Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Dunno if its feasible or not, but how about an immediate post match 'silly' banter type thread where all the childish/baiting etc stuff can go with the threat of a big ban hammer for those who desire to post this nonsense in the 'official' match thread? Could be opened immediately after the final whistle and let run for a day or two. Don't think this problem can ever be solved fully, just a policy of channeling and containment imo.

How about opening the humour thread to chat then? Most people only use to have a bit if Craic at another teams expense so how about just having it as a trash talk thread of sorts?

It still won't fix the superthread thread pretending to not be trolling but if anyone wants to just laugh at another team or manager go there and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It could be called Draining the Swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Probably not the best idea to seek feedback from the forum itself in the first place as I'm sure many of the problem posters are blaming one another. When you see people spending days bickering with one another until a thread is closed it's pathetic.
    I'd probably limit the number of posts a user can make per week as there is no need to be posting constantly.
    Just don't allow Liverpool or United posters to contribute to one another's threads as they likely just cause both of them to end up being ruined. As a Liverpool fan it's obvious that is the main issue; along with immature crap like Messi vs Ronaldo which affects the Champions League thread. Its amazing how certain threads can be useful to read while others are pure poison.
    Mods should probably look through the posts last weekend ban the morons who were stirring it for a week and give them a warning of a forum ban if they continue. Although I feel spending ones weekend on a forum acting like children is its own self punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I disagree with more of that than I agree with ^

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I disagree with more of that than I agree with ^

What parts?
    Go on could do with a laugh

I would disagree with that statement entirely. There is quite a bit of cross-posting in each others' superthreads which passes, usually, without incident.

I also think you are mistaken here. Time and again Utd fans have stated that they are not looking for retrospective 'punishment', but rather clarification as to a) what the rules are, b) what the results of breaching those rules are and c) why are those breaches not, currently, being treated consistently? The reason it is being dominated by the pool vs utd ange is cos of the arseholery that went on last weekend, the postponement of the feedback thread and the locked post where a mod was thrown under the bus without any discussion or reasoning allowed.

Question: If a mod says something that I find to be goading, do I now have carte blanche to call him whatever I want, with a yellow being the top end of the repercussions?

Answer: No, of course not, you can't call someone a rapist and expect it to be okay. Somebody already received a red for abuse in this thread.

So where's the consistency? Why is "Bemitez" on a par with "You're a child molester"?

Why is one mod publicly hung out to dry for the perceived notion that his team affiliation clouded his judgement, while others are allowed to bend the rules as they see fit and not card fans of their own team as harshly as they should be? How are these two things not the same?
    (Is this even the case? Were the yellows handed out by a Pool mod?)

You're asking the wrong person. Ask one of the admins perhaps?

Anyone carded fully deserved it. Don't think anyone can cry about their cards. Some deserved more without a doubt.

Some didn't get carded at all but probably deserved it. Don't see much faux outrage for these people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ERG89 wrote: »
    What parts?
    Go on could do with a laugh

The notion that United and Liverpool can't cross post is hilarious so that'll cheer you up. Been debunked so many times already.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    You're asking the wrong person. Ask one of the admins perhaps?

Anyone carded fully deserved it. Don't think anyone can cry about their cards. Some deserved more without a doubt.

Some didn't get carded at all but probably deserved it. Don't see much faux outrage for these people?
    The cards were issued by a mod who supports Liverpool.

If the charter was followed correctly getting carded fully would mean reds not yellows.
    This has been mentioned multiple times.

If some didn't get carded at all in the Liverpool thread then that's possible pointing to even more bias being present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm more or less done with the Everton thread - its like a broken record on repeat

pjohnson wrote:
    The notion that United and Liverpool can't cross post is hilarious so that'll cheer you up. Been debunked so many times already.

Oh yeah so many healthy, intelligent conversations about form & quality of the sides. Really last weekend was a proud moment and showed the maturity of the forum. :rolleyes:
    But yeah go on keep blaming mods who support certain teams and acting like it's not the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

M!Ck^ wrote: »

If the charter was followed correctly getting carded fully would mean reds not yellows.

If some didn't get carded at all in the Liverpool thread then that's possible pointing to even more bias being present.
    Your recently changed signature was exactly the sort of low level trolling that riles people up around here. Anyway I've changed it for you. Anything like that again and I will sanction you.

Any questions, please PM me

What about the low level trolls that weren't carded? Can you blame the Liverpool mod for those?

The constant crying about who mods support is embarrassing by grown men.

pjohnson wrote: »

You are right. This thread is testament to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ERG89 wrote: »
    Oh yeah so many healthy, intelligent conversations about form & quality of the sides. Really last weekend was a proud moment and showed the maturity of the forum. :rolleyes:
    But yeah go on keep blaming mods who support certain teams and acting like it's not the problem.

So because of some immature eejits no one can discuss another club at all? TitianGerm is more than capable of talking about United in a mature way. Shame that the majority can't if we need to completely ban the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

pjohnson wrote: »

I do it every day in work. We call each other **** and it's a great buzz. Going on the wind up is all about the game and that's fine, but the thing is.....we're all in it so to speak. We know it's a take piss to be taken in good spirit.

Even the much aligned Mick has been able to partake in such piss taking in the Pool Superthread and it's been taken in good nature I feel in the past.

What I'm trying to saying is...it maybe wouldn't be a bad thing to trial a period where we're allowed to be real with each other. Tell someone to **** off. Say a player's a wanker. Because that's the reality of what happens every day in a pub or in work or wherever.

The thing I think the soccer forum has always struggled with, and what the mods have struggled to deal with, is the sanitised nature of the forum where we're meant to be gentlemanly at all times....but as I said, that's not the reality of life.

You might say it would lead to a free for all but there's protections already in place, mainly the requirements to join the forum in the first place. It comes down ultimately to how much trust boards are willing to put in members and members in each other not to take the game so seriously.

Maybe I'm on my jack in saying it but thought it was worth saying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What I'm trying to saying is...it maybe wouldn't be a bad thing to trial a period where we're allowed to be real with each other. Tell someone to **** off. Say a player's a wanker. Because that's the reality of what happens every day in a pub or in work or wherever.
    Thing is you know the people you are talking to in the office. This is the internet, with people looking to take offence, and others looking to give it, in the knowledge they don't have to "face up" to their "counterparties"

Equally some may accept it as banter from some posters, but pretty much know others are out and out trolling. Posters will take liberties on one side, and people not familiar with the "individuals" and their style of posting may well misinterpret intentions

Yes it would be great if people could engage in genuine banter but it's not going to work around here, particularly when United and Liverpool are involved

What about the low level trolls that weren't carded? Can you blame the Liverpool mod for those?

There is nobody crying. But the tone of you post it sounds like you are getting worked up.

This has direct context to a mod being de-modded who happens to be a Utd fan.
    And plenty are asking the reasons why this has gone unnoticed when the same particular bias mac was accused of has also been evident by a mod who happens to be a Liverpool fan.

Thus not following the charter for abuse.
    And also posting the exact sort of post in a Utd thread after Utd lost a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

How is “Sergio Ramos of Boards” as a sig considered trolling?
    I’m baffled by that tbh.

pjohnson wrote:
    So because of some immature eejits no one can discuss another club at all? TitianGerm is more than capable of talking about United in a mature way. Shame that the majority can't if we need to completely ban the discussion.

There is the Premier League thread isn't there or ones for every single cup competition?
    If I read a teams thread I don't want to trawl through posts by people who don't even support the club or are just trying to get a reaction. Never posted on a superthread of any other teams other than who I support & if I do even look it's just to gauge a reaction; like Emery joining Arsenal out of nowhere.
    Well done on proving my point though as you immediately blamed it on someone who doesn't support the team you support as someone who misbehaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Beasty wrote: »
    Thing is you know the people you are talking to in the office. This is the internet, with people looking to take offence, and others looking to give it, in the knowledge they don't have to "face up" to their "counterparties"

Equally some may accept it as banter from some posters, but pretty much know others are out and out trolling. Posters will take liberties on one side, and people not familiar with the "individuals" and their style of posting may well misinterpret intentions

Yes it would be great if people could engage in genuine banter but it's not going to work around here, particularly when United and Liverpool are involved

Aye i know the difficulty, because as I said, it would take a huge level of trust between members and between members and mods. Just something I thought could be worth a go as I trial.

As not to take to piss, but what would the forum have to lose? I've seen the same complaints pop up in these threads for years and they have never been dealt with in satisfactory manner according to the forum members.

I’m baffled by that tbh.

Maybe just maybe the admins and cmods know low level trolling when they see it...

I’m baffled by that tbh.
    Yes - any questions PM me

The Boards soccer forum always prided itself on how different it was to other football sites and fora. Supposedly above all the mudslinging and name calling that goes hand in hand with that domain.
    It has only succeeded in creating a perpetually offended, drama queen, bitch fest of a forum where people are offended by people they have never met in their lives clicking “thanks” on a post or stating that they don’t like the English football team that they support.

Which is the worst type of forum? Hard to tell tbh.

The Boards soccer forum always prided itself on how different it was to other football sites and fora. Supposedly above all the mudslinging and name calling that goes hand in hand with that domain.
    It has only succeeded in creating a perpetually offended, drama queen, bitch fest of a forum where people are offended by people they have never met in their lives clicking “thanks” on a post or stating that they don’t like the English football team that they support.

Which is the worst type of forum? Hard to tell tbh.

The forum is fine. I never understand why people who whinge about it constantly still stick around. Maybe they are part of the "problem".

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For the sake of accuracy and transparency, unless I've missed any the actual mods who handed out yellows for direct abuse of other posters in the Liverpool thread over the course of Saturday night and Sunday were Gav, T4TF, dfx, MrMac84 and me.

This is an actual fact, despite the narrative some have chosen to believe.

Anyone else whining about them only being given by 'one bias mod' will be thread banned (and will be punished further if they breach said thread ban). Plain and simple.

Ir's already been acknowledged there was a screw up on our part.

Beasty has already said there's a discussion going on on whether to upgrade some of the cards to red. I already upgraded a particularly nasty one two days before this thread was even started.

I think there's been more than enough leeway granted on this line of discussion for the last few days and plenty of responses from both admins, cmods and mods have been given. The conversation has moved on for the most part today from what I've seen.

So let's stick to general feedback on the forum from here out please

I am sorry to be so authoritarian about it but enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't see much faux outrage for these people?
    Maybe just maybe the admins and cmods know low level trolling when they see it...
    Maybe they are part of the "problem".

Passive aggressive **** like this is also part of the problem, I would suggest mods be harsher about letting it pollute threads.

This has direct context to a mod being de-modded who happens to be a Utd fan.
    And plenty are asking the reasons why this has gone unnoticed when the same particular bias mac was accused of has also been evident by a mod who happens to be a Liverpool fan.

Well M!Ck^, what solution do you want then? The sacking of a Liverpool supporting mod to even things up and then everything will be alright for ever more? The baiting in question over Saturday into Sunday ended up with criticism coming from Utd fans as well you know.

The holier than though "low level troll" caller outers are as much a blight in the place as the genuine low level trolls imo.

And some of the poor fnckers they target just don't follow the herd, they aren't even trolling.

Well M!Ck^, what solution do you want then? The sacking of a Liverpool supporting mod to even things up and then everything will be alright for ever more? The baiting in question over Saturday into Sunday ended up with criticism coming from Utd fans as well you know.

See above. I'm not going to comment on this thread any further. It's Friday night after-all. Thanks.

See above. I'm not going to comment on this thread any further. It's Friday night after-all. Thanks.

Fair enough. I hadn't seen Mickeroo's post before I posted myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sure there's more drama here than Eastenders what else would we all be doing without any football on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure there's more drama here than Eastenders what else would we all be doing without any football on :pac:

"Get outta my pub thread!!"

Passive aggressive **** like this is also part of the problem, I would suggest mods be harsher about letting it pollute threads.

Hard to argue against the actual feedback points being made though?

This x 1000.

It's not even exclusively a United v Liverpool thing, both threads have their own problems with it.

Hard to argue against the actual feedback points being made though?

You could say that about any point being made in a passive aggressive manner.

100% Some people spend the vast majority of their time on this forum passing 1 or 2 line remarks on other people’s posts with very little else to add themselves. It’s a discussion forum. That kind of thing kills it.

one question - why is the modding on everton forum so poor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I believe some members also make more than one account on the forum.

I find it sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Remember that farcical decision by whoever to stop posts in super threads and confine the United v Liverpool match earlier this season. Headbanger stuff. Who up above thought that was a good idea?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

thebaz wrote: »

Preach again. Its beyond a joke now lads ffs

• Advertisement

Preach again. Its beyond a joke now lads ffs

yet they are quick to hand out cards to ACTUAL Everton fans for minor infringements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Had a look earlier on and I have to agree with you. I know I popped on a couple months ago and probably was misunderstood i didnt realise just how disliked sam was and i left it at that but whats continuing to go on in that thread is not on.

Edit: what I would say is they are not that many of you genuine Everton fans that post in the thread regular it would be easy for you all to block the offending parties and not see much of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

MD1990 wrote: »

I find it sad.

Seriously? Report it so, that's extremely sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

yet they are quick to hand out cards to ACTUAL Everton fans for minor infringements

Well there will be a red probably handed out to an Everton fan tonight anyways.. can’t believe posters are on the feedback thread, I take it they read the whole thing, and still used the word nonce as a turn of phrase..

Reading through the thread earlier after seeing the feedback, didn't think much of it but refreshed there ten mins ago. The mods really need to do something there, it's derailing an entire thread

MD1990 wrote: »

I find it sad.

Report it. Pretty sure it's not allowed in the SF.

Maybe they aren't reading it? Reported posts (if any will be picked up on I'd imagine.

Report it. Pretty sure it's not allowed in the SF.

It's not allowed on boards full stop

astradave wrote: »
    Well there will be a red probably handed out to an Everton fan tonight anyways.. can’t believe posters are on the feedback thread, I take it they read the whole thing, and still used the word nonce as a turn of phrase..

it wasnt me who used that term - I am just highlighting how our fans forum has been a allowed degeneate into a complete car crash - i thought with a new manager things would improve , but no - business as usual (on boards

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's not allowed on boards full stop

Even more of a reason to report it!

• Advertisement

Remember that farcical decision by whoever to stop posts in super threads and confine the United v Liverpool match earlier this season. Headbanger stuff. Who up above thought that was a good idea?.
    Me

And it was on the back of a lot of disquiet over the move towards match discussion in Superthreads when there were match threads set up to discuss matches. 3-4 years ago it was a strictly enforced rule on the back of prior feedback

However there was an immediate backlash and it never happened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement