Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Just like Ronaldo scored when Juventus needed a goal to beat Ajax :rolleyes:

It's a bit ridiculous to be criticising Messi. If it was anyone else people would be saying he had a good game and looked dangerous.

Liverpools defense was immense and Barca weren't allowed to play, simple as that really.

You may want to check who scored for Juve that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

xtal191 wrote: »
    Will that be the end of Valverde at Barca now? Two years in a row bottling the Champions League. They should go for Klopp :D

Yip, probably going to win double doubles, but getting spanked twice in 2 years in the CL from great starting positions will be the end of him.

Who next for the position I wonder?

Poch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If it was anyone else people would be saying he had a good game and looked dangerous.

Thats rubbish really.

There were a couple of instances in that last period of the game where Messi was totally half assed about going for the ball, where he was dispossessed and just stood there watching the defender move away, where he was given 5 yard passes and barely flicked his foot at the ball before it was taken off him. If it was anybody else I'd be saying the exact same thing, in that last 10/15 minutes he may as well have been sitting on the bench scratching his hole.

In retrospect that attitude was on display earlier in the game as well, taking too long on the ball instead of clinically putting away some of those chances that would have killed the game stone dead.

He is a great player, no doubt about it, but when the pressure was on last night he seemed very disinterested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You may want to check who scored for Juve that night.

I know he scored but he didn't score after De Ligt did and Juventus needed to score again. It's as ridiculous as your comment.

Messi and Ronaldo have normalised scoring every game and if they dont people criticise them for poor performances.

Messi was the only one on that Barca team that looked like scoring or creating a chance, a bit of perspective is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yip, probably going to win double doubles, but getting spanked twice in 2 years in the CL from great starting positions will be the end of him.

Who next for the position I wonder?

Poch?
    He won’t manage Barcelona he is on record saying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I know he scored but he didn't score after De Ligt did and Juventus needed to score again. It's as ridiculous as your comment.

Messi and Ronaldo have normalised scoring every game and if they dont people criticise them for poor performances.

Messi was the only one on that Barca team that looked like scoring or creating a chance, a bit of perspective is needed.

And I said in a game like that I’d expect Ronaldo to score. Not that I expect him to drag his team to win single handedly.

I adore Messi but as another poster said, he looked a bit disinterested last night. And saying Liverpool’s defence was just too good isnt much of a defence. That’s when great players show their greatness.

Again, I’m not bashing Messi and do think he’s the greatest of all time. But I think he could have done more to help Barca last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I posted this in the liverpool thread.
    I did a bet after the 1st leg for Liverpool to win the Champions league. I just realised last night I did the same bet twice. Its only a small bet at 19/1 but happy days :). They were 12/1 to reach final and 19/1 to win it which was a no brianer bet.

They are 2/5 now to win it.

DqtF8mZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bet365 was 18\1 for Liverpool to get past Barca last night before kick off.
    Boyles 20\1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My mate placed €50 @ 50/1 on Friday evening for Liverpool to do the double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The really sweet thing about last night as a Liverpool fan is the team is littered with players who other team fans look down at and think nah wouldn't fancy him or at least did when we bought them , guys like

Robertson
    Henderson,
    Gini,
    Shaq
    Origi
    Even Milner

The manger has done a fantastic job to create a side with so much will to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Quazzie wrote: »

Cash out offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

8-10 wrote: »
    Cash out offer?

I doubt it's much in profit. If at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

8-10 wrote: »
    Cash out offer?

Can't find one on the app yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's actually not great odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looking at the price of tickets for the final, they have a category 1 “restricted view” for £410.

A restricted view in a brand new stadium?

• Advertisement

Could be extra advertising hoarding etc for the final and they mark as restricted rather than reduce capacity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Speaking of capacity, allocation of 16,600 for LFC and presumably the same for the opponent is a disgrace.

Less that half the seats for fans, and 35 odd thousand seats for big nob corporate sponsors no doubt, that don't give a **** about the game.

Same as last season: 16,626 for Liverpool in a 70k seated stadium

I have no idea why they have a general sale to the public months before its known who is in the final. Those should be allocated to fans of the teams in the final also otherwise you're just creating a secondary market.

That's before getting to the corporate nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So where is the weakness in this Ajax team? Full backs and goalkeeper maybe?

They are so confident.

FitzShane wrote: »
    So where is the weakness in this Ajax team? Full backs and goalkeeper maybe?

They are so confident.

A joy to watch. Really does warm the heart to see this in modern day football from one of the true great clubs. No splurging money or trying to buy trophies, just honest effort blended with flair and the abandon of youth. Really hope they come through tonight and its looking very safe at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Love watching this Ajax team play. They play with a freedom and self belief and what's more, its demanded of them. No matter who they play, home or away. It's great to watch. Liverpool will certainly have their hands full. Keeper and their defence can be targeted with liverpools fowards/press.

It is an intriguing final line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Kerr is gas. "Wanayama running like an aul wan" Presenter had to apologize to aul wans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Kerr is gas. "Wanayama running like an aul wan" Presenter had to apologize to aul wans

Enjoyed that :pac:

Speaking of capacity, allocation of 16,600 for LFC and presumably the same for the opponent is a disgrace.

Less that half the seats for fans, and 35 odd thousand seats for big nob corporate sponsors no doubt, that don't give a **** about the game.
    As someone who has been at a few cl finals, the amount of suits being carted around in 7 seaters from the hotels to the stadium is sad.

Yeah fans have always got half the stadium, quarter each.

Uefa family have to get their tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    As someone who has been at a few cl finals, the amount of suits being carted around in 7 seaters from the hotels to the stadium is sad.

Yeah fans have always got half the stadium, quarter each.

Uefa family have to get their tickets

25,500 tickets "are allocated to the local organising committee, UEFA and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters".

Only 4,000 tickets were allocated in the public ballot ,thats the lowest its ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimli2112 wrote:

Only time ever I regret not having Virgin Media Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ah it's pretty good for the CL, got rid of Sky Sports years ago and don't pay extra for it. I'm sure that will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ajax looking very vulnerable to the high ball. Pochettino got his starting team wrong. Llorente has made a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The game is in a state where Pamela could actually do something for once.

Didn't she visit Julian Assange in prison?
    Talk about a dream scenario once upon a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pamela who? Anderton? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wow two mental semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wow what semi finals

Semi-Final 2nd Leg Results
    Liverpool (ENG) 4 V 0 Barcelona (ESP) (Agg 4-3)
    Ajax (NED) 2 V 3 Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) (Agg 3-3) Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) win on away goal

Final
    Saturday 1st June 2019
    Wanda Metropolitano, Madrid 20:00 Kick-Off

Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V Liverpool (ENG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Last night was good. This was a different level of excitement. Wow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Love watching this Ajax Spurs feam play. They play with a freedom and self belief and what's more, its demanded of them. No matter who they play, home or away. It's great to watch. Liverpool will certainly have their hands full. Keeper and their defence can be targeted with liverpools fowards/press.

It is an intriguing final line up.

Spurs it is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Moura and Origi will make some forward for Madrid next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Madness!

• Advertisement

"Don't worry about a thing" appears to have been the Ajax equivalent of "Ossie's off to Wembley"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know why in a 67k stadium 2 finalists get 32k between them?

It's been some CL overall in fairness, the best I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Eod100 wrote: »

John Delaney is the ticket agent for the UEFA football family. Plus all his ex girlfriends and extended family get tickets.

Eod100 wrote:

Is it sad that I didn't expect that much

Eod100 wrote: »

Always been that way.

Poch needs to get their first half performances sorted.

They are grand in the second!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hard not to be happy for Pochettino, but at the same time I feel somewhat angry about feeling robbed of an Ajax Liverpool final. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Lads, that was only fcuking mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You have to say, Spurs while commendable, have rode their luck, BIG-TIME. They really should have been out at the group stages, scraped past City by a lick of paint and had Ajax took more of their chances, the tie would have been buried, before the last second away goals win.

Edit: Going back to the group stage, I don't know if people remember or know but Spurs had 1 point after the first 3 games and got late goals in 2 of the subsequent 3 games. Kane scored a winner against PSV in the last minute, got an undeserved victory against Inter, and Barca played a reserve team in the last group game as they were already group winners, Spurs got a late equaliser there as well. Coupled with Inter botching their last game against PSV, they drew, it meant both Spurs and Inter finished on 8 points and -1 goal difference. Spurs qualified with a better head-to-head record. In a way, Spurs have Barca to thank for making it past the group stages.

Or maybe Spurs name is on the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fitness levels of the english clubs especially the top 3 is far ahead of the rest of europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement