Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

monkey9 wrote: »
    Man City fans are weird. I turned over knowing they needed a goal to go through and expected a frantic few minutes of passion, but bloody Hell it was like they were 7-0 up against Doncaster Rovers in the League Cup. Just dead. A strange strange club. City fans haven't seemed to adapted to this new club of theirs and what it brings.

?

the atmosphere was great as far as I could hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I wonder if Spurs name is on this trophy now. They were basically out at the group stage with three games gone and somehow got through and now that VAR decision

I don't think they'll have enough to beat Ajax. I'd like to see the winner of that semi winning the CL though.
    Man City fans are weird. I turned over knowing they needed a goal to go through and expected a frantic few minutes of passion, but bloody Hell it was like they were 7-0 up against Doncaster Rovers in the League Cup. Just dead. A strange strange club. City fans haven't seemed to adapted to this new club of theirs and what it brings.

Might want to check your TV. Plenty of noise from their fans on my t.v..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Football!!!

F*cken hell!!

Spurs will beat Ajax imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

3 group runners up in the Semi-Finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So it will be Tottenham v Ajax and Liverpool v Barcelona in the Champions League semi-finals.

According to BBC, isn't there supposed to be a draw ?
    or is this due to country protection ?

Spurs to win it and shout up all the bottlers talk , or Spurs v Liverpool final and none of them win it vy some miricale

You're a bad man!
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Spurs will beat Ajax imo.

They won't. That Ajax team is a proper team. They've won at Real and Juventus.

The draw has been made. Made with the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Draw was a month ago.

Are Liverpool at home first again? Thought the second leg was at Anfield. That changes things for me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Berserker wrote: »
    Are Liverpool at home first again? Thought the second leg was at Anfield. That changes things for me.

Liverpool at home in second leg in semi final I am pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Spurs to win it and shout up all the bottlers talk , or Spurs v Liverpool final and none of them win it vy some miricale

Goes to penalties; locked in sudden death forever.

awec wrote: »
    Liverpool at home in second leg in semi final I am pretty sure.

That's a big plus for them. Probably enough to see them through.

Let's not forget in all the madness, the best team in Europe over the last 2 seasons went through 6-1 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Second leg is at Anfield.

They won't. That Ajax team is a proper team. They've won at Real and Juventus.

Spurs beat City, Dortmund, drew with Barca away.

I think they'll end Ajax's run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Harry Kane will be rushed back now

Jaysis they do great without him to be fair.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Let's not forget in all the madness, the best team in Europe over the last 2 seasons went through 6-1 tonight.

As predicted by certain members of the forum, the same members who were ridiculed for predicting that the tie was a gimme for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Goes to penalties; locked in sudden death forever.

I was going to post that :pac:

Winning a CL would be some way for Spurs to break their bottlers tag though.

Looks like Poch made the best choice staying put at Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pool v Barca could be an absolute cracker. First leg in Barcelona should give a lot of space behind the Barca defence for pool's front 3 to exploit as Barcas defence can certainly be got at when they are so high up the pitch.
    Second leg at Anfield could be a very tight affair.
    I think liverpool will come through 3-2 on aggregate.

Spurs v Ajax will see Ajax come through on away goals, on a 9-9 aggregate score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Barcelona will win it out without breaking a sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

3 league champions knocked out tonight, just one left.
    Barcelona(years since champs 0) vs. Liverpool(29)
    Tottenham(58) vs Ajax (5)
    Anyone's title now but the bookies say
    Barcelona. 11/8.
    Liverpool. 5/2.
    Tottenham. 4/1.
    Ajax. 9/2.
    Cracking odds for a finalist in the second semifinal there.

Might want to check your TV. Plenty of noise from their fans on my t.v..
    lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

the atmosphere was great as far as I could hear

Fair enough so. I always wonder about Man City they way they don't seem to take to Europe and sell out games, and when i turned over for the last few minutes, it was deathly quiet. But i didn't watch the game overall so fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

jacool wrote: »
    3 league champions knocked out tonight, just one left.
    Barcelona(years since champs 0) vs. Liverpool(29)
    Tottenham(58) vs Ajax (5)
    Anyone's title now but the bookies say
    Barcelona. 11/8.
    Liverpool. 5/2.
    Tottenham. 4/1.
    Ajax. 9/2.
    Cracking odds for a finalist in the second semifinal there.

I think Barca are great odds at 11/8. I can't see Liverpool beating them, and I can't see either of the other semi-finalists bothering them in the final. I say that as a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Barca are great odds at 11/8. I can't see Liverpool beating them, and I can't see either of the other semi-finalists bothering them in the final. I say that as a Liverpool fan.

Barca are a good side but not as good as they once were. Didn't see anything in the United games that made me think Liverpool can't beat them over two legs. That tie will be close.

All draws were done after the round of 16 right up to drawing the home side for the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye but a 1 off final gives the underdog a much better chance than a 2 legged Semi, gives me hope as a Spurs fan, IF we can get past an excellent Ajax team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Since winning the CL with that great Barca team in 2011, Pep's record when been eliminated in the competition is a cumulative aggregate score of 18-30. Knocked-out on the away goal rule three of the last four years too, so those numbers are even more insane.

Just realised too that four of Spurs current squad all played for Ajax, with three of them having coming through the youth ranks. That's surely unprecedented?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liamalone wrote: »
    Lmao

Between this year and last year, it could well be true.

Lmao

What they did win 6-1 over the two legs.

What they did win 6-1 over the two legs.

11-1 over the 2 years :)

Barca are a good side but not as good as they once were. Didn't see anything in the United games that made me think Liverpool can't beat them over two legs. That tie will be close.

I think having the second leg at home will give Liverpool the edge. It could be very close though.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »

What's it worth when you don't win it though?

Since winning the CL with that great Barca team in 2011, Pep's record when been eliminated in the competition is a cumulative aggregate score of 18-30. Knocked-out on the away goal rule three of the last four years too, so those numbers are even more insane.

Just realised too that four of Spurs current squad all played for Ajax, with three of them having coming through the youth ranks. That's surely unprecedented?

Yeah since Barca, he's flopped badly in Europe with Bayern Munich and City. With the Champions League being the main priority for City's owners, there's a bit of pressure on Guardiola.

I'm not suggesting he'll be sacked or any nonsense like that and of course he's a brilliant manager, but for all he did at Barcelona in terms of Europe he needs to step up because he's starting to live off achievements almost a decade ago.

Yeah since Barca, he's flopped badly in Europe with Bayern Munich and City. With the Champions League being the main priority for City's owners, there's a bit of pressure on Guardiola.

I'm not suggesting he'll be sacked or any nonsense like that and of course he's a brilliant manager, but for all he did at Barcelona in terms of Europe he needs to step up because he's starting to live off achievements almost a decade ago.

We can safely say that the League Cup and FA Cup will be his lot this season. Interesting to see how his trophy haul compares to previous City managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pep has generally lost against very good teams, but it's that he's lost every time that's the concern and has tarnished his reputation.

I think having the second leg at home will give Liverpool the edge. It could be very close though.

What's it worth when you don't win it though?

Prestige. European Elite. Money. Easier to attract top players Etc

Only 1 team can win it obviously.

Liverpool have done very well to get to last years final and this years semi. The joy they have brought to their fans in all those games is unreal. To think otherwise would be incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Might get lost in here tonight but Liverpool have qualified for their 3rd European semi final in 3.5 seasons. Have never lost a 2 legged European tie under him.

Big change from the Rodgers, Kenny & Hodgdson eras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Barca could well be the first two legged tie lost by Klopp at Liverpool, but his record thus far is absolutely immense.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Might get lost in here tonight but Liverpool have qualified for their 3rd European semi final in 3.5 seasons. Have never lost a 2 legged European tie under him.

Big change from the Rodgers, Kenny & Hodgdson eras.

Much better under Klopp in Europe. He's done a brilliant job with them. The one off games seems to be their problem, a la the final last year and the domestic competitions this season. I think they'll get past Barca but they might struggle in a one off game against Spurs or Ajax in the final.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Barca could well be the first two legged tie lost by Klopp at Liverpool, but his record thus far is absolutely immense.

Well if Barca do win it will be Klopps first 2 legged loss under Liverpool and Barca 1st knock out victory over Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think it gives Barcelona the advantage being at home the first leg.
    They are usually strong at home and can take a lead to Anfield where away goals will be valuable.

Barcelonas achilles heel is their away form and its generally when they are away from home in Europe the first leg that they struggle.

They were very poor at Old Trafford ,if they had played like that at Anfield they would have been walloped .

Being at home first leg will suit them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kinda felt bad for city at the end, but delighted for son, the most likeable player in the game atm. 2 crackers of semis coming uo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I just saw on the BT highlights from an angle VAR didn't have access to, that the ball did hit Llorentes arm. That makes it even funnier.

• Advertisement

They have won absolutely nothing in that time, hardly the best team in Europe. Lmao, deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

has this been the best Champions league ever ? ?

They have won absolutely nothing in that time, hardly the best team in Europe. Lmao, deluded.

Who would you have as the best team over the last 2 years in the champions league so. Omg rofl

Playing in Europe, considering this is the Champios league thread.

Real Madrid are the current champions, does that mean they are the best team in Europe over the 2 seasons?

Playing in Europe, considering this is the Champios league thread.

Real Madrid are the current champions, does that mean they are the best team in Europe over the 2 seasons?

So it's just European football, oh, ooooopssadaisy. I took it as the best team in Europe, league and that included.

Point still stands, they've won nowt, and yes Madrid would rank above them as they have the trophy in the cabinet. Deluded, as always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement