's best player.

Fair play to Lyon for keeping the contest alive heading to the second leg. Done themselves proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then four of the most top sides in Europe and not a single goal. Did Coutinho get off the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

@RTE

No need to apologise for the loss of commentary

The sheer ****ing arrogance that they think we want the game noise tuned out to hear the studio pundits blather on is pretty emblematic of what's wrong with RTE.

• Advertisement

So then four of the most top sides in Europe and not a single goal. Did Coutinho get off the bench?

He came on for Dembele late on but I thought Dembele was a bigger threat overall. Didn't think that substitution worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Lyon will fancy an away goal on the break in the Nou Camp.

I'd fancy Bayern to do Liverpool at home. They've raised their game for the occasion and will have the experience to grind it out. Liverpool's gung ho football has disappeared when they need it, either that or they're a pass short of pulling it off everytime, plus they've been poor away from home. Need to be more clinical with that ball through the eye of a needle stuff at this level. It's always Guardiola's downfall too.

Bayern could be darkhorses to win it outright too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think tonights games showed that this is probably the most open CL competition ever.

There's about 6 or so teams who must fancy a good run at it this season. There's not one outstanding team so far on the performances.

Maybe when City stuff Schalke they will be the hot favs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think tonights games showed that this is probably the most open CL competition ever.

There's about 6 or so teams who must fancy a good run at it this season. There's not one outstanding team so far on the performances.

Maybe when City stuff Schalke they will be the hot favs?

If ever there was a season its Citys to step up, as a Spurs man I'd have ulterior motives but the game City play deserves a CL sooner rather than later. CR7 and Juventus big obstacle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If ever there was a season its Citys to step up, as a Spurs man I'd have ulterior motives but the game City play deserves a CL sooner rather than later. CR7 and Juventus big obstacle though.

I have a sneaking suspicion Atleti will give them a tough game over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Barcelona's xG last night was 2.86!

NBE86n.jpg

b5jl6e.jpg

• Advertisement

Teams for Schalke vs Man City:
    Schalke XI: Fahrmann; Caligiuri, Bruma, Sane, Nastasic, Oczipka; Serdar, McKennie, Bentaleb, Mendyl; Uth.

Man City XI: Ederson; Walker, Fernandinho, Otamendi, Laporte; Gundogan, De Bruyne, Silva; Bernardo, Sterling, Aguero.

BBC think Fernandinho plays in defence. Not sure about that. Wouldn't be surprised if Pep is going 3 at the back. Perhaps it's 3-2-4-1 and he's trying to end the tie early. Schalke don't look like they're eager to be too adventurous since they've left the creative Amine Harit on the bench.

I'll say a City win by two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Teams for Schalke vs Man City:

BBC think Fernandinho plays in defence. Not sure about that. Wouldn't be surprised if Pep is going 3 at the back. Perhaps it's 3-2-4-1 and he's trying to end the tie early. Schalke don't look like they're eager to be too adventurous since they've left the creative Amine Harit on the bench.

I'll say a City win by two goals.

City should have nothing to fear at the weekend and I expect them to complete a domestic cup double this year and wouldnt bet against them doing a domestic treble TBH.

CL is the holy grail for City and Pep and theyre not far off being winners IMO bit of luck here and there and they could win it all this year.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    City should have nothing to fear at the weekend and I expect them to complete a domestic cup double this year and wouldnt bet against them doing a domestic treble TBH.

CL is the holy grail for City and Pep and theyre not far off being winners IMO bit of luck here and there and they could win it all this year.

I agree things are looking good for them on the domestic cup front. I wonder what Pep's private thoughts are on the Liverpool/Bayern tie. Does he want the team that eliminated him last season and which always gives him a tough game to go out and thus theoretically increase his chances of winning the Champions League, or would he be so worried that would help them in the league run-in that he'd rather see Liverpool advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Am I imagining things or does the Schalke pitch look absolutely massive? Must be max size for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

Why were the Atletico fans jeering the CL theme tune? Did UEFA punish the club somehow recently?

• Advertisement
Advertisement