Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire support for wisteria

Options
  • 30-05-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I'm currently growing wisteria and looking for advice on a support cable for it.
    I've figured out I need 4mm steel rope/wire. I'm wondering how many vertical cables I need to this. Is one enough or do I need two, spaced about 20cm apart?I'm thinking of having a 10cm gap between the house and the cable.
    Also, am I ok without any horizontal cables?
    I've found a 100m drum of wire here, but if anyone else has another supplier they would recommend that would be great.

It's growing pretty fast at the moment so I want to get the support in as soon as possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You only need horizontal cables.

Place them the width of the space you want to cover at 30cm vertical intervals. Take a couple of stems and tie them in along the first cable, let the rest grow up to the next cable, take a couple and tie them in, repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You really don't need a 4mm steel anything. A 2mm wire will do perfectly well. You will however need a few really good anchor points and here's why.

The new growth hardly needs anything to support it but for initial shaping you want it to grow straight along your wires. Once it has started to thicken up the stems don't need a wire to be tied to or to grow around and you can tie the stem directly to as many vine eyes or screw eyes as necessary, suggest about every 2 feet.

Once you have the shape you want you cut back 99% of the new growth leaving just a couple of buds each year so don't need the wire once everything is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You only need horizontal cables.
    Place them the width of the space you want to cover at 30cm vertical intervals. Take a couple of stems and tie them in along the first cable, let the rest grow up to the next cable, take a couple and tie them in, repeat.

I am planning to train the growth in two directions. To the left for a distance of 3.2m, along a horizontal cable. And then also up the front of the house, on a sections that's 65cm in width. That's where I was thinking of the two vertical cables. The width of the space is 65cm 3.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

my3cents wrote: »
    The new growth hardly needs anything to support it but for initial shaping you want it to grow straight along your wires. Once it has started to thicken up the stems don't need a wire to be tied to or to grow around and you can tie the stem directly to as many vine eyes or screw eyes as necessary, suggest about every 2 feet.

That makes sense now, as it will grow thick and support itself.
    I'll plan for an eyelet every two feet or so in that case.

Advertisement