Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FitzShane wrote: »

I hope City batter Spurs.....just so Spurs can get their revenge in the league game coming up!

A slender win at the most would be fine. Spurs badly need to win the league game because of Chelsea's position and I dont want a rubber stamped second leg either, allowing City to rest any players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It also poses the problem of big clubs being considered big because they have a history of success in their domestic leagues.

What happens in a super league if United, Bayern, Juve etc.. go years without any success. If its just a league dominated by Barca and Real.

Are they still considered big or do they just become the Fulham of the super league?

It's not in most of those clubs interest to leave their domestic leagues behind. It's very very risky.

The other big teams could compete with Barca and Real financially. You wouldn't have one or two dominating, which I guess would be the point of the league. All the big teams would win in cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A slender win at the most would be fine. Spurs badly need to win the league game because of Chelsea's position and I dont want a rubber stamped second leg either, allowing City to rest any players.

some good points there actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The other big teams could compete with Barca and Real financially. You wouldn't have one or two dominating, which I guess would be the point of the league. All the big teams would win in cycles.

What do you think the other big teams would compete ?
    There is no way of knowing that at all,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do RTE get second choice on games? Picking Liverpool v Porto over Spurs v City is ludicrous if they got to pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Do RTE get second choice on games? Picking Liverpool v Porto over Spurs v City is ludicrous if they got to pick
    They'll still probably have more viewers on RTE

What do you think the other big teams would compete ?
    There is no way of knowing that at all,

Other big teams already compete with them. There isn't much in it. If there was a European super league, alot of the big club's finances would be brought closer in line, similar deals cut through TV revenue etc, all would have a similar fanbases worldwide etc.

Comparing Juve to Madrid, is not akin to comparing Liverpool/United to Fulham. The gulf in the latter scenario is huge compared to the former

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Other big teams already compete with them. There isn't much in it. If there was a European super league, alot of the big club's finances would be brought closer in line, similar deals cut through TV revenue etc, all would have a similar fanbases worldwide etc.

Comparing Juve to Madrid, is not akin to comparing Liverpool/United to Fulham. The gulf in the latter scenario is huge compared to the former

You haven't been watching Juve's spending of late.

They are splashing the cash these last few years.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You haven't been watching Juve's spending of late.

They are splashing the cash these last few years.

That's my point. The other big teams would compete with Barca/Madrid, particularly in a European super league. It was in reply to a poster saying the likes of Juve would become the Fulham of a European super league, starved of success, small fish in a big pond. I disagreed, success would most likely go in cycles between the top clubs, they could all compete with one another. Throw money at the likes of Milan too, a sleeping giant would quickly re-awaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They have first pick and while I agree with you that Spurs v City is the more enticing game, Liverpool would have more fans over here than Spurs and City and therefore more viewers for RTE which is what its all about for them.

Although I'd imagine most "neutrals" would want to watch Spurs and City so that might level it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'm not as sure.

Since United last won the champions league there have been 10 finals played. Real or Barca have won 7 of those.

And that's knockout football where you are more likely to see an upset. The league structure really does lead to the best side winning almost 100% of the time.

It's a far better strategy for the likes of United to stick in England given the financial strength of the league over giving Real and Barca the opportunity to dominate a super league.

Maybe it would work out like the NFL but I'd guess it would be more like Real and Barca winning most of the time.

Fulham is probably a bad club example. More like Everton, hanging around but a level below those at the top. After a decade of that how do you still call yourself one of the power houses? It gets tricky real fast.

Also most of the appeal of the CL is that you are seeing England's best take on Spain's best or Germany's take on Italy's. You need domestic competition to make that possible.

I'm not as sure.

Since United last won the champions league there have been 10 finals played. Real or Barca have won 7 of those.

And that's knockout football where you are more likely to see an upset. The league structure really does lead to the best side winning almost 100% of the time.

It's a far better strategy for the likes of United to stick in England given the financial strength of the league over giving Real and Barca the opportunity to dominate a super league.

Maybe it would work out like the NFL but I'd guess it would be more like Real and Barca winning most of the time.

Fulham is probably a bad club example. More like Everton, hanging around but a level below those at the top. After a decade of that how do you still call yourself one of the power houses? It gets tricky real fast.

Also most of the appeal of the CL is that you are seeing England's best take on Spain's best or Germany's take on Italy's. You need domestic competition to make that possible.

If it was a European super league I believe things would be far more even. Madrid have won 4 or 5 European cups of late, but were weak domestically. Getting over Bayern in the fashion they did one year, would be cancelled out in a league format. They would be found out on the whole and struggled.

Just as Barca have been weak for quite a while. Madrid were no good in the 00's like Bayern, and it's recently Bayern and Juve have picked it up again. United were strong and are now struggling. Point is, all the top team have a similar financial standing and worldwide fanbase, they would be trading spots at the top and it would go in cycles. I see no reason why there would be a tier between Barca/Madrid and the other top teams.

There may be a tier between the top 6/7 and the rest, but over time and with money being a leveler in the European super league, the likes of Milan and Dortmund would make ground on the top teams imo, as opposed to the gap widening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why is it ludicrous? You show the game that will get the biggest viewer numbers. United and Liverpool have the biggest following in Ireland and as such RTE will nearly always show one if those two teams games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

5star02707 wrote: »
    Good article from BBC regarding qualifications in Europe

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47806720

1st Man City
    2nd Liverpool
    3rd Chelsea
    4th Spurs

United win the Champions league
    Arsenal win the Europa league
    Both qualify for 2019/20 champions league

Spurs miss out yet again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just as Barca have been weak for quite a while.

Do you mean recently?

Just checking cause they've won, including this year which they should do, La Liga 4 out of the last 5 years and the Spanish Cup the last 4 years in a row, competing against the team that has won the champions league 4 times in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why is it ludicrous? You show the game that will get the biggest viewer numbers. United and Liverpool have the biggest following in Ireland and as such RTE will nearly always show one if those two teams games.

Presumably viewer numbers over the two legs. I wonder would the Liverpool tie still have the largest numbers overall if they win 5-0 tonight and the other tie is still in the balance after the first leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE are showing Barca V Utd next Tuesday. A match that could be rather academic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Berserker wrote: »
    You need to play your front three and I'd wouldn't play Lovren. Last thing you need tonight is Porto getting something to hold on to early doors due to a gaff at the back. Play your strongest XI tonight, win the tie and you can rest them next week.

Lovren starts mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks a ballsy selection from Porto. Seems they're looking for the away goal unlike Bayern. Mane vs Pereira looks a mismatch though. If Porto lose by more than two goals the tie is surely over. Even 2-0 would be tough to overturn. I'll say 2-1 Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LOL RTE showing Liverpool when the other match is the tie of the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Gary Lineker ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TheCitizen wrote: »
    LOL RTE showing Liverpool when the other match is the tie of the night

Commercial TV showing a game that benefits them shocker.

The Spurs V Man City game is on Virgin Media One

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

It seems like a very dark picture on virgin media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Porto made to rue that relative sitter 2 mins later. First foray by Liverpool into the opposition box. Clinical !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Strumms wrote: »
    Porto made to rue that relative sitter 2 mins later. First foray by Liverpool into the opposition box. Clinical !

Clinical, it was a deflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

VAR being checked for a handball :O

Certainly looks like it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

**** sake.

Yes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

RTE are showing Barca V Utd next Tuesday. A match that could be rather academic.

Nah, Barca could well score a few at home in the return leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Correct decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Poor by Aguero standard's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Kane, you, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, knob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Unbelievable atmospheric sound in that new stadium,

Porto just don’t look to have the quality in the final third going by what’s been seen so far. And as I type !

Salah goes down there and Porto down to 10.

• Advertisement

Surely Kane realizes that going down holding his face when there was zero contact, and throwing himself to the ground looking for a penalty only makes himself look like a dick, especially with VAR.

If the ref goes to VAR to check, and sees it's a dive can he book for simulation.

Poor miss there from Spurs.

After a slow enough start Liverpool are purring now, looks like a case of only how many. As good as Liverpool have been Porto can’t defend and almost in again .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely Kane realizes that going down holding his face when there was zero contact, and throwing himself to the ground looking for a penalty only makes himself look like a dick, especially with VAR.

If the ref goes to VAR to check, and sees it's a dive can he book for simulation.

It'll only get cut out when they start giving cards/bans after the game. The sooner the better imo.

Quazzie wrote: »

Poor miss there from Spurs.

Funny how the Irish commentators didn't pull him up on what was an obvious case of cheating.

Had it been Ronaldo or Ramos they would have been calling them cheating gits.

Jesus how many chances has their 11 missed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Porto screwed out of a deserved pen there.

Formality at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would not have given it

Edit
    What a miss from the Porto player

Is my TV screen in the wrong aspect ratio or has Kane just got a wil' long face?

Quite probably deliberate. I’d say not 100% conclusive due to the arm being close to the body which is what might have saved them. Porto back four/five look very dodge.

Play going on and the Porto player trying to help Mane up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Strumms wrote: »
    Quite probably deliberate. I’d say not 100% conclusive due to the arm being close to the body which is what might have saved them. Porto back four/five look very dodge.

He had his eyes closed so I doubt it was deliberate anyway but that doesn't matter because as far as I'm aware there's no mention of deliberate in the rules.

To me it looked like the ball was over the end line when it hit his hand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Were RTE blocked from showing City Spurs?

Hope so because I've no idea why they would choose to show Liverpool Porto.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Were RTE blocked from showing City Spurs?

Hope so because I've no idea why they would choose to show Liverpool Porto.

I think it means they have the return leg, which they must have decided was the better one to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Surely that was a joke, yea?

• Advertisement
Advertisement