Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Haven't read the weekends thread but if I'm reading vthid thread correctly, name calling someone a peado is a seriously low blow.
    That happens again, lock the thread for a few hours mods and discuss a course of action.
    Fcuk that like.

5starpool wrote: »
    I like Micks honesty about not liking Liverpool. I get that it will annoy some at times, but to be honest it isn't like there is any subtlety, plus in recent months it has very rarely happened in Liverpool related thread.

Remember this, only a light example but have a read through it.

Because the same lads looking for me to show up for a bit of craic when it suits them. End of the day it's just a forum and a game of footie about a team you support.

Took an awful lot of **** abuse here over the last few days and it was ****ing not on. Same with MrMac.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106431539&postcount=6418 *Edit* Not sure if I did this correct but its the couple of pages associated with this post.

Anyway I'm done with the thread bar one thing to wills point, he's right.
    There's toxic **** still going on on twitter that keeps bleeding it's way back into the soccer forum
    It's the saddest **** I've seen between a few posters and couple of posters who were banned already and they continue to fuel this crap.
    They want certain posters banned including me.
    They know who they are.
    It's gotten to the stage where one of them found personal details and was trying to link boards accounts to professional accounts like linkedin & Facebook for work.
    Some of the mods know all about it as they were forced to ban some of them a couple of years back. It's all been sent to me already from outside boards so I know the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I don't want to answer it because I can't answer it - not involved throughout the night, as I said. I won't speak for other people either, I'll let them have their own say.

This doesn't wash anymore then the constant washing of the hands regarding the de-modding of MrMac. The admins would certainly have made the call but it was absolutely involving the mods at some level.

I have it on pretty good authority that some of the mods were rounding on him as the cause of the whole fiasco, as if the thread was completely fine beforehand, which it patently wasn't.

I have no idea I MrMac deserved his demodding in terms of an accumulation of events, I don't follow the Liverpool thread closely and am not aware of his interactions there previously. It doesn't matter a lot when it comes to what went on there and was left to continue for almost 2 days.

I stand by the post I was carded for in the united thread. I have discussed that with the mod who gave me the card and as I said to him, all you look for is consistency. I genuinely don't care if the rules are thrown out the window and we 4chan this place. If there are going to be rules in a charter they should be enforced. As long as everybody knows where they stand it's fair game. All we have learned now is that spelling benitez bemitez (by the way what was the justification for that card? I mean really, how can that be deemed anything cardable?) and calling someone a nonce carry equal punishment.

The handling of the entire mess has been shockingly bad, a public thread locked for comment announcing the sacrificial lamb to the forum? No accountability from anybody involved and as I've said this washing of the hands, and it was an admin decision nothing to do with us is as hollow as they come.

There is no point in directing people to contact admins or cmods regarding this as I have done both and no response. Ye simply don't want to take any ownership over it and very obviously can't justify the inequality of the punishments and of course it will go away after a while. It always does, and each time things like this happen it further polarizes the forum and drives good contributers away.

I have been on the soccer forum longer than most, it has changed a hell of a lot over the years and not always for the worse but I can't think of many positive aspects to be implemented in the last couple of years. It has been a pretty steady decline.

A problem with the moderation imo is that at this point anybody with half a brain will avoid it like the plague as it is simply a hiding to nothing and that is unfortunate as then we are left with an ever dwindling, less engaging team of mods. I don't care which team a mod supports, it has never been an issue. It never should be an issue only thing that matters is how they carry out their duties.

This is going to bring more problems going forward for the current mods too as you can be sure there are some posters now who will screenshot, save posts, track decisions and mod notes to build a case of bias againt a mod and demand that mods removal.

I don't think the forum should be a free for all during the world cup, it's just a pain in the hole and must be for the mod team anyway at this point but just in a general sense it is a shame to me that with the stated goal of the soccer forum to be a melting point for fans of all clubs to come and interact which I think is brilliant the decisions taken are contra to this in amny instances.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You know the abuse went on in the Superthread and this has nothing to do with the match thread?
    The match thread should have it own mod warning if it was required but the point you are making does not relate.

Facts:
    No mod warning in the Liverpool Superthread, after all the abuse (The warning Monday wasn't even directly related to it. No mention of the ****ty abuse whatsoever)
    Mod Warning in Utd Superthread Sunday (clearly a warning to stop discussing the issues from the Liverpool thread)

Doesn't matter. Both threads on Sat night going into Sun were dealing with the aftermath of the final so their actual original purpose wasn't important at that time so the issue IS related i think. The baiting started again on Sunday. It shouldn't have, end of.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That link doesn't work for me as you presumably are on 15 posts per page. Use a post link if you want to get people to the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Have you read the posts in question?

What do you think, as a mod, should of been the appropriate action on the night.

You don't have to have been there on the night to have an opinion.

I do indeed. I've read most of them - the paedophile comment, permanent ban, easily. I've done it for less in AH. Some reds, and I know it says otherwise in the charter, but maybe it's my AH coming through, I think minor personal abuse (ie dope) should be a yellow. But that's my opinion and not the rules.

This doesn't wash anymore then the constant washing of the hands regarding the de-modding of MrMac. The admins would certainly have made the call but it was absolutely involving the mods at some level.

I have it on pretty good authority that some of the mods were rounding on him as the cause of the whole fiasco, as if the thread was completely fine beforehand, which it patently wasn't.

Your "pretty good authority" is complete bullshit, I'm not going to beat around the bush there. This was 100% an admin call, not even Sports CMods had any input, as far as I'm aware. The rounding on him thing - equally wrong. Disagreement with his decisions and posts that night is not rounding on him, and certainly no mods pushed him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is this a feedback thread or a Liverpool United thread.

It's always the latter. It's all bollox too. Forced identity stuff. There is no difference between a United and Liverpool fan in this country! All this 'United fans do X, Pool fans do Y' talk is garbage. This idea that they have different traits is delusion. Honestly, you're just some bloke from a town or city in Ireland that likes a massive team in NW England and it happens to be one of the most successful in that country's history. So is the same fella you're slagging ... but you grew up in the same town or city that he did. There's no difference at all but they think they're the antithesis of one another. It's a melt all over the forum. I won't go into a match thread involving the two teams but when it leaks into other threads, it's unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Haven't really encountered you before Nixonbot but I respect you for your honest opinion and not dodging most of the questions.

I don't know if you can or cant but if would be helpful if some mod could actually keep this thread someway on track and not end up been shut because of personal battles and back and forth crap talk or it will be a complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haven't really encountered you before Nixonbot but I respect you for your honest opinion and not dodging most of the questions.

I don't know if you can or cant but if would be helpful if some mod could actually keep this thread someway on track and not end up been shut because of personal battles and back and forth crap talk or it will be a complete waste of time.

He is the mod previously known as skylinehead.

That link doesn't work for me as you presumably are on 15 posts per page. Use a post link if you want to get people to the right place.

Not 100% sure how to do that lad. Maybe a mod can tweak the post or something.

Your "pretty good authority" is complete bullshit, I'm not going to beat around the bush there. This was 100% an admin call, not even Sports CMods had any input, as far as I'm aware. The rounding on him thing - equally wrong. Disagreement with his decisions and posts that night is not rounding on him, and certainly no mods pushed him out.

Not being funny here, but what else are you going to say in this instance? I'm hardly expecting a concession on any of the agreed narrative in fairness. You can use forceful language or beat around the bush, it's all the one.

I'm not going any further on this one here as it is pointless.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He mods AH and is blunt and honest there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not 100% sure how to do that lad. Maybe a mod can tweak the post or something.

In the top right corner of each post there is a number - in your post that I am quoting now, it is 362. Clicking on the number will open the individual post and you can take the URL from there.

Not being funny here, but what else are you going to say in this instance? I'm hardly expecting a concession on any of the agreed narrative in fairness. You can use forceful language or beat around the bush, it's all the one.

I'm not going any further on this one here as it is pointless.

You're the one making baseless claims, not me. Either provide some evidence or don't make the claim in the first place. Pretty good authority, ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ohh him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only messing :)

You're the one making baseless claims, not me. Either provide some evidence or don't make the claim in the first place. Pretty good authority, ha.

I mentioned it as part of my opinion on the matter, you can call it baseless, you can call it bull****. It makes no difference to me. I don't need to prove anything to you on it, your reaction to it is intriguing but like I said I'm not going to push it here, it's pointless.

Edit: Oh and I'm obviously not going to compromise anybody publicly. I can go into a bit more detail if you want to pm me about it but I don't see it getting us anywhere either.

I'm happy enough to discuss anything else from my post as I assume you read more than that bit

I mentioned it as part of my opinion on the matter, you can call it baseless, you can call it bull****. It makes no difference to me. I don't need to prove anything to you on it, your reaction to it is intriguing but like I said I'm not going to push it here, it's pointless.

My reaction? I don't like being accused of conspiracy, pretty normal.

"my opinion" doesn't stack up with "pretty good authority". So what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I no longer post on the forum as I got really disgruntled with the way things operate here. However, I do still read a few of the threads here.

The level of personal abuse and to only be getting yellow cards over it is a total joke. That kind of personal abuse should be a perma ban, no excuses.

My reaction? I don't like being accused of conspiracy, pretty normal.

"my opinion" doesn't stack up with "pretty good authority". So what is it?

I mentioned it as part of my opinion on the whole situation. Which was clear enough I'd have thought. If not I apologies. I mean I didn't put that into my post expecting anything to come of it specifically, more that it is part of my overall opinion. What I have been told has helped me form my opinion. That any clearer?

I didn't accuse you of conspiracy, I said some (didn't I?) Not all. Conspiracy is probably the wrong word too I would think, but ok.

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to on it here. I've told you what to do if you want to go any further, didn't want my entire post to boil down to two lines.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Mods need to address why the charter wasn't followed on Saturday night regarding the personal abuse.

If mods are making their own rules and going against the charter then they shouldn't be mods.

If my memory serves me right from Sunday the very first mod post about the whole issue was in the United thread saying to stop the Liverpool chat when the mod post should have been in the Liverpool thread Saturday night when people were being called sex offenders, cnuts, scumbags etc. Instead that mod post came a whole day later to the Liverpool thread and it was basically nothing.

That shows the major inconsistencies in the moderation.

At the end of the day, mods don't want to ban their mates and that is what it looks like is happening here for the last while.

I missed this post but well said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nixonbot, I'm curious (and asking because, in fairness, you're the only mod engaging people here)...

In the aftermath of the abuse on Saturday, was there discussion in the mod forum about what action should be taken? Was there a discussion about not just Mac's role in the events, but the reactions they caused? My memory is that the yellows for the abuse weren't actually given out till around midday on Sunday (thats the timestamp I noticed for some of the worst offenders getting yellows).

So why was there a delay in carding, and was there a discussion behind the scenes of what punishments were warranted? I stress, I'm not asking about discussions about Mac. I'm talking about what discussions were there about the overall aftermath of the situation? Were the comments debated and discussed? Did the mods who dealt the yellows simply do it on their own accord?

It strikes me that the main concern in this thread all day has been "how was the decision reached to 'only' give yellows for what look very clear reds", and there still hasn't been an attempt made to discuss it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

To be honest I only really had a major problem with one user on the forum and because I'm on my phone most of the time now it doesn't bother me as much despite him being a serial thanker of all the even slightly trollish posts from a certain group of fans in the threads I engage in.

I actually thought that the forum was going fine up until the shìtshow at the weekend where absolutely nobody came out looking well and was ultimately disgracefully handled. Clearly there was something bubbling under the surface with MrMac and Liverpool fans that I can't say I noticed and it was going to come to a head sooner or later. Would be better if it was done behind closed doors rather than the post in a locked thread allowing the circle jerk and lack of transparency.

Even if it had been that Mac could only mod the United thread from then on or something a compromise could have been reached. What it has turned to now is ridiculous and only something that clears the air will alleviate the situation. Having some of those comments go relatively unpunished when people do get cards for the likes of Lolerpool and Moaninho has set a precedent that only a significant backpedal or explanation could begin to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Can we call the World Cup Forum the "England are going to win the World Cup - World Cup Forum." Not very catchy admittedly.

That joyous occasion will unite us all, and we can be one big happy family again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd stick to "world cup thread" after all the kerfuffle regarding team thread names during the season.

Can we call the World Cup Forum the "England are going to win the World Cup - World Cup Forum." Not very catchy admittedly.

That joyous occasion will unite us all, and we can be one big happy family again.

Is it just going to be one big superthread? I'm trying to remember the euros and the last world cup but I swore there was more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus. Just catching up on this thread now and the only thing that comes to mind for me is 'fair play to the mods'. I wouldn't do that job if you paid me and those lunatics are getting grief because enough of them don't devote their Saturday night to the job.

Anyway as a feedback suggestion - do away with Superthreads entirely. More than anything they've created a culture of 'you can't come in here and say that, this is our place, you support the others'. People get petty and snippy, things spiral out of control and you get what happened on Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Is it just going to be one big superthread? I'm trying to remember the euros and the last world cup but I swore there was more.

Think the idea at the moment is a temporary full forum, attached to the main forum, in same way ticket forum and access forum are.

Far too many forums in that post. Sorry.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jesus. Just catching up on this thread now and the only thing that comes to mind for me is 'fair play to the mods'. I wouldn't do that job if you paid me and those lunatics are getting grief because enough of them don't devote their Saturday night to the job.

Neither would I in a million years. The type of person who does is never gonna be right person for the job unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought what happened the night of the Champions League final was a low point for the Soccer forum, and ultimately the culmination of a lot of problems that weren't treated in the past, and which reached a tipping point.

I was very surprised that so many blatant breaches of the charter continued to occur in the match thread. Plenty of instances of posters being told "I'll take the yellow card for this...f*ck you" etc. This to me is poor behaviour and ought to be met with a worse sanction than a yellow card. Why? Because the person doing this is outright telling you that they don't regard the yellow card as a deterrent. So the punishment for this should be stiffer. Imo people engaging in this should be given at least a month off from the forum because it's basically saying, "I know I'm about to wilfully break the rules here, but I don't care." Well if they don't care about the rules, why are they on the forum? Basic rules, e.g. don't engage in personal abuse, appear to be given slaps on the wrist, while daft rules abound.

Case in point: I was given a yellow card following Saturday's mess of a thread via a PM from Thanx 4 The Fish the following day. This was a surprise to me since I couldn't recall abusing anyone, and haven't had an infraction in the last nine years on Boards. Here is the reason I was given:
    Calling fans snowflakes on superthread/trolling is in breach of the charter.

Even leaving aside the irony of an infraction being given for calling someone a snowflake, I've read the charter and can see nothing about calling people snowflakes. It would appear then this has been deemed a trolling offence.

In fact I had referred to a poster bemoaning gloating from United fans about Liverpool's loss to Madrid as a snowflake because this poster, a week earlier, had supported United fans being told to "suck it up" following gloating from Liverpool fans about United's loss to Chelsea. It was acknowledging a double standard.

Apparently I missed a meeting where snowflake is now deemed to be a grievous term of offence, on a par with "scumbag", "w*nker", "d*ckhead" and so on. If I'm not allowed to call such people snowflakes, then instead I'll simply say they are being too precious. I say this to any fan - whether they are United, Liverpool, Chelsea or whatever - if you're gonna give it, then take it.

On that point, I think the treatment of MrMac84 was wrong and the manner in which he was de-modded terrible. After a day in which the tribalism had escalated, a post was put up essentially as an excuse to take a swipe without even having the courtesy to let the chap have his say, and inviting all of his critics to celebrate; thus further entrenching a divide when the goal should have been to try to tackle it. The manner in which this thread has been set up further invites a divide widening. If the goal is for it to be "healing" then it has been a misstep because you are not addressing the concerns that many forum users have, i.e. that the place is becoming too cliquey, and that as a result, impartiality is being lost.

I would urge the mods to acknowledge that the episode has been poorly dealt with, and recognise that consistency in decision-making along with impartial moderating is essential going forward for this forum to thrive.

I'd also like to say that while we all love the rivalries, sometimes it goes overboard. And I think we're in danger of things getting too toxic. I see Liverpool fans on this board from other forums and know they're a good sort. I've seen moments on the Soccer forum in the past where fans of all clubs can come together, like the sad passing of eirebhoy - a poster long-time users will remember and respect.

Let's keep in mind that for all our differences we're more alike than we often realise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

OpRUqb8.gif

Of course recent events ended up being discussed in the United thread ahead of the feedback thread opening. I'd just like to add here what I said in the United thread in response to another poster...
    Fair enough. They can card away.

I'm only telling truth.

Won't blame Mod if get card. I know it's not their fault
    I don't fully agree with that.

I've never seen the likes of the winding-up which was allowed to go on in here from 'neutrals' this season. Never mind neutrals coming in for a discussion, or to share an unpopular opinion, cause that's all fine, it's the trolling attempts of which there were many. At various points (when United lost) a mass of 'neutrals' would descend in here to have some kind of pop. That would be allowed to continue unpunished, while any of us in here who called it out got the infraction.

One of those times, I got carded for suggesting someone was just trying to wind-up United posters rather than engage in honest debate. They totally were and it was going on for a few posts at that stage, but that didn't matter. I guess I should have called that poster a nonce, or c**t, or a waste of life, smash my hands against the keyboard in some completely OTT fit of petulance, it would have gotten the same infraction at worst. Oh wait, I just wouldn't do that no matter what infraction it did or didn't pick up.

I have seen a few more of those type of cards handed out in the United thread this past season, think it was astradave who got one when we were being pillaged by gleeful City fans and neutrals before Christmas for example, and they are very unfair infractions. Especially when the WUMing has been going on for hours without mod intervention, and the report button has been given up on, such is its uselessness.

There were those type of cards, and then as FatherTed1969 pointed out, he got one of the most ridiculous cards I've seen in the soccer forum. Merely for honestly misspelling a word in the wrong thread. A thread where 'Moaninho' has gone unpunished quite often.

Whose fault are those cards?

Also, I've seen good posters in here punished for making any kind of allusion to a neutral opinion not being welcome in here. They are swiftly reminded that 'This is not just a thread for United fans'. Fair enough. Meanwhile however, over in the other thread, taking the piss of those who 'come in peace' is like a jaded party-piece for a few posters by now. They never get called out for it, and actually have been thanked by a soccer mod for it on occasion.

Mr. Mac was accused of handing out cards to rival fans like confetti and being highly biased, well I've seen that behaviour with at least one other mod this season. If they're going to pretend that Mr.Mac was the problem and now that he's been removed it's plain sailing from here, well they're wrong.

I used to think this was a fairly modded forum where the lines were quite clear and the implementation of the charter at least semi-consistent. I unfortunately don't feel the same way anymore. I've seen more 'political/tribal/selective' moderating this past season than any of the last 7-8 I've been around for, and it's highly off-putting.

I know some Boards posters have had the following opinion for longer than a year. I know 'nothing is as good as it used to be' in general, but I really feel the soccer forum dived off a cliff this past season. That's not all on the mods or even nearly all on them, but instances like the above don't help. Give WUMs an inch, they become normalised to taking the mile.

That's just a bit about the modding. I said all of the above as someone who understands why Mr. Mac had to go as a soccer mod, but can't understand the abuse and treatment he received in the process.

I'll be back later with a (non-mod blaming) theory of why the Man United match threads are completely gone to fúck, and are the last place any football fan would consider honestly discussing a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anyway as a feedback suggestion - do away with Superthreads entirely. More than anything they've created a culture of 'you can't come in here and say that, this is our place, you support the others'. People get petty and snippy, things spiral out of control and you get what happened on Saturday night.

I see where you are coming from, but losing super threads would lose a lot of what the forum is about. This thread though is losing a bit of perspective brought on by the events of the weekend. The football forum by and large is fine, the main problem is the policing of United and Liverpool fans and their interactions. This has been a problem here for as long as I've been a member. Maybe separate forums for both sets of fans, and keep them away from each other. It's kind of obvious that we can only exist together for so long together in the same forum before an incident causes chaos and a nightmare for the mods. I've yet to see a constructive debate between the two sets of fans, so why have them in the same space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Match threads died when the level of wumming flowing in them meant discussing the actual match was simply impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I thought what happened the night of the Champions League final was a low point for the Soccer forum, and ultimately the culmination of a lot of problems that weren't treated in the past, and which reached a tipping point.

I was very surprised that so many blatant breaches of the charter continued to occur in the match thread. Plenty of instances of posters being told "I'll take the yellow card for this...f*ck you" etc. This to me is poor behaviour and ought to be met with a worse sanction than a yellow card. Why? Because the person doing this is outright telling you that they don't regard the yellow card as a deterrent. So the punishment for this should be stiffer. Imo people engaging in this should be given at least a month off from the forum because it's basically saying, "I know I'm about to wilfully break the rules here, but I don't care." Well if they don't care about the rules, why are they on the forum? Basic rules, e.g. don't engage in personal abuse, appear to be given slaps on the wrist, while daft rules abound.

Case in point: I was given a yellow card following Saturday's mess of a thread via a PM from Thanx 4 The Fish the following day. This was a surprise to me since I couldn't recall abusing anyone, and haven't had an infraction in the last nine years on Boards. Here is the reason I was given:

Even leaving aside the irony of an infraction being given for calling someone a snowflake, I've read the charter and can see nothing about calling people snowflakes. It would appear then this has been deemed a trolling offence.

In fact I had referred to a poster bemoaning gloating from United fans about Liverpool's loss to Madrid as a snowflake because this poster, a week earlier, had supported United fans being told to "suck it up" following gloating from Liverpool fans about United's loss to Chelsea. It was acknowledging a double standard.

Apparently I missed a meeting where snowflake is now deemed to be a grievous term of offence, on a par with "scumbag", "w*nker", "d*ckhead" and so on. If I'm not allowed to call such people snowflakes, then instead I'll simply say they are being too precious. I say this to any fan - whether they are United, Liverpool, Chelsea or whatever - if you're gonna give it, then take it.

On that point, I think the treatment of MrMac84 was wrong and the manner in which he was de-modded terrible. After a day in which the tribalism had escalated, a post was put up essentially as an excuse to take a swipe without even having the courtesy to let the chap have his say, and inviting all of his critics to celebrate; thus further entrenching a divide when the goal should have been to try to tackle it. The manner in which this thread has been set up further invites a divide widening. If the goal is for it to be "healing" then it has been a misstep because you are not addressing the concerns that many forum users have, i.e. that the place is becoming too cliquey, and that as a result, impartiality is being lost.

I would urge the mods to acknowledge that the episode has been poorly dealt with, and recognise that consistency in decision-making along with impartial moderating is essential going forward for this forum to thrive.

I'd also like to say that while we all love the rivalries, sometimes it goes overboard. And I think we're in danger of things getting too toxic. I see Liverpool fans on this board from other forums and know they're a good sort. I've seen moments on the Soccer forum in the past where fans of all clubs can come together, like the sad passing of eirebhoy - a poster long-time users will remember and respect.

Let's keep in mind that for all our differences we're more alike than we often realise.

I got my only card on this account for the very same word.

Mod note : Calling any group of supporters snowflakes is considered abuse and is in breach of the charter. This has been discussed by the mods but happy to discuss further with you if you feel necessary

That mod note tells me they knew themselves it was a bullsh*t call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

RobertKK wrote: »
    This is the mod team: Forum Mods: Amirani, dfx-, GavRedKing, Nixonbot, SlickRic, Thanx 4 The Fish, Turtwig
    Category Mods: GavRedKing, Mickeroo, Steve

The CL final was the biggest night of the year, where were all these mods on the night?
    The site had Mac take a fall for others who were not around to mod, and surely all have to take responsibility for that?
    I think the rest got away very lightly in this regard, and have Mac as the sacrificial lamb as a cover for a lack of modding by others.
    Actually, I was watching Leinster win the double, what a match!

As was posted by some others, they had prior commitments.

No mod is obliged to be available at any time or to cover any event, nor will they ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've yet to see a constructive debate between the two sets of fans, so why have them in the same space

I actually detest this line of reasoning, because I hate being labeled as a "united fan".

I support Manchester United, that doesn't mean I should be lumped into a particular subset or grouping that can only post in thread A or Thread F. Balls to that, its a message board, I should be able to post my opinions wherever I damn well please.

You won't find any infractions on my account for going into "rival" threads and stirring up trouble, but if I wanted to go into a Liverpool thread and debate the shortcomings of Jurgen Klopp why on earth should I not be allowed to? Just because I support United?

Advocating segregation is ridiculous, all that is needed is unbiased moderation and for offenders to be correctly sanctioned wherever and whenever they are noted.

This is untrue. The mods (with the exception of one who is also a cmod) had no prior notification.
    I have it on better authority than you that this is also untrue.

Steve wrote: »

No mod is obliged to be available at any time or to cover any event, nor will they ever be.

I'm sure every mod will be along to explain why they were busy, but in fact I doubt anybody has a problem with mods having more important things in their lives than the internet.

The real question is not why Mod A or Mod B wasn't there Saturday night, its why at some point last week nobody asked, "who's on duty Saturday lads?"

(Of course, the real question was actually asked in post 5 of this thread, but its clear no answer will be given there).

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    This is untrue. The mods (with the exception of one who is also a cmod) had no prior notification.

I have it on better authority than you that this is also untrue.

Already discussed this with nixonbot via pm and have said already, not going any further with it here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm sure every mod will be along to explain why they were busy, but in fact I doubt anybody has a problem with mods having more important things in their lives than the internet.

The real question is not why Mod A or Mod B wasn't there Saturday night, its why at some point last week nobody asked, "who's on duty Saturday lads?"

(Of course, the real question was actually asked in post 5 of this thread, but its clear no answer will be given there).

May have changed, obviously, but when I was there, this sort of thing was never really discussed.

The only time absences like that were noted ahead of time was if we were going away for a larger stretch (say, a holiday for a week, etc).

There wasn't, to the best of my recollection, ever a rota like that. For the most part, in fairness, the team of mods were made up of people who were willing and able to be on as much as possible, and thus never needed for such a rota to be discussed ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I would like to echo the many other posters who have just called for some consistency in application of the charter.

Also, if mods are unwilling to properly do this and moderate the forum then they shouldn't be mods. I had to report a post earlier this year in which I and another user were personally abused. The abuse we received wouldn't have looked out of place on the Liverpool thread last Saturday night. The moderator simply deleted subsequent (non-abusive) posts by myself and the other abused user, whilst not only leaving the abusive post visible in the thread, but neglecting to card it also. I questioned this via PM and got the following response:
    Simple really.

I happened to get emails notifying me of specific posts. so i dealt with them.

I was busy in work, and still am, so hadn't looked through the entire thread, as I didn't have time.

That's all.

Thanks.

Quite dismissive, and just trying to convince himself he's dealt with the situation when he clearly hadn't. I appreciate that being a moderator is probably a thankless job and that the mods have their own jobs and personal lives to focus on but if you are a mod then moderate the forum properly - as per the charter - or don't moderate at all.

One thing I would like to see for the new season is clamping down on posts in which users are accused of being fanboys of other teams/managers. I think for healthy, mature discussion within the superthreads it is often necessary to draw comparisons between your own team/manager and your rivals . Unfortunately, there are some immature posters who don't like it when unfavorable comparisons are made and accuse supporters of the same team of being "X fanboys" or "closet Y fans". I've even seen many posts accusing fellow supporters of being happy when their team loses. This level of discourse offers nothing to the thread and just inhibits proper discussion. It's childish and surely borderline trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Haven't really encountered you before Nixonbot

and this should be stopped forthwith. How the feck are we supposed to ground our biases about mods when they change their names and icons? :)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Nixonbot, I'm curious (and asking because, in fairness, you're the only mod engaging people here)...

In the aftermath of the abuse on Saturday, was there discussion in the mod forum about what action should be taken? Was there a discussion about not just Mac's role in the events, but the reactions they caused? My memory is that the yellows for the abuse weren't actually given out till around midday on Sunday (thats the timestamp I noticed for some of the worst offenders getting yellows).

So why was there a delay in carding, and was there a discussion behind the scenes of what punishments were warranted? I stress, I'm not asking about discussions about Mac. I'm talking about what discussions were there about the overall aftermath of the situation? Were the comments debated and discussed? Did the mods who dealt the yellows simply do it on their own accord?

It strikes me that the main concern in this thread all day has been "how was the decision reached to 'only' give yellows for what look very clear reds", and there still hasn't been an attempt made to discuss it....

You know well we cannot divulge anything from the mod forum, I'm actually surprised and disappointed that you, as a current mod, actually asked that question.

Yes, there was scant mod coverage for the event, that's apparent. What else can I say?

Just one more thing,

"Did the mods who dealt the yellows simply do it on their own accord?"

Of course they did, just like you did when you were a mod here.

May have changed, obviously, but when I was there, this sort of thing was never really discussed.

The only time absences like that were noted ahead of time was if we were going away for a larger stretch (say, a holiday for a week, etc).

There wasn't, to the best of my recollection, ever a rota like that. For the most part, in fairness, the team of mods were made up of people who were willing and able to be on as much as possible, and thus never needed for such a rota to be discussed ahead of time.

I'll admit it wasn't discussed. Something to do for future big events, certainly.

• Advertisement

If that is the way it is then thats how it is, seems unintuitive to have a modded forum be left to its own devices at a time that would clearly have been a flashpoint.

It doesn't particularly concern me though, my concern continues to be what the mods did when they actually did get around to reviewing the posts in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It's one thing to get annoyed by a comment but reading some of these posts I've only come to realise that some posters check the thanks of other posters and get annoyed by not a comment but a click of a thanks button. Jaysus I didn't realise things were that bad with some people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I actually detest this line of reasoning, because I hate being labeled as a "united fan".

I support Manchester United, that doesn't mean I should be lumped into a particular subset or grouping that can only post in thread A or Thread F. Balls to that, its a message board, I should be able to post my opinions wherever I damn well please.

You won't find any infractions on my account for going into "rival" threads and stirring up trouble, but if I wanted to go into a Liverpool thread and debate the shortcomings of Jurgen Klopp why on earth should I not be allowed to? Just because I support United?

Advocating segregation is ridiculous, all that is needed is unbiased moderation and for offenders to be correctly sanctioned wherever and whenever they are noted.

How often do you see supporters of Man United or Liverpool going into the others superthreads and it not get antagonistic? I've been on here for years, and am yet to see any debate in the Liverpool thread(I mostly view that thread) by a man United fan that hasn't got the "locals" wound up or them thinking there is an agenda. It's not right, but I don't see much effort being made by the locals to just engage in conversation with a football fan,rather them being seen as a fan of the "opposition" so they must be here on a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Just another thing, after the FA cup final last week there were plenty of prods to provoke a reaction but it didn't descend into the farce of Saturday night. Posters in the main ignored any provocation from Liverpool fans who dropped in to have a snigger. No fear of that on Saturday. Still don't know how they can row back on what they did and didn't do. Still think a line can't be drawn on some comments that were made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's one thing to get annoyed by a comment but reading some of these posts I've only come to realise that some posters check the thanks of other posters and get annoyed by not a comment but a click of a thanks button. Jaysus I didn't realise things were that bad with some people

Some posters are thanks whores, and they delight in a bit of bantz esp if it gets them plenty of virtual back-slaps typically on a match thread when winding up the supporters of the team that just lost.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement