Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Messi moved the ball forward by a few yards. He also did that in the Copa America Centenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And it wasn't a foul anyway

But sure it's done now. Monster of a free kick. Ridiculous that some, who must be watching soccer for the first time in their life, think the keeper should have saved it easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

764dak wrote: »
    Messi moved the ball forward by a few yards. He also did that in the Copa America Centenario.

So what, i seen players roll the ball before , it really is nit picking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Loads of people seem to have missed that the ball clipped Gomez shoulder ,

But your right maybe with the extra man Messi would have went the other side and still scored , but it doesn't change the fact that the wall was set up very poorly,

Loads of people seem to have missed that the ball clipped Gomez shoulder ,

But your right maybe with the extra man Messi would have went the other side and still scored , but it doesn't change the fact that the wall was set up very poorly,

How is that a fact?

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    How is that a fact?

Because the last player in the wall is inline with the inside of the post,
    Walls should be set up with one man outside the line of the post, Its something you learn playing under age in 5 a side ,

Because the last player in the wall is inline with the inside of the post,
    Walls should be set up with one man outside the line of the post, Its something you learn playing under age in 5 a side ,

It was. Matip was in line with the post and Gomez outside it

8-10 wrote: »
    It was. Matip was in line with the post and Gomez outside it

The view on TV is deceiving look at the twitter link I put up a few pages back , its a video from behind the goal you can see Gomez is inside the post ,

You''ll see Milner pointing at the end of the wall while shouting at Alisson obviously asking will he join it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The wall was setup in relation to the the ball as it would travel to the goal. If you look at the wall and then the goal it seems too far inside the goal but you have to look at the route the ball will travel. The ball is even further towards the right post than the wall. The keeper will line the wall up based on where the ball is.

As the tweet by the ex keeper shows, draw a line from the ball directly to the post and it passes through Matip, he was the one in line with the post in relation to the ball, Gomez was beside him and therefore outside of the goal as he should be in a proper wall. Messi has to put swerve on it to go around Gomez and then back to the goal and even still it brushed past his head it was that close. The wall is there to block the ball, it passed by his shoulder so why didn't he block it and do his job?

The wall was fine, the free kick was millimeter perfect. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So much pointless discussion about potential errors in one of the best frees I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At some point in the last few years its like pundits have decided that every single goal has to be somebody's fault. Sometimes its just a great goal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/SBezzerri/status/1123729021555159040/video/1
    Al his 52 FK's

In my opinion it isnt even one of his best, never mind one of the best ever by anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

AdamD wrote: »
    At some point in the last few years its like pundits have decided that every single goal has to be somebody's fault. Sometimes its just a great goal..

"there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Final 2nd Legs
    Playing Tuesday

Liverpool (ENG) V Barcelona (ESP) (Agg 0-3) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2

Playing Wednesday
    Ajax (NED) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) (Agg 1-0) - Live on BT Sport 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

So what, i seen players roll the ball before , it really is nit picking.

That's why they introduced the vanishing spray. Players mustn't move the ball. The ref made an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Semi-Final 2nd Legs
    Playing Tuesday

Liverpool (ENG) V Barcelona (ESP) (Agg 0-3) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2

Playing Wednesday
    Ajax (NED) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) (Agg 1-0) - Live on BT Sport 2

Think we could end up with a Barcelona v Ajax final. Liverpool will beat Barcelona but I don't think they've enough in the tank to get five goals. Hard to see Barcelona not scoring one. Ajax v Spurs is much harder to call. Think both teams will score but Ajax will score get through, just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool will be fielding Mane + two others, no chance of a win on the night never mind the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Who here can't wait for the match tonight? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Got to be honest, Messi may as well have had his hands in his pockets for the last ten minutes of that game for all the use he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,618 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Liverpool will be fielding Mane + two others, no chance of a win on the night never mind the tie.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wow what a comeback.
    Barcelona missed 5 or 6 chances.
    But brilliant from Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Got to be honest, Messi may as well have had his hands in his pockets for the last ten minutes of that game for all the use he was.

His body language in big away games over the last few years has been awful.
    He looked disinterested from the start.

Liverpool played well but Barcelona were awful, yet again blowing a three goal lead.
    I'd expect Valverde to go after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'll post back when Barca walk this whole competition without conceeding one more goal.

Bookmark it.

Just to be the one :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TastyBlissfulBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lost for words after watching that.

Greavsie was right.

Terrific stuff from the Pool. Attitude spot on from the first whistle. Fabinho, Henderson, Origi and Mane were terrific.....actually i couldnt pick a bad player in the bunch. Well done to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What can you say about that.

Incredible.

What a performance.

What a team.

What a club.

We've won nothing yet.......but...... our European credentials are rising again.....the legendary Anfield European experience is at an all time high and back to back European finals -a feat in itself- has been achieved.

All players could be flying fit for the final too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Terrific stuff from the Pool. Attitude spot on from the first whistle. Fabinho, Henderson, Origi and Mane were terrific.....actually i couldnt pick a bad player in the bunch. Well done to them.

Shaq was fairly poor. Caused because of his serious lack of game time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That Klopp interview is gold

• Advertisement

That Klopp interview is gold

:)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :)

Fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

What can you say about that.

Incredible.

