Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liamalone wrote: »
    So it's just European football, oh, ooooopssadaisy. I took it as the best team in Europe, league and that included.

Point still stands, they've won nowt, and yes Madrid would rank above them as they have the trophy in the cabinet. Deluded, as always.

The olde name of the thread was a bit of a giveaway in fairness. Madrid were destroyed in the last round though, you really think they are the best team in Europe. Are you sure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So it's just European football, oh, ooooopssadaisy. I took it as the best team in Europe, league and that included.

Point still stands, they've won nowt, and yes Madrid would rank above them as they have the trophy in the cabinet. Deluded, as always.

Well, you took it wrong.

Don't worry about it, you obviously have a penchant for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    I just saw on the BT highlights from an angle VAR didn't have access to, that the ball did hit Llorentes arm. That makes it even funnier.

Hit his hip after though. The opposite would have been disallowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

kinda felt bad for city at the end, but delighted for son, the most likeable player in the game atm. 2 crackers of semis coming uo

Did I read something that Son will miss the first game against Ajax after a booking tonight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Did I read something that Son will miss the first game against Ajax after a booking tonight?

Bookings start a fresh for the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well, you took it wrong.

Don't worry about it, you obviously have a penchant for it.

Do I? I admitted I took it wrong yet you still snipe. Do all mods follow the same process?

niallo27 wrote: »
    The olde name of the thread was a bit of a giveaway in fairness. Madrid were destroyed in the last round though, you really think they are the best team in Europe. Are you sure?

We all make mistakes amigo. All means nothing without the silverware. Reigning champions over nearlys all day long.

Bookings start a fresh for the semis.

Nope he's out of the first leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

fyfe79 wrote: »

Yep.

Do I? I admitted I took it wrong yet you still snipe. Do all mods follow the same process?

I'm sorry.

I should have said LMAO Deluded :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Nope he's out of the first leg

Thought he would have been fine.
    Given Kane is out they have no one else in goal scoring form at all.

I'm perfectly happy with that! Go Ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Booking are cleared now going forward. Ie if you have one or two yellow cards yep they are gone. Getting a 3rd yellow card in the 2nd legs of the quarter-final will have that player suspended for the 1st leg of the semi final, or their 1sr game next season

Absolutely, any neutral would like to see that Ajax team in a final and even winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pep looked a bundle of nerves on the sideline tonight ,nervous energy transmitting to the City defence.
    He looks a very angry man ,I wouldnt be surprised if he never wins the Champions league again ,seems to have a mental block now .

I'm sorry.

I should have said LMAO Deluded :rolleyes:

But that doesn't really fit into your previous reply, it wouldn't make sense in the context. Nevermind.

Story of the night is Spurs, the Pool were always going to score so that game was unimportant despite Porto's lively start. But what a game the English tie was, the drama!!

It will be interesting to see how this affects City, could be the best thing ever it the worst thing ever for anyone chasing them in the league :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Pep looked a bundle of nerves on the sideline tonight ,nervous energy transmitting to the City defence. He looks a very angry man ,I wouldnt be surprised if he never wins the Champions league again ,seems to have a mental block now .

He needs another sabbatical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you watched the city documentary thing he's fairly unhinged and puts an incredible amount of effort into his methods and management. After few years it would be no surprise to me he burns out.

I just like to see how he would fair at a side that doesn't have Messi or unlimited transfer budgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

lucas moura scored a hat trick at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

FitzShane wrote: »
    Might get lost in here tonight but Liverpool have qualified for their 3rd European semi final in 3.5 seasons. Have never lost a 2 legged European tie under him.

Big change from the Rodgers, Kenny & Hodgdson eras.

The job he's done at Liverpool gets lost imo. I know you'll have a certain crowd who pretend they think that Klopp is a serial loser (every manager is a serial loser) but Klopp is one of the truly great managers of this millenium and i get the impression he's only really getting started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

monkey9 wrote: »
    The job he's done at Liverpool gets lost imo. I know you'll have a certain crowd who pretend they think that Klopp is a serial loser (every manager is a serial loser) but Klopp is one of the truly great managers of this millenium and i get the impression he's only really getting started.

Perhaps not the place for it. But in that case Poch is surely far more impressive given the resources and the sh1te he has to put up with? Yet he gets alot more grief.

lucas moura scored a hat trick at the weekend

True, but only 9 other goals for the whole season I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ajax vs Liverpool final. Who do you want to win? I think you said the other night you are an Ajax fan as well as a Liverpool fan.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Perhaps not the place for it. But in that case Poch is surely far more impressive given the resources and the sh1te he has to put up with? Yet he gets alot more grief.

They have both done impressive jobs at their current clubs.

monkey9 wrote: »

Ive heard this spouted a few times from United supporters mainly. It is pathetic and absolutely non-sensical. He won a Bundesliga in a league that is monopolised financially by Bayern Munich and got Dortmund to a Champions league final with a tanking of Real Madrid in the semi final. Liverpool was always going to be a slow burning project but what he has achieved in such a short space of time has been mightily impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Klopp has turned liverpool from a quivering wreck into a team who fear nobody and are feared by most

Klopp has won stuff though. Poch is brilliant though by the way. What he's doing at Spurs is unreal. The fact that Man U have appointed OGS as manager is brilliant because i was convinced they would appoint Poch (as they should have done) so that's Man U kicking around 5th or 6th for the next couple of years.

I wouldn't argue with you at all in terms of what Poch as done, but Klopp has won league and cup titles in Germany as well as doing the business in Europe with them as well when it wasn't expected.

Klopp has worked wonders at Liverpool and I can only see the improvement continuing for another few years.
    I think he over achieved last year getting to the final and we are so much better this year by comparison to last years first 11.
    This year we have a semi to look foward to and be confident we have a good chance.
    While, at worst, runners up in the league with a record points total or at best, pipping City to the title.

He is the kind of fella any club would love as manager.

Ive heard this spouted a few times from United supporters mainly. It is pathetic and absolutely non-sensical. He won a Bundesliga in a league that is monopolised financially by Bayern Munich and got Dortmund to a Champions league final with a tanking of Real Madrid in the semi final. Liverpool was always going to be a slow burning project but what he has achieved in such a short space of time has been mightily impressive

The serial loser tag is gas. Alex Ferguson is a serial loser if you want to look at football like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Has it been decided if Liverpool and Spurs are home or away first in the semis?

• Advertisement

Liverpool are away first.
    Think spurs are at home but not certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Porto are no good. Have watched them a good bit the last few years in the league. Same when they were at home to Benfica, huffed and puffed but are limited. Benfica bring the ball to the ground and cut them open. Pity the likes of Porto and Lyon get handy groups most years due to their seeding of past success, the likes of Ajax and Benfica perennially face the groups of death. A bit of generalising there, but anyway.

Some game in Manchester.

Ajax and Liverpool are gonna have a field day v Spurs and Barca imo. Ajax to win outright. Every 20 years or so they rise and win it out of the blue. The time has come again. The total footballers!

Klopp has worked wonders at Liverpool and I can only see the improvement continuing for another few years.
    I think he over achieved last year getting to the final and we are so much better this year by comparison to last years first 11.
    This year we have a semi to look foward to and be confident we have a good chance.
    While, at worst, runners up in the league with a record points total or at best, pipping City to the title.

He is the kind of fella any club would love as manager.

Liverpool are better now, very well balanced. Thought they could still turn on that gung ho football of last year if need be, where they literally rip teams apart. They don't seem to be able to turn it on like that anymore, even when they go for it

Porto are no good. Have watched them a good bit the last few years in the league. Same when they were at home to Benfica, huffed and puffed but are limited. Benfica bring the ball to the ground and cut them open. Pity the likes of Porto and Lyon get handy groups most years due to their seeding of past success, the likes of Ajax and Benfica perennially face the groups of death. A bit of generalising there, but anyway.

Some game in Manchester.

Ajax and Liverpool are gonna have a field day v Spurs and Barca imo. Ajax to win outright. Every 20 years or so they rise and win it out of the blue. The time has come again. The total footballers!

In fairness, as well as Ajax are doing, football has changed these last twenty years dramatically. The playing field is no longer even. Thats not to say they arent good enough to win it out, but their emergence has come completely out of the blue and goes against the grain of modern football.Its no fluke they have got this far. Their football has been outstanding and if they kept that side one more season they would easily contend with the big clubs, but it could be a tough ask to ask a team so young to go back to the well again and again. They've defied all logic so far though

The romantic in me wants Ajax to win the champions league, and even the realist in me realises they have as good a chance as any of the four. Hopefully their emergence will inspire other clubs to invest heavily in their academies and show faith in their youth instead of trying to buy success. Perhaps then, football might be a game worth following once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Some game in Manchester.

Thats a big statement, liverpool vs barca the game highlight, suarez and countinho going back to the kop, will resonate with a few pool fans, both have been big players past and and present ilon the run up. Wil they step up?

For me its barca, not because im a united man but Messi is a game changer, esspically over two legs, if it was one match then...No better test for imo the best df in the world right now in VVD, he'll need a strong performance beside him as well.

If Messi is allowed any sort of room on a world wide stage he takes it, i dont know if 1 of the liverpool 3 can. Mane, is the man in form this year instead of Salah, but the 3 interwind so well.
    Messi, dembele, suarez just as scary

Will be a game for sure

Altho spurs did well tonight i want Ajax to win it as their football has just been beautiful at times to watch.

A Barca vs Ajax final with Ajax winning (de ligt with the winner ha, imagine)

Semi-Finals
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V Ajax (NED) - 1st leg April 30th / 2nd leg May 8th
    Barcelona (ESP) V Liverpool (ENG) - 1st leg May 1st / 2nd leg May 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Thats a big statement, liverpool vs barca the game highlight, suarez and countinho going back to the kop, will resonate with a few pool fans, both have been big players past and and present ilon the run up. Wil they step up?

For me its barca, not because im a united man but Messi is a game changer, esspically over two legs, if it was one match then...No better test for imo the best df in the world right now in VVD, he'll need a strong performance beside him as well.

If Messi is allowed any sort of room on a world wide stage he takes it, i dont know if 1 of the liverpool 3 can. Mane, is the man in form this year instead of Salah, but the 3 interwind so well.

Will be a game for sure

Altho spurs did well tonight i want Ajax to win it as their football has just been beautiful at times to watch.

As I said when United got Barca its the same for Liverpool the whole depends on how well Messi plays , If he plays well Barca win if he doesn't Liverpool do ,

Sound's so simply but its true,

Suarez hasn't scored in Europe this season so you just know he will score at the kopp end,

Is it just me or does anyone else think the English teams will deal with Ajax, I think they will handle them far better than Juve or Madrid did ,

I think Spurs will beat them

Is it just me or does anyone else think the English teams will deal with Ajax, I think they will handle them far better than Juve or Madrid did ,

I think Spurs will beat them

I think City would have, Juventus and Madrid had a massive problem getting passed through in midfield. There were a few single passes the other night that found an Ajax play ahead of the midfield in front of the back 4. I don't think a midfield with Fernandinho - de Bruyne - Silva would get bypassed that easily. Matuidi and Can were poor.

Spurs' big problem, now that Sissoko went off injured last night as well, is bodies in midfield. Winks and Dier were already out leaving Skipp as the next in line. Wanyama will be an important player in the games as will Eriksen but you need someone else centrally in the Sissoko role (he might be fit by then of course) to break up play.

I fancy Ajax to have a better chance against Spurs than City, but Spurs would be favourites.

Good to see Alderweireld, Eriksen, Sanchez and Vertonghen back in Amsterdam though!

The Last four

Ajax (NED)
    UEFA ranking: 20
    This season: P16 W9 D6 L1 F32 A14 (including qualifying)
    Top scorer: Dušan Tadić (6, or 9 including qualifying)
    Last semi-final: 1996/97, L1-6 v Juventus
    European Cup semi-final record: W6 L2
    European Cup best: winners x4 (1971, 1972, 1973, 1995)

Why they might win it: They dethroned champions Real Madrid, and then stopped Cristiano Ronaldo in his tracks, so what else is left to fear?

Barcelona (ESP)
    UEFA ranking: 2
    This season: P10 W7 D3 L0 F23 A6
    Top scorer: Lionel Messi (10)
    Last semi-final: 2014/15, W5-3 v Bayern München
    European Cup semi-final record: W7 L8
    European Cup best: winners x5 (1992, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015)

Why they might win it: Messi has never had to wait more than four years between European titles – why start now?

Liverpool (ENG)
    UEFA ranking: 12
    This season: P10 W6 D1 L3 F18 A9
    Top scorer: Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mané, Mohamed Salah (4)
    Last semi-final: 2017/18, W7-6 v Roma
    European Cup semi-final record: W8 L2
    European Cup best: winners x5 (1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005)

Why they might win it: Last season's runners-up have lost none of their attacking edge, but now have added steel at the back.

Tottenham (ENG)
    UEFA ranking: 18
    This season: P10 W5 D2 L3 F17 A14
    Top scorer: Harry Kane (5)
    Last semi-final: 1961/62, L3-4 v Benfica
    European Cup semi-final record: W0 L1
    European Cup best: semi-finals (1962)

Why they might win it: Having eliminated both Dortmund and Manchester City, this looks to be a side primed for knockout football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Barcelona (ESP)
    This season: P10 W7 D3 L0 F23 A6

That's some record, while also steaming ahead in the league. Liverpool only just got out of the group, 3 away defeats at that stage. But they do seem to get up for those big games.

