Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tivoli Roads Upgrade?

Options
  • 30-05-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I pass Tivoli most days and see a lot of work going on - is this just for the new building next to the Topaz/Circle K station or is there supposed to be a general upgrade of the road going on? I thought there was a general upgrade but it doesn't LOOK like it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

You forgot to put "in Cork" at the end of your thread title in the Cork City forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I pass Tivoli most days and see a lot of work going on - is this just for the new building next to the Topaz/Circle K station or is there supposed to be a general upgrade of the road going on? I thought there was a general upgrade but it doesn't LOOK like it...

I think it might be preparatory works for the upgrade you're speaking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The sign up by the Lovers Walk junction says something like Northumbrian water working on behalf of Irish Water so I imagine all the works are water related.The layout of the road by HSS tool hire is a total disgrace and has been like that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

The sign up by the Lovers Walk junction says something like Northumbrian water working on behalf of Irish Water so I imagine all the works are water related.The layout of the road by HSS tool hire is a total disgrace and has been like that for years.

It is, there is de-facto two lanes there but it's not laid out for it despite there being plenty of room. It's an unnecessary choke-point. The surface of the road, as you come down from Silversprings is a complete mess too.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Works are for a watermain upgrade.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

Lower Glanmire Road: Lane restriction currently in operation outbound from the junction of Trafalgar Hill to facilitate watermain installation (Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.), expect delays.

Lower Glanmire Road / Silversprings Interchange Eastbound Slip: Lane Restriction in place 1930-0600hrs to facilitate watermain installation (Coffey Northumbrian).

Tivoli Dual Carriageway: Lane restriction in operation from 0930hrs – 1530hrs daily to facilitate installation of watermain (Coffey Northumbrian).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Cork city council has planned to commence road upgrades at Tivoli, outlined in this article, http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Road-upgrades-planned-for-the-Silversprings-dual-carriageway-c11b0fc0-493f-4a9c-8fcb-10ec080ef4ac-ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I hope they have a slip road, just for traffic entering the Tivoli Docks rather than using the current one. It just adds to the backlog on the current flyover.

I'm not sure how feasible it is, but they need to improve the junction where people are turning right to go up Lover's Walk. I've taken that route a few times myself, but it's not great that a single right turn can stop traffic on the main route into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not sure how feasible it is, but they need to improve the junction where people are turning right to go up Lover's Walk. I've taken that route a few times myself, but it's not great that a single right turn can stop traffic on the main route into the city.

There is room for the traffic to pass inside if (and it's a very big if) the car turning right takes up the correct position (right wheels on the centre line) and if the following traffic isn't terrified of passing through relatively tight gaps.

Unfortunately, those two ifs rarely happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Unfortunately, those two ifs rarely happen.
    Very true. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers don't consider those behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Cork city council has planned to commence road upgrades at Tivoli, outlined in this article, http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Road-upgrades-planned-for-the-Silversprings-dual-carriageway-c11b0fc0-493f-4a9c-8fcb-10ec080ef4ac-ds

What is the raised road they talk of?

I presume this is mainly just containing the 2 lanes of the Tivoli DC to the slip for the flyover. Are they also doing a filter lane for loverswslk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

What is the raised road they talk of?

I presume this is mainly just containing the 2 lanes of the Tivoli DC to the slip for the flyover. Are they also doing a filter lane for loverswslk?

I believe raised road is a misnomer. This must refer to the divider they plan to install to separate the eastbound and westbound carriageways from the end of the dual carriage way until after Kevin O’Learys.

Referred to here as 390m of raised central reserve
    https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/system/files/materials/276/Document%20No%202%20-Site%20Notice%20N8%20Silversprings%20Junction%20Upgrade.docx_0.pdf

No filter for lovers walk here:

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/system/files/materials/276/Document%20No%201%20-%20Planning%20Drawings_0.pdf

Advertisement