Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Surely that was a joke, yea?

Eh no. I have it on BT Sport and their commentators, usually biased towards the Premier League teams, thought it was a pen. They also asked former referee Phil Dowd for his thoughts and he also said he would have given the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Porto screwed out of a deserved pen there.

"deserved" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Eh no. I have it on BT Sport and their commentators, usually biased towards the Premier League teams, thought it was a pen. They also asked former referee Phil Dowd for his thoughts and he also said he would have given the penalty.
    Not even sure TAA is still on the pitch when ball strikes his hand. VAR is a load of Boll1x if we're giving penalties for the likes of that, same as the one in the City Spurs game.

Phil Dowd and BT can Fvck right off, just stoking controversy for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So you didn’t form your own opinion but rely on a pundit to do it for ya😂😂😂😂😂
    Never a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TheCitizen wrote: »
    LOL RTE showing Liverpool when the other match is the tie of the night

Liverpool game is quality, haven't seen any of the other

So you didn’t form your own opinion but rely on a pundit to do it for ya😂😂😂😂😂
    Never a pen.

I formed my own opinion and the commentary team happened to agree with it. Pretty sure you'd be screaming for it if it went the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kiith wrote: »
    It'll only get cut out when they start giving cards/bans after the game. The sooner the better imo.

During the game would be better. An immediate punishment is much more of a deterrent than a yellow card that arrives in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I formed my own opinion and the commentary team happened to agree with it. Pretty sure you'd be screaming for it if it went the other way.

Playing that game are we.....OH NO WE WOULDN'T

8-10 wrote: »

I wouldn’t actually. Ever pen and as VAR said no, it mustn’t have been😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

8-10 wrote: »

I’m watching the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

TheCitizen wrote: »
    LOL RTE showing Liverpool when the other match is the tie of the night

Tis stupid, probably looking ahead knowing the second leg will be a dead rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tbh I was shocked no penalty was given for the handball. Unless the ball were was already over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was as much a penalty as the one United were given against PSG. I don't think either should be penalties, but I expected VAR to come back with one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

According to the rules, it was a penalty. But the rules are wrong imo, and it shouldn't have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

According to the rules, it was a penalty. But the rules are wrong imo, and it shouldn't have been.

That's where I'd land, but there's also the question of whether or not the ball had crossed the line when contact was made.

• Advertisement

That was close must have only been inches, why no line across.

That's where I'd land, but there's also the question of whether or not the ball had crossed the line when contact was made.

Oh sorry, i thought we were talking about the Spurs decision...haven't seen the other :pac:

Oh sorry, i thought we were talking about the Spurs decision...haven't seen the other :pac:

I was wondering why you were watching the liverpool game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pretty impressed with Porto going forward tonight, should have had at least one away goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Crazy that without VAR, that penalty for City wouldn't have been given and rightfully so.

Can always tell by the reaction of the team winning the peno, not one City player appealed for it

Same as the United one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He had his eyes closed so I doubt it was deliberate anyway but that doesn't matter because as far as I'm aware there's no mention of deliberate in the rules.

To me it looked like the ball was over the end line when it hit his hand though.

The term deliberate is deliberately mentioned in the rules. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kane hurt himself while trying to hurt someone else. :D:D:D

What’s the quality of the City - Spurs game like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Super first half. V high intensity.

Decent second half, Kane off injured, looked worrying enough

Could go either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Very good watch for a 0-0

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Decent contest, scrappy at times. Needs a goal.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It was as much a penalty as the one United were given against PSG. I don't think either should be penalties, but I expected VAR to come back with one.
    I'm not sure. For the PSG penalty, the player was actively attempting to block the ball and the ball travelled a big distance before hitting him. In this case, Alexander Arnold was a foot away from the keeper and not actively attempting to play the ball. Think that's what swung it for VAR. Personally didn't think either should have been a penalty, but the Man U penalty was more a penalty than the one today.

Jesus the finishing

AdamD wrote: »
    Very good watch for a 0-0

Spurs just scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Spurs have a bit of a chance now. Especially if they keep City scoreless here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

1-0, Spurs turning it on tonight against City. Spurs have a great chance if they can take this lead to the second leg. Where is this Porto side that supposed to give Liverpool a game? 2-0 after 30 mins. Game and tie over in the first half, as I said. Liverpool should have gone for the jugular though.

Should be a red card for Salah.

The BT commentators, including former referee Phil Dowd, think so too.

https://twitter.com/foetball247/status/1115717728634118144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Berserker wrote: »
    1-0, Spurs turning it on tonight against City. Spurs have a great chance if they can take this lead to the second leg. Where is this Porto side that supposed to give Liverpool a game? 2-0 after 30 mins. Game and tie over in the first half, as I said. Liverpool should have gone for the jugular though.

Porto have been decent, could easily have scored themselves

Should be a red card for Salah.

The BT commentators, including former referee Phil Dowd, think so too.

Disgraceful challenge. Could have broken that chap's leg. Should be banned retrospectively for that.
    naughtb4 wrote: »

Liverpool took their foot off the gas after that second goal. They can get another at any point in tie, if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I thought that fan was gonna attack Delph.

The second leg of Spurs v Man City has the potential to be epic.

What ****housery did Fabhino get up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Salah very poor again tonight.

naughtb4 wrote: »

I doubt they will turn it around, when they had good spells it was either a **** final ball time after time and then when they did find good delivery the ability to finish deserted them.

• Advertisement

Moussa looks like a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

lawred2 wrote: »
    Were RTE blocked from showing City Spurs?

Hope so because I've no idea why they would choose to show Liverpool Porto.

Fairly obvious as there is far more Liverpool fans which equal higher ratings.

Difficult for Porto to come back without the away goal. They needed a break but it's tough for the smaller teams to get the decisions when it counts. No idea how VAR didn't intervene on this:

https://twitter.com/CFCDon/status/1115718706972241930

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Spuds players acting like they’re through already......Hmmmmm....

Can it be reviewed after the game, since it wasn't booked? Or has it changed with the introduction of VAR?
    Garzorico wrote: »
    Spuds players acting like they’re through already......Hmmmmm....

Yeah, sad to see a team celebrating winning the first leg of the quarter finals in the first CL game in their new stadium :rolleyes:

Pointless in have 3 officials, VAR and an atrocious attempt at a tackle could be overlooked without ANY action, that’s a potential leg breaker, a career ender the more you see it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

VAR is awful. I really dislike it. The idea is great, the result terrible more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

lawred2 wrote: »
    Were RTE blocked from showing City Spurs?

Hope so because I've no idea why they would choose to show Liverpool Porto.

No RTE had 1st choice of game and choose Liverpool game. They need the viewing figures to pay for showing the Champions League games.

Liverpool will bring in more viewers than Spurs or Man City
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I think it means they have the return leg, which they must have decided was the better one to show

2nd leg is next Wednesday RTE only have Tuesday games

Can it be reviewed after the game, since it wasn't booked? Or has it changed with the introduction of VAR?

The Salah tackle? I would think so. He didn't get booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Difficult for Porto to come back without the away goal. They needed a break but it's tough for the smaller teams to get the decisions when it counts. No idea how VAR didn't intervene on this:

https://twitter.com/CFCDon/status/1115718706972241930
    I wonder do VAR take into account that he's being pulled back as he goes to make the challenge, or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Berserker wrote: »
    Disgraceful challenge. Could have broken that chap's leg. Should be banned retrospectively for that.

Liverpool took their foot off the gas after that second goal. They can get another at any point in tie, if needed.

VAR looked at it ref gave a free kick so doing anything retrospectively will be making up new rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement