Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC Monday June 4th.

Options
  • 30-05-2018 3:12pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So WWDC is just around the corner.

I know it's 90% software, but apple have been known to drop some hardware at these events.

From reading around online i've seen talk of the iPhone 5 SE 2, iPad X, and a smaller/cheaper HomePod(to be fair it would want to be a LOT cheaper if they plan on taking over from Amazon) also talks of them releasing the long awaited AirPower also.

On the software side, i'm looking forward to seeing what we have coming down the road with iOS12 and Watch OS5.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hardware will be later this year. At a push they might throw out AirPower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Am I right in saying it's not an iphone 5 se just the iphone SE?

iOS 12 seems to be mosly under the hood improvements this year and that might be no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I can see WatchOS 5 dropping support for the original watch series (series 0?) - sob for early adopters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying it's not an iphone 5 se just the iphone SE?

Officially there's no "iPhone 5 SE", people just call the SE that because it uses the same form factor as the 5.
    iOS 12 seems to be mosly under the hood improvements this year and that might be no harm.

Under-the-hood releases can cause a lot of problems too. Snow Leopard was mostly an under-the-hood release but the point oh version was pretty terrible and took several months to become the stable version of OS X that everyone remembers now.

Officially there's no "iPhone 5 SE", people just call the SE that because it uses the same form factor as the 5.

Under-the-hood releases can cause a lot of problems too. Snow Leopard was mostly an under-the-hood release but the point oh version was pretty terrible and took several months to become the stable version of OS X that everyone remembers now.

I'm seeing this though as improvements to iOS 11 which was very buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm seeing this though as improvements to iOS 11 which was very buggy.

Yeah, but any major release, whether its a "feature release" or an "under-the-hood" release, will probably break other things. If Apple really wanted to improve iOS 11 they would keep doing smaller maintenance releases for longer. I'm not totally pooh-poohing the idea of an under-the-hood release, just that initially it has the potential to be just as buggy if not more so than a big feature release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seems like it will be a much more muted WWDC this year with no major updates or revamps rumoured. I’m not getting my hopes up for anything too major.

I actually wouldn’t mind if this year was focused on stability and bugs for all platforms, even though I rarely deal with the problems most people seems to have with Apple software lately.

However, I’d like to see if anything comes from the rumoured cross platform iOS/macOs apps that were expected in the next year or two. That’s been walked back a bit lately with new rumours of iOS apps just running on Mac and new ARM based macs but with such big changes to a platform Apple would need to give developers a bit of time to prepare so this year isn’t completely ruled out IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seems like it will be a much more muted WWDC this year with no major updates or revamps rumoured. I’m not getting my hopes up for anything too major.

I actually wouldn’t mind if this year was focused on stability and bugs for all platforms, even though I rarely deal with the problems most people seems to have with Apple software lately.

However, I’d like to see if anything comes from the rumoured cross platform iOS/macOs apps that were expected in the next year or two. That’s been walked back a bit lately with new rumours of iOS apps just running on Mac and new ARM based macs but with such big changes to a platform Apple would need to give developers a bit of time to prepare so this year isn’t completely ruled out IMO.

The cross platform stuff has been pushed back to next year.

Developers may get a declarative based UI toolkit that would help with this cross platformification.

The intel transition only took a full year to do, arguably the lineup now is more complex but times have changed. Apple aren’t the underdog anymore. They can shift people into developing for a new architecture and hopefully the rest of the industry follows.

I’m hoping for new APIs to make doing animations easier and more fluid, APIs based off SceneKit etc to have real time lightning and shadows in UI elements.

Would be nice to see the release of the AirPower and the AirPods with Qi charging finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The cross platform stuff has been pushed back to next year.

Developers may get a declarative based UI toolkit that would help with this cross platformification.

The intel transition only took a full year to do, arguably the lineup now is more complex but times have changed. Apple aren’t the underdog anymore. They can shift people into developing for a new architecture and hopefully the rest of the industry follows.

I’m hoping for new APIs to make doing animations easier and more fluid, APIs based off SceneKit etc to have real time lightning and shadows in UI elements.

Would be nice to see the release of the AirPower and the AirPods with Qi charging finally.

