Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Find it strange that those who willing engage in trolling and calling other users name are in here complaining about it going unpunished when they have gone unpunished for their actions in the past.

Anyways i say we should sticky any big comp thread so it is at the top.

Like coming up the World Cup Super thread should be a sticky, then maybe have that replaced with a European Nations League thread for qualification for Euro 2020. Also maybe include the Champions League and Europa League threads, I am just lazy and just want an easy option to find these threads to update them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Agree with buckety here i dont want retrospective action I would like a clear explanation as to who or why that abuse was deemed to warrant just a yellow card when in fact going by charter it was one of the worst breaches of rules possible and was given just a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Necrominus wrote: »
    Lol, I ain't going shilling on the SF feedback thread :pac:

I actually think it's a top class idea. It's one you could use all across the divisive forums such as here and Politics for example, removes the crying of mod bias for decisions.

One (small?) problem with that is that PM contesting a mod action would go to the generic 'Football Moderator' account, which might be a bit of a mess/pain when sorting out which moderator was responsible for which action.

Facebook has a facility where account holders who also run a page or group can choose to 'post as' their persona account, or as page/group admin. No need to log out and back in again. Maybe it's possible to work that into the system here, but possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My take on it would be Mrmac just wasn't suitable to be a mod on the soccer forum. I say this as someone that has a good level of contact with him on another boards forum and he comes across as a sound fella. As a mod I think you need to hold back a bit on the wind up as opposed to a regular poster and this is the issue. I've no problem with what mrmac said but because he is a mod I can see why some people got worked up over it however the abuse he got was way out of order. People get very worked up about mick I just admire how he manages to thank every single anti Liverpool post in the SF its some commitment.. Shock horror he is a utd fan that hates Liverpool. Just don't take the majority of stuff he says in relation to Liverpool in anyway serious. I'm sure there are the same things happening with a Liverpool fan showing serious commitment to his dislike of utd. I think both sides of the Liverpool/utd divide need to take the actions of the other side a little less serious there is an ongoing war taking place in some peoples heads on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

So from reading the thread so far, we are not to ask about the absolute sh*tshow that was Saturday night. We are not to ask why certain posters very obviously don't have to abide by the charter. And we are not to give any feedback that calls into question any mod or admin actions. Head in the sand stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nobody asked how many bans were handed out, I asked a very straightforward question in post 5 of this thread.

Multiple clear and obvious examples of personal abuse were posted in a thread. Eventually a mod came along and handed out yellow cards for these posts, when the charter is very specific that such abuse is a red card offence.

I don't want anybody to action those posts again, I simply want to know why the mods decided that calling other users cunts, scumbags and peados were only yellow card offences?

I want to know this because there are some very obvious implications of such a decision.

99!

Rugby reference but so many went over the line they could not all be red carded?

Find it strange that those who willing engage in trolling and calling other users name are in here complaining about it going unpunished when they have gone unpunished for their actions in the past.

Like coming up the World Cup Super thread should be a sticky, then maybe have that replaced with a European Nations League thread for qualification for Euro 2020. Also maybe include the Champions League and Europa League threads, I am just lazy and just want an easy option to find these threads to update them :)

I would be confident enough to safely say as a regular poster in the soccer forums i have never ever seen a United thread poster call another user a scumbag or peado or cun*t not even close to it and if I did miss something it was definitely not as widespread as Saturday night noway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

osarusan wrote: »
    One (small?) problem with that is that PM contesting a mod action would go to the generic 'Football Moderator' account, which might be a bit of a mess/pain when sorting out which moderator was responsible for which action.

Facebook has a facility where account holders who also run a page or group can choose to 'post as' their persona account, or as page/group admin. No need to log out and back in again. Maybe it's possible to work that into the system here, but possibly not.

I think if all moderators are on the same level, well it wouldn’t matter which Mod dealt with as appeal as such, other than that the mods can discuss in their forums an appeal of a sanction. It’s a bit more work and time consuming but after the initial implementation I’m sure it would work well. I’m sure the majority of posters would like to help the mods as this would create a better forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lol, I ain't going shilling on the SF feedback thread :pac:

I actually think it's a top class idea. It's one you could use all across the divisive forums such as here and Politics for example, removes the crying of mod bias for decisions.

I honestly think people should just get the idea out of their heads that certain mods "represent" teams. It should absolutely not be the case.

• Advertisement

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I honestly think people should just get the idea out of their heads that certain mods "represent" teams. It should absolutely not be the case.

I think it’s more that the poster cannot cry mod bias, even if there is no bias shown. Some posters just refuse to acknowledge that a mod from a rival team can be impartial, that’s where this idea would come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes but throughout the year there was constant whinging over "bias" this would remove that completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nixonbot wrote:

I 100 per cent agree. Yet, as the first few pages of this thread show, it's always gonna be a thing.
    You have one lad attacking a former mod for a decision that happened at least a year ago, never mind Saturday night.

You could get it out of your head but then why was it that there was a mod note posted in the United thread Sunday morning but nothing was actioned in the Liverpool thread after MrMac84 stepped away until Sunday evening when I brought the matter up with one of the more senior moderators.

Then within 10 minuted there was yellow cards issued which were clearly not sufficient for what rules were broken.

Did the mods have time to read through the entire topic of discussion in the United thread but not enough time to action flagged posts of a yellow mod been called a cun*t and scumbag and peado and wanker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

astradave wrote: »
    I think it’s more that the poster cannot cry mod bias, even if there is no bias shown. Some posters just refuse to acknowledge that a mod from a rival team can be impartial, that’s where this idea would come from.

And to me that's what needs to be solved - this ridiculous, almost comical divide between two rival fanbases on the forum. Stuff like the shared mod account are good ideas, but ultimately only tools to mitigate confrontation - I want to look at the problem itself.

And to me that's what needs to be solved - this ridiculous, almost comical divide between two rival fanbases on the forum. Stuff like the shared mod account are good ideas, but ultimately only tools to mitigate confrontation - I want to look at the problem itself.

Well that problem has been mentioned many times already. The inconsistency on the forum and the fact that same offences carry different punishments. The other problem is people choose to see the rival mod as biased and then refuse to accept any discipline.

• Advertisement

Nobody asked how many bans were handed out, I asked a very straightforward question in post 5 of this thread.

Multiple clear and obvious examples of personal abuse were posted in a thread. Eventually a mod came along and handed out yellow cards for these posts, when the charter is very specific that such abuse is a red card offence.

I don't want anybody to action those posts again, I simply want to know why the mods decided that calling other users cunts, scumbags and peados were only yellow card offences?

I want to know this because there are some very obvious implications of such a decision.

There is post(s) in the UTD thread calling Liverpool fans cnuts that has gone unpunished from the weekend so it is swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM_7 wrote: »
    99!

Rugby reference but so many went over the line they could not all be red carded?

It would be an answer at least.

That’s great and I agree that’s one thing that should happen, but come around next year, or the year after, we will be discussing the same problem. When a forum is made up of rivalries, these things will always reAr their head. It’s not just United/Liverpool either, a lot of the Spurs posters call Gav biased as he is a Chelsea fan, and I’m sure there is instances where they have looked at you and thought the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is post(s) in the UTD thread calling Liverpool fans cnuts that has gone unpunished from the weekend so it is swings and roundabouts

Then report it. I don't see any relevance to the simple question I asked.

astradave wrote: »
    That’s great and I agree that’s one thing that should happen, but come around next year, or the year after, we will be discussing the same problem. When a forum is made up of rivalries, these things will always reAr their head. It’s not just United/Liverpool either, a lot of the Spurs posters call Gav biased as he is a Chelsea fan, and I’m sure there is instances where they have looked at you and thought the same.

Its partly human nature in a way to see an inherent bias in a decision you disagree with. I remember hearing that in a psychology lecture. But I doubt Nixon is really going this deep into the human psychology :pac:

• Advertisement

He clearly stated he's not looking for them to be actioned retrospectively, just an explanation as to why the punishment didn't fit the crime. You can even extend that to the posts in the Utd thread, if you wish, and ask why have the not been 'punished'.

Can anyone now call someone a paedo or whatever from now on, safe in the knowledge that a yellow is the max that would be handed down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I 100 per cent agree. Yet, as the first few pages of this thread show, it's always gonna be a thing.
    You have one lad attacking a former mod for a decision that happened at least a year ago, never mind Saturday night.
    Do you seriously think that was an attack lol

It was just a criticism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I know when I am in other forums as a user, I'd rather talk to/deal with a face or name, not a faceless "moderator" account.

It could also be worked out/speculated who is who by writing style as well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The context here is a perception of a mod having done it before, and choosing to dig the knife in at a time where he knew emotions would be at their rawest. I commend mods and Admins for applying context correctly, I think it's absolutely how the job should be done.

Coming in here and dominating a season long feedback thread on the general direction of the forum in the hope of getting a few red cards so that 'an eye for an eye' is achieved seems a waste of the facility to me.

Why was the charter not followed?whats the point if the mods aren't going to use it.

Most of the yellows were given out well after the game ,so it wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Makea no odds now regarding yellows/reds/bans but at least let someone explain why those decisions were made.
    It's ok to call someone a sex pest as long as it's done while in a raw or emotional state.

If the questions getting asked are going to be ignored then that is an even bigger waste of a feedback facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is probably a site issue more than a soccer one.

The ignore feature.

I know I find it great.

Here is the issue I find with it and how it affect others

I post and then those I have on ignore reply I don't respond and it causes other posters to get pissed off with what they see as posters taking the thread down.

We are not allowed to tell another poster we have them on ignore however by putting them on ignore also seems to lead to issues like above as well.

Again also more a site issue what's the point of an ignore feature if the poster you have on ignore posts are all visible in quotes posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So bascially let all the "banter" between fans happen in the match thread. And then there's the option for fans of that club to talk about the game in the super threads. That way everyone's happy.

Then bascially no bull**** allowed in rivals threads during or after the game then?
    That's how it used to work, and it was better than this year.
    Why was it changed?

By popular demand, matchthread discussion was allowed in superthreads formally in the charter. It was the main topic of last year's feedback thread from memory.

A lot less matchthreads, so people go to the Superthread...where they may not be as welcome to post controversial but valid points (which would not bat an eyelid of controversy in a matchthread) such as a late penalty or offside winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Thanks for the fish yellow carded me in the Liverpool thread a few months ago for spelling Benitiz with an m Bemitiz, purely a typo and tried to justify it in some crazy way through PM. What I'd like to know is how can any mod justify the abuse directed at MrMac in any way ? Every single one of those were red card offences going by the charter.

All these comments need to be revisited. All were personal way over the top comments and should be treated as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Im happy to see him gone , i have had a few dealings with him and well i wont lie my last yellow was from him and it was a bit of a sad yellow to dish out.

I kinda lost interest in posting on this site for ages over it tbh. I dont mind a mod doing there job when the mark is over stepped card and move on but i honestly felt like i was carded for very little. Even pmed one of the posters that was backing me up and he said it was a harsh card to give out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I find this funny.

I’m a united Fan but like to get news on other clubs via their superthread.

I know your username as in the past I watched you post more about The downfall of United on the Liverpool thread then you did about Liverpool.

While it seemed you had no interest in your own club. You were and are trying to get a reaction from your own supporters to stir the pot.

Most of your post ARE an example of trolling. You just do it is the safety of your own thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I find this funny.

I know your username as in the past I watched you post more about The downfall of United on the Liverpool thread then you did about Liverpool.

While it seemed you had no interest in your own club. You were and are trying to get a reaction from your own supporters to stir the pot.

Most of your post ARE an example of trolling. You just do it is the safety of your own thread

I wouldn’t be too sure that posting about ‘the downfall of United’ on a LIVERPOOL thread would be regarded as offensive or provocative (the definition of trolling) tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wonder would there be a situation where mods who are supporters of one team prefer not to actions posts by posters who are also supporters of that team?

Not necessarily that they disagree with the mod action, but they'd prefer somebody else do it, and leave it to them. Ideas about bias could stem from that too, if it was the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wonder would there be a situation where mods who are supporters of one team prefer not to actions posts by posters who are also supporters of that team?

Not necessarily that they disagree with the mod action, but they'd prefer somebody else do it, and leave it to them. Ideas about bias could stem from that too, if it was the situation.

I feel this is the case that an argument can break out between a set of fans one set can go to town while the others react and get carded for it.

I find this funny.

Most of my posts have been during games or updating results in the Champions League/Europa League threads along with Qualification for Euros and World Cups but there maybe a few gleeful post once in a while but everyone does that but I don't go into the Utd thread to go about this so called downfall of Utd that you're talking about

I think the opposit should be done.

A mod should mod a forum that he is an active member of and if he ain't doing it properly then a senior mod step in it would cut out so many issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Beasty wrote: »

It's all a big shame in many ways, as I think the forum is much stronger when we see proper interaction between fans of different clubs in Superthreads and indeed match threads. I don't like the idea of posters thing their Superthread belongs to them, and "guests" from particular clubs are not welcome

what none of the mods seem to realise is , the utd thread,the liverpool thread,chelsea,arsenal etc etc,they are seen as home ground in the mindset of posters,some more fervently than others, someone from a opposing fanbase going in there to laugh at them after a loss or stupid result actually feels like .. you know the scene in the 51st state

to others they will just ignore the nonsense,others will flame it, from all sides.

football fans rarely mix together when its about the football,but in here its almost forced, it will never work and you know why? fans will never change.

radical idea. only pool fans can post in the pool thread,same with utd,chelsea ,arsenal etc. you get limited access to the soccer forum but full access to your own thread and its match threads,all club forums closed to non fans of the team, anyone can view but only subscribed fans get to post in relevant threads. new users get asked on joining which team thread they want full access to,current users declare in a moderated thread and accounts acted on.

doing the same stuff wont change anything.

let a utd fan mod the utd thread,and a pool the pool thread,etc etc, if mod aint doing his/her job,replace.

just a idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've been saying for years that less rules and more trust in mod interpretation of this smaller amount of rules is what was needed.

On the big discussion point in here my 2c are:
    1. The former mod in question should have been aware of how his post would have been perceived.
    2. The comments given his way, and Micks's were way out of line and deserved harsher sanction in some cases.
    3. The reason this former mod should have been aware of how his post would have been taken were some of his previous interjections into the Liverpool thread, some of whch resulted in some bizarre cards (including one to me that he refused to rescind but was removed quickly by others who saw how bizarre it was) and some terrible modding style in there.
    4. Lots of knickers have lots of twists in them. Calmer heads should prevail and not think that 'that other lot' are better/worse than your own lot, when in reality it is 2 sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

from Deleted User
    I don't in generally know who a Mod supports, but maybe not appoint Mods from busy thread clubs, or even not of soccer fans at all. You don't need to follow soccer to moderate
    In practice, you do. No sane person is going to want to mod a forum like Soccer unless they have interest in it.

I think Nixon is right. Example, I’d have zero affiliation to any EPL team but I love watching it. I couldn’t give a toss who wins any given match in the Premiership but love watching the football that’s on offer. Certainly wouldn’t have any loyalty to Liverpool or United not would I have any hatred of either of them.

I’m a Bohs fan so if I was a moderator I’d actively avoid any League of Ireland threads as there would be a conflict of interest there.

Just on matchthreads, I’d consider the postings to be on par with comments made as if one were at the match. Very natural and quickly typed out comments to mirror barbs tossed out as if you were there in the ground. So I think if emotions run high at a fella being sent off (for example) it could be deemed less worthy of a card than if it were to happen in a super thread or post game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why was the charter not followed?whats the point if the mods aren't going to use it.

Most of the yellows were given out well after the game ,so it wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Makea no odds now regarding yellows/reds/bans but at least let someone explain why those decisions were made.
    It's ok to call someone a sex pest as long as it's done while in a raw or emotional state.

If the questions getting asked are going to be ignored then that is an even bigger waste of a feedback facility.
    It has been answered.

They were yellow cards because:

1. It was a mod that was seen to be trolling them.
    2. They were emotional over the CL final.

That is justification for not banning people for calling someone who thanked a post a Peado and a Nonce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

It has been answered.

That is justification for not banning people for calling someone who thanked a post a Peado and a Nonce.

It's laughable but thats the most logical suggestion that's been put forward so far

• Advertisement

what none of the mods seem to realise is , the utd thread,the liverpool thread,chelsea,arsenal etc etc,they are seen as home ground in the mindset of posters,some more fervently than others, someone from a opposing fanbase going in there to laugh at them after a loss or stupid result actually feels like .. you know the scene in the 51st state
    a.

I don't agree with this I think fans mixing is a great thing the rules just need to be enforced it's that simple.

There are a few pool posters that constantly post in the United thread and are always welcomed titiangetm is one of them he never gets abused or laughed out of it. Nialo comes in and he gets a bit of banter thrown at him but he is never abused or called names but he engages on the banter and gives as good as he gets but it's nearly always good natured.

The boundary is the abuse that's not acceptable and it shouldn't be tolerated if it's in the charges it should be auctioned and that's it no it's or butts.

If fans weren't allowed go from one forum to another I wouldn't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It has been answered.

Can a mod, Cmod or admin just clear this up please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

why doesn't someone answer the question as to why outright abuse, like calling someone a paedo, wasn't a red card offence.

There is no "context" to that, calling someone a paedo is fairly reprehensible behaviour.

I think the new way is that if you respond to someone as a reaction its a yellow instead of a red card. Is that right ? Thats how it comes across anyway. Niallo is in for it next time he posts some shi!te :D

dfx- wrote: »
    I know when I am in other forums as a user, I'd rather talk to/deal with a face or name, not a faceless "moderator" account.

It could also be worked out/speculated who is who by writing style as well.....

Good point, I know I would much rather know who I’m talking to so that I can do this..

1V1mX.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

jayo26 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this I think fans mixing is a great thing the rules just need to be enforced it's that simple.

There are a few pool posters that constantly post in the United thread and are always welcomed titiangetm is one of them he never gets abused or laughed out of it. Nialo comes in and he gets a bit of banter thrown at him but he is never abused or called names but he engages on the banter and gives as good as he gets but it's nearly always good natured.

The boundary is the abuse that's not acceptable and it shouldn't be tolerated if it's in the charges it should be auctioned and that's it no it's or butts.

If fans weren't allowed go from one forum to another I wouldn't post.

I support this and the post which jayo replied to originally. So maybe a change of rules on rival fans posting in another superthread is the best step.

I mean that's what is pissing so many off right? Rival fans coming in stiring **** in the other forum. If there was a system in place to stop the bull**** or at least lower it to a level it can be better dealt with that be great for everyone on this forum.

None of us have issue mixing with fans who are genuine. I'm not gonna say I'm an angel on here or anything but I'd love to be able come on here and not see constant fighting and bull**** going on between sets of fans.

Can a mod, Cmod or admin just clear this up please?

This is what Lloyd said:
    I'd take a very different view to Lord TSC. In any case where a moderator engages in baiting things will spiral out of control very quickly. In that context it's very difficult for a moderator team to come in and blanket apply the charter to the letter of the law when the incident has its gestation in a violation of the rules by someone who is supposed to uphold those rules. In that sense I don't think there were any other options available really, than how it was handled.

Because it was a mod that was considered to be trolling (I would agree calling Klopp a serial loser is trolling), the responses to that comment have been seen to be only worthy of a yellow card.

The context of the match and emotion etc was further mentioned too.

MrMac starting it makes everything that came after it similar to calling someone a snowflake or hitting m instead of N in Bemitiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Issue Relating to Moderation

There should be justifiable questions asked about separating the moderator and the poster.

I'm on boards longer than most, from its original quake mailing list. And moderation has always been clear, but in years gone by its started to get murky as the site has become more widespread and popular, to I'd argue people not experienced in a forum based platforms.

Mods are inherently modded for their generally positive reputation and contribution to the forum. And in a forum like soccer, similar to many others, there is no "unbiased" moderators.

But there was always a clear separation on someone being a mod and someone being a poster. Moderators are in place to uphold the charter. They are not here to direct discussion, topics or conversation and they have never been held to a higher posting standard then others. They are part of a forums community, and to expect them to operate at the highest of standards is hypocritical.

Mac of course could have avoided engaging at all, but I read what he posted. That posters lost their absolute **** over it is really no excuse and reflects poorly on them. It's hardly a shock horror to expect a little jab from rivals in adversity, as has happened for as long as I've been here. And as pointed out previously, I've also seen the posts from prominent liverpool supports into the superthread, or from moderators, but never felt the need to cry fowl of it, or to report it. I understand how that separation works. There was a time where C-Mods would have told everyone to get a grip and explained this. I think the demodding of Mac has set a somewhat dangerous precedent. You can assume now some people will be on the constant watch of the moderators to see how they are posting.

We promote posters to moderators from the community because they will have context and understanding of the subject matter at hand. If we wanted un biased moderators, we wouldn't be promoting people from the soccer community in this forum itself.

Positive move in Superthreads
    One thing I'd note (as someone who tends to not venture into feedback threads much) I really liked the change made at some point to allow fans of the superthread in question, to have conversations about an ongoing match within the superthread. I know previously this was frowned upon and traffic would be directed to the match threads.

But it became evident there was a sizeable portion of fans who only wanted to socialise through a game via the respective superthread, and not engage in rival interactions or outlooks from neutrals or otherwise.

I think this was a positive step and I've been more active reading my teams superthread during games, knowing its discussion from fellow fans but also a community that I'm part of(I find the United Superthread to be a sub-community of soccer with personalities, characters and people behind an avatar)

So kudos for that change, which I believe was somewhat in the last year or so.

Charter amendments, tackling trolling, match threads
    I feel these all fall into one.

Anyone who has used other forums like say, F365's popular forum know how much of a ****show football forums can be when its everyone calling each other ****, being generally abusive and all thoughtful discussion lost to the tribalism underneath being a fan.

However while I don't personally engage in that stuff (I don't goad liverpool fans or go hunting their superthread or match threads for kicks) I do appreciate its part of the whole thing. And I do laugh or find it funny when some of our lads go on a crusade, or even sometimes when we are getting it thick from rivals. There is funny stuff sometimes there. Rarely do I see anything mailicous, until the CL final fallout where a number of Liverpool fans just let themselves down poorly and it was embarrassing to see personally.

I don't see why "trolling" or "banter" or whatever word you want to use, can't happen in a respectful way where the focus is on humour or a bit of gentle "one up manship" but not descend into calling people pedos or horrendous personal stuff. Boards isn't some utopia of soccer fandom where we are all wearing monocles sipping fine wine dissecting the finer tactics of a big game. Sometimes people want to just point and laugh at the other.
    • I'd agree to maintain the ban on certain words that while not offensive, have a sole purpose on goading. "SlippyG, Cheksli etc"
    • I'd make strict that while Superthreads are welcome to everbody, it should be respected as the hub for fans of said club. Any interaction by rival fans or other fans should be respectful, engaging and not just a trolling/goading exercise. You don't have to declare who you support, but a United fan shouldn't walk into a Liverpool thread after their have lost and begin posting "lululululul, Karius couldn't catch a cold"
    • Match threads should allow and cater for, the bantersaures rex's out there who can't help themselves getting one up on each other, with genuine funny attempts. Personal slights, attacks or offensive stuff shouldn't be tolerated. So this could, and maybe should contain "lulululu, Karius can't catch a cold".

I think Match Threads are the perfect entity for everyone to lose their ****, within reason, when it comes to the slagging and the funny stuff. They have a life expectancy, and once the game itself subsides, the thread does too shortly after.

But there really should be no tolerance or ever acceptance of some of the ****e that was posted in the last week to people personally, and that is just a boards policy, never mind a football one.

I've seen Dav lock down entire forums until further notice for less, than posters calling each other pedos and sex offenders and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

This is what Lloyd said:

Because it was a mod that was considered to be trolling (I would agree calling Klopp a serial loser is trolling), the responses to that comment have been seen to be only worthy of a yellow card.

The context of the match and emotion etc was further mentioned too.

MrMac starting it makes everything that came after it similar to calling someone a snowflake or hitting m instead of N in Bemitiz.

Lloyd isn’t a mod though. That’s just his opinion, not one that’s shared by many I imagine.

Lloyd isn’t a mod though. That’s just his opinion, not one that’s shared by many I imagine.

oh, well fcuk me so! I thought he was and took all his comments as being a position being held by the mod team.

Nuts to me and my idiocy so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for opening the forum for the upcoming WC, its been done for Euros and WCs in the past.

I know recently someone said it would be a bad idea but now is the time to speak about it.

I generally don't stray outside of my superthread, and while I remember "one time" it went to pot, I don't think its ever been horribly bad?

More varied posters who experience more of the forum in detail might have better opinions. But might be an idea to create a publicly accessible sub-forum for the WC, that contains match threads and mini super-threads for teams or something. So people are getting a flavour of what things are like.

And maybe look into providing read access to guests to the actual soccer forum. People can see whats taking place and it might peak interest to get involved.

I don't know how it works now, but I never liked the idea of it totally being boxed off behind this wall. I appreciate people being asked to request access, but think there should be some read access for potential newcomers or even longtime boardsies, to see what happens here and if it peaks their interest.

Im happy to see him gone , i have had a few dealings with him and well i wont lie my last yellow was from him and it was a bit of a sad yellow to dish out.

I kinda lost interest in posting on this site for ages over it tbh. I dont mind a mod doing there job when the mark is over stepped card and move on but i honestly felt like i was carded for very little. Even pmed one of the posters that was backing me up and he said it was a harsh card to give out to me.

Just on this, did you follow the DPR or just leave it as that, if you did what was the outcome and if you didn’t why not if you felt it was justified. I find a lot of posters(not aimed at you) tend to vent at the mod instead of following the guidelines and getting the card overturned

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement