Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Now, if Ajax or Barca could win it to save football, I'd be happy.[/QUOTE]

Ah lad, the bitterness is to real there😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Liverpool forward line will love playing against barca. They will get plenty of chances

And Ronaldo left utd in his prime?

I think it's safe to say he was at Madrid when he was ripping up all the trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Nevermind, ninja edit from what I quoted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

NIMAN wrote: »
    Liverpool forward line will love playing against barca. They will get plenty of chances

And Ronaldo left utd in his prime?

I think it's safe to say he was at Madrid when he was ripping up all the trees.

As you just said!!!!!!!! He was 24/25, so in his prime, slipping now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Marcotti/status/1118260283724718081?s=19

Great description of Ajax by a lad who was pretty decent player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not about how good he is, but about a young player having an ambition to play football rather than sit on his hole and earn a dumptruck of cash.
    If it wasn't city he'd barely get a mention. To hear them talking you would have though he was going to beat Spurs on his own The usual anti city agenda from the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Barca Liverpool is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Utd were so bad in possession at the back none of the back 4 or keeper are comfortable on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope Barca Liverpool is a cracker

Liverpool should rest players tomorrow, the big game is cardiff at the weekend. Cant afford to lose that one.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kona wrote: »
    Liverpool should rest players tomorrow, the big game is cardiff at the weekend. Cant afford to lose that one.

Thanks for that Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Marcotti/status/1118260283724718081?s=19

Great description of Ajax by a lad who was pretty decent player

Sounds like Stephen Hawking would have slotted right in to the team.

5starpool wrote: »
    Thanks for that Gary.

Gary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

kona wrote: »
    Gary?

No, that’s 5starpool.

martyos121 wrote: »
    No, that’s 5starpool.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

nNsfAsg.gif
    Overmars and van der Sar celebrating Ajax win :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

What a game of football we were served with in Turin tonight. The inevitable will probably happen(De Jong gone already) but I hope Ajax turn down any offers for more of their stars. They are truly a joy to watch playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ajax were brilliant. I've seen some chat online that City/Spurs will be happy Juventus are out but you wouldn't think that having watched the game. They played Juve off the pitch for the entire 2nd half.

Mad thing is PSV are level on points at the top with Ajax so it's not like they are running away with the Eredivisie.

Ridiculous nonsense from the Virgin Media panel tonight regarding Ronaldo although granted i was a CR doubter myself for years.

The guy for me is still joint pound for pound best footballer out there and if anything he has got even better the last few years. He walked off the field tonight in a huff and while i used be petty enough to delight in the misfortune this man would have, it is exactly this attitude that makes CR so great. He hates to lose and as a result he seldom does. Anyways for anyone to put this defeat at Ronaldos door is absolutely ridiculous. He had around two shots on goal this whole tie and scored two. Only for him, Juve would have been deservedly humiliated. In a world scarce in individual footballing talent, Ronaldo is still king along with a certain little Argentinian. Mbappe aside, they are still miles ahead of the pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why do so many people look for ways to to knock or critisize Ronaldo or Messi, why can't we just enjoy them while we can, they are both unbelievable footballers, it'll be a sad day when they are gone and all we have is old clips to look at, I just don't get it, enjoy them while we can we might never see their like again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

nNsfAsg.gif
    Overmars and van der Sar celebrating Ajax win :D

Overmars doesn't look like a speed merchant any more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why do so many people look for ways to to knock or critisize Ronaldo or Messi, why can't we just enjoy them while we can, they are both unbelievable footballers, it'll be a sad day when they are gone and all we have is old clips to look at, I just don't get it, enjoy them while we can we might never see their like again

The Messi v Ronaldo debate has been put to bed for another year after last night's humbling events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rob316 wrote: »
    Provided we progress past Porto, Liverpool will get alot of joy out of Barca, not saying they will beat them but it'll be close.
    United so poor more than Barca brilliant.

Messi aside I don't think they have much for Liverpool or City

I think this is said for any game against Barcelona for English teams. I'm not saying Barcelona will win either, but the idea that persists - right through even this tie where United offered precious little that they are there 'to be got at' is inexplicable. Time after time games against English sides, Barcelona generally have come out on top in close games. There is no one to be got at.

Porto, Ajax, Barca, Spurs would be a nice last four...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool versus Barca would be a fascinating tie, assuming Liverpool can survive the Esto do Dragtonight which is certainly not a given. They present terrible match up issues for each other - Liverpool's pace and speed on the counter could pose Barca issues. Barca's setup and way of interlinking around Messi and Suarez will probably test Liverpool's defence more than any opponent they've faced this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are Juve the worst European performers of them all? Especially given their resources, far the richest team in Italy, can pick and choose who they play in what games, effectively able to save players for the Champions league games, and still out at the QF stages. Only 2 European cups in their history, last one in 1996 is it.... Very poor return for a so-called European heavyweight.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Are Juve the worst European performers of them all? Especially given their resources, far the richest team in Italy, can pick and choose who they play in what games, effectively able to save players for the Champions league games, and still out at the QF stages. Only 2 European cups in their history, last one in 1996 is it.... Very poor return for a so-called European heavyweight.

They've lost 7 finals, the most of any team

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyways for anyone to put this defeat at Ronaldos door is absolutely ridiculous. He had around two shots on goal this whole tie and scored two.
    In no way was it Ronaldo's fault for the Juve exit. Ronaldo did what he always does, he scores goals. He's a truly great player.
    But that's why I separate him from the Messi, with Messi being the greatest. Messi also has the goals, but is repeatedly involved in the game (i.e. his pass that led to the 3rd goal last night), coming deep to link up play and contributing far more than just goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They have won 2 European cups so I'm gonna say no to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

dfx- wrote: »
    I think this is said for any game against Barcelona for English teams. I'm not saying Barcelona will win either, but the idea that persists - right through even this tie where United offered precious little that they are there 'to be got at' is inexplicable. Time after time games against English sides, Barcelona generally have come out on top in close games. There is no one to be got at.

A better team than United would of caused problems for Barca. Chelsea have often caused them major problems, Bayern have before, as did Inter, Juve etc. They have a soft underbelly that can be exposed if done right. Of course, easier said than done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

It’s the history of Juventus. They always create many chances and score so much but, in the end, they miss always something to arrive at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A better team than United would of caused problems for Barca. Chelsea have often caused them major problems, Bayern have before, as did Inter, Juve etc. They have a soft underbelly that can be exposed if done right. Of course, easier said than done

Barca are not by any stretch a great team anymore but they have the worlds best player,

Messi was the difference last night,

United started much better but once he scored the first it all changed ,
    The type of goal was important to ,the goal was so good that the defenders and defensive midfield of United suddenly stop pressing and doing what they done early as they are afraid Messi will ripe them apart again if they leave space ,

Once they stop doing it the attacking players are left cut off from the rest of the United team and the game totally changes,

The Messi effect, you have to be brave against Barca to beat them .,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Barca are not by any stretch a great team anymore but they have the worlds best player,

Messi was the difference last night,

United started much better but once he scored the first it all changed ,
    The type of goal was important to ,the goal was so good that the defenders and defensive midfield of United suddenly stop pressing and doing what they done early as they are afraid Messi will ripe them apart again if they leave space ,

Once they stop doing it the attacking players are left cut off from the rest of the United team and the game totally changes,

The Messi effect, you have to be brave against Barca to beat them .,

bit simplistic

Arthur, Rakitic and Busquets largely dominated midfield

However they are not good at the back

lawred2 wrote: »
    bit simplistic

Arthur, Rakitic and Busquets largely dominated midfield

However they are not good at the back

They did but only once Messi scored a worldie,

The 3 above are very slow and struggled at the start due to the pressure from United midfield, They stopped pressing after the goal as they all got scared of leaving space behind them and then Barca took over,

Rewatch the game once Messi score look at how the position United midfield take up changes ,

Even in the first game United sat off them first 15 minutes and looked lost and once they started pressing them they looked better,

If you let Barca pass the ball under little pressure your asking for trouble

There still a good side of course but not a great side as they have been previously

If Liverpool get through ,
    It' ll be very interesting how Klopp goes about the away game,
    Will he have a high press from all or will he drop Bobby onto Busquets (who's legs look a lot older than 30 these days , ) and keep Salah and Mane high they way the did away to Spurs early this season ,

I think Spurs shape with how high they push on the full backs is the closet in the Perm to Barca shape wise ,,

Liverpool's direct counter attacking and Ajax's total football would cut through Barca's defense. Think Liverpool will do something similar to what they did to City in the Champions League last year

[HTML][/HTML]
    Liverpool's direct counter attacking and Ajax's total football would cut through Barca's defense. Think Liverpool will do something similar to what they did to City in the Champions League last year

I also think City would out play them....................................................................... but Messi can just do something out of this world and win a game or a tie

[HTML][/HTML]

I also think City would out play them....................................................................... but Messi can just do something out of this world and win a game or a tie

Think a City game would be far closer, slower build up play from both, bit like a game of chess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

ERG89 wrote:
    They have won 2 European cups so I'm gonna say no to that

So have Nottingham Forest. It's a poor return for a club that's one of the biggest in the world. They've won the last 7 leagues and have a good few more in the years before that.

Mad that even when they were bribing people they didn't win any though and Ajax are still aggrieved over being beat by them in 1996 as there were strong suspicions of institutional doping at Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

.G. wrote: »
    So have Nottingham Forest. It's a poor return for a club that's one of the biggest in the world. They've won the last 7 leagues and have a good few more in the years before that.

Mad that even when they were bribing people they didn't win any though and Ajax are still aggrieved over being beat by them in 1996 as there were strong suspicions of institutional doping at Juve.

There is no doping in football sure....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-drug-scandal-that-blackens-the-name-of-juves-team-of-the-nineties-728710.html

Suspicions alright!

GLaDOS wrote: »
    They've lost 7 finals, the most of any team

And the win in 85 was given to them if you ever see the pen they were awarded it was about 3ft outside the box, they were so desperate to hand that win to them after heysel

That's not against this team though, that's nearly ten years ago at this stage. This is a more conservative team under Valverde.

The biggest problem Barcelona face is their woeful away form in first legs against anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That's not against this team though, that's nearly ten years ago at this stage. This is a more conservative team under Valverde.

The biggest problem Barcelona face is their woeful away form in first legs against anyone.

Well they have the semi-final 1st leg at home

I think many of the same weaknesses are there, they just haven't faced any great tests yet. I think Liverpool will rip them apart

And if they beat Liverpool, the same will be said that City/Ajax will be the first real test and they will do it instead.
    Well they have the semi-final 1st leg at home

They're not hugely better in the 2nd leg...Roma..

And if they beat Liverpool, the same will be said that City/Ajax will be the first real test and they will do it instead.

Well no, Liverpool are one of the top teams, and they are bang on form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And the win in 85 was given to them if you ever see the pen they were awarded it was about 3ft outside the box, they were so desperate to hand that win to them after heysel

Yeah it was a shocking penalty but the game should never have been played, I don't think they were given the peno for that reason, it was just a terrible decision from a ref who wasn't up with the play and was too far away to see where the tackle was. But in the grand scheme of things that game wasn't important at all, horrific night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah it was a shocking penalty but the game should never have been played, I don't think they were given the peno for that reason, it was just a terrible decision from a ref who wasn't up with the play and was too far away to see where the tackle was. But in the grand scheme of things that game wasn't important at all, horrific night.

It's for the best Liverpool didn't win that night - the clubs' reputation is tarnished by that night anyway without adding the clubs' honours roll to the sense of shame/regret as well.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    It's for the best Liverpool didn't win that night - the clubs' reputation is tarnished by that night anyway without adding the clubs' honours roll to the sense of shame/regret as well.

I think Liverpool fans and club have done enough over the years to more then repair any tarnished reputation done to the club after heysel tbh, Liverpool have a good bond with juve now and the fans behaviour abroad is impeccable and they are very fondly welcomed anywhere they go, bit like Irish fans I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think Liverpool fans and club have done enough over the years to more then repair any tarnished reputation done to the club after heysel tbh, Liverpool have a good bond with juve now and the fans behaviour abroad is impeccable and they are very fondly welcomed anywhere they go, bit like Irish fans I'd say

Agreed. But imagine how quickly each and every Pool fan would be shut down for mentioning "6 times"?. It's for the best that Juve won that night, imo.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Agreed. But imagine how quickly each and every Pool fan would be shut down for mentioning "6 times"?. It's for the best that Juve won that night, imo.

Oh I agree, don't think the players would have wanted it anyway at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

. Think Liverpool will do something similar to what they did to City in the Champions League last year

Wont get away it .there is var this year.

Advertisement