Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Champions League

1737475767779»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would be a massive risk to play Kane imho.

Say he does make it, how long would he have been out heading into a CL final? His sharpness would be off.

Impact sub maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would expect Klopp to arrange a behind closed door friendly against a local lower league side or maybe the U23s and retuned loan players.

Was saying this last night to one of the lads. I said Rangers would give us a game (again) possibly and he was saying maybe some of the play off teams if they are knocking around still. Are there many other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If Kane is fit, he will play. As there is no way Moura could be dropped after last night and as Deli Alli finally got back some form the one to lose out would be Son. His form has dropped recently and he is suspended for Sunday so no chance to put his name in the hat. Plus he is a great sub to put on when the game opens up.

Anyone know what the story is with Fabinho's eligibility? I think he picked up a yellow in both legs of the Semi. I know all yellows up to the semi were quashed (unless you earned a suspension in the second leg of the quarter final like Son) but I would have thought that one in each Semi would attract some kind of sanction. If there is no sanction it could be the case that Son got suspended for two yeloows but Fabinho got no suspension for three (if he had one quashed after the quarters - I have no idea if he did, I am just using him as an example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If Kane is fit, he will play. As there is no way Moura could be dropped after last night and as Deli Alli finally got back some form the one to lose out would be Son. His form has dropped recently and he is suspended for Sunday so no chance to put his name in the hat. Plus he is a great sub to put on when the game opens up.

Anyone know what the story is with Fabinho's eligibility? I think he picked up a yellow in both legs of the Semi. I know all yellows up to the semi were quashed (unless you earned a suspension in the second leg of the quarter final like Son) but I would have thought that one in each Semi would attract some kind of sanction. If there is no sanction it could be the case that Son got suspended for two yeloows but Fabinho got no suspension for three (if he had one quashed after the quarters - I have no idea if he did, I am just using him as an example).

Only way you miss the final is if you get a straight red in the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You need 3 yellow cards in different games to be suspended in the Champions League so with all cards gone at the end of the Quarter-Finals you can not miss the final for picking up a yellow card in each of the Semi-Final legs.

So Son would have picked up a 3rd yellow card to miss the 1st leg of the Semi-Final

• Advertisement

You need 3 yellow cards in different games to be suspended in the Champions League so with all cards gone at the end of the Quarter-Finals you can not miss the final for picking up a yellow card in each of the Semi-Final legs.

So Son would have picked up a 3rd yellow card to miss the 1st leg of the Semi-Final

You are right, I didn't realise Son had three cards. As the cliché goes, he's not that sort of player. :D

My point still stands though but with different figures. You can get a suspension for three cards but get away with no suspension for four if you time it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Really? Spurs are far more dynamic without him ... They have made a CL final without him - Son and Moura have thrived.

Kane going off changed the tie v City and they haven't looked back since.

Did you watch the city game? Spurs got the goal after Kane went off but City dominated further up the pitch because Spurs lost their focal point and out ball.

We’ve also been dog**** in the last few weeks. Scored 1 goal in 5 games before last night.

He was also instrumental in us getting this far earlier in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Last year's final was between Real Madrid and Liverpool.
    Barcelona and Manchester City won their respective leagues.

Only other team I can see who can better this is Bayer Leverkusen, beaten in the 2002 final. They have never been league champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Did you watch the city game? Spurs got the goal after Kane went off but City dominated further up the pitch because Spurs lost their focal point and out ball.

We’ve also been dog**** in the last few weeks. Scored 1 goal in 5 games before last night.

He was also instrumental in us getting this far earlier in the competition.

The problem with Kane is it normally takes him a few games to get up to speed, a luxury he doesn't have ,

Also who misses out if he starts (which he will ) Son or Moura ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PhuckHugh wrote: »

Kane going off changed the tie v City and they haven't looked back since.

They've been looking squarely up their collective anus' in the league .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd start with Kane on the bench IF he is fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm a Liverpool fan.

Read the f*cking post before spouting rubbish: Liverpool are pretty much unique in reaching European finals and not doing the business domestically. We (WE) haven't won a title for 29 years (barring Brighton and Liverpool wins at the weekend) but we have been to six European finals, as you say.

Nobody else can boast that type of record which is, by default, an oddity.

Yeah it's mad nearly 60 for Spurs, off the top of my head Leverkusen had never won their league when they faced Real in final all the other CL finalists won their respective leagues within a few years of appearing in the final (again Liverpool aside) even Atletico briefly broke the Real Barca stranglehold in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Last night's game was another reason why the away goals rule must be retained. You simply don't get that kind of drama if that goal in the final seconds was merely to take the game to Extra-Time. Ajax players collapsing in despair, Tottenham staff jumping for joy, it was amazing viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Last night's game was another reason why the away goals rule must be retained. You simply don't get that kind of drama if that goal in the final seconds was merely to take the game to Extra-Time. Ajax players collapsing in despair, Tottenham staff jumping for joy, it was amazing viewing.

Seen plenty of Arsenal fans this morning who'd disagree with you on that. Spurs were lucky even.

Having watched both games, I was stunned by the pool game, but for me the game last night surpassed it easily.

It had both teams scoring, equally matched overall, woodwork being hit, crazy goal keeping, everything, right up to the last kick of the game.

But some pool fans I know don't seem to like it when I tell them it was the better of the 2 games.

They are maintaining their game was miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

NIMAN wrote: »
    Having watched both games, I was stunned by the pool game, but for me the game last night surpassed it easily.

It had both teams scoring, equally matched overall, woodwork being hit, crazy goal keeping, everything, right up to the last kick of the game.

But some pool fans I know don't seem to like it when I tell them it was the better of the 2 games.

Spurs game was a better game but pool was a better result, liverpool had to score 4 without conceding and it was against barce remember, far harder to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Does it matter? Both were brilliant and a joy to watch for supporters and neutrals.

Doesn't matter of course, just surprised how animated a few pool fans got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’m surprised you are surprised that they are surprised it’s surprising really how surprising everything is.

Yip, that about sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The winners Spurs or Liverpool won’t get to complete in a Club World Cup as it has now be cancelled till the following season where it will be rebooted into 24 Club tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Seen plenty of Arsenal fans this morning who'd disagree with you on that. Spurs were lucky even.

As an Arsenal fan I’d say Spurs deservedly won the game.
    No lack of effort or passion spared.
    You get out what you put in so good luck to them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FitzShane wrote: »
    in the last 19 years alone, Liverpool have been in 6 European finals - 4 CL finals ( 2005, 2007, 2018, 2019) and 2 EL finals (2001, 2016). On average, they reach a European final every 3 years.

A real oddity indeed. I really wonder do people think before they spout rubbish just because they want to try and put down some club to try get some cheap likes.

Especially considering that compared to their domestic rivals, they have been in double the number -
    Man City - 0 European finals
    - Chelsea 3 finals (2 CL and 1 EL, possibly a 2nd EL)
    - Spurs - 1 CL final
    - Arsenal - 1 CL final and possibly 1 EL final
    - Man Utd 3 finals ( 2 CL and 1 EL)

Aside from the other wrongness loads have corrected you on, you missed another Utd CL final in that too. 08, 09 & 11, as well as the 17 EL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The Europa league finalists are only getting 14k between them in a 70k stadium.

True but that's also on midweek in Azerbaijan so not sure there would be thousands from finalists looking to go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Eod100 wrote: »
    True but that's also on midweek in Azerbaijan so not sure there would be thousands from finalists looking to go..

The worst thing is I don't even know if that's a joke or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You are right, I didn't realise Son had three cards. As the cliché goes, he's not that sort of player. :D

My point still stands though but with different figures. You can get a suspension for three cards but get away with no suspension for four if you time it right.

Yea I suppose technically you could get away with 4 yellows if you play your cards right so to speak but I'm fairly sure they changed the rules recently about yellows in the semis not leading to a suspension and rightfully so imo, you can't be missing possibly the biggest game of your career just because you picked up two poxy yellows, I'm sure people want to see teams having their best players available too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The winners Spurs or Liverpool won’t get to complete in a Club World Cup as it has now be cancelled till the following season where it will be rebooted into 24 Club tournament.

European Super Cup is in Istanbul for the winner

Yea I suppose technically you could get away with 4 yellows if you play your cards right so to speak but I'm fairly sure they changed the rules recently about yellows in the semis not leading to a suspension and rightfully so imo, you can't be missing possibly the biggest game of your career just because you picked up two poxy yellows, I'm sure people want to see teams having their best players available too.

Not wanting to start WW3 but Liverpool had carte Blanche to mess Messi around. From memory, in the first leg, Fabinho body checked him off the ball twice and Milner had a cheap cut at him on the sideline. I didn’t see the first half of the second leg but I read Robertson cuffed him around the head too. It looked like a deliberate tactic to upset Barcs’s best best player and was probably influenced by Ramos’s treatment if Salah in last years final, but wouldn’t they all have been a bit more careful if the treat of missing the final (or second leg) was hanging over them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Not wanting to start WW3 but Liverpool had carte Blanche to mess Messi around. From memory, in the first leg, Fabinho body checked him off the ball twice and Milner had a cheap cut at him on the sideline. I didn’t see the first half of the second leg but I read Robertson cuffed him around the head too. It looked like a deliberate tactic to upset Barcs’s best best player and was probably influenced by Ramos’s treatment if Salah in last years final, but wouldn’t they all have been a bit more careful if the treat of missing the final (or second leg) was hanging over them?

You could say the same for Barca too, how Rakitic wasn't booked in the first leg for ending Keita's season I don't know.

• Advertisement

You could say the same for Barca too, how Rakitic wasn't booked in the first leg for ending Keita's season I don't know.

That’s the danger isn’t. The threat of a suspension hanging over someone will make them think twice and, let’s face it, three yellow cards in a short tournament is already generous. I’m not sure what side of the argument I’m on, is it unfair on the hard men to miss a final because of suspension or is it unfair on the skillful players that the hard men can have a couple of free yellows and possibly use it as a tactic to keep the skillful player out of a final . I bet it will be looked at again when some team goes overboard and kicks someone like Messi or Salah out of the final.

The worst foul of the 2 ties was Sergio Busquets on Fabhino,
    There is a pic of the ref looking straight at it no ball in sight and he never got a yellow ,

Messi ran into Fabhino and tried to punch him, Milner barley touched him and he done 6 rolls and then laughed ,

Why do people pretend Messi does not try and cheat, he is as bad as the rest of the Barca team for it, Robbo ruffled his hair because he kicked out at Robbo after a tackle,

If Ronaldo went on like him you'd never hear the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The rule was changed to ensure the best players weren't missing for the best game in club football due to suspension which I agree with but yeah it probably does give lads carte blanche to get up to risky stuff in the semis.

8-10 wrote: »

Yea but that is Pre-Season, not in the middle of December heading into the busiest part of the English season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

8-10 wrote: »

IMO they should have scrapped this along with the Cup Winners Cup. In the current format, it's like having an annual competition between the Premier League and Championship winners.

• Advertisement

IMO they should have scrapped this along with the Cup Winners Cup. In the current format, it's like having an annual competition between the Premier League and Championship winners.

Money spinner for UEFA will not be scrapped, with big teams playing each other now in pre-season all over one more in Europe is not going to hurt.

Messi ran into Fabhino and tried to punch him, Milner barley touched him and he done 6 rolls and then laughed ,

Why do people pretend Messi does not try and cheat, he is as bad as the rest of the Barca team for it, Robbo ruffled his hair because he kicked out at Robbo after a tackle,

I should have known this would break down on whataboutery so here’s another attempt; imagine if Real Madrid had made the semi finals and Ramos had whatever yellow cards he accumulated after his Ajax suspension rescinded and he now had two juicy free yellows to use in the Semi Final. Do you think he might be tempted to use them on say, Salah and Mane if Real were facing Liverpool. What if Liverpool then won the tie and neither were available for the final?
    Putting it like that I think I am coming down in favour of the old system. Do the crime, do the time.

I should have known this would break down on whataboutery so here’s another attempt; imagine if Real Madrid had made the semi finals and Ramos had whatever yellow cards he accumulated after his Ajax suspension rescinded and he now had two juicy free yellows to use in the Semi Final. Do you think he might be tempted to use them on say, Salah and Mane if Real were facing Liverpool. What if Liverpool then won the tie and neither were available for the final?
    Putting it like that I think I am coming down in favour of the old system. Do the crime, do the time.

With VAR if a player goes out to injury a player they should see red,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

One way of looking at it...

Or

Fabinho took Messi out twice off the ball. Milner took Messi out miles late after the ball had gone and Robertson hit Messi in the head off the ball for absolutely no reason.

However I agree that the yellow cards shouldn't carry.

Messi ran into Fabhino and tried to punch him

Oh, you're one of those.

• Advertisement

Oh, you're one of those.

One of which ?
    Messi clearly tried to hit him or because its Messi do you want us to pretend it didn't happen ?

end of the day it doesn't matter as Liverpool still progressed but my point was Messi is no saint, Footballing Go yes , Saint No :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

One of which ?
    Messi clearly tried to hit him or because its Messi do you want us to pretend it didn't happen ?

end of the day it doesn't matter as Liverpool still progressed but my point was Messi is no saint, Footballing Go yes , Saint No :D

He took the free kick in the first leg about five yards further up the pitch than where the foul took place. Not that that bothers me in the slightest, teams should be looking for any advantage they can get and its the officials job to stop it, just funny the way people go on about Messi like he does absolutely no wrong.

One of which ?

Personally don't care if it's Messi or not. Evidently it's a collision and he has his hands in the air. Slow motion replays as usual make things a lot worse.

But as you said, it's irrelevant so no point going on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A friend of mine (Spurs fan) was looking for 2 tickets for him and his son for final - getting mad quotes - How much will 2 tickets for final cost ?

Will it be impossible to get tickets at the official price (60 - 500 euro) . ?

Yes, impossible I'm afraid.

The CL finals are now for rich folk, or those lucky enough to get one through the uefa lottery, or one of the competing clubs, who both have more season ticket holders than available tickets, so even season ticket holders are going to be disappointed.

Yes, impossible I'm afraid.

The CL finals are now for rich folk, or those lucky enough to get one through the uefa lottery, or one of the competing clubs, who both have more season ticket holders than available tickets, so even season ticket holders are going to be disappointed.

He was talking about 5k per ticket - thats insane - after this week I was going on about how my faith in Champions league was restored , but seams it is still removed from the peoples game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My mate who lives in Spain got two tickets sorted. €1100 for the pair. Madness! but he seemed happy as he said some are going for 3k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Proposal to Restructure Champions League Leaves Out Most of Europe

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html

update on the proposed new look Champions League format.

Proposal to Restructure Champions League Leaves Out Most of Europe

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html

update on the proposed new look Champions League format.

thats the sort of greed thinking that had turned me of the champions league , what was great this year was realtivly smaller clubs such as Spurs and ajax doing well , even Liverpool prospering over City, Real , Barca and PSG - but with final ticket prices at 5 k , and matches sure to be pushed out to pay TV , the new proposals will guarantee that , with the same few clubs guaranteed to win- boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

UEFA manoeuvring to protect their interest and prevent the bigger clubs from forming their own super league which you’d think is the logical next step for the bigger clubs who want infinite money and to consolidate their position.

4 groups of 8 with matches possibly on weekends, the PL should be fine with the TV money but that format would kill a lot of the national leagues.

I always imagined the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Barca, Madrid the big 6 in the PL breaking off and forming their own league, maybe with a couple of select ROW teams (if they could get the players on board) like Guangzhou Evergrande, some South American teams like Flamengo and an MLS team or two.

The money in something like that would be insane, UEFA have over 3 billion coming in every year now, and half a billion (that we’re told of) of that goes to UEFA for various costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement