Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo shuts down abruptly

Options
  • 30-05-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all!

Have a Lenovo Ideapad 310 which I've had for just less than a year and this past 6 months or so its been shutting down without warning (not a complete shut down as the fans do be still going) and then restarts itself, anyone have any ideas what I can do to see what the problems is?

Maybe there's an energy saving thing on the computer? Any ideas? I have the laptop on a cushdesk so it shouldn't be overheating and there really isn't much on it to slow it down, most of the times I'm just browsing the internet when it turns off!!

I haven't noticed any trend of when it does it, once it shut down when I was about 10 mins online, other times it could be a couple hours.....any help or ideas would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Does it power off when connected to the charger or only on battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I have no idea what that is :(

Didn't take me long to find out :pac:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Laptop-CushDesk-Pitch-Black/dp/B0026RL6P8

OP, can you check the Event Viewer and find what happens exactly just before it powers off?

It might be a good idea to run a diagnostic (might be built in... or you can use Hiren's Boot CD).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sounds like overheating so shuts down to prevent damage

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

verycool wrote: »
    Didn't take me long to find out :pac:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Laptop-CushDesk-Pitch-Black/dp/B0026RL6P8

OP, can you check the Event Viewer and find what happens exactly just before it powers off?

It might be a good idea to run a diagnostic (might be built in... or you can use Hiren's Boot CD).

Yeah, found that too which is why I had deleted my post ....... but I was not able to determine if it interfered with the cooling of the laptop or not which seemed like a likely candidate for the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jezabelle28

Can do either, power off while on power or battery!

Little cushdesk is hard on top (to prevent laptop from overheating), but soft on bottom so can be left on your lap....

I do think it's NOT overheating (could be wrong), last one did it (which is why I got this brand spanking new one) and I would tell the fans would get very very noisy and then screen go blank! This one, no different sound, might only be on 10/15 mins then cut out.

verycool- where would I find the event viewer on windows 10?

thanks folks for trying to help me out here, much obliged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement