Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

United didn't even have a shot on target tonight. That's poor for the home team and it's not like Barca we're at their flying best.

I lost count of the amount of times Young passed the ball to a Barca player. He wouldn't cross his legs either. How he get a new contract at United is a mystery, even more so when they are going to let Herrera leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just sick over that OG decision; absolutely right decision but still, no money for me out of it. :p Suarez should have taken that chance in the second half. Would have been bread and butter to him a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ajax are brilliant to watch. Hopefully they do it in the second leg. Have a feeling they might. Need to capitalise on this chance before they are ripped apart

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Barca far from impressive, but you give Messi an inch and he'll create something.

United played well enough, but no real chances other than Dalot's header.

Given Barcas dodgy away performances in this stage of the competition in recent years theyll be happy enough. Should be able to see off United in the Camp Nou.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Quite a good game in Amsterdam,Ajax showing that beating RM was no fluke

They played Madrid off the pitch in both the games and the same for Juve tonight. Still fancy the Italians to edge it with experience in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hope Ajax can do it in the second leg. Some of their play tonight was excellent and they could have easily won that game. But it's really hard to see Juventus not having enough to go through.

Arghus wrote: »
    Hope Ajax can do it in the second leg. Some of their play tonight was excellent and they could have easily won that game. But it's really hard to see Juventus not having enough to go through.

I think these away legs favour Ajax tbh, there's more space for them to get in behind with their pace and passing as the home team has to be more open. Playing away doesn't seem to deter them in the slightest, they will set up in the same manner as they don't know how to play any different. Could be a long night for Juve imo, Ajax will go at them and will be relentless, and they'll have more space. Juve will get goals themselves, but I think the Ajax siege will be too much.

It's great to watch, Ajax forcing their game onto some of the best teams in the world, and on their home patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope you are right. Tonight's game did seem very similar to the first leg against Madrid in many ways. Ajax dominant with the ball and creating chance after chance, but not getting their just reward. They definitely have the ability to do it away at Juve, but I wonder can they really turn over a disappointing result in the first leg of a tie for the second round in succession. They were brilliant in the second leg away at Madrid, but they were facing a Real at a fairly low ebb as well: I think Juve will be a much harder nut to crack and I'd imagine they'll have some tactical approach to counter Ajax. Though Ajax do have a relentless quality to them that might see them through, but I'd still fancy Juve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

niallo27 wrote: »
    You would have to fancy liverpool's chances against Barca in the semi final. Not a lot to fear from watching tonight.

Hmm, there's still Porto to play in the second leg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

radiata wrote: »
    Hmm, there's still Porto to play in the second leg...

True but that liverpool side is too good not to score and to concede 4 or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing about ajax is that they don't play with any fear.

They don't do negative tactics like a lot of teams who change when away from home. They will play the same game in turin, and just attack as usual. It served them well in Madrid and they'll do same again.

They'll not fear Juve at all after last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

niallo27 wrote: »
    True but that liverpool side is too good not to score and to concede 4 or more.

Same Liverpool side lost 3 from 3 away games in the group, didn't look close to scoring v Red Star or Napoli.

Favourites to go through, in a good position scorewise and really shouldn't go out from here (don't think they ever have after a 2 goal lead from first leg?).....but it's not a done deal. Porto looked dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

8-10 wrote: »
    Same Liverpool side lost 3 from 3 away games in the group, didn't look close to scoring v Red Star or Napoli.

Favourites to go through, in a good position scorewise and really shouldn't go out from here (don't think they ever have after a 2 goal lead from first leg?).....but it's not a done deal. Porto looked dangerous.

Porto will have captain Hector Herrera back and Pepe .
    It will be a tuff game for Liverpool no doubt about it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Porto will have captain Hector Herrera back and Pepe .
    It will be a tuff game for Liverpool no doubt about it ,

It won't. Liverpool just need to score to guarantee progress. They'll do that. Porto need to score three, at least and not concede, which isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there reasoning behind the thing of swapping the fixtures for the return legs? (teams that play tues, play 2nd legs on Wed and vice versa) as opposed to giving all teams the same time between games?

Benfica are easily the top team in Portugal the last few years. Porto are muck, robbed the league on the run in last year. This Porto team are as weak as they've ever been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Benfica are easily the top team in Portugal the last few years. Porto are muck, robbed the league on the run in last year. This Porto team are as weak as they've ever been

And yet they're neck and neck in the league with only goal difference separating them, and Porto got to the finals of both cups, with Benfica making it to neither.

Not to mention Porto getting past Roma in the Champions League knockouts.

Next to nothing between them in reality. Both decent teams.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And yet they're neck and neck in the league with only goal difference separating them, and Porto got to the finals of both cups, with Benfica making it to neither.

Not to mention Porto getting past Roma in the Champions League knockouts.

Next to nothing between them in reality. Both decent teams.

Benfica have been by far the best team in Portugal the last 5 or 6 years. They had a poor run in last year and carried that poor form into the start of this year. Since then they've picked it up again and reeled in Porto, comprehensively outscoring them. They'll pull further ahead in the league too most likely.

The leagues in the weaker nations don't always tell the full story. Porto, like PSV for example, have been stuttering over alot of teams, alot of last minute winners to stay in contention. The second team will always be close, as they are also a level above most of the fodder in those league's, they'll beat most of the rest. I like Porto, just think this is one of their weaker outfits by their own standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think these away legs favour Ajax tbh, there's more space for them to get in behind with their pace and passing as the home team has to be more open. Playing away doesn't seem to deter them in the slightest, they will set up in the same manner as they don't know how to play any different. Could be a long night for Juve imo, Ajax will go at them and will be relentless, and they'll have more space. Juve will get goals themselves, but I think the Ajax siege will be too much.

Ajax are a breath of fresh air to the European game the way they play. I can see Juve being very cagey they won't commit too many numbers forward. It was a defensive masterclass the other night from them considering the amount of pressure they were under and I can't see them playing as bad again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Ajax are a breath of fresh air to the European game the way they play. I can see Juve being very cagey they won't commit too many numbers forward. It was a defensive masterclass the other night from them considering the amount of pressure they were under and I can't see them playing as bad again.

It goes to show that beating them in the Europa
    Final was a bigger achievement for Jose Mourinho's United than first thought .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is there reasoning behind the thing of swapping the fixtures for the return legs? (teams that play tues, play 2nd legs on Wed and vice versa) as opposed to giving all teams the same time between games?

Tv rights. In some countries one broadcaster has Tuesday games, another broadcaster has Wednesday games. So swapping the matches stops one broadcaster getting both legs of the biggest tie in their market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Tv rights. In some countries one broadcaster has Tuesday games, another broadcaster has Wednesday games. So swapping the matches stops one broadcaster getting both legs of the biggest tie in their market.

Yeah when it comes to UEFA, or any footballing body, the answer is always TV/money

Anybody know when the semi-final fixtures and dates are going to be confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,228 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Porto were in 1st position for 30 of the 34 gameweeks last season.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Paging Golden Miller to the burns ward.

So I see the flags at Old Trafford where left there by the club for the fans,

Didn't get Chelsea get abuse form everyone of doing this trying to manufactory atmosphere ?

Chelsea where that bad at it they copied the Flag Liverpool used for Torres and forgot to take the Shankley gates of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So I see the flags at Old Trafford where left there by the club for the fans,

Didn't get Chelsea get abuse form everyone of doing this trying to manufactory atmosphere ?

Chelsea where that bad at it they copied the Flag Liverpool used for Torres and forgot to take the Shankley gates of it

Would explain why its like a computer game copy and paste crowd

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Foi68.tinypic.com%2Fwlwwnd.jpg&hash=d4041eda15c5e93c85a9383d242414f9

FitzShane wrote: »

Porto were in 1st position for 30 of the 34 gameweeks last season.

:confused::confused::confused:

So Benfica mucked up the run in then, after going into pole position? Should of been Benfica's 6th league on the bounce really, after they mucked up a run in when playing Chelsea in the Europa league final 5 years previous

Porto will always do enough to beat the other fodder in the league. Can take a while for the better team to reel the other in, neither are going to drop many points, once one gets a head start. Benfica are by far the superior football team, Porto are limited by comparison. If Liverpool had to play Benfica in the return league, there could be a game. Porto just have nothing to trouble Liverpool with footballwise.

PSV led every gameweek in Holland this year. Yet they are a limited team, stuttering and sort of grinding out results. Muck in comparison to Ajax. But post a league table there to disprove that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I reckon in an alternative world, you're riding Benfica while Porto is the disgruntled ex who gave you an std.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I reckon in an alternative world, you're riding Benfica while Porto is the disgruntled ex who gave you an std.

Aye you should see Benfica, her moves are beautiful. Porto on the other, did the job, but meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would explain why its like a computer game copy and paste crowd

proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Foi68.tinypic.com%2Fwlwwnd.jpg&hash=d4041eda15c5e93c85a9383d242414f9

I know he’s (strangely) moving on to bigger and better things but the ‘Die Die Ander Herrera’ ones are a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Man City vs tott on Irish tv next Wednesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Just the paid channels - BT sport and Virgin Media sport have the Wednesday games.

Tuesday games are on RTE2 and Virgins free to air Channel as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I know he’s (strangely) moving on to bigger and better things but the ‘Die Die Ander Herrera’ ones are a bit much.

You need glasses kid. Ole ole ander hererra

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You need glasses kid. Ole ole ander hererra

I thought it was this

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No FTA game on weds unless you are a virgin media customer.

Nope, you can have your pick of the Tuesday games though. I'd recommend the Juventus v Ajax game after watching the first leg last week. Ajax were absolutely brilliant in that game; a joy to watch. They'll give it socks on Tuesday also, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Finals 2nd legs
    Playing Tuesday

Barcelona (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) (Agg 1-0) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Juventus (ITA) V Ajax (NED) (Agg 1-1 ) - Live on BT Sport 3 / Virgin Media 1

Playing Wednesday
    Manchester City (ENG) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Porto (POR) V Liverpool (ENG) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 3

Wouldn't be surprised if United get a win in Spain ,

Barcelona have not impressed me for a while, although I think the return of Dembele may cause United problems last week they had zero pace to worry about he will change that,

United v Liverpool semi final would be epic but very hard to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Frenkie De Jong will apparently be fit for Ajax despite coming off Saturday with a hamstring problem. Think Ajax could have gotten more for him had they not sold him already in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So Benfica mucked up the run in then, after going into pole position? Should of been Benfica's 6th league on the bounce really, after they mucked up a run in when playing Chelsea in the Europa league final 5 years previous

Porto will always do enough to beat the other fodder in the league. Can take a while for the better team to reel the other in, neither are going to drop many points, once one gets a head start. Benfica are by far the superior football team, Porto are limited by comparison. If Liverpool had to play Benfica in the return league, there could be a game. Porto just have nothing to trouble Liverpool with footballwise.

PSV led every gameweek in Holland this year. Yet they are a limited team, stuttering and sort of grinding out results. Muck in comparison to Ajax. But post a league table there to disprove that

PSV won 16 of the first 17 games of the season this year, scoring 60 goals and conceding 8. THat includes a 3-0 win against Ajax. They have stuttered a little more in the second half of the season but they definitely werent scraping over the line against teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whats next, are Barcelona stumbling to an undeserved La Liga win? Juve just doing enough without impressing in Italy? And god only knows how PSG are still top of the table...

8-10 wrote: »
    I would hate it. But I'd take anyone in the semi final if it means getting through.

Anybody know when the dates of the semi finals would be made available? Assume it's Thursday or Friday this week? If we do get through flights will shoot up in price straight away, last season was ridiculous.

*I'm assuming as a Pool fan you are talking about their potential semi.

Just to note, the winners of Liverpool/Porto are scheduled to play at home 2nd so 6th/7th May in the semi.

The only way this will change is if both Manchester clubs get through. Then the winners of Liverpool/Porto will play at home first (Apr 30th/1st May).

PSV won 16 of the first 17 games of the season this year, scoring 60 goals and conceding 8. THat includes a 3-0 win against Ajax. They have stuttered a little more in the second half of the season but they definitely werent scraping over the line against teams.

I've lost track of the amount of last minute goals they scored, even in the first half of the season to keep that run going.

I don't really see the issue with my original post on this topic. Porto are a poor team by last 8/4 Champions League standards and by some of their own previous European standards. Football and ability wise, they are limited and a level below Benfica. I only brought Benfica up, to make a comparison that they may have caused Liverpool a bit of trouble, as they are a better footballing side i.e Liverpool are safe v Porto

So anyone predictions for tonight ?

I think

2- 1 Juve
    3-1 Barca , although as a Liverpool fan I would like United to pull off an upset ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Even though I think the favourites are good to get through I had to chuck a tenner on Ajax & Man U to progress, just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So anyone predictions for tonight ?

I think

2- 1 Juve
    3-1 Barca , although as a Liverpool fan I would like United to pull off an upset ,

Barca looked no great shakes against United. Pool should not fear playing them. United vrs Pool in the semi though would be a horrid affair for both sets of fans. I would not be confident on either side. Pool are objectively the better team but games like that are weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Barca looked no great shakes against United. Pool should not fear playing them. United vrs Pool in the semi though would be a horrid affair for both sets of fans Boards. I would not be confident on either side. Pool are objectively the better team but games like that are weird

Fyp ;)

Barca looked no great shakes against United. Pool should not fear playing them. United vrs Pool in the semi though would be a horrid affair for both sets of fans. I would not be confident on either side. Pool are objectively the better team but games like that are weird

I wouldn't use the United game as a barometer for Barca. Much like Real, they have the talent in their ranks to pull out a world class performance when they need it. United are a very limited side, so Barca will get the job done. They've nothing to gain from going out there and pulling out all the stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cant see passed Barca, their home record in the CL is pretty insane.

Ajax will definitely go for it against Juventus and I fancy them to score but they wont keep Juventus out at the other end so that should be the better game to watch for the neutrals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can see Barca giving Man Utd pasting tonight. A few for Messi.

Advertisement