Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

didn't see it mentioned and didn't fully hear it but in the aftermatch commentary they were saying that Overmars said something like, the wage bill for the Ajax squad, the U21s and youth sides is less than what Gareth Bale is on.

Bit lousy to shine a spotlight on GB but it's amazing if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure GB doesn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Delighted they're gone. A lot of ****e is often spouted about supporters of particular clubs... All Liverpool fans are x, all united fans are y etc etc, when the truth is all football fans are the same the world over..... Apart from Madrid fans that is, who are a truly unique bunch of spoiled brats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    didn't see it mentioned and didn't fully hear it but in the aftermatch commentary they were saying that Overmars said something like, the wage bill for the Ajax squad, the U21s and youth sides is less than what Gareth Bale is on.

Bit lousy to shine a spotlight on GB but it's amazing if true

Not sure it’s a great boast to be making for Ajax... it’s exactly the reason this great young team will have been absolutely gutted to pieces come August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

true I was thinking that myself afterwards, he's in the management team of Ajax somewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

NIMAN wrote: »
    As for Ajax, it'll take a good team to beat them this year. And worst of all , their best talent will be taken by the super rich and they will have to start building again. Its not fair but thats the way of the football world now.
    de Jong already signed to Barcelona for €75m

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What's the story with playing the advantage for offsides now (related to VAR)? A few times they let play continue until the chance was over/ball was out, then went back. And other times they flagged it immediately, and stopped play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kiith wrote: »
    What's the story with playing the advantage for offsides now (related to VAR)? A few times they let play continue until the chance was over/ball was out, then went back. And other times they flagged it immediately, and stopped play.

Well if a linesman raises his flag defenders will stop playing. It is to stop that kind of situations in tight calls so if a goal is scored or a pen awarded they can go back 1st and check if it was onside or offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

8 hours? Would he not just do a film like ronaldo. I like him because he is the type of player tbat just makes all around him better even if he does have nasty persoality traits but i still like suarez and co.

Nice to see ajax go through, though i dont think they'll get through. They beat bayern already iirc. Hard to believe thats the same tadic as at Southampton. Good for the competition

Madrid team is too stale. Kroos and modric have been there and seen it. Needs more change . viniscus junior is still too young and there is no potent goalscorer in that team for all pf benzema's endeavour

Ajax and Bayern drew twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

beya2009 wrote: »
    "Ajax’s *total* revenue last season was less than what the Premier League’s 20th-placed club West Brom earned from TV income *alone*.

Real Madrid, by contrast, had the biggest revenues in world football. Good recruitment, youth development, coaching can get you a long way."

Ajax have always had a great youth system and usually peppered it with some seasoned old pros.

And they have always had to sell on their talent.

Remember in the mid 80s they had koeman, Rijkaard, Winter, van Basten all of which left and went onto greater things.
    The great 90s team, which this current team isn't a patch on, had van der Saar, the de Boers, Davids, Seedorf, Kanu, Overmars, Kluivert, Litimanen, Reiziger, Bogarde.

And just before that group came good they had the likes of Jonk and Bergkamp.
    About the only top Dutch pros over last 30 years that haven't been associated with them are van Persie, Robben, van Bommel, Cocu, Gullit.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

jmayo wrote: »

And just before that group came good they had the likes of Jonk and Bergkamp.
    About the only top Dutch pros over last 30 years that haven't been associated with them are van Persie, Robben, van Bommel, Cocu, Gullit.

Makaay? Hasselbaink? van Bronkhorst? Zenden? van Hooijdonk? Kuyt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jmayo wrote:
    Remember in the mid 80s they had koeman, Rijkaard, Winter, van Basten all of which left and went onto greater things. The great 90s team, which this current team isn't a patch on, had van der Saar, the de Boers, Davids, Seedorf, Kanu, Overmars, Kluivert, Litimanen, Reiziger, Bogarde.

Some of the players in the 90's weren't the greatest. Those last 2 were very poor imo. Personally I never rated the De Boer's either.
    Davids, Kluivert, Van Der Sar & Kanu took a while to get going as all of them floundered during their first moves from Ajax to Italy. Litmanen I often wonder if he stayed somewhere would he have had a better career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I was sitting through that game with a massive smile on my face. The football Ajax played was great and to see them basically humiliate Real at their own place was tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

764dak wrote: »
    Makaay? Hasselbaink? van Bronkhorst? Zenden? van Hooijdonk? Kuyt?

Van nistelrooy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

First knockout win in 22 years! ! Holy f*ck!
    And to do it like that! Must be epic to be an Ajax fan in Madrid last night!

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Van nistelrooy.

He never played for Ajax.

My apologies, didnt read the post storyline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Van Dijk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The UCL has really recaptured some magic the last few seasons, I think.

Ajax this year look to be the big story and, at this stage, there's probably still quite a few sides you could see winning it.

But, last year, Roma (and their incredible win over Barca, especially but even qualifying from a group that had Chelsea and Atletico was no mean feat) was a great, unexpected story and the same goes for Monaco in 2016/17.

Long may it last even if we are still awaiting a surprise winner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We're all championing Ajax's old youth system as if it had something to do with the success of this team. It hasn't. It was failing and hadn't produced the goods for about 20 years. Cruyff is the architect of this teams success (well he was the first time around too), he had to go back to Ajax around 2010 with a vision to completely overhaul the youth wing as they had lost their way. It's only now its starting to pay dividends again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not sure it’s a great boast to be making for Ajax... it’s exactly the reason this great young team will have been absolutely gutted to pieces come August.

Its exactly what Ajax aim for. Develop them, keep them together for a couple of years and hopefully win something before selling the best to make way for the new batch coming through.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/sports/champions-league-ajax-madrid.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

superg wrote: »
    Its exactly what Ajax aim for. Develop them, keep them together for a couple of years and hopefully win something before selling the best to make way for the new batch coming through.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/sports/champions-league-ajax-madrid.html

Less what they aim for, and more the only way they can survive. And the reality is you get long barren stretches while you wait for the next decent crop to come through, when you can finally return to being a legitimate force in Europe for a year or so, before you have to begin again from scratch.

Like Monaco, it's just a shame we (and they) don't get to see these teams that come up together play as a cohesive unit for longer.

My point anyway was that it's more of a negative than a positive that they can't afford wages anywhere close to what their players can get elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Porto vs Roma looks intriguing and the bookies have it pretty tight. The home side are looking to overturn a 2-1 deficit. Both sides suffered disappointing defeats domestically at the weekend with Porto losing 2-1 at home to rivals Benfica, while Roma lost 3-0 away to Lazio in the derby. Teams:
    Porto XI: Casillas - Soares, Pepe, Militao, Telles - Felipe, Herrera, Danilo - Otavio, Marega, Corona.

Roma XI: Olsen - Marcano, Manolas, Jesus - Karsdorp, De Rossi, N'Zonzi, Kolarov - Zaniolo, Dzeko, Perotti.

I'd like to see Porto win through, although could easily see Dzeko crushing their hopes. Thought he looked great in the previous leg. Olsen, however, always looks dodgy to me so maybe he'll drop a clanger. I'll say Porto to edge it.

That United Bench..........

Romero,
    Rojo,
    Dalot,
    Garner,
    Chong,
    Gomes,
    Greenwood.

Christ.

PS..........Christ is not on the bench, but I reckon they could do with him, if even for the long hopeless 87th minute "crosses'

Goal for Porto. Soares puts them ahead from close range. Looked tight as to whether he was onside but VAR says it's no problem. Advantage with the Portuguese side now.

Peno to Roma. Militao fouls Perotti.

De Rossi sends Casillas the wrong way. 1-1.

Roma looked poor up to this point, seeking out balls to Dzeko. No need for the tackle by Militao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Between City and Barca for the CL. Can't see PSG keeping the heads together based on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That United Bench..........

Romero,
    Rojo,
    Dalot,
    Garner,
    Chong,
    Gomes,
    Greenwood.

Christ.

PS..........Christ is not on the bench, but I reckon they could do with him, if even for the long hopeless 87th minute "crosses'

Does Jesus not play for Manchester City, not United??

2-1 Porto. Marega gives the home side the advantage once again. Lovely ball from Corona.

Dzeko -_-

• Advertisement

Absolutely pathetic stuff from Dzeko. Embarrassing and cringeworthy.

Need a way to retrospectively punish that kind of bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Haha wtf

Roma have been so poor. Not quite Real last night but I see no reaction to their performance last weekend in the derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

As a Liverpool fan it's in my DNA to hope United lose but watching them beat PSG tonight made me smile- PSG are such a horrible, horrible team and deserve what they got tonight. Well done UTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lol @ PSG. Just. Lol.

May their horrifyingly financed misadventures continue in perpetuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Paris Spurs Germain, a proper bottle job if I've ever seen one.

:pac:

sideswipe wrote:
    As a Liverpool fan it's in my DNA to hope United lose but watching them beat PSG tonight made me smile- PSG are such a horrible, horrible team and deserve what they got tonight. Well done UTD.

Spursy needs to be changed to PSGy
    A big club who continuously fail in embarrassing circumstances as much as them when it matters on a big stage.
    Porto vs Roma going to extra time. Yes as imagined beforehand the winner of this is who you want in the quarters.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Paris Spurs Germain, a proper bottle job if I've ever seen one.

:pac:

Ah come on...we're not even playing...don't bring us into this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah come on...we're not even playing...don't bring us into this :(

At least yere fecking in it, Thursday nights are better anyway.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We all know what happens now yeh?

United get to the CL final and lose Liverpool finish 2nd in the league and this forum is a reverse of last year :pac:

Incredible result. Fair play United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Penalty was a bit of joke, mind you. Surprised Gigi Buffon didn't go on a trash-can-for-a-heart rampage, but I suppose he probably doesn't give a ****e about PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Fair play to Man U...I don't like that their through but fair play lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

20 years this year since Solksjaer and co won it in Barcelona. Hmmmmm. Delighted for PSG though the arrogant twats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the age old on away goals comeback reigns supreme again. Utterly stupid to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Spursy needs to be changed to PSGy
    A big club who continuously fail in embarrassing circumstances as much as them when it matters on a big stage.
    Porto vs Roma going to extra time. Yes as imagined beforehand the winner of this is who you want in the quarters.

A big club, really?? A rich club alright, or rather a rich man's/Middle Eastern oil state's play thing, but historically have done SFA in Europe. Long may they continue to perish in this manner.

That penalty decision though LOL. The games gone Geoff, gone. VAR my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tuchel residing over two mighty bottle jobs against English teams in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Two big chances wasted by Dzeko. Delighted as he shouldn’t be on the pitch after that dive. One of the worst ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Another VAR pen coming up here?:P

Another VAR decision in Portugal.
    Looks a pen for Porto

• Advertisement
Advertisement