Bring away first is great for us, we are always like to get an away goal, then we know what we need at Anfield. And should have both Gomez and Ox back as options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

At this stage experience has a lot to do with it, Barcelona have that experience in spades. They were excellent at home to United apart from a 5 minute opening. Messi on his day is a player that can change a game from deep or up front. I think Liverpool will struggle to contain them over the course of 2 legs.

With that said, Liverpools front 3 are a different kettle of fish compared to the ineptness that United have. They will seriously challenge Pique, particuallry in behind. The 3 of them are almost telepathic in their linkup play.

I'll go for Barcelona, narrowly over the two legs.

As for the other one, I would genuinely be happy for either getting to the final. However, the romantic in me would prefer Ajax to prevail. Van da Sar has done a seriously good job as director of football and it shows how vital structure within a business really is.

At this stage experience has a lot to do with it, Barcelona have that experience in spades. They were excellent at home to United apart from a 5 minute opening. Messi on his day is a player that can change a game from deep or up front. I think Liverpool will struggle to contain them over the course of 2 legs.

With that said, Liverpools front 3 are a different kettle of fish compared to the ineptness that United have. They will seriously challenge Pique, particuallry in behind. The 3 of them are almost telepathic in their linkup play.

I'll go for Barcelona, narrowly over the two legs.

As for the other one, I would genuinely be happy for either getting to the final. However, the romantic in me would prefer Ajax to prevail. Van da Sar has done a seriously good job as director of football and it shows how vital structure within a business really is.

This Liverpool team got to the final last year that is pretty good experience ,

Most of this Barcelona team have also only been to one final the same as Liverpool ,

Barca have 4 players who have been to the final more than once but I fell two of them players are one Liverpool can get at most in Pique and Busquest

The only reason Barca can beat Liverpool and only reason they are where the are is because of Messi

They are not the Barca of old but he is so good he can win a tie on his own ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

AidoEirE wrote: »

Will be a game for sure

Salah has 23 goals this season , Mane has 22. Both have had great seasons just Mo's is overlooked because of lasts season freakish run.

I agree it'll be a great game, stylistically Barca suit Liverpool as their possession game will give us loads of chances to make our pressing game work and Barca looked very uncomfortable at Old Trafford for most of the game when United harassed them. Also in the first 10 away.

They can be got at and it will probably come down to who defends the best and whether Messi turns on the magic but he hasn't done it so far in 2 games against us, albeit they were when he was just 19 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Spurs are getting shafted by the fixture list

They're playing on the Monday before the 2nd leg on the Wednesday

6 days between the 1st leg and the PL game against Bournemouth on the Monday, but 2 days later it's the Ajax game which will be their biggest in years

I don't know if fixtures can be changed this late, but this thing of the PL not giving teams the best chance possible in the CL will be a joke if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

6 days between the 1st leg and the PL game against Bournemouth on the Monday, but 2 days later it's the Ajax game which will be their biggest in years

I don't know if fixtures can be changed this late, but this thing of the PL not giving teams the best chance possible in the CL will be a joke if it happens

The monday game will be moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The monday game will be moved.

Liverpool are actually in a similar situation, PL Sunday before Leg 2 on Tuesday only 2 days later

I hope both will be moved because it's a farce otherwise

When the tv fixtures were announced they were mark subject to change, we may get more info now that arsenal and Chelsea have also moved onto the semi finals of the Europa league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Liverpool are actually in a similar situation, PL Sunday before Leg 2 on Tuesday only 2 days later

I hope both will be moved because it's a farce otherwise

They will move both games, Spurs will be moved to the Sunday and Liverpool’s to the Saturday.

• Advertisement

This Liverpool team got to the final last year that is pretty good experience ,

Most of this Barcelona team have also only been to one final the same as Liverpool ,

Barca have 4 players who have been to the final more than once but I fell two of them players are one Liverpool can get at most in Pique and Busquest

The only reason Barca can beat Liverpool and only reason they are where the are is because of Messi

They are not the Barca of old but he is so good he can win a tie on his own ,

Messi can be great, even if his team loses, but as often as he's great he's susceptible to poor performances now and again too. When left to do it on his own, as is becoming the Barca system, its as if he becomes disillusioned at times. Head goes down, mazy run after mazy run and into a wall. To beat Liverpool, Barca will have to come up with something better than to just rely on Messi, he'll be closed out. Vary things up, but Barca are one dimensional.

Advertisement