Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Haha how did Benzema miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Real are a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I thought it was a rubbish pass from Modric, was going to end up behind Benzema. Should have passed it sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bale is going to get destroyed in the Madrid press.

Don't worry, he won't have a clue what they'll be saying about him.

Manager gone surely , beaten twice by Barca last week and now this shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How did he miss that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ajax should have had another.

Jesus that could have been another one.

Madness.

Ajax could have had 7 or 8 goals over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus Madrid are a shambles. And a few of those players aren't too bothered at all, no urgency at all, even when the tie was still alive. Kroos is either past it or just doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't know how so many of these Madrid players have been so bad this season, I know Ronaldo left but that doesn't explain what happened Isco, Kroos, Varane and Marcelo performing the way they have this season.

• Advertisement

Solari looking like he's crying, poor fella an awful job where a certain centre back calls the shots.

Zidane definitely has a crystal ball, I don't think anyone could have seen them been this sh*t this year.

Theyve been poor in the CL in the last 3 years but still got through some games when they shouldn't have and they were poor in the league.

Not replacing Ronaldo in the summer and they're questionable approach that disrupted Spain WC chances, I'm delighted they're going out and in this fashion too.

Theyve had their pants down tonight and spanked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nacho night Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Bale has been shocking too...just was not in the game. I'm delighted for Real Madrid fans lol

That's petulant from Nacho.

"Modric the world's best player officially."

I'd forgotten about that until the commentator mentioned it. What a nonsense award that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think Nacho missed the point when he was told to step into Ramos' role today!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theyve been poor in the CL in the last 3 years but still got through some games when they shouldn't have and they were poor in the league.

But they were more clinical back then and to be fair were not beating top teams but hammering them in the end.

What a night, fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn’t enjoy Niall Quinn as a pundit tonight at all.
    Just too boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Its baffling how Man Utd sold Blind and kept dross like Smalling and Jones.

Blind was regularly dominated in the PL. Just didn't have the pace or physicality for certain types of strikers and midfielders. A really nice player and better than Jones, but he really was not an amazing player at United despite seeing a good but of gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chatting online to two Dutch friends, they are so excited.

"Modric the world's best player officially."

I'd forgotten about that until the commentator mentioned it. What a nonsense award that was.

Ya, its pretty pointless but rewards whoever gets the furthest in the CL or Euro/WC.

Modric wasn't even the best player at the WC.

It should have been Mbappe, Griezmann or Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very enjoyable game ajax were brilliant going forward and Madrid were appaling. Everyone loves an underdog story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just imagine if Ajax actually went on to win it. I know how unlikely it is, but they have quality in all the right areas of the pitch, if they get the winner of Porto vs. Roma in the quarters they’re only 3 matches away.

Fantasy stuff of course, but I think every football fan wants to see an Ajax resurgence at some point. They played gorgeous football tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Ajax will be hard to stop, they were very good in the first game also.

Delighted for the Madrid fans, hopefully they won't be touching the trophy for a long long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Madrid full of players who've won it all multiple times and don't look hungry anymore. Compounded by the loss of Zidane and Ronaldo in the summer and I'd say they lost the necessary edge.

A big clearout was required last summer and it didn't happen and they're going to get bent over for any signing this summer.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just imagine if Ajax actually went on to win it. I know how unlikely it is, but they have quality in all the right areas of the pitch, if they get the winner of Porto vs. Roma in the quarters they’re only 3 matches away.

Fantasy stuff of course, but I think every football fan wants to see an Ajax resurgence at some point. They played gorgeous football tonight.

Such a shame though that such a talented team will be poached in no time just like Monaco. One of the players already going to Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So the Galacticos are gone and there is fcuk all available to replace them,they need 6/7 players at a cost of circa 750m ,they could be gone for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If there is one thing that unites us it's delight in seeing Real Madrid crash and burn.

This summer is going to be fascinating on so many levels.

Can't see Solari surviving this. Someone has to be sacrificed and it can't be the players at this moment in time. I think he could be gone tomorrow.

If they do send him on his way they could do worse than give it to Wenger until the end of the season. See how the players take to it. But I genuinely think they'll go for Mourinho. As I understand it he has many allies in the board and he remains popular with a section of the fanbase.

Can't see Solari surviving this. Someone has to be sacrificed and it can't be the players at this moment in time. I think he could be gone tomorrow.

If they do send him on his way they could do worse than give it to Wenger until the end of the season. See how the players take to it. But I genuinely think they'll go for Mourinho. As I understand it he has many allies in the board and he remains popular with a section of the fanbase.

I hope they do, himself and Ramos will have war again.

I'd be shocked if Maureen is brought back to RM,surely he's burnt all his bridges there

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I'd be shocked if Maureen is brought back to RM,surely he's burnt all his bridges there

I thought certain phrases were banned here?

• Advertisement

So the Galacticos are gone and there is fcuk all available to replace them,they need 6/7 players at a cost of circa 750m ,they could be gone for a few years

I can see them getting Hazard in the summer which would mean a much cheaper option than Neymar and Hazard just as good but I wouldn't be surprised if they get Neymar especially if they sell Bale lol

3 Champions League in a row...that will not be happening again anytime soon for any team. Their the ultimate cup team. Look at a team like Bayern who have won 1 champions league in nearly a decade and even Barca have only won 1 in the last 6-7 years so its not easy.

Eh? Nothing offensive in what I said,unless I'm missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sancho is a very talented young winger but nowhere near the £100m player yet the English media keep talking about.

Bale as he is now any team in England would be crazy to spend big money on him.

Apparently Ramos vowed he would leave Real if he came back lol A lot of the players he fell out with are gone though like Pepe, Ronaldo, Iker Casilas and so on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Eh? Nothing offensive in what I said,unless I'm missing something

I'm sure it's okay, the charter doesn't apply to emotional types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Would be no harm to Real if Ramos left. 32 and a headbanger always worth a card. Modric probably on the wain now aswell. Hazard and De Ligt would be possible replacements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If he gets it, Ramos will be gone

"Ajax’s *total* revenue last season was less than what the Premier League’s 20th-placed club West Brom earned from TV income *alone*.

Real Madrid, by contrast, had the biggest revenues in world football. Good recruitment, youth development, coaching can get you a long way."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ajax have been the best team in the Netherlands for the last 7 or 8 years , yet haven't won the league in the last 4 years despite this current squad being their best. They were awesome to watch, played Madrid off the field over 180 minutes. Of all the traditional stalwarts in the European game, it's probably Ajax and Benfica who have been hit hardest with money leaving the smaller leagues. Good to watch them play at this level once more. The whole Celtic fiasco did put me off them a bit though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

beya2009 wrote: »
    "Ajax’s *total* revenue last season was less than what the Premier League’s 20th-placed club West Brom earned from TV income *alone*.

Real Madrid, by contrast, had the biggest revenues in world football. Good recruitment, youth development, coaching can get you a long way."

Yes,the Ajax wage budget for the 1st ,2nd and youth team is a paltry 28 million euro.
    That is less than Gareth Bales annual salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I loved that Ajax victory tonight.

For me it was like watching football from my youth, not complicated with tactics or negativity.

Even at 0-2 they wanted to keep playing football. And keep scoring. 99% of top managers, the so called geniuses would have shut up shop and be happy to try to hang on. Not Ajax, not in their mantality. And for that I am so glad they were rewarded.

And how silly does Ramos' yellow look now. He thought the tie was over, but Madrid weren't even the best team in the 1st leg either, so he got what he deserved. I have no doubt with him in the defence tonight Madrid would have had a better chance to go through, as they are a shambled without him. All over the place.

Madrid full of old timers that needs shifted on now. They need about 6 new faces next season.

As for Ajax, it'll take a good team to beat them this year. And worst of all , their best talent will be taken by the super rich and they will have to start building again. Its not fair but thats the way of the football world now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It gets worse (well better) ................ Ramos was shooting his own upcoming documentary in the stadium tonight as the game went on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll need a bit of editing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It gets worse (well better) ................ Ramos was shooting his own upcoming documentary in the stadium tonight as the game went on!

I can't believe they're even making that.... who needs to watch 8 hours of sergio ramos?! 8 hours of a full club feels like a stretch more often than not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I can't believe they're even making that.... who needs to watch 8 hours of sergio ramos?! 8 hours of a full club feels like a stretch more often than not...

8 hours? Would he not just do a film like ronaldo. I like him because he is the type of player tbat just makes all around him better even if he does have nasty persoality traits but i still like suarez and co.

Nice to see ajax go through, though i dont think they'll get through. They beat bayern already iirc. Hard to believe thats the same tadic as at Southampton. Good for the competition

Madrid team is too stale. Kroos and modric have been there and seen it. Needs more change . viniscus junior is still too young and there is no potent goalscorer in that team for all pf benzema's endeavour

• Advertisement
Advertisement