What a performance.

What a team.

What a club.

We've won nothing yet.......but...... our European credentials are rising again.....the legendary Anfield European experience is at an all time high and back to back European finals -a feat in itself- has been achieved.

All players could be flying fit for the final too.

European Royalty.

Shaq was fairly poor. Caused because of his serious lack of game time I think.

Yes, still some crisp passing all the same from him. A special mention for Allison who has paid back his 67m tag. Brilliant tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Really enjoyed that! Liverpool are a **** of a team to beat over 2 legs! Smashing Result!!

Barcelona becoming the bottlers of Europe felt sorry for Pique but hard to take pity on the others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Say Spurs win tomorrow, Arsenal & Chelsea go into EL final

Potentially the first ever time both Champions League & Europa League/UEFA Cup will have teams from the same country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Matip was excellent again tonight. Both himself and Van Dyke are very comfortable on the ball and excellent at reading those through passes.

Fabinho was motm. Despite that early yellow card he drove them on all night. That Monaco team had some group of players - Bernardo Silva, Mbappe and Mendy I guess too.

A mention too for James Milner. All great teams seem to have that squad member who can be put in a number of positions and he never lets the side down.

The Barcelona midfield was well beaten. Vidal was doing a shift on his own while Rakitic walked around the pitch.

Incredible achievement without 2 of their 3 forwards.

Will City slip up now on Sunday - you never know.

Matip has been simply outstanding over the past few weeks, better than Virgil in a few games.
    Fabinho, I knew he was a fantastic signing, I was waiting for him to find his feet and buy has he.
    Robertson- playing with Messi's hair like what he did in the first leg to Fabinho and Trent- that corner kick- words fail me sometimes.

Strange things happen at Anfield on European nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mane appeared to be determined to play on every blade of grass, he really was outstanding as he has been this calender year, no goal but literally everything else that Klopp prizes.

Ajax v Spurs tomorrow is much more finely balanced of course but will be interesting in its own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

this has been the greatest Champions league I can remember - when Real and Barca were running away with it I lost interest , the English teams always bring something different to the European style - its been compelling this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

.G. wrote: »
    European Royalty.

UEFA used to throw in cut scenes and had an ad years back with Europe's traditional "big 5"/5 teams that kept the trophy.... Real, Milan, Liverpool, Bayern and Ajax. Never thought it would be Milan who would be the one's struggling in that list. Can never seem to find the ad though, and no one else seems to remember it

Liverpool were brilliant. Hope Ajax get through too. I think their pass and move system will be harder to beat than Barca, which is too slow and predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Liverpool played well but Barcelona were awful, yet again blowing a three goal lead.
    I'd expect Valverde to go after this.

I wonder does holding a big first leg lead pose a particular challenge for some teams, something equivalent to playing with an extra man. Barcelona didn't seem to be able to apply themselves, as if they were waiting for the 90 minutes as they were guaranteed to go through regardless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will that be the end of Valverde at Barca now? Two years in a row bottling the Champions League. They should go for Klopp :D

Poch just be ringing Klopp asking him for a copy of his pre match talk.

Spurs surely get a jolt in confidence after Liverpool's win last night.

Should be a good game. Albeit I'd fancy Liverpool to best either in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

inforfun wrote: »
    The first 15 minutes of the 2nd half barca were there for the taking and i was thinking, even if it stays 1-0, next week we will see a repeat of last years Roma - barca result.
    But then Messi stepped up.
    And a great free kick it was was but we all know by now that Messi is member of a football club. Vidal's tackle on Mane near the end was my moment of the match.

Those 2 extra goals covered up a lot last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Have to say I was very disappointed in Messi. Greatest of all time in my book and not blaming him for last night. But when the chips are down like that, you expect your big players to do something and he was pretty anonymous.

I always preferred him to Ronaldo, who himself is pretty amazing, but in a scenario like that I’d bet on Ronaldo to score.

****ing buzzing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Have to say I was very disappointed in Messi. Greatest of all time in my book and not blaming him for last night. But when the chips are down like that, you expect your big players to do something and he was pretty anonymous.

I always preferred him to Ronaldo, who himself is pretty amazing, but in a scenario like that I’d bet on Ronaldo to score.

Just like Ronaldo scored when Juventus needed a goal to beat Ajax :rolleyes:

It's a bit ridiculous to be criticising Messi. If it was anyone else people would be saying he had a good game and looked dangerous.

Liverpools defense was immense and Barca weren't allowed to play, simple as that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DeanAustin wrote: »

I’m a huge fan of both players.
    Messi for his sheer unmatched talent and Ronaldo for his sheer determination and self belief that he can do it all. It’s what all great footballers have as well but Ronaldo has it in buckets. People call it arrogance etc but without that self belief or arrogance as some people called it he’d just be another Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

thebaz wrote: »
    this has been the greatest Champions league I can remember - when Real and Barca were running away with it I lost interest , the English teams always bring something different to the European style - its been compelling this year.

A very English-centric opinion.

I don't follow an English team, and some of the CL of the past were fantastic too, with or without EPL teams.

I have found this with a few workmates. Once the EPL teams were out, they didn't even watch the rest of CL tournaments, except maybe the final.

Some don't see football existing outside of the EPL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement