Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

English premium on the betting market is my guess.

Madness to have them at favourites. If Barca put in a comfortable performance tomorrow I imagine they go favourites.

Only 0-0 there so bookies odds don't fully reflect Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I've no idea why City are favourites and have been for most of the season.
    They have no European pedigree , and have won nothing in Europe.
    Add to that their mental frailties and tendency to choke under pressure and its baffling how they are favourites.
    I'd pick Barca and Juventus over them every day of the week.

Wpuld you have picked juventus before that result. Man city are quite a side. Were beaten by a good side last year. They wpuld have made the final last year imo,only for liverpool. Juventus havent won a cl in donkeys years and barca havent performed well in recent years. Might not be favourites but its hard to look past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair he isn't really having a go at United,

He was asked the question is it better to go out for his Premier league hopes he said no, the bit about United is because Gary Neville the last two weeks has said it would help Liverpool to go out tonight,

Really not much to see in the interview at all

Once United are mentioned by Klopp in any context you like to jump on it looking for something that's not there,

Anyone counting City out and buying into what Pep was saying are silly,

City are without doubt on of the favourites to win it ,

There team is full of top class international players , Pep is just trying to take some of the pressure off he knows they have a good a chance of anyone to win it,

I'd only see Barca beating them if its a two legged tie ,If they meet in the final i'd favour City ,

The reason is you might have a chance of keeping Messi quite for one game but not two ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I think Neville is a decent pundit/analyst but let's be honest he's talking bollocks on this topic, I'm sure Liverpool being still in the CL would would be more beneficial morale wise than any supposed freshness they'd get from being out of it.

I'm sure you know this, it's pretty much a nothing quote and link you have posted, but if you'd care to post what your thoughts on the quotes and what Neville said that'd be great. Just so I know you're not wumming and have an actual opinion on the matter.

I think Neville is a decent pundit/analyst but let's be honest he's talking bollocks on this topic, I'm sure Liverpool being still in the CL would would be more beneficial morale wise than any supposed freshness they'd get from being out of it.

I'm sure you know this, it's pretty much a nothing quote and link you have posted, but if you'd care to post what your thoughts on the quotes and what Neville said that'd be great. Just so I know you're not wumming and have an actual opinion on the matter.

I think most poster who aren't childish would agree with you ,
    "oh look your manger spoke about United " such childish kids stuff ,

Neville is great at times to be fair

I don't get why one of the other panel members didn't ask him that with United in a proper battler to get 4th and a champions league place would he not say it would also suit them to be out of the Champions league to ?

• To be fair he isn't really having a go at United,

He was asked the question is it better to go out for his Premier league hopes he said no, the bit about United is because Gary Neville the last two weeks has said it would help Liverpool to go out tonight,

Really not much to see in the interview at all

Once United are mentioned by Klopp in any context you like to jump on it looking for something that's not there,

"It's really unique. It only happens if you are the Liverpool manager and the pundits come from Manchester United and start these things. It is so easy to sit in an office or a studio and talk about things like that.

It's fairly specific and it's a ridiculous statement to make.

I'd be fair certain he's not the only pundit or fan for that matter that believes that getting knocked out of the CL might actually benefit Liverpool PL chances long term due to less games thus reducing the risks of injuries.

Like City are still in every competition possible (I think). It's going to take it's toll on the squad the further they go in the FA cup and the CL.

• I think Neville is a decent pundit/analyst but let's be honest he's talking bollocks on this topic, I'm sure Liverpool being still in the CL would would be more beneficial morale wise than any supposed freshness they'd get from being out of it.

Only spotted this.
    Answers of my thoughts above ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Several Liverpool posters said pretty much the same as what Neville said yet you are calling out a poster for putting up a link with that narrative.Sacrifice the CL to concentrate on the league which is the thing that they crave most.
    The league is a 2 horse race whereas the CL is much more tricky with the likes of Juventus,City,Barca, Bayern etc still there.

"It's really unique. It only happens if you are the Liverpool manager and the pundits come from Manchester United and start these things. It is so easy to sit in an office or a studio and talk about things like that.

It's fairly specific and it's a statement to make.

I'd be fair certain he's not the only pundit or fan for that matter that believes that getting knocked out of the CL might actually benefit Liverpool PL chances long term due to less games thus reducing the risks of injuries.

Like City are still in every competition possible (I think). It's going to take it's toll on the squad the further they go in the FA cup and the CL.

Its clearly aimed at Neville who has said it multiple times and the rest of the panel have always disagreed,

How is it a ridicules statement ?

Would that not also benefit United and there fight for the top 4 ?

Its the childish way you put it that ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Several Liverpool posters said pretty much the same as what Neville said yet you are calling out a poster for putting up a link with that narrative.Sacrifice the CL to concentrate on the league which is the thing that they crave most.
    The league is a 2 horse race whereas the CL is much more tricky with the likes of Juventus,City,Barca, Bayern etc still there.

In a hypothetical world if Liverpool going out of the CL tonight guaranteed a PL win then every Liverpool fan would take it, unfortunately there is no such guarantees, so best off staying in the CL in case the PL falls through, a 6th CL would be a very nice little back up option.

When you talk about sacrificing the CL what do you suggest Liverpool do? Forfeit the match? or play it half heartedly and let Bayern win? what's the best way to sacrifice it?

Not getting called out for putting up the link,

People are rightly just saying it sounds childish way he put his post,
    He is grasping at straws to try make something of nothing ,

In reality Jurgen was saying its just Neville who is saying they would be better off out without using his name ,

Its a nothing story

The poster falls over himself to try jump at anything that comes out of Klopp's mouth its childish,

• Several Liverpool posters said pretty much the same as what Neville said yet you are calling out a poster for putting up a link with that narrative.Sacrifice the CL to concentrate on the league which is the thing that they crave most.

He's just ignoring relevant points made and pushing a narrative against a poster. Again nothing got to do with the subject of discussion.

If it was a nothing story why have so many papers and news outlets reported on it prior to a fairly significant tie in the CL.

He's just ignoring relevant points made and pushing a narrative against a poster. Again nothing got to do with the subject of discussion.

If it was a nothing story why have so many papers and news outlets reported on it prior to a fairly significant tie in the CL.

It has everything to do with the subject of your post,

Your post was to mock what Klopp said when there is nothing to mock or even a story

Neville who works for Sky has constantly said Liverpool would be better of losing , he is the only pundit to think so,

The manger is asked by sky are they better off losing, he say's NO not at all, Its a story that stemmed from an ex United player who is now a pundit,

How in gods name is that to be mocked or a big story ,

" oh look your manger mentioned united" is your take on things which comes across like a child,

Its a nothing story move on ,

• Advertisement

• It has everything to do with the subject of your post,

Your post was to mock what Klopp said when there is nothing to mock or even a story

Neville who works for Sky has constantly said Liverpool would be better of losing , he is the only pundit to think so,

The manger is asked by sky are they better off losing, he say's NO not at all, Its a story that stemmed from an ex United player who is now a pundit,

How in gods name is that to be mocked or a big story ,

" oh look your manger mentioned united" is your take on things which comes across like a child,

Its a nothing story move on ,

You don't own this thread. And you continue to invent a narrative. I will move on when I'm finished discussing it but not with you. I won't be replying to you again. Thanks.

As I said it's not a non-story. Every news outlet is reporting on it on the eve of the tie. These are the facts.

• In a hypothetical world if Liverpool going out of the CL tonight guaranteed a PL win then every Liverpool fan would take it, unfortunately there is no such guarantees, so best off staying in the CL in case the PL falls through, a 6th CL would be a very nice little back up option.

When you talk about sacrificing the CL what do you suggest Liverpool do? Forfeit the match? or play it half heartedly and let Bayern win? what's the best way to sacrifice it?

Don't think many would say lie down and get bet.

They could in theory rest some of the critical team players beyond the backbone of the squad. (AKA leave Van Dyke in there for solidity) and then mix the team with some youth or fridge players but not sacrificing all the experience.

They could in theory still have a chance of progressing and at the same time give rest to the players who need it the most for the more important League games coming up. If they get knocked out they get knocked out

Liverpool have a tricky tie away to Fulham if I understand who although have lost the last two games are in a dogfight for points.

You don't own this thread. And you continue to invent a narrative. I will move on when I'm finished discussing it but not with you. I won't be replying to you again. Thanks.

As I said it's not a non-story. Every news outlet is reporting on it on the eve of the tie. These are the facts.

Just take a second pretend its not Liverpool ( as that what has you going ) Its a manger who wants his team to get to the quarter final of the champions league and not be knocked out ,

As explained it only Neville who thinks other wise as Klopp said,

I'd love to hear how that is it to be mocked over and why is it a big story ?

You keep saying its "not a non-story" so why is it a big story ?

They could in theory rest some of the critical team players beyond the backbone of the squad. (AKA leave Van Dyke in there for solidity) and then mix the team with some youth or fridge players but not sacrificing all the experience.

They could in theory still have a chance of progressing and at the same time give rest to the players who need it the most for the more important League games coming up. If they get knocked out they get knocked out

Liverpool have a tricky tie away to Fulham if I understand who although have lost the last two games are in a dogfight for points.

As Brendan Rodger did away to Madrid, when we had United the following weekend,
    He got absolutely slaughterd by the press and the fans and his own players for doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why would they do that? Liverpool have had a light schedule in comparison to City.

The tricky away tie to Fulham who are as good as relegated, 13 points from safety.

The squad is plenty strong enough to compete in the PL and CL.

• Advertisement

• rob316 wrote: »
    Why would they do that? Liverpool have had a light schedule in comparison to City.

The tricky away tie to Fulham who are as good as relegated, 13 points from safety.

The squad is plenty strong enough to compete in the PL and CL.

I've just simply provided one possibly answer to his question. Never said it was a definite solution.

"When you talk about sacrificing the CL what do you suggest Liverpool do? Forfeit the match? or play it half heartedly and let Bayern win? what's the best way to sacrifice it?"

• Just take a second pretend its not Liverpool ( as that what has you going ) Its a manger who wants his team to get to the quarter final of the champions league and not be knocked out ,

As explained it only Neville who thinks other wise as Klopp said,

I'd love to hear how that is it to be mocked over and why is it a big story ?

You keep saying its "not a non-story" so why is it a big story ?

Last time to say it but I won't be engaging in discussion with you anymore. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I've just simply provided one possibly answer to his question. Never said it was a definite solution.

"When you talk about sacrificing the CL what do you suggest Liverpool do? Forfeit the match? or play it half heartedly and let Bayern win? what's the best way to sacrifice it?"

The champions league will have nothing to do with liverpool winning the league unless it causes city to drop points. The inability to beat city head to head is the main reason in my opinion

• The champions league will have nothing to do with liverpool winning the league unless it causes city to drop points. The inability to beat city head to head is the main reason in my opinion

I imagine it could have huge impact if for arguments sake Salah or Mane get a big injury tonight are are forced out of a couple of PL games as an example but I take you point on board also.

Last time to say it but I won't be engaging in discussion with you anymore. Thanks.

Of course you don't because you have no relevant answer and when pushed for you do as a child does and throw your toys out of the pram

Anyway best of luck young Sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It's wide open this season, easy to forget after last night's no show by them but Atletico ripped Juve to shreds in the first leg and should have bagged at least two more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone counting City out and buying into what Pep was saying are silly,

City are without doubt on of the favourites to win it ,

There team is full of top class international players , Pep is just trying to take some of the pressure off he knows they have a good a chance of anyone to win it,

I'd only see Barca beating them if its a two legged tie ,If they meet in the final i'd favour City ,

The reason is you might have a chance of keeping Messi quite for one game but not two ,

If Barcelona get to the final they will win it ,they have the experience and raise their game in finals.
    If they are to go out it will be over two legs ,they are very fallible away from home ,thats where they have imploded in the last few years .

City have no experience of a final in Europe ,very few of their players do either.
    You saw with Liverpool last year ,lack of experience in the final cost them against a very experienced Madrid side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

"Sacrificing the CL" is silly talk, Neville wouldn't apply this speil to Man United and either would those going along with him (hell I go along with him :pac: ) but it's whats underlying clearly is the further away Liverpool are to CL glory the better and ideally the morale hits the league form too.
    As Brendan Rodger did away to Madrid, when we had United the following weekend,
    He got absolutely slaughterd by the press and the fans and his own players for doing so
    Good reference point that was absolutely appalling although it was the group stage and they should have had 2 games to turn it around which they fluffed in the end, worse if Klopp were to do it in knockout stage even?

Never understood the talk that elite pro teams with a game midweek suddenly will suddenly turn into a spent force with "only" 3 or 4 days off before their next game.

In Liverpools case they have Fulham and then it's international break no game till the 31st, C'mon like they are hardly gonna take advice from a failed football manager G Nev.

If Barcelona get to the final they will win it ,they have the experience and raise their game in finals.
    If they are to go out it will be over two legs ,they are very fallible away from home ,thats where they have imploded in the last few years .

City have no experience of a final in Europe ,very few of their players do either.
    You saw with Liverpool last year ,lack of experience in the final cost them against a very experienced Madrid side.

Yes very possible Barcalona are the only side I see beating City

I think there was a few reason Liverpool lost last year before experience came into it ,

The worst goal keeper performance I can ever remember in a final ,The Salah injury ,

There squad was done to the bare bones due to injury's they had no players to make impact,

Lallana was first sub in the final he hadn't played since March due to injury except for a sub appearance for 13 minutes on the final day ,
    Can was second sub used who hadn't played a single minute since March due to injury , that says it all about the bench that day ,

Madrid where just the better side going into it ,

I think this City side are big step up from Liverpool's last year,

Of course anything can happen but you'd expect if someone does do them it would be Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There squad was done to the bare bones due to injury's they had no players to make impact

Do they have any CL standard impact subs at the moment?
    Of course anything can happen but you'd expect if someone does do them it would be Barca

I think Juve are a good bet also. Plenty of experience in the CL and they'll be full of confidence after that result last night.

• Advertisement

"Sacrificing the CL" is silly talk, Neville wouldn't apply this speil to Man United and either would those going along with him (hell I go along with him :pac: ) but it's whats underlying clearly is the further away Liverpool are to CL glory the better and ideally the morale hits the league form too.

Good reference point that was absolutely appalling although it was the group stage and they should have had 2 games to turn it around which they fluffed in the end, worse if Klopp were to do it in knockout stage even?

Never understood the talk that elite pro teams with a game midweek suddenly will suddenly turn into a spent force with "only" 3 or 4 days off before their next game.

In Liverpools case they have Fulham and then it's international break no game till the 31st, C'mon like they are hardly gonna take advice from a failed football manager G Nev.

The players join clubs to play in these type of games ,

You try to win the big two and if you fail you fail ,

Imagine he dropped Salah and Mane and then they drew or lost away to Fulham people would be calling for the manger's head,

Messi & Ronaldo play an average of over 50 club games each a season for the last 10 years and no one is ever calling for them to be rested ,

I recall Roy Keane when Ireland assistant laughing at the Everton staff when they questioned the amount of games McCarthy was playing , Keane laughed and said something along the lines if he played for a top club head have double the games ,

Berserker wrote: »
    Do they have any CL standard impact subs at the moment?

I think Juve are a good bet also. Plenty of experience in the CL and they'll be full of confidence after that result last night.

Last season final was Milner, Hendo, Gini , who had played every game coming into it final and where jaded, with Lallana and Can who hadn't played since March making the bench,

They lost Can but added Keita,Fabhino and Shaq, if they make it through they will have OX available so plenty of scope to freshen up midfield

Shaq , Sturridge and Origi can come on for the top 3 which of course isn't ideal but none of the 3 where available last year,

• https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47548506

BBC with an article on the GOAT

"Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus forward produces another iconic Champions League display"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca vs Lyon teams:
    Barcelona XI: Ter Stegen; Sergi Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Jordi Alba; Rakitic, Busquets, Arthur; Messi, Luis Suarez, Coutinho.

Lyon XI: Lopes; Dubois, Denayer, Marcelo, Marcal, Mendy; Tousart, Fekir, Ndombele; Depay, Dembele.

Coutinho, Sergi Roberto and Lenglet preferred over Dembele, Semedo and Umtiti for Barca; Lyon have left Aouar on the bench as Tousart comes in for more stability. Looks like 5-3-2 for them. Traore a decent option off the bench.

Would love Lyon to do it and if they bring their A game it can't be ruled out but think it's a massive ask. Fancy Messi to be in the mood tonight, especially after what Ronaldo did yesterday. Wonder what odds on a Messi hat-trick?

I'll say 3-1 Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Some goal by Mane!

Barca 2-0 up on Lyon who have lost keeper Lopes to concussion.

First goal was a Messi pen that came from this:

https://twitter.com/daralandafutbol/status/1105926610967035906

Apparently stamping on a player at the Camp Nou gets you a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Poor standard in Bayern Liverpool game.
    I can't see past Juventus once the main man Ronaldo stays fit.

Liverpool needed to hold out till half time , i think Bayern will be to strong

Juve are not all that they where awful in Madrid and at his age Ronaldo wont be getting hatricks every week now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Barca 2-0 up on Lyon who have lost keeper Lopes to concussion.

First goal was a Messi pen that came from this:

https://twitter.com/daralandafutbol/status/1105926610967035906

Apparently stamping on a player at the Camp Nou gets you a pen.

Did they not go to VAR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I can't see past Juventus once the main man Ronaldo stays fit.

Don't see how anyone can be so certain about the winner of this competition, which has thrown up unlikely winners many times. Porto are the only one of the qf sides I'd rule out with any confidence...

astradave wrote: »
    Did they not go to VAR?

Technical difficulties apparently...

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1105940911194808323

Lyon have got a goal back now via Tousart. If it finishes 2-2 Lyon go through.

Lyon got a goal back.
    VAR involved again, it's a joke, gave the goal with a blatant foul, Lyon player all over the Barcelona defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Technical difficulties apparently...

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1105940911194808323

Lyon have got a goal back now via Tousart. If it finishes 2-2 Lyon go through.

How does it not work? Multi million pound competition and they can't see a replay? Someone PM them a stream there so they can keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

VVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How does it not work? Multi million pound competition and they can't see a replay? Someone PM them a stream there so they can keep up.

Sounds like a bull**** excuse tbh..

• Advertisement

Messi surely kills off Lyon turning the defence inside and out.

3-1 Barca.

4-1 Barca. Pique slots home but it's Messi again terrorising Lyon.

4-1 now.
    Lyon should have had a penalty at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Is it an open draw for the QF's?

Last night it was the Ronaldo show, tonight it's the Messi show.
    Two phenoms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement