Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I have been to a European night at Anfield, granted it's a long time ago.

It's great when it gets going but so are most stadiums. It really isn't as special as Liverpool fans like to make it out to be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Imagine a United Liverpool final . It wouldn't be safe to go to the pub to watch it . It would be like that movie The purge in real life :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Imagine a United Liverpool final . It wouldn't be safe to go to the pub to watch it . It would be like that movie The purge in real life :pac:

Sounds like a win win for a lot of us neutrals so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Does anyone know if the yellows cards are wiped at some stage ?

I think two yellows is crazy to get a suspension over the whole tournament ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Wiped now. Everybody on 1 yellow starts afresh now

• Advertisement

• niallo27 wrote: »
    An early premier league game yes, but have you been to an European night at Anfield. I have been to Italian games, they suffer just as much for league games.

The first leg against Munich was so quite as recent example. Facts against fiction

I didn't mention the PL games but they are worse again

I see the usual United fan saying Juve and Ajax atmosphere is miles better compared to the English clubs ,

Maybe compared to United, City and Spurs but the atmosphere at Anfield in a big European night stands with the very best no questions ,

I love how the rose tinted glasses can't even accept that ,even when every top player in Europe how has witnessed it speaks about it ,

How many times do you hear before a game t he atmosphere won't effect us and after comment on how amazing the atmosphere was,
    Only last season KDB and De Rossi said before hand it wouldn't effect them and left with there tail between there legs ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The first leg against Munich was so quite as recent example. Facts against fiction

I didn't mention the PL games but they are worse again

We're you in Anfield? Lucky fecker, tickets were like gold dust.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    We're you in Anfield? Lucky fecker, tickets were like gold dust.

I watched it on TV

Jotn Terry :

I have never heard anything like it before and I don’t think I ever will again. It is the best atmosphere I’ve ever played in.

“I walked out into that cauldron and heard that singing and saw that passion. The hairs on my arms were standing up. To see a spectacle like that is inspiring to anyone.

“I just kept looking around, trying to take it all in. I wasn’t daunted by it, but it was amazing. I wish more crowds were like that.

“Apart from the volume, it looked spectacular, too. In the seconds before the referee blew his whistle for the start of the match, the whole stadium let out this great long roar as if they were going to power Liverpool to victory.”

– Jose Mourinho

I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent.”

Referee, Lubos Michel

I have refereed at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Manchester United and Arsenal. But I’ve never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. It was incredible.”

Manchester evening news:

“The place generates an unbelievable atmosphere. Sitting in the press box on Sunday, the noise level at kick-off was genuinely disorientating

Ryan Giggs:

“You could be playing against an average Liverpool team and it would still be one of the toughest games of the season, just because the crowd drive them onFabio Capello, on atmosphere vs Juventus, 2005:

Fabio Capello,
    “The fantastic atmosphere at Anfield was like an electric shock for Liverpool’s players, who started the match at an astonishing tempo. They seemed unstoppable.”

Just a few quotes there are many many more from top players and coaches , but FRED THE RED knows bes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I watched it on TV

Seemingly the Tv companies turn down the volume of the fans at anfield that's why you couldn't hear them after singing the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I stood in the Kop for the 1/4 against City in the CL last season.

Nothing has ever come close to it. I've been to Anfield a high number of times, Bernebau, The Emirates(lol), Croke Park when Clare won All-Irelands, I was in Lille for the Robbie Brady game and none of them were close to the Kop that night. Hoping to get to the Camp Nou this season to sample that if I can.

We could barely even hear the CL music that they pump out through the speakers before the match. the 100 odd minutes was just pure noise, booing City players, Allez Allez Allez at it's peak. Was mental that night.
    Place erupted when Ox scored his goal.

I watched it on TV

Ah so you don't really know what the atmosphere was like? Games always sound much quieter on TV, I'm assuming it's the providers turning the volume down to stop picking up people cursing like the good old days :pac:

There was a few here at the game and they said it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I watched it on TV

They turned down the speakers/microphones mate,

Place was positively rocking the houses around anfield, poor residents of anfield don't you know

To be fair Bayern home wasn't the best European night noise wise

But I would also say TV is never a spot on for stadium noise, some channels turn micro phones off some have them high some have them low ,

Iv been to games that where very loud and come home and people say it didn't sound loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

jayo26 wrote: »
    Seemingly the Tv companies turn down the volume of the fans at anfield that's why you couldn't hear them after singing the song.

Well it is known that the TV companies do position their microphones in strategic places - usually around the away fans.

And don't forget that Sky do have history when it comes to altering the crowd noises. I'm not saying that they do it specifically at Anfield, or any other stadium, but they do have history with doing it.

https://twitter.com/PvfcJacob/status/1074761006885294080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1074761006885294080&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ffootballburp.com%2Fstories%2Fvideo-sky-sports-cut-out-derby-and-forest-fans-singing-sky-tv-is-fking-st%2F

But of course, lads sitting at home on their couch are the best judge of atmosphere inside a stadium that they have never been to. :rolleyes:

TitianGerm wrote:
    There was a few here at the game and they said it was excellent.

And how do you know they were there. We're you work them. There's a couple of fans who are full of BS saying they are regularly at games they weren't at at all

They have to be turning them down, or just less microphones. The commentary cut off in a game recently and you could just dull background noise.

You used to see loads of microphones down the sidelines just off the pitch and behind the goals but I haven't seen them in a long time. You'd hear the players/fans cursing the whole time!!

brinty wrote: »
    There's a couple of fans who are full of BS

We see it every day in the soccer forum!!

TitianGerm wrote:
    They have to be turning them down, or just less microphones. The commentary cut off in a game recently and you could just dull background noise.

You used to see loads of microphones down the sidelines just off the pitch and behind the goals but I haven't seen them in a long time. You'd hear the players/fans cursing the whole time!!

La-la la excuses excuses
    Modern technology doesn't require those down the sidelines anymore
    United atmosphere been crap for years no one denies it
    Liverpool equally as crap but microphones are turned down.. dull back ground noises...
    Just be honest

• Advertisement

La-la la excuses excuses
    Liverpool equally as crap but microphones are turned down.. dull back ground noises...
    Just be honest

Anfield atmosphere is excellent in Champions League, poorer in the Premier League in my experience. Not trying to compare it to other grounds. Best this season was the PSG game, but I've a feeling the quarter final will surpass it.

Nothing this year has matched last season's City, Roma or Spartak games as yet. Those were top drawer.

In the league I'd agree with you - crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

To be fair Bayern home wasn't the best European night noise wise

But I would also say TV is never a spot on for stadium noise, some channels turn micro phones off some have them high some have them low

Iv been to games that where very loud and come home and people say it didn't sound loud

I just dont buy it, during the first leg you were able to make out the groans from the crowd. So are you saying that the TV companies are conspiring against liverpool to make it look as though they have a bad atmosphere? Turning the volume down when they fans are excited but highering it up when there is discontent? It's a ridiculous notion. The Bayern game was a "big European night" so where was this famed atmosphere

I've been to Anfield numerous times, Old Trafford, Emirates, Highbury, white Hart Lane and numerous others, the atmosphere in the UK has gone to shìt since the early 00's, granted that big games will still get good atmosphere sometimes, 95% of the time is quiet as a mouse and the Clubs really need to address it.

Even using the Etihad as an example the other night, City score their first goal and the camera spans to the crowd, there was no sheer elation that should be associated with scoring a goal. It was hundreds of people standing there slapping quietly or videoing the thing on their phones..

La-la la excuses excuses
    Just be honest

Brinty I've spoken about this topic before and I never said it was just Anfield. The crowd volume is been turned down on all televised games. I can guarantee you its a hell of a lot louder in the stadiums than it's coming across on the TV.

I watched Chelsea v Spurs recently and the second half of the Liverpool v United games and heard very little of the crowd.

Now there is no way there was no atmosphere in those two games. No chance.

And how do you know they were there. We're you work them. There's a couple of fans who are full of BS saying they are regularly at games they weren't at at all

Seriously? Examples?

astradave wrote: »
    I just dont buy it, during the first leg you were able to make out the groans from the crowd. So are you saying that the TV companies are conspiring against liverpool to make it look as though they have a bad atmosphere? Turning the volume down when they fans are excited but highering it up when there is discontent? It's a ridiculous notion. The Bayern game was a "big European night" so where was this famed atmosphere

I've been to Anfield numerous times, Old Trafford, Emirates, Highbury, white Hart Lane and numerous others, the atmosphere in the UK has gone to shìt since the early 00's, granted that big games will still get good atmosphere sometimes, 95% of the time is quiet as a mouse and the Clubs really need to address it.

Even using the Etihad as an example the other night, City score their first goal and the camera spans to the crowd, there was no sheer elation that should be associated with scoring a goal. It was hundreds of people standing there slapping quietly or videoing the thing on their phones..

Tune into the quarter final game if you want to see atmosphere ,

Its possible Bayern wasn't the best night butt in European nights 9 times out of 10 the place is on wheels , ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Brinty I've spoken about this topic before and I never said it was just Anfield. The crowd volume is been turned down on all televised games. I can guarantee you its a hell of a lot louder in the stadiums than it's coming across on the TV.

I watched Chelsea v Spurs recently and the second half of the Liverpool v United games and heard very little of the crowd.

Now there is no way there was no atmosphere in those two games. No chance.

Next time you see a live game on tv that is also on the radio turn on the radio to hear the difference in noise.

• I've read it all now. Sky have noise cancelling segregation for crowd atmosphere when it's loud. But for some reason can't block the fans disgruntled groaning.

This must be exclusive to Anfield

I've read it all now. Sky have noise cancelling segregation for crowd atmosphere when it's loud. But for some reason can't block the fans disgruntled groaning.

This must be exclusive to Anfield

In fairness it was AstraDave who said that, not a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great win for liverpool last night all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I make it that there's a 77% chance of there being at least 1 all-English Quarter-final.

Lads to be fair the TV compaines do turn down the micro phones it happens most big games now ,,

Goods example was the Arsenal v Spurs game early on in the season ,
    I was watching it at home and on tv it sound just your good average game ,I had to drive to Cork so stuck it on the radio and you could barley hear the commentators ,
    They where saying it was the best atmosphere in years at an Arsenal game ,

Actually another great example was the recent United v Liverpool game, it sounded go on TV but I had family who are United fans at it and said the place was brilliant with noise,

Anyway just have to listen to opposition players who have played at Liverpool on European night and they will tell you its up there with the best in Europe if not the best

Love how the hatred is that much United fans won't even give Liverpool credit for that ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great win for liverpool last night all the same.

Scary thing was they done it in 2nd gear. Still great potential in this lfc squad over the coming years.

TitianGerm wrote: »

What? It looks as though Fred is agreeing with what I posted. That its hilarious to think it's some sort of conspiracy that the TV companies would make the groans loud but turn down the cheera

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really looking forward to the draw tomorrow, pretty much every tie should be a cracker.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the draw tomorrow, pretty much every tie should be a cracker.

I'm hoping for a big team for United myself, gotta beat them at some stage if you want to win it, I'd prefer them over two legs than a once off game

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »

He's clearly making the point that there isn't some conspiracy to quell the atmosphere in Anfield from Sky by turning up and down the volume when the crowd gets loud at Anfield. The atmosphere for the Munich game was ****e and everything could be heard on TV and alot of folks would agree. Liverpool fans I've spoken personally have said the same thing.

Like the original point I made mentioned 4 different teams and the most recent atmosphere at home games in Europe for English teams has been poor overall.

I find mental gymnastics some are jumping through because Liverpool happened to be mentioned is pretty amazing :P

• Great win for liverpool last night all the same.

I watched the highlights after the Barca game. It was good but **** me Bayern were piss poor.

Neur as well, I can't believe some people think he's the best goalkeeper in the world

He's clearly making the point that there isn't some conspiracy to quell the atmosphere in Anfield from Sky by turning up and down the volume when the crowd gets loud at Anfield. The atmosphere for the Munich game was ****e and everything could be heard on TV and alot of folks would agree. Liverpool fans I've spoken personally have said the same thing.

Like the original point I made mentioned 4 different teams and the most recent atmosphere at home games in Europe for English teams has been poor overall.

I find mental gymnastics some are jumping through because Liverpool happened to be mentioned is pretty amazing :P

Who do you support out of interest?

I would agree with the point about English clubs being poorer than many clubs on the continent. Bayern looked amazing last night, really wish I could have gone, the TAW podcast right after the game made it sound incredible. The Bobby Firmino and Virgil van Dijk songs are excellent. Don't think we can top the Allez Allez Allez one from last season but those 2 are great additions.

I think we're destined to have an all-English quarter unfortunately. Would love them to be kept separate. Always feel cheated to see teams from the same country in a knock out, Europe is about the away trips

When they asked in October best stadium for atmosphere he had played Buffon he said " Definitely Anfield, in Liverpool "

He also mentioned Rangers in Glasgow and Fenerbahce in Istanbul

But you know best ,

• 8-10 wrote: »
    Who do you support out of interest?

I would agree with the point about English clubs being poorer than many clubs on the continent. Bayern looked amazing last night, really wish I could have gone, the TAW podcast right after the game made it sound incredible. The Bobby Firmino and Virgil van Dijk songs are excellent. Don't think we can top the Allez Allez Allez one from last season but those 2 are great additions.

I think we're destined to have an all-English quarter unfortunately. Would love them to be kept separate. Always feel cheated to see teams from the same country in a knock out, Europe is about the away trips

I support Utd

I've a feeling City will continue their poxy run of draws
    We will get Barca (Although personally I would love that, we haven't played them since 2009 if I'm correct)
    I wouldn't want City or Liverpool, both would be meltdown inducing and too stressful too enjoy.
    Spurs I wouldn't be too bothered over but annoyed because as you say a European team would be so much better.
    Also, as much as I love Ronaldo he's the player I feel he could haunt Utd the most and knock us on his own he's that good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

When they asked in October best stadium for atmosphere he had played Buffon he said " Definitely Anfield, in Liverpool "

But you know best ,

I think you have a bit of an obsession with Fred mate the way you continue to say your going to ignore him and even tho he is not replying to you your still trying get his attention.

Pretty obvious others do at this stage from all the references to him and cheap shots calling him out by a number of posters.

I wouldn't want City or Liverpool, both would be meltdown inducing and too stressful too enjoy.

Tough atmosphere for the players too :pac:

I reckon nobody wants City after the other night.

Liverpool, while not the best team in the draw, haven't lost a 2-leg knockout tie in a decade, the 4-4 Chelsea game in 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But you know best ,

Ah yeah but Buffon has been playing for over 2 decades. Maybe he's harking back to the days when it was a decent atmosphere.

I think you have a bit of an obsession with Fred mate the way you continue to say your going to ignore him and even tho he is not replying to you your still trying get his attention.

Pretty obvious others do at this stage from all the references to him and cheap shots calling him out by a number of posters.

Its a football discussion if someone post people will reply,

Yesterday he was mocking Klopp for replying to a question if he thought Liverpool would be better off out,
    So I questioned the thinking behind why its laughable he of course throw his toys out of the pram, which I called childish I said nothing untoward about him just his post,

Today he is claiming no English club can match Juve or Ajax on a European night, Iv responded that Liverpool can along with others and giving reasons that highlight this ,That responses is not aimed at him its aimed at the discussion he started ,

Why do you need to defend him no one is abusing him or anything ,
    If he doesn't like people questioning posts why post in a discussion forum ?

As you have said its a number of poster's so maybe people just don't agree with his post's ,

Again its not a attack on the poster its talking about the post,

Ah yeah but Buffon has been playing for over 2 decades. Maybe he's harking back to the days when it was a decent atmosphere.

Yeah would have been the 2005 quarter final. It was a lot more than decent in those days, the Chelsea semi-final is the stuff of legends

• 8-10 wrote: »
    Tough atmosphere for the players too :pac:

I reckon nobody wants City after the other night.

Liverpool, while not the best team in the draw, haven't lost a 2-leg knockout tie in a decade, the 4-4 Chelsea game in 2009

I'd love if City drew Liverpool. Both at each others neck for the League already.
    Could have a huge mental impact to who wins the league if they have to face each other twice more.

I'd love if City drew Liverpool. Both at each others neck for the League already.
    Could have a huge mental impact to who wins the league if they have to face each other twice more.

Have no interest in meeting City again after same stage last season. Would be like when we used to keep drawing Chelsea. Boring.

Would be good to have a bus meet though

Very true las time he played there was 2005 , but last season in the knockout stages it was louder than any game in the last 20 years bar Chelsea in 2005

The point is Anfield without doubt can match Juve and Ajax for atmosphere in a European night,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

City are favourites ? Show me the European pedigree to back it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wiped about 20 mins after Robertson picked up his yellow

• Advertisement
Advertisement