Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Garzorico

MD1990 wrote: »
    Fitness levels of the english clubs especially the top 3 is far ahead of the rest of europe.

Ahem, Top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MD1990 wrote: »
    Fitness levels of the english clubs especially the top 3 is far ahead of the rest of europe.

Suspicious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmmmmm taking a leaf out of the team sky book ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So for at least one of Poch and Klopp they are guaranteed a trophy and probably the biggest one.

Both were criticised for lack of trophies but its undeniable they have improved their clubs on all front.

A fitting final, now come on Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A joy to watch. Really does warm the heart to see this in modern day football from one of the true great clubs. No splurging money or trying to buy trophies, just honest effort blended with flair and the abandon of youth. Really hope they come through tonight and its looking very safe at the moment

They spent €70 million in the last year and a half.
    They are also taking leaves out of the Bayern book. Picking up young players left right and centre from Dutch clubs, whether they need them or not just to make sure they will not go to the competition.

inforfun wrote: »
    They spent €70 million in the last year and a half.
    They are also taking leaves out of the Bayern book. Picking up young players left right and centre from Dutch clubs, whether they need them or not just to make sure they will not go to the competition.

Chicken feed. Arsenal spent that on two incompetent lumps alone (Mustafi and Xhaka). Genuine question. Who did Ajax get for that money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pity:(

pool v ajak would have been more appealing at least for a broader european perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Chicken feed. Arsenal spent that on two incompetent lumps alone (Mustafi and Xhaka). Genuine question. Who did Ajax get for that money?

That guy who fell on his arse with the 2-3 for 9
    Some guy from Standard for 12,5

and this:

d9f58a6f6c7b9ec9e400c43588ef2055.png

Schuurs costed €2 million. Not N/A

Might not sound much compared to PL but they alo only get 10 million instead of 150 for tv money. To put things in perspective.

€70 million is an absolute fortune for eredivisie standards. There are teams in there that have a budget of €7 or 8 million for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know why in a 67k stadium 2 finalists get 32k between them?

The Europa league finalists are only getting 14k between them in a 70k stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wonder if seeing Spurs v Liverpool in the final will shake the Man City fanbase out of it's ambivalent stupor (putting it politely) when it comes to the Champions League. It's the biggest show in the game and as league champions should be embracing it not getting excited by beating Brighton and Watford in domestic cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder does holding a big first leg lead pose a particular challenge for some teams, something equivalent to playing with an extra man. Barcelona didn't seem to be able to apply themselves, as if they were waiting for the 90 minutes as they were guaranteed to go through regardless...

Same thing happened tonight in a different way. I think managers will have to put more thought into how their teams deal with big leads in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is this the only CL final in recent history where neither team has won thier respective league in recent years?

I imagine there's a stat about just haven't come across it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is this the only CL final in recent history where neither team has won thier respective league in recent years?

Pool are potentially 90mins away from being champions and if the last 2 nights of football has shown us anything its to lump on Brighton to get at least a point on Sunday. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Pool are potentially 90mins away from being champions and if the last 2 nights of football has shown us anything its to lump on Brighton to get at least a point on Sunday. :o

Good point!

I'll rephase If Liverpool fail to win the title this weekend; Is this the only CL final in recent history where neither team has won thier respective league in recent years?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

GavRedKing wrote: »

Good point!

I'll rephase If Liverpool fail to win the title this weekend; Is this the only CL final in recent history where neither team has won thier respective league in recent years?

:pac:

Duncan Alexander from Opta tweeted last night that it's the first time in the 21st century that the final will be contested by two sides who have not won the league in the 21st century.

I've not verified that but it sounds right. Liverpool (and Spurs this season) are real oddities in reaching European finals but having been unable to win domestically for decades. There is no other European side in that boat, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd say so, the last team I can think of that have been to the final in recent times that werent successful in their league was Monaco and Liverpool last year and potentially this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just wanted to say the last 2 nights for me, separate the money and greed from football. 2 teams just determined to live a dream of the chance to be crowned European Champions. Caution to the wind, attacking football at its finest.

I'm Liverpool through and through but I celebrated a bit last night when Spurs scored the 3rd, what a comeback. The sheer emotion of Pochettino. Beautiful it was

Drab parking the bus tactics be damned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So the two " bottlers " in the final imagine that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

From a completely footballing perspective, rivalries aside.. we'll do well to ever witness two nights in a row quite like that again.

Absolutely love football

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The final is always a damp squib after usually entertaining Semi/Quarter finals :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Quazzie wrote: »
    My mate placed €50 @ 50/1 on Friday evening for Liverpool to do the double.

Your friend was robbed or telling lies the double was closer to 100/1

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Hopefully Kane is fit and plays --- Spurs are an inferior team with him in the line-up.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Hopefully Kane is fit and plays --- Spurs are an inferior team with him in the line-up.

Yeh absolutely they haven't missed his 20 goals at all this season...

In fact he's been injured for weeks and still managed 17 goals in the league. Albeit I don't know off hand how many penalties.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The problem with Kane is that he tends to be shoehorned into the side before he's fully fit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The problem with Kane is that he tends to be shoehorned into the side before he's fully fit.

Agree. They're mentally so reliant him on that he is rushed back and then picks up the same injury again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've not verified that but it sounds right. Liverpool (and Spurs this season) are real oddities in reaching European finals but having been unable to win domestically for decades. There is no other European side in that boat, really.

in the last 19 years alone, Liverpool have been in 6 European finals - 4 CL finals ( 2005, 2007, 2018, 2019) and 2 EL finals (2001, 2016). On average, they reach a European final every 3 years.

A real oddity indeed. I really wonder do people think before they spout rubbish just because they want to try and put down some club to try get some cheap likes.

Especially considering that compared to their domestic rivals, they have been in double the number -
    Man City - 0 European finals
    - Chelsea 3 finals (2 CL and 1 EL, possibly a 2nd EL)
    - Spurs - 1 CL final
    - Arsenal - 1 CL final and possibly 1 EL final
    - Man Utd 3 finals ( 2 CL and 1 EL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    in the last 19 years alone, Liverpool have been in 6 European finals - 4 CL finals ( 2005, 2007, 2018, 2019) and 2 EL finals (2001, 2016). On average, they reach a European final every 3 years.

A real oddity indeed. I really wonder do people think before they spout rubbish just because they want to try and put down some club to try get some cheap likes.

Especially considering that compared to their domestic rivals, they have been in double the number -
    - Spurs - 1 CL final

I think you missed his point - getting to European finals without winning their league.

Calm down Fitz!

article-2128184-0053DCC300000258-57_634x379.jpg

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think you missed his point - getting to European finals without winning their league.

Have Liverpool lost the league this season already?

Anyways, there has been a good few finals that have had both finalists that didn't win their league that season.

2017–18 Real Madrid & Liverpool
    2015-16 Real Madrid & Atletico
    2011-12 Chelsea & Bayern
    2006–07 Milan & Liverpool
    2004–05 Liverpool & Milan
    2001-02 Real Madrid & Leverkusen

On average it happens every 3 seasons over the last 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

PhuckHugh wrote: »

What a bloody stupid opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FitzShane wrote: »

- Spurs - 1 CL final

I'm a Liverpool fan.

Read the f*cking post before spouting rubbish: Liverpool are pretty much unique in reaching European finals and not doing the business domestically. We (WE) haven't won a title for 29 years (barring Brighton and Liverpool wins at the weekend) but we have been to six European finals, as you say.

Nobody else can boast that type of record which is, by default, an oddity.

Ok so one thing that constantly annoys me, is the Ajax young kid narrative, plus the like of De Jong are NOT from there academy

Ajax average age v Spurs last night is 25.2
    Liverpool average age v Barcelona 25.8

Yes there young but not like there miles younger ,For instance if Salah was fit he'd have been in the squad instead of Studge so Liverpool would have had a younger average

It certainly looks as if Liverpool would thrive in a UEFA Super League ;)

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The final is always a damp squib after usually entertaining Semi/Quarter finals :o

I agree but that will always be the case in two legged affairs
    The first leg is normally drab

In the second if your losing you know exactly what you need to do so teams just go for it, no regrets and all that and if your winning you don't know weather to attack or defend so it cause's chaos

In a final you don't want to go gun ho and blow it so its normally very cagey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'm a Liverpool fan.

Read the f*cking post before spouting rubbish: Liverpool are pretty much unique in reaching European finals and not doing the business domestically. We (WE) haven't won a title for 29 years (barring Brighton and Liverpool wins at the weekend) but we have been to six European finals, as you say.

Nobody else can boast that type of record which is, by default, an oddity.

Nobody is going to beat Notts Forest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Its ridiculous that both teams wont have had a game for 3 weeks before the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Its ridiculous that both teams wont have had a game for  3 weeks before the final.
    why is the epl finishing up so much earlier than the other leagues?

May 12th is about standard for the PL, it's the CL final that's been moved back for some reason. First day of meteorological summer for goodness sake.

Its ridiculous that both teams wont have had a game for 3 weeks before the final.

I feel its an advantage for Spurs, Liverpool currently on a roll and will lose the momentum ,
    Spurs have been running on fumes and now have 3 weeks to recover ,

Id also say 100% someone form one of the teams get injured in training during the 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What a bloody stupid opinion.

Really? Spurs are far more dynamic without him ... They have made a CL final without him - Son and Moura have thrived.

Kane going off changed the tie v City and they haven't looked back since.

• Advertisement

Ya PL has finished on that weekend for as long as I can remember. Also my birthday weekend! :pac:

I think possibly it could be that just the PL finishes before the other leagues as they start earlier / don't have a winter break. i assume countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy probably start later due to high temperatures in August so more difficult to play in.

I would guess that any teams outside the PL wouldn't have a 3 week break before the CL final due to their leagues finishing later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

May 12th is about standard for the PL, it's the CL final that's been moved back for some reason. First day of meteorological summer for goodness sake.

Is it? A quick glance says Spain, Italy and France still have three more game weeks to play, Germany and Portugal two more gameweeks, does seem a bit earlier this year.

Moved back to be the last game of the winter league season

klose wrote: »
    Is it? A quick glance says Spain, Italy and France still have three more game weeks to play, Germany and Portugal two more gameweeks, does seem a bit earlier this year.

I think there has been a move to make sure the FA Cup final has its own weekend to try and rebuild it again, so no more playing it in the middle of the EFL play-offs which they tried one year, or even same weekend of Premier League games.

So with the Bank Holiday weekend on the 25th giving that Saturday to League Two play-off final, 26th to the League one final and 27th for the Championship final.

That left 18th then for the FA Cup Final with the last premier league game the Sunday before which is the 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I feel its an advantage for Spurs, Liverpool currently on a roll and will lose the momentum ,
    Spurs have been running on fumes and now have 3 weeks to recover ,

Id also say 100% someone form one of the teams get injured in training during the 3 weeks

Liverpool play best too when the game comes thick and fast. Any poor performance this season was after an international break or a domestic up weekend. I would be worried how sharp we are, spurs getting a rest will do them wonders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The PL started a week too early and is now finishing a week too early. It was stupid starting it as early as they did with most of the players just coming off the world cup the same way it makes no sense to finish 3 weeks before a european final. Luckily its two english teams in it as it would be a disadvantage if it was an english team playing a team from another country.

I would expect Klopp to arrange a behind closed door friendly against a local lower league side or maybe the U23s and retuned loan players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Kane saying he hopes to be fit for the final.

If he was, do we think Moura could be dropped for him?

That would be a kick in the balls after his heroics last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »

Was gonna ask if Dele Alli is guaranteed to start but he had a good game last night...

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

No chance Moura is dropped even if Kane is fit imo

Advertisement