Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My bold prediction is that Tottenham will be the only Premier League side to reach the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

To be fair there's loads of great match up for a final for different reason

Juve v Barca, two goats
    City v Barca Pep v his old team,
    United v City derby ,
    Juve v United Ronaldo against his old side
    Liverpool v City , someone trying to get revenge for the Prem
    Liverpool v Ajax to old school giants who have never meet,
    Ajax v Porto battle of the underdogs
    Spurs v United , does Poch need to join United to win a trophies
    Spurs v Liverpool , battle of the bottlers ,can anyone win a trophy

Why are Juve considered a GOAT?

1CL Final in..? Over a decade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ronnie vs messi

Ronnie vs messi

Ah apologies I thought it was referring to clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mr.H wrote: »

I think it could be city liverpool and all the talk will be both teams going for both titles.

League will be long over before the final so only 1 team would be going for both titles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Cos absolutely everyone has completed wiped the first leg v Atletico from their minds when they could and should have been at least 4 down and gone.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My bold prediction is that Tottenham will be the only Premier League side to reach the semis.

You'd get nice odds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It seems interesting that Júlio César said he liked Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona, and City and then all those teams have avoided each other in the quarterfinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Spurs being priced as the biggest underdogs to qualify seems wrong to me, think they're the most likely to pull an upset. To qualify

United 11/4
    Ajax 3/1
    Porto 3/1
    Spurs 4/1

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    It seems interesting that Júlio Cr said he liked Liverpool, Juventus, Barcelona, and City and then all those teams have avoided each other in the quarterfinals.

Well they were the 4 top teams in the betting so hardly unusual he'd say that.

5starpool wrote: »
    You'd get nice odds on that.

25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Spurs v Liverpool , battle of the bottlers ,can anyone win a trophy

This probably isn’t the right place to bring this up but I find the “ Liverpool are bottlers” narrative bizzare. It implies that we (i’m a fan) have gotten into positions to win things in the first place which I wish was the case... Aside from 13 /14 which I won’t bother defending as a non-bottle job because people have already made up their minds, I can’t think of any other PLs where we “threw it away”, or even got close to winning. 08/09 we were close but behind United for the last 10 games or so. We lost 2 CL finals since 05, both to better teams. We probably should have beaten Sevilla in the europa league but I doubt anyone cared enough about it to “bottle it”...

Am I missing a lot of others? Again to reiterate, my argument is Liverpool have been pretty “bad” (ie not the best team in the competition) over the last 20 years, but not bottlers.

Callings Spurs bottlers as well is nonsense imo but i’ll leave that to another day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They also got done for match fixing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Spurs have a good chance against City. They've been excellent for a really long time, the recent blip is just that and they're a top, top quality team that people are now underestimating. I see it being a very close tie that could go either way.

I disagree. I think Spurs are a weak team proving that they are who we thought they were and this tie will bring an end to this period of hype ahead of a summer exodus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I disagree. I think Spurs are a weak team proving that they are who we thought they were and this tie will bring an end to this period of hype ahead of a summer exodus.

I don't know. A Spurs team that will be up for it against a City team that's still trying to keep its on the prize across 3 cups. I wouldn't be surprised if fortune falls on Spurs. I hope it does because I don't want the CL becoming a part of the rivalry between City and Liverpool this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yeah and apparently Erikson refuses to sign contract so he could be off to Barca or another big club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Spurs over City over 2 legs? Were you in Trainspotting?

Aguero is the key for City...he's a goal scoring machine...seems underrated throughout his premier league career...don't think he has ever won pfa. If he gets injured then that's a big problem for them.

beya2009 wrote: »
    Aguero is the key for City...he's a goal scoring machine...seems underrated throughout his premier league career...don't think he has ever won pfa. If he gets injured then that's a big problem for them.

Aguero and Underrated in the same sentence....

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Aguero and Underrated in the same sentence....

What?

I'd agree with that actually. It's almost like his goalscoring ability has been taken for granted and normalized in previous years. Last season was the first and only time he made the PFA Team of the Year which is pretty incredible.

I'd agree with that actually. It's almost like his goalscoring ability has been taken for granted and normalized in previous years. Last season was the first and only time he made the PFA Team of the Year which is pretty incredible.

Yes but he's also competed with some serious strikers in that time.

Van Persie Suarez Kane to name a few.

Aguero is definitely not underated imo and crucial to City winning trophies. He's a big game player.

Drogba was probably there around the same time? Can't recall time period. My memory is gone to sh1te :pac:

Yes but he's also competed with some serious strikers in that time.

Van Persie Suarez Kane to name a few.

Aguero is definitely not underated imo and crucial to City winning trophies. He's a big game player.

Drogba was probably there around the same time? Can't recall time period. My memory is gone to sh1te :pac:

But his record against the top 6 teams in the league (best ever in the league) and his record at home and his consistency (only injuries over the years is the only downside) - he's up there among the best strikers ever in the premier league. If he was English it would be a different story lol

beya2009 wrote: »
    But his record against the top 6 teams in the league (best ever in the league) and his record at home and his consistency (only injuries over the years is the only downside) - he's up there among the best strikers ever in the premier league. If he was English it would be a different story lol

Yes I agree but the point I was making was the reason Aguero hadn't gotten into the team of the year or whatever was due to the other strikers having a better season that year.

Agueros consistency isn't considered for that.

He's been top scorer in the league once I think.

If he didn't pick up injuries over the years he'd have more POTY awards I'd say.

Top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We lost 2 CL finals since 05, both to better teams.

, i actually thought we were the better team in 07. We won the one we should have lost and lost the one we should have won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see Bayern won 6-0 the weekend, the German league is very very poor at the moment ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see Bayern won 6-0 the weekend, the German league is very very poor at the moment ,

They did not really come out to attack Liverpool, they just really sat back, in the German league they will be more attacking

They did not really come out to attack Liverpool, they just really sat back, in the German league they will be more attacking

Shows what a great job Jurgen is doing at Liverpool that top European side's respect or even fear them away from home,

Shows what a great job Jurgen is doing at Liverpool that top European side's respect or even fear them away from home,

Bayern in the first leg was mind blowing. Playing for a 0-0 with 10mins to go and celebrating it at the final whistle. Definitely showed us too much respect

• Advertisement

United fans must be praying the Messi doesn't play like he did the weekend,
    Barcalona where away and the home fans chanted his name and gave him a round of applause for his third goal which was an absolute beauty ,

He makes football look so easy

Barcalona where away and the home fans chanted his name and gave him a round of applause for his third goal which was an absolute beauty ,

Quick highlights of it, some excellent goals. Suarez got injured at the end which puts him in doubt of that game v United but if Messi's fit it's going to be tough for them. Messi is in Sadio Mané form right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I thought they tried to in the first half. First 20 mins was all them, really, and Liverpool were penned in.

They collapsed a bit after Mane scored and had a little surge before the end of the first half again, even if that half was fairly scrappy from both sides.

Second half they didn't seem to have the legs to compete and Liverpool really grew into the game and began to seize control.

The game in Anfield was a weird spectacle though, that's for sure.

If englands co-efficient got so high, could there be a potential champions league spot for 5th place. Or is it 4 max per country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If englands co-efficient got so high, could there be a potential champions league spot for 5th place. Or is it 4 max per country

4 is the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5 teams can actually qualify for the CL league

This is what would need to happen.

If Man U/Spurs/City/Liverpool win the CL and Arsenal/Chelsea win the UEFA Cup they both qualify and if both winners finish outside the top 4 at the same time then....

1st, 2nd & 3th in the league also qualify through the league and the 4th place team in the league drops into the UEFA league.

This was explained on one of the pods yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Uh mate, we have chris smalling, you clearly dont watch much football if you think messi will get past him.

If Man U/Spurs/City/Liverpool win the CL and Arsenal/Chelsea win the UEFA Cup they both qualify and if both winners finish outside the top 4 at the same time then....

1st, 2nd & 3th in the league also qualify through the league and the 4th place team in the league drops into the UEFA league.

I was just asking if 5th place could ever become a champions league spot if english football got so strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

That would be what needs to happen to have 5 teams qualify for the CL but 4th in the league misses out. There is a much simpler way for 5 teams to qualify which would be for one of the teams who come 5th or 6th to win the CL or EL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It is easy to him. He's up there with Pele and Maradona as the best I've seen.

blueser wrote: »

Hes up there? Above and beyond for consistency and length of career imo granted i havent seen them as much as u have seen messi.He could keep going as a midfielder for another 4 or 5 years if he keeps injury free and he still what's to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Ronaldo on the list also id imagine. Not starting a debate on whose better and all that ****e, but we, as a footballing generation of having both messi and ronaldo, close to age, playing at the same time, getting to see both greatness on the pitch.

I dont see that happening for a long time no matter what peoples stances are on each player. Its unreal to see on a champions league week, one spectacle on a tuesday, then another on a wed who could be qualified as 1 of the greatest ever.

Pele is the most overrated player to play the sport,

Count's goals from friendlies and exhibition games in his stats ,He even counted games he played for the Sixth Coast Guard in the military competition,

Not the same planet as Messi ,

Pele is the most overrated player to play the sport,

Count's goals from friendlies and exhibition games in his stats ,He even counted games he played for the Sixth Coast Guard in the military competition,

Not the same planet as Messi ,

It's hard to make a proper comparison because there is far less footage of Pele playing, whereas nearly every match of Messi's was recorded so nothing was missed. It'll be easier to compare the likes of Messi with the next amazing talent in 25 years or whenever. Even Maradona had far less recorded footage of his prime, but more than Pele.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's hard to make a proper comparison because there is far less footage of Pele playing, whereas nearly every match of Messi's was recorded so nothing was missed. It'll be easier to compare the likes of Messi with the next amazing talent in 25 years or whenever. Even Maradona had far less recorded footage of his prime, but more than Pele.

Footage of Pele wouldn't help as the game was different, the skills where different, the physical abilities where different, the balls where different, the pitches where different,

I mean in terms of an effecting a game which is all you can really judge them on , Messi does it far more often and in bigger games than Pele,

If you get a chance go watch some of Pele footage he was considered skill full but 'd see more skill from kids in the play ground today , But at his time he was the sh*t, it really shows how different the game is ,

Impossible and unfair to compare skills, but in terms of influence of games I'd rate Messi miles ahead ,

Messi and Ronaldo are further ahead of the rest today than Pele was then if you get me, There was plenty of guys who matched Pele at the time ,

Also rubs me wrong that Pele lies about his goals and achievement , Count's friendlies and exhibition goals, sights his silver boots ( runner up to golden boot), Also his team was one of two/three pro teams in Brazil at the time so regularly won 10- 0 in league games .

Without doubt he deserves his place in history of football but Messi would be miles ahead in the GOAT conversation ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Pele won 3 world cups, the first when he lit up the tournament as a 17 year old. That’s the main reason, allied with his world class ability he’s regarded so highly. I’ve no doubt Messi is the superior talent but Peles legacy is untouchable.

Footage of Pele wouldn't help as the game was different, the skills where different, the physical abilities where different, the balls where different, the pitches where different,

I mean in terms of an effecting a game which is all you can really judge them on , Messi does it far more often and in bigger games than Pele,

Pele done it in world cup finals ,messi barely dpes it in the knockout stages of wc/ cl

messi barely dpes it in the knockout stages of wc/ cl

It was at this point. Nobody ever took your posts seriously again.

It was at this point. Nobody ever took your posts seriously again.

Compared to pele*.cant remember the last time messi turned it on in chsmpions leageu. Barca certailny havent done it for the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

To be fair he turned it on only last week against Lyon. Ran the show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement