Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

VAR looked at it ref gave a free kick so doing anything retrospectively will be making up new rules

Didn't think VAR looked at that challenge. If they did and they thought that was nothing more than a free kick then you'd have to question the ability of the officials.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Berserker wrote: »
    The Salah tackle? I would think so. He didn't get booked.

Apparently VAR looked at it, and the ref saw it in real time and gave a free. I doubt there can or will be further action, but who knows.

It should have been red though imo, so if VAR looked at it (as they did it would seem) and gave nothing, that's bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Mo lucky to stay on the pitch but the hilarious reaction to be expected. "potential leg breaker" "career ender". He actually tackled him, he made contact with his leg, the lad got up straight away, his legs not broke, his career isn't over.

Yes it should have been a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That challenge had nothing to do with any pulling back. It was a terrible challenge, you have to admit.
    I'm not defending Salah, but if you look again, he's going to make a tackle but gets tugged, which delays his tackle.
    It is a bad challenge, no argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Salah was fouled but ref didn't call, Salah then committed a foul, a bad one and he could have gotten sent off but the ref gave a free against Salah so it can't be reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jacool wrote: »
    I wonder do VAR take into account that he's being pulled back as he goes to make the challenge, or not?

Didn't look like he was being pulled back but even if he was, how would that make him thrust his leg forward? Another angle here:

https://twitter.com/mariamiamors/status/1115717814055313409

Fromvert wrote: »
    Salah was fouled but ref didn't call, Salah then committed a foul, a bad one and he could have gotten sent off but the ref gave a free against Salah so it can't be reviewed.

I know in PL there is this "can't be reviewed once action taken on pitch" weird thing, but it might be different in UEFA comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The Salah tackle? I would think so. He didn't get booked.

Dealt with via VAR. so no further action AFAIK.

Didn't look like he was being pulled back but even if he was, how would that make him thrust his leg forward? Another angle here:

I enjoy seeing you upset after Liverpool play. It warms my heart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

.G. wrote: »
    Mo lucky to stay on the pitch but the hilarious reaction to be expected. "potential leg breaker" "career ender". He actually tackled him, he made contact with his leg, the lad got up straight away, his legs not broke, his career isn't over.

in the wise words of SAF...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

5starpool wrote: »
    VAR is awful. I really dislike it. The idea is great, the result terrible more often than not.

Nonsense. They haven’t learned how to use it properly yet is the problem. VAR is the best thing that ever happened to football.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nonsense. They haven’t learned how to use it properly yet is the problem. VAR is the best thing that ever happened to football.

Why use it in massive games then? :confused:

Keep testing it until it works, then deploy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

.G. wrote: »

The outrage is hilarious, as if porto were robbed because of it ,5-6 minutes left, 2 nil down and useless, never getting anything out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I feel like we’re going to see another eight hundred angles of that Salah tackle posted here before the night is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah was a red card no doubt again shows VAR doesn't work.

Jaysus Delph really did Kane.

Did VAR review that one?

• Didn't look like he was being pulled back but even if he was, how would that make him thrust his leg forward? Another angle here:

Scummy challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I know in PL there is this "can't be reviewed once action taken on pitch" weird thing, but it might be different in UEFA comps.

Possibly I don't know UEFA's rule either assumed that one was across the board but I watched it back just now and the ref is definitely talking to someone while making the decision so I assume VAR looked at it or maybe they looked at the Porto penalty claim 20 seconds previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Slight overreaction. Its an improvement (mostly) but its far from perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

They should have the officials on video and playing the audio explaining why they’re making the calls

• Advertisement

Suarez and Messi tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Salah lucky to not get any punishment. Delph did nothing wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Looking forward to seeing the best player in the world do his thing tomorrow night. I’ll probably catch the highlights of the Juve game the following morning.

As a complete neutral
    Here tonight, it warms my heart to see the rivalry is still
    Strong with some clubs. Hopefully the same reasoning is used tomorrow night when the the majority of lads posting tonight will be sitting on the edge of their seats defending every challenge and they react to some troll from
    Another club as most have reacted to them tonight

Another ad hominem win for yours truly. I'll add it to the pile. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In the video link you posted have a look at the 7 second mark you can clearly see the number 3 of Porto pull back Salahs arm putting him off balance.

• Advertisement

So it's the best thing ever, but they can't use it properly? Are you not totally contradicting yourself there?

As I said, nice idea, terrible execution.

It's priceless. Cracking posts

Another ad hominem win for yours truly. I'll add it to the pile. ;)

You're winning the ad hominem league then I assume? Well done.

Why are they using it in the biggest competition in European football then Citizen?
    Jaysus Delph really did Kane. Did VAR review that one?

I thought not but given that they reviewed the Salah one and managed to conclude that all was good, I'm thinking twice now.

Much as I want to watch Messi having a kick about in OT, part of me keeps getting drawn to Ajax v Juve. Think that really could be a cracker. Ajax will die on that pitch tomorrow. They'll concede for definite but Juve will need to battle for their lives for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looking forward to the ad hominem bus parade at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Should be a red card for Salah.

The BT commentators, including former referee Phil Dowd, think so too.

https://twitter.com/foetball247/status/1115717728634118144

Yeah, very lucky to get away with that. The good news is, he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Wonder what kind of reaction Suarez will get tomorrow. I hope he scores and runs the length of the field.

In the video link you posted have a look at the 7 second mark you can clearly see the number 3 of Porto pull back Salahs arm putting him off balance.

Looks like he shrugs him off, but even if he was unbalanced how would that lead to him thrusting his leg forcefully into an opponent? Think that defies the laws of physics, mate.
    5starpool wrote:
    You're winning the ad hominem league then I assume? Well done.

Sure, I'll post the alternative view table any day now.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, very lucky to get away with that. The good news is, he did.

Wonder if Klopp will rest him for the second leg. Reckon a Porto play might decide to dish out some payback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I completely missed that Salah tackle in the game, was it on the breakaway late on when Porto had just had a peno shout?

Definite red for me having seen the clip on Twitter. Did VAR definitely review it? I have to say the way VAR is announced is a bit of a farce, nobody has a clue what’s going on or what’s being checked. And then you still only get 3 mins added on after 5 subs and multiple VAR checks along with other stoppages?

Bizarre

Yeah he's being tugged back which has definitely affected how he's gone in for the ball. Nothing malicious but still a red though.

On a side note,
    Well done to both Spurs and Pool on good 1st leg wins tonight.

If Delph was foreign I wonder how much time BT would be putting on that tackle.

They are saying Fernandinho should have seen red for his on Kane.

8-10 wrote: »
    Did VAR definitely review it? I have to say the way VAR is announced is a bit of a farce, nobody has a clue what’s going on or what’s being checked.

I've no time for it. Interrupts the flow of the game also. Showing the decision on the screen is a must if they want to make it work.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah he's being tugged back which has definitely affected how he's gone in for the ball. Nothing malicious but still a red though.

Never said it was not and did say he was lucky to get away with it on the liverpool thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've no time for it. Interrupts the flow of the game also. Showing the decision on the screen is a must if they want to make it work.

And the discussion should be listened to. Too secretive.

Wonder if Klopp will rest him for the second leg. Reckon a Porto play might decide to dish out some payback.

Payback for what though? It's mistimed because he's off balance and is not intentional. Yeah, it should have been a red, but i hardly think the Porto players are in the dressing room now raging about the tackle, it's probably hardly am afterthought apart from wishing he was suspended for the second leg.

lawred2 wrote: »

Yeah, good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Nothing in the Delph tackle

Yellow max for Fernandinho

Need to come up with something, having it on screen will work in the premier league as that will be in English but with UEFA they would need some team to have it all ready in so many languages

Tomorrow night should be fun here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

lawred2 wrote:

Yup, it's needs to be done entirely like the rugby.

Nothing in the Delph tackle

Yellow max for Fernandinho

Oh Delph new what he was doing that is intention. Red for me.

Nothing at all in the Fernandinho for me no card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

VAR is awful. I really dislike it. The idea is great, the result terrible more often than not.

VAR is a load bollox. It hasn't improved the game. We're in a situation where people have a lot more time to pore over decisions but still reach as many incorrect conclusions.

Its a joke. The game was never broken, just marginally imperfect, and the solution is to deliberate longer, but still deliver as many imperfect decisions... Ffs.. Let just let it go

• Advertisement

Only seen a quick view seemed he elbowed him in the back of the head as both were on the ground

Advertisement