Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ebbsy wrote: »
    City are favourites ? Show me the European pedigree to back it up ?

If your a good side you can win it, the present matter more then the past

Liverpool , United , Porto , Ajax all have more European pedigree but City would be favourite and rightly so if they drew any of them ,

Juve and Barca would be tougher draw for them but they are both currently very good sides

• jayo26 wrote: »
    I think you have a bit of an obsession with Fred mate the way you continue to say your going to ignore him and even tho he is not replying to you your still trying get his attention.

Pretty obvious others do at this stage from all the references to him and cheap shots calling him out by a number of posters.

I've ignored him continuously and chosen not to engage.
    But continues to overreact to anything I post and take pot shots and call them childish and then thanks this post in the same thread. The irony of it.

PsTMzNc.jpg

Then have the nerve to say I'm throwing the toys our the pram ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bollox man, Anfield on an European night against utd, would be ****en rocking. I'm sure the same for old Trafford. Have you been to a proper European night at Anfield.

It would be rocking, but wouldnt come close to 90% of European Grounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It would be rocking, but wouldnt come close to 90% of European Grounds!

Thats a bit of a stretch and a tad bit hyperbolic, just a tad.

For research purposes, name 90% of the grounds better, we'll wait.

ebbsy wrote: »
    City are favourites ? Show me the European pedigree to back it up ?

They've probably the most balanced squad left in it and the best manager.

My favourites would be :

City, Juve, Barca, Pool, Utd, Spurs, Ajax, Porto.

Theres very little separating the first 6 though, apart from the odd Messi and Ronaldo.

But continues to overreact to anything I post and take pot shots and call them childish and then thanks this post in the same thread. The irony of it.

PsTMzNc.jpg

No over reaction's , if there was any just point them out,
    Someone having another opinion is not a pot shot its a discussion ,

Niallo27 was obviously joking ,

• GavRedKing wrote: »

My favourites would be :

Theres very little separating the first 6 though, apart from the odd Messi and Ronaldo.

Yea but maybe the point he's making is how would they react if faced off against one of the better sides like Barca. I still don't think they could beat them over two legs given the experience Barca have at the latter stages.

GavRedKing wrote: »

My favourites would be :

I see it the same but i'd put Barca over Juve ,

The issue playing City and Barca is getting hold of the ball ,

I also agree the only difference is Ronaldo and Messi ,

The draw is Huge ,
    You could have the first 4 teams you mentioned on the same side of the draw and that would really open it up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Theres very little separating the first 6 though, apart from the odd Messi and Mané.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

PsTMzNc.jpg

It's a bit of don't pick on us we will try pick on you.

• No over reaction's , if there was any just point them out,
    Someone having another opinion is not a pot shot its a discussion ,

Niallo27 was obviously joking ,

You are backtracking because someone else has called you out on it. You are obsessing over anything I post and overreacting every time.
    And some of us can actually take a joke.
    Imagine I posted that and said "hope Utd get Liverpool as they are the weakest team"
    I'd take a guess and say you would have a freak out like alot of the others on here abuse posters and I'd be probably given a red for trolling.
    I'm not engaging in discussion with you anymore. For real this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My favourites would be :

Hard to argue with that order.

Definitely think there's 3 clear favourites: City, Juve and Barca.

You are backtracking because someone else has called you out on it. You are obsessing over anything I post and overreacting every time.
    And some of us can actually take a joke.
    Imagine I posted that and said "hope Utd get Liverpool as they are the weakest team"
    I'd take a guess and say you would have a freak out like alot of the others on here abuse posters and I'd be probably given a red for trolling.

It's a discussion forum , iv replied to two statement you have made in the last two days ,that i along with others thought where nonsense, i gave my opinion why ,

You make statement constantly and if someone disagrees and explains why you think they are attacking you ,

I have never freaked out at anyone ,
    I have never abused anyone.
    I don't refuse to speak to anyone who disagrees with me either,
    I'm willing to discuss anything iv said, unlike yourself,
    Iv no issue with any poster ,
    Iv said some of your posts are childish ,

Iv disagreed with many people posts but no one takes it personally like yourself,

Best of luck to you young Sir

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Barca favorites for me, followed by City, Juve then Liverpool. Spurs and United outside bets.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's a bit of don't pick on us we will try pick on you.

Strange as seems its just yourself and little aul Fred that have banded together on this tread

I'm me not anyone else , there is no US u speak of,
    I also haven't picked on anyone or need any ones else to stand up for my on a football thread

• Advertisement

Yea but maybe the point he's making is how would they react if faced off against one of the better sides like Barca. I still don't think they could beat them over two legs given the experience Barca have at the latter stages.

Barca havent got passed the QFs in the last 3 CL campaigns but I agree with ya, the squad has a lot of experience at the tail end of this competition but I think theres a vulnerability to Barca that a good side will expose.

Saying that though, Messi is a great equaliser, you give him anything and he'll punish you, last night he should have hat a hat trick and nearly set up another 2 goals, admittedly Lyon were very poor apart from 15/20 mins in and around the time they scored but Barca were very clinical right after that and seen it out.

Every potential tie in the next round is fascinating, even Porto V Ajax would be good to have a more of an "under dog" in the last 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Strange as seems its just yourself and little aul Fred that have banded together on this tread

I'm me not anyone else , there is no US u speak of,
    I also haven't picked on anyone or need any ones else to stand up for my on a football thread

Just an observation but when you sign off posts "but fred the red knows best" do you not see that as attacking the poster and not the post, why is there a need to put shīt like that in a post.. it's pretty condescending and reflects worse on you tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Barca havent got passed the QFs in the last 3 CL campaigns but I agree with ya, the squad has a lot of experience at the tail end of this competition but I think theres a vulnerability to Barca that a good side will expose.

Saying that though, Messi is a great equaliser, you give him anything and he'll punish you, last night he should have hat a hat trick and nearly set up another 2 goals, admittedly Lyon were very poor apart from 15/20 mins in and around the time they scored but Barca were very clinical right after that and seen it out.

Every potential tie in the next round is fascinating, even Porto V Ajax would be good to have a more of an "under dog" in the last 4.

If Barca get a goal, that's when they punish you as you have to move up and space opens up for the little magician. I wouldnt mind playing them, keep it tight and use the pace in behind the fullbacks.. but as I said, I don't really care who United get. Whoever wins it is hoong to have to beat the best teams and would rather face someone like barca over 2 legs than a once off final

astradave wrote: »
    Just an observation but when you sign off posts "but fred the red knows best" do you not see that as attacking the poster and not the post, why is there a need to put shīt like that in a post.. it's pretty condescending and reflects worse on you tbh.

Ok to be fair that wasn't great i'll hold my hands up for that one,

I should have just said .There is numerous comments from world football star's commenting on how good the atmosphere is on a European night but a lad who has never been there say's its terrible,

Anyway we have both moved on so don't want clog up the thread anymore with me and him bickering ,

Pep had a few bad defeats against Barca with Bayern didn't he?

Edit: just 1 tie, lost 5-3

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »

Edit: just 1 tie, lost 5-2

I think it was 5-3 ,
    I recall 3-0 nil at barca's place and they won 3-2 at there own ?

I think it was 5-3 ,
    I recall 3-0 nil at barca's place and they won 3-2 at there own ?
    Yep, I misread it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Edit: just 1 tie, lost 5-3

Had to check as I remembered Bayern beating Barca 7-0 a few years ago and couldn’t remember who Pep was managing at the time– turns out that was during his gap year (2013) after leaving Barca so he wasn’t involved but was already in place to take over at Munich for the following season. That was a crazy result over the two legs.

Barcalona are such a horrible team to play

No matter how good your team are all it takes is Messi to have one of his good games and your out ,

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Had to check as I remembered Bayern beating Barca 7-0 a few years ago and couldn’t remember who Pep was managing at the time– turns out that was during his gap year (2013) after leaving Barca so he wasn’t involved but was already in place to take over at Munich for the following season. That was a crazy result over the two legs.

Was Pep Bayern coach when Madrid thumped them 4-0 in Bayern ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can the word 'narrative' be banned from the forum? Pretty please mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Anyway, in actual news:

UEFA have announced that Man City and Man Utd won't play at home in the same week. Therefore if they are both home (or away) first, the Man Utd tie will be reversed as they finished lower in the league last season.

Was Pep Bayern coach when Madrid thumped them 4-0 in Bayern ?

Yeah (you've a good memory clearly :pac:), think I had that in mind with my Barca post.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/3452150/pep-guardiolas-champions-league-woes-no-final-reached-since-2011

Sums up his CL record since his last final

Yeah (you've a good memory clearly :pac:), think I had that in mind with my Barca post.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/2/blog/post/3452150/pep-guardiolas-champions-league-woes-no-final-reached-since-2011

Sums up his CL record since his last final

I only remember because I was on holidays in the States and up in the middle of the night with a teething baby so I watched that,

Ok to be fair that wasn't great i'll hold my hands up for that one,

I should have just said .There is numerous comments from world football star's commenting on how good the atmosphere is on a European night but a lad who has never been there say's its terrible,

Anyway we have both moved on so don't want clog up the thread anymore with me and him bickering ,

Fair play mate it takes a lot to admit your in the wrong. It's over with now we all move on.

• Advertisement

Can anyone remember last year the Roma website posted information about tickets for the Liverpool home game with correct dates, 3 hours before the draw was made, Then removed it,

Not only did they got the team right they got the home and away order right, Very dodgy ,

I wonder will see anything like that tomorrow,

There is a pratice draw, maybe they were paired together there and they jumped the gun and got it right?

Or else its a big UEFA scam, both are likely. :o

Could be recorded ahead of time? Still a bit dodgy though.

Benimar wrote: »
    Anyway, in actual news:

UEFA have announced that Man City and Man Utd won't play at home in the same week. Therefore if they are both home (or away) first, the Man Utd tie will be reversed as they finished lower in the league last season.

That was always gonna be the case

Thats a bit of a stretch and a tad bit hyperbolic, just a tad.

For research purposes, name 90% of the grounds better, we'll wait.

Well for a start Celtic Park, Ibrox, Selhurst Park, Elland Road have better atmospheres in UK alone.

German League right down to Div 2/3 is just as good as Liverpool.

Polish/Greek/Turkish Leagues all far superior

Will I continue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anyway, in actual news:

Same as Arsenal and Chelsea in the Europa League both were drawn at home but Arsenal had to play away 1st as they finished lower than Chelsea in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I never believed all the conspiracy theories around the CL draw.

For every tie that comes out and you hear cries of "I told you Utd would get the easiest team left", there are a multiple more ties that no-one predicted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well for a start Celtic Park, Ibrox, Selhurst Park, Elland Road have better atmospheres in UK alone.

Will I continue?

How have you measured this vs big European nights at Anfield? This was the comparison, not mid day kick offs in October vs Huddersfield.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I never believed all the conspiracy theories around the CL draw.

For every tie that comes out and you hear cries of "I told you Utd would get the easiest team left", there are a multiple more ties that no-one predicted.

Totally agree mate. If United get drawn against pool it will be on that's a fix two big rivals. If we get Ajax or porto ohh that's a fix the easiest games. If we get juventus oh that's a fix Ronaldo coming home blah blah.

• Advertisement

Champions League Final ticket applications open online now over on UEFA.com if you're feeling lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

8-10 wrote: »
    Champions League Final ticket applications open online now over on UEFA.com if you're feeling lucky

Was thinking about it but the prices are insane. €600 for a category 1. You have to select all four categories to have any chance of getting tickets, in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Berserker wrote: »
    Was thinking about it but the prices are insane. €600 for a category 1. You have to select all four categories to have any chance of getting tickets, in my experience.

Yes the prices are ridiculous

Category 1 was 450 euro last year ,an increase of 33% this year .
    Only 4000 tickets in the lottery ,down from 6700 last year ,its probably a waste of time even applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yes the prices are ridiculous

Category 1 was 450 euro last year ,an increase of 33% this year .
    Only 4000 tickets in the lottery ,down from 6700 last year ,its probably a waste of time even applying.

That's mental. 37,500 available for the EL final in Baku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cities overlords have already paid UEFA off for them to make it to the final expect them to get Porto in the last 8 and mad VAR calls to help them out in the semi final to make it into the final. :pac::pac:

Berserker wrote: »

My ticket last season was £140 for the category 2, this is definitely more extortionate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No harm in trying anyways!

Anyway, in actual news:

Kind of strange because that may turn into an advantage to United and not City,

Say both City and United are draw home in the first , then United is moved to home in the second leg , but I guess that they can't give City the choice as it wouldn't be fair on whoever they draw,

I'm guessing most teams want the second leg at home ?

Will I continue?

So thats 4 in the UK better and countless unnamed German/Polish/Greek/Turkish stadiums without any supporting evidence other than hearsay and conjecture?

No need to continue, thanks.

Kind of strange because that may turn into an advantage to United and not City,

Say both City and United are draw home in the first , then United is moved to home in the second leg , but I guess that they can't give City the choice as it wouldn't be fair on whoever they draw,

I'm guessing most teams want the second leg at home ?

For Liverpool I'd prefer to be at home first. But I'd imagine for City and United they'd want to be at home second.

Will I continue?

Theres a picture of Shelhurst park on one of those European nights :D that legendary atmosphere

• Advertisement
Advertisement