Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I take it there will be no changes really done until after the WC, but wondering will we be trialling any during.

But it should be a lot tamer here without any Irish involvement, and teams people have allegiances too, so may not be accurate testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Adamocovic wrote: »
    But it should be a lot tamer here without any Irish involvement, and teams people have allegiances too, so may not be accurate testing.

Excuse me my uncle went to Brazil in the 70’s and sent me back a jersey so I’ve been hooked ever since. That plus the historic Catholic connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Omackeral wrote: »
    Excuse me my uncle went to Brazil in the 70’s and sent me back a jersey so I’ve been hooked ever since. That plus the historic Catholic connection.

Brazil fan? Just keep your Portuguese riddled opinions out of my Argentinian Team Thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can the ignore feature be fixed to include when the poster on it is also quoted!

No point of having the feature if it only half works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Can the ignore feature be fixed to include when the poster on it is also quoted!

Can they do that just for the soccer forum or would it need to be site wide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Iirc, that's a site wide issue that's largely a limitation of the vbulletin platform.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Iirc, that's a site wide issue that's largely a limitation of the vbulletin platform.

I thought it might be alright.

It's a pity as quote function sometimes lets the idea of ignore feature down sadly.

Saying that it is still very helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought it might be alright.

It's a pity as quote function sometimes lets the idea of ignore feature down sadly.

Saying that it is still very helpful.

There are, or used to be at least, a Firefox extension that does just this. Maybe even a chrome one.

5starpool wrote: »
    There are, or used to be at least, a Firefox extension that does just this. Maybe even a chrome one.

definately was a firefox one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Just on the topics of Threadbans, i was thinking we could have something like this split into 2 parts, 1. directly after matches and 2. general wind up, which would cross thru to all versions of said thread, as the bigger threads could get thru 10,000 posts pretty quickly.

for Directly after matches
    1st Offence: 1 week
    2nd offence: 2 weeks
    3rd offence: 1 month
    4th Offence: 6 months
    5th offence: Indefinitely

General Wind up:
    1st Offence: 24 hours
    2nd Offence: 3 days
    3rd Offence: 1 week
    4th Offence: 1 month
    5th offence: 6 months

The reason i would have them different is that the directly after matches would mainly be opposition fans whereas the general wind up would be all fans included really. I thought we could have a little discussion on what others think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm all for thread bans as first steps, but repeat offenders, or co-ordinated groups should just get plain old cards, and face proper full forum bans. Otherwise, you risk people thinking they can get away with it a few times a season.

Personally, I'd have it that if mods feel someone does it once, thread ban, twice and it's cards.

astradave wrote: »
    Just on the topics of Threadbans, i was thinking we could have something like this split into 2 parts, 1. directly after matches and 2. general wind up, which would cross thru to all versions of said thread, as the bigger threads could get thru 10,000 posts pretty quickly.

for Directly after matches
    1st Offence: 1 week
    2nd offence: 2 weeks
    3rd offence: 1 month
    4th Offence: 6 months
    5th offence: Indefinitely

General Wind up:
    1st Offence: 24 hours
    2nd Offence: 3 days
    3rd Offence: 1 week
    4th Offence: 1 month
    5th offence: 6 months

The reason i would have them different is that the directly after matches would mainly be opposition fans whereas the general wind up would be all fans included really. I thought we could have a little discussion on what others think?

Does there need to be two varieties of thread bans? Imo, that's just making it overly complex.

One type of thread ban.

If you get banned from a thread more than once it's onto the cards system.

Keep things simple.

EDIT, same as what Lord TSC said

Just trying to make a little discussion on it tbf, yeah i do agree with ye both now that i think more on it, cards after the first one. i was bored and over thinking it :D

What happens if like earlier in the season when MrMac when went on a carding rampage in the LFC Superthread If Mr Mac had that power back then every Liverpool poster would have been thread banned over the 24 hour period.

If set up right it can work very well.

I know it won't be as heated as it can be during a season maybe it should be trialed over the World Cup and have a feedback thread on it before the season kicks off.

I know it won't be as heated as it can be during a season maybe it should be trialed over the World Cup and have a feedback thread on it before the season kicks off.

I do think it should be trialed, but i also think it should be trialed during the season as there wouldn't be much going on in the super threads during the WC, which is really where most of the threadbans will be. Maybe trial it for August and then have a feedback thread dedicated to it with no other discussion allowed?

astradave wrote: »
    I do think it should be trialed, but i also think it should be trialed during the season as there wouldn't be much going on in the super threads during the WC, which is really where most of the threadbans will be. Maybe trial it for August and then have a feedback thread dedicated to it with no other discussion allowed?

Maybe give it from the start of the season till the International break in September and have the feedback over that break.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There has been the odd thread ban dished out. I think it's something that could be used more though. One of the issues (in my mind anyway) with the current charter is it does not lend itself to a lot of mod discretion. I think though we could slim the charter down and start issuing more thread bans, as well as warning posters they risk losing posting privileges altogether. Currently it's largely down picking up 6 yellows in a season which some of the low level trolls manage to avoid quite easily. If the mods start threatening lengthy or permanent forum bans for consistent poor behaviour in the forum, we may see a general improvement, with perhaps less cries of mod bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The charter in its current format only serves to protect the trolls/dickheads

Slimming it down would be a positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If a post is either reported or just judged to be against forum charter (nobody reports but mod decides if prob deserves a warning) do you see a yellow card against that post automatically? Are there any instances where basically mods could be be warning people and general posters aren’t aware?

Edit: I think I sort of get it. Is it a warning for sort of minor stuff. A yellow for more serious and red similarly worse (or couple of yellows)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Drumpot wrote: »
    If a post is either reported or just judged to be against forum charter (nobody reports but mod decides if prob deserves a warning) do you see a yellow card against that post automatically? Are there any instances where basically mods could be be warning people and general posters aren’t aware?

Edit: I think I sort of get it. Is it a warning for sort of minor stuff. A yellow for more serious and red similarly worse (or couple of yellows)?

There are a few circumstances where mod action is not visible.

An infraction or ban can be applied to a poster without it showing on a specific post. For example,
    User breaks rules but it doesn't apply to one specific post and carding multiple posts would be over the top.
    An infraction could be applied and the post deleted. Here again the general user will not know the action, if any, taken on the post they reported.
    Finally, no infraction may have been issued but a pm may have been issued warning the user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What happens if like earlier in the season when MrMac when went on a carding rampage in the LFC Superthread If Mr Mac had that power back then every Liverpool poster would have been thread banned over the 24 hour period.

If set up right it can work very well.

Was that carding rampage when there was pages of questioning moderator decisions? Which breaches charter and would have been a yellow anyway regardless of mod?

Or is questioning moderator decisions going to be allowed on superthreads now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was that carding rampage when there was pages of questioning moderator decisions? Which breaches charter and would have been a yellow anyway regardless of mod?

Or is questioning moderator decisions going to be allowed on superthreads now?

In fairness this is not untrue but there's an argument not all were warranted and it was a bit heavy handed. It was bedlam for several hours. Only time I've ever complained to a moderator. Think Liverpool had just beaten Porto and there was a lot of giddiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In fairness this is not untrue but there's an argument not all were warranted and it was a bit heavy handed. It was bedlam for several hours. Only time I've ever complained to a moderator. Think Liverpool had just beaten Porto and there was a lot of giddiness.

And they we’re beaten by Madrid and there was a lot of anger. These kind of excuses don’t fly in other threads.

gimli2112 wrote: »

Theres a place to appeal decisions and a superthread is not it. Its there in black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So basically the charter should run something like

If Liverpool lose a game please refrain from engaging in their match thread but if they win and all the posters are happy then all is welcome.

Lads that's an absolute joke. Talk of mrmac all season seemingly clashing with pool fans well I'm sorry if that's what's tolerated and been made excuses of then where does it stop.

Is it ok for other threads to abuse moderators and other posters every time they lose a game or is it indeed biased modding that exceptions are made for the Liverpool thread!!!!!

Isn't it funny that every time mrmac received complaints was after he carded member of the pool thread for breaking charter rules!!!!

I had moved on from this but clearly when people can keep bringing it up and throwing in stupid excuses for their behaviour and no other mod had actually actioned the charter in the Liverpool thread then questions have to be asked what way the thread is been modded.

jayo26 wrote: »
    So basically the charter should run something like

If Liverpool lose a game please refrain from engaging in their match thread but if they win and all the posters are happy then all is welcome.

Lads that's an absolute joke. Talk of mrmac all season seemingly clashing with pool fans well I'm sorry if that's what's tolerated and been made excuses of then where does it stop.

Is it ok for other threads to abuse moderators and other posters every time they lose a game or is it indeed biased modding that exceptions are made for the Liverpool thread!!!!!

Isn't it funny that every time mrmac received complaints was after he carded member of the pool thread for breaking charter rules!!!!

I had moved on from this but clearly when people can keep bringing it up and throwing in stupid excuses for their behaviour and no other mod had actually actioned the charter in the Liverpool thread then questions have to be asked what way the thread is been modded.

It again appears its best to do nothing instead of enforce the charter. Enforcing the charter only causes more problems.

And they we’re beaten by Madrid and there was a lot of anger. These kind of excuses don’t fly in other threads.

I'll start by saying anyone who breaks the charters deserves punishment.

The above comments doesn't help matters imo. Negativity towards another fanbase. How are comments like that supposed to help :(

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I'll start by saying anyone who breaks the charters deserves punishment.

The above comments doesn't help matters imo. Negativity towards another fanbase. How are comments like that supposed to help :(

It's not negativity towards the fan base it's negativity towards the way the thread is moderated.

We have clearly two examples here that a defeat against Madrid and porto amd im sure there was more throuout the season was used as an excuse for abusive behaviour and challenging a moderator but it has been turned into the moderator was biased against Liverpool fans.

I have no problem with Liverpool fans I have problems with abusive Liverpool fans and I have a problem with a moderator been unfairly treated when he tried to action behaviour that went against the charter.

The reason it seems I'm singling out Liverpool fans is because they are the ones that complained about him and abused him after he gave out cards that were clearly warranted going by the charter.

I'd do the same if the United fans were abusing moderators or other posters like that too in fact I wouldn't post in it anymore if it was allowed continue there is no place for it in any civilized forum.

It's not negativity towards the fan base it's negativity towards the way the thread is moderated.

We have clearly two examples here that a defeat against Madrid and porto amd im sure there was more throuout the season was used as an excuse for abusive behaviour and challenging a moderator but it has been turned into the moderator was biased against Liverpool fans.

I have no problem with Liverpool fans I have problems with abusive Liverpool fans and I have a problem with a moderator been unfairly treated when he tried to action behaviour that went against the charter.

The reason it seems I'm singling out Liverpool fans is because they are the ones that complained about him and abused him after he gave out cards that were clearly warranted going by the charter.

I'd do the same if the United fans were abusing moderators or other posters like that too in fact I wouldn't post in it anymore if it was allowed continue there is no place for it in any civilized forum.

Are you saying the thread is moderated differently from the rest of the forum? In what way? Bias towards Liverpool? Or bias against?

Can't believe the incident is being discussed again but anyway:

The people who came in trolling for a rise got it. They were punished, as were the people abusing. Proper order. It was ridiculous behavoiur all around. Beasty has said some cards are being upgraded too. No idea why it's still being brought up.

• Advertisement

So you do have an issue with Liverpool fans?

If MrMac was De-Modded unfairly in your eyes by Admin and if you think it was just down to a single issue Liverpool fans had against him then your issues should be with his colleagues for not supporting him.

To me it looks like there was deeper issues with MrMac's modding and de-modding than just the Liverpool fans.

So you do have an issue with Liverpool fans?

MrMac was De-Modded unfairly by Admin and if you think it was just down to a single issue Liverpool fans had against him then your issues should be with his colleagues for not supporting him.

To me it looks like there was deepers issues with MrMac's modding than just the Liverpool fans.

Yeah, I thought that was made clear in the 1st page. Obviously not :confused:

Are you saying the thread is moderated differently from the rest of the forum? In what way? Bias towards Liverpool? Or bias against?

Can't believe the incident is being discussed again but anyway:

The people who came in trolling for a rise got it. They were punished, as were the people abusing. Proper order. It was ridiculous behavoiur all around. Beasty has said some cards are being upgraded too. No idea why it's still being brought up.

Ifs been brought up because someone brought up MrMac84 giving out yellow cards on a rampage earlier in the season and when it was pointed out they were deserved it was mentioned ah but Liverpool have just been beaten by Porto.

Same as they had just been beaten by Madrid when the thread went Into chaos too.

Is this an exception that it can be used as an excuse they have just lost a game that's what I want to know and do we have to avoid the pool thread if they lose because the thread is going to be chaos.

This thread will be locked tomorrow all I want is for the charter to be enforced as it should be and what has happened after champions league final not to be allowed again in any thread.

The talk of relaxing the charter is ridiculous it's just giving more leway for excuses to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

To me it looks like there was deeper issues with MrMac's modding and de-modding than just the Liverpool fans.

This has already been confirmed by the admins, yet it will get trotted out until the end of time.

Ifs been brought up because someone brought up MrMac84 giving out yellow cards on a rampage earlier in the season and when it was pointed out they were deserved it was mentioned ah but Liverpool have just been beaten by Porto.

Same as they had just been beaten by Madrid when the thread went Into chaos too.

Is this an exception that it can be used as an excuse they have just lost a game that's what I want to know and do we have to avoid the pool thread if they lose because the thread is going to be chaos.

This thread will be locked tomorrow all I want is for the charter to be enforced as it should be and what has happened after champions league final not to be allowed again in any thread.

The talk of relaxing the charter is ridiculous it's just giving more leway for excuses to be made.

The charter wasn't relaxed posters were carded and banned for the abuse of a posters & mod and a mod was de-modded for issues a lot deeper than than just what happened on both those occasions.

That to me looks like the charter works just fine.

Didn't Beasty make it clear on the 1st page though regarding the decision. Also, didn't another mod say 2 or 3 mods dished out cards CL final night.

Some Liverpool and Utd fans are letting their bias get in the way of reasoned feedback imo.

• Advertisement

Nixonbot wrote: »
    This has already been confirmed by the admins, yet it will get trotted out until the end of time.

Thank you! It's in black and white, no idea why it's been ignored.

No bothers end of discussion so all's fine.

Thank you! It's in black and white, no idea why it's been ignored.

It doesn't fit the narrative for some for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Looks to me like these issues only really raise their ugly heads when Liverpool are doing well.
    All this reminds of the a few seasons past when they nearly won the league. Loads of cards, mod warnings, ban and people leaving back then.
    Roll on a few years, nearly win a champions league and we have all the same issues again.
    Now maybe Im crazy and there is no correlation but there's a lot of similarities and the levels of acrimony were through the roof both times.

I think the thread should be wound up soon. No new issues being discussed and we have had some brilliant suggestions and discussions all ready.

The forum would be a great place if people just stopped the petty bickering, snide comments, passive aggression posting manners and just stopped being dicks.
    Can't we all just get along, for most of the the time and just relax when stuff boils over.
    That's what I think but then I'm a naive wishful thinker.

Nixonbot wrote: »

Kinda like how Mac "unfairly" carded them for breaching charter? This incident only came to light again when Agent Coulson started complaining about the Liverpool Superthread being held to the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its noticeable that if you suggest biased moderation in a certain thread there will very quickly be replies decrying the very notion and questioning why malcontents dare keep mentioning the possibility.

Its noticeable that if you suggest biased moderation in a certain thread there will very quickly be replies decrying the very notion and questioning why malcontents dare keep mentioning the possibility.

Hasn't bias been motioned by both sides though?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hasn't bias been motioned by both sides though?
    It has - from what I see, United lose a big match, and all hell can break out. Liverpool lose a big match and something similar happens. On each side we have posters crying "foul" over perceived wrongdoings on the other side, completely ignoring fans on their side (and often the poster doing the reporting) act in a very similar fashion.

When it comes to low level trolling, it appears to me it's only ever the "other" side that engages in it, which to me suggests it's happening on both sides.

Let's also not forget this is not the Liverpool United forum - and yes we see low level trolling (sometimes blatant) in other Superthreads. I've noted it in places like the threads dedicated to Rangers. I've seen complaints about the Arsenal and Everton threads, although in those cases it seems to be fellow fans that wind others up.

I have been in PM contact with one user and I explained that whenever posting never assume it's just being shared among mates who like a bit of banter. Someone is always looking to pull fans of "opposing" clubs up over charter breaches To me the answer is simple to describe - don't give them any ammo - implementation is always the challenge though

Beasty wrote: »
    It has - from what I see, United lose a big match, and all hell can break out. Liverpool lose a big match and something similar happens. On each side we have posters crying "foul" over perceived wrongdoings on the other side, completely ignoring fans on their side (and often the poster doing the reporting) act in a very similar fashion.

When it comes to low level trolling, it appears to me it's only ever the "other" side that engages in it, which to me suggests it's happening on both sides.

Let's also not forget this is not the Liverpool United forum - and yes we see low level trolling (sometimes blatant) in other Superthreads. I've noted it in places like the threads dedicated to Rangers. I've seen complaints about the Arsenal and Everton threads, although in those cases it seems to be fellow fans that wind others up.

I have been in PM contact with one user and I explained that whenever posting never assume it's just being shared among mates who like a bit of banter. Someone is always looking to pull fans of "opposing" clubs up over charter breaches To me the answer is simple to describe - don't give them any ammo - implementation is always the challenge though

On this I do understand it.

However don't we all want Boards to be a bit of a community where we all can have a bit of fun and banter that goes with the highs and lows that football brings us all.

All threads seem to have in jokes etc that help to ease tension at times. Ok that banter can also irritate other posters if it goes on a bit to much.

Finding that balance can be hard at times depending on wins or loses.

I really don't think you/we want to take that away and lose the sense of building a fun online community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

we all need to learn to laugh at ourselves
    Sure if you can't laugh, what do you have?
    A bunch of bitter saps taking pot shots at each other.

Beasty wrote: »
    It has - from what I see, United lose a big match, and all hell can break out.

Sure. The United thread is choc full of personal insults after a defeat, can't move for them.

Before this gets locked, can I ask if it is still a yellow card to call players scumbags or thugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sure. The United thread is choc full of personal insults after a defeat, can't move for them.

Before this gets locked, can I ask if it is still a yellow card to call players scumbags or thugs?
    It is a breach of the charter. Why do you ask? You are well aware that the charter has not been altered yet, ulterior motive perhaps?

It is a breach of the charter. Why do you ask? You are well aware that the charter has not been altered yet, ulterior motive perhaps?

If the charter is being altered will the "questioning moderator decisions" rule be removed given all the trouble it caused this year?

Or is there gunna be a limit on the amount of yellows a thread can get in a 24hr period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bring back Greebo to clean up the soccer forum like he cleaned up the golf forum years ago

ulterior motive perhaps?

This is the response I get for asking a question in a feedback thread? Seriously?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement