Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house with only on street parking

Options
  • 30-05-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Just looking for opinions on a house we are looking at. It is on cul de sac with only on-street parking. No driveways as the road is narrow. One mitigating factor is that it is a cul de sac so no through traffic.

Someone mentioned that this kind of setup can lead to arguments? Anybody have experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aj89

I lived on a road with only on street parking, never had any arguments over spaces. The only issue we had were kids scrapping cars while trying to squeeze by on bikes and scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gargargar wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on a house we are looking at. It is on cul de sac with only on-street parking. No driveways as the road is narrow. One mitigating factor is that it is a cul de sac so no through traffic.

Someone mentioned that this kind of setup can lead to arguments? Anybody have experience?
    Does the street have badges for parking?
    Otherwise could be a bit of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

aj89 wrote: »
    I lived on a road with only on street parking, never had any arguments over spaces. The only issue we had were kids scrapping cars while trying to squeeze by on bikes and scooters.

Still remains that the street is public and anyone at all can decide to park outside your house if the space is free and there’s not a thing you the homeowner can do about that .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Be wary of this.
    Check the house / area at weekends and evenings - this is when hopefully all in the area have their cars back and parked up. If it's a more mature area, you may have 'kids' still living with parents who are car owners also.
    Also factor where friends / family may park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd go there multiple times at different times of the day and see how packed it is. if commuters park there or there's one house with 5 cars things can get nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We live in a narrow cul de sac with on street parking. Residents generally park on the kerb to minimise risk of scratches.

It is a very quiet street with no through traffic though so rarely a problem.

We also have a garage at the end of the street, and the guys there keep an eye on things and can always tell you exactly who has parked where. The garage and its cars put people off coming further down the street to park anyway, so it’s almost always just residents here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Most houses are 1 car wide but most people are 2 car households so take account of your personality would you be ok with having to park a new car 1 - 2 streets away

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

I'd go there multiple times at different times of the day and see how packed it is. if commuters park there or there's one house with 5 cars things can get nasty

This. Depends on the area too. We lived in town with on street parking and were constantly vandalised and broken into. Also exoerienced hysteria from neighbours about people parking outside their house (even though it's a public road anyone with car tax is entitled to park on)

Enter with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Most houses are 1 car wide but most people are 2 car households so take account of your personality would you be ok with having to park a new car 1 - 2 streets away

That really depends on the size of the house and the area. 3-bed family homes in the suburbs or the country, definitely. But we live in a street of small 2-bed houses very close to town, so most houses on the street are occupied by young professionals who can walk to work and hence most houses don’t have a car at all.

Additionally, here is only one house on the street that has two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

This and is there a school nearby? We don't get random parkers on our road luckily (we have driveways) however the road around the corner does as it is walking distance to a primary school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I grew up in a quiet estate. We lived in a bungalow with a driveway that could fit 3 cars and there was always space outside the house as well. About 8 years ago, I moved into an apartment and have been renting in various apartments ever since. I will never, ever buy somewhere that doesn't have a driveway....EVER! Every apartment I've lived in has had hassle with parking. That was sometimes due to not enough spaces for the residents, or people parking in the wrong space. It was a massive issue for any friends or family visiting as there was never enough space for visitors.
    On street parking in a quiet cul de sac would be better than on a road with through traffic, but it would still be a big issue for me. The possibility of not always getting parking in the cul de sac, not getting parking outside your house after coming home with the weekly shopping/after a trip to Ikea, the possibility of your car being scratched/damaged as it is not in your own private driveway, not having enough parking for visitors, etc.....it would be just too much sacrifice for me

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I'd avoid anyway, nothing worse than getting home from work and someone else is parked there. There is nothing you can do about it either. I lived in a place like this. Went to the shop one day, was gone 15 mins and when I came back someone had parked outside the house and left their car there for a week while I had to park down the road round a corner. I'd never do it again anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Yeah I need to check it out at different times. The road is somewhat off the beaten track so don't think you would get many passers by parking. However the point about friends and family is worth thinking on. You would only fit one car outside the houses so might be getting into an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

gargargar wrote: »
    Yeah I need to check it out at different times. The road is somewhat off the beaten track so don't think you would get many passers by parking. However the point about friends and family is worth thinking on. You would only fit one car outside the houses so might be getting into an issue.
    As someone else said there are a lot of adult children living back at home. Our neighbours have 2 with them so 4 cars! They put 1 in the drive, 1 outside the house and the other 2 down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I lived in a place like this. Went to the shop one day, was gone 15 mins and when I came back someone had parked outside the house and left their car there for a week while I had to park down the road round a corner. !

I had something like that in a rental. People used to park outside our house and leave it there all weekend. Sometimes longer. Nothing illegal but very annoying. My neighbour would get v annoyed about it and threaten to damage the cars. Don't think he did though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

just remember that this can effect your insurance too. Some co's ask where the car is parked...and add a premium for it being on-street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Around my gaffe the only place you don't park is in the Cul-de-sacs. We've 4 schools and a DART station and people park everywhere, apart from the Cul-de-sac :pac:

You can work out why for yourself! (No actual damage but some 'serve giving out'!)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If you buy this house you will not have a car space. You don't own the street outside. You have no business telling people they can't park there. If you're happy to buy with no guarantee of car parking, go ahead and buy. But remember that on-street parking is a free for all. Anyone can park there. I have as much right to park there as you.

Advertisement