Hmm

The declarative uikit is probably what was rumoured to be cross platform solution.

A new ARM transition (which isn’t the same thing as the cross platform UI) would in theory be a recompile for existing Mac apps, and not even that if they used bit code.

I don’t get the SceneKit as a UI backend, not in he modern flat era.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hmm

The declarative uikit is probably what was rumoured to be cross platform solution.

A new ARM transition (which isn’t the same thing as the cross platform UI) would in theory be a recompile for existing Mac apps, and not even that if they used bit code.

I don’t get the SceneKit as a UI backend, not in he modern flat era.

There’s been three code names bandied around for the cross platform stuff. Marzipan, Amber and something else can’t remeber now off the top of my head. I’m guessing there’s three parts to the bigger picture

1. Declarative UI to make it easier to fit in on both platforms
    2. Using bit code to run on an arm Mac.
    3. ???

I think we’ll only see 1. As it can be disguised as a “we’ve made things easier” whilst not letting the cat out of the bag on ARM Macs.

I can totally see the SceneKitification of UI. depth has been a big part of Apple’s UI recently. iOS hasn’t been flat since iOS 7-8, it’s been slowly creeping back in.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but any major release, whether its a "feature release" or an "under-the-hood" release, will probably break other things. If Apple really wanted to improve iOS 11 they would keep doing smaller maintenance releases for longer. I'm not totally pooh-poohing the idea of an under-the-hood release, just that initially it has the potential to be just as buggy if not more so than a big feature release.

Well according all rumours iOS12 is going to be less about new features and more about stability so I think it's highly unlikely to be buggy upon final release.

There will be some changes like notification grouping.

A lot of new features being held back for iOS13 which is expected to be a big revamp.

Also event will be streamed on all platforms and browsers this time as opposed to just Apple Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I'd be happy if we just get a solid stability update to both iOS and macOS, along with a system-wide dark mode for both. I'm kinda curious about new MacBook's too, or some sort of update to those unreliable keyboards.

macOS will have a dark mode, it was actually only leaked earlier on this evening. Also Apple news app for mac confirmed too, although it’s not available in Ireland still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Running an 8 year old MacBook Pro and a 6 year old mac mini and dying to upgrade one or other. I hope there is some hardware announced or else something to go on to help with the wait.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Running an 8 year old MacBook Pro and a 6 year old mac mini and dying to upgrade one or other. I hope there is some hardware announced or else something to go on to help with the wait.

The Mac MINI will never be updated. When was the last time?

Reading up on the ARM stuff. Will it lead to the likes of AutoDesk dropping support for Macs? Or MS office applications etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Apple already have given devs the tools to migrate to ARM (or any chipset). Just use the standard SDK and compilers. Generally what is in xCode. Anything that eventually uses the compiler to generate code ( like react native) should also work.

So there’s probably no announcement there, unless there’s an actual device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Looks like new AirPods will be announced tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

faceman wrote: »
    Looks like new AirPods will be announced tomorrow.

Link?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They better release the case separately.

Or completely upgrade the airpods altogether!

If it’s the same airpods, and you can only get the case by buying airpods i’m gonna be pissed.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Probably just a new QI supported case.

Yeah that’s what I figure. Although I know they have been working on a new chip for them. Not sure if we will see a hardware change other than case

eeloe wrote: »
    Link?

Stock levels for AirPods in some countries are low or sold out with restock later this month.

eeloe wrote: »
    They better release the case separately.

Or completely upgrade the airpods altogether!

If it’s the same airpods, and you can only get the case by buying airpods i’m gonna be pissed.

Wow, you'd actually get drunk because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Always on display would be nice for the OLED iPhone X but i doubt Apple would think it's fair to the iPhone 8 users.

iOS 12 available on all devices that could run iOS11.

Looks like it’s gonna be a minimal iOS update this year. Hoping the Mac will get a bit of focus after the small updates the last year or two. watchOS has a lot of low hanging fruit too that Apple could add to it.

Why would anyone want to play with virtual lego?

Why would anyone want to play with virtual lego?

I know, next they''ll want us to watch a Lego film.

• Advertisement

Grouped notifications will be good.

Advertisement