Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC Monday June 4th.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Lots of fairly good customer facing things here. Not so much for devs though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"This year we're taking animoji to a whole new level..."

For the love of god, please don't.

"with tongue detection"

Is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get why Apple feel that Animojis are so important.

Surely they could do more with iMessage than that?

"Reply to " like what's app has would be useful.

not sure if that is available on all devices though.

murpho999 wrote: »

I am pretty sure it will be huge with teenagers when it is available more widely on cheaper devices.

• Advertisement

not sure if that is available on all devices though.

Do you mean Animojis? On the X only.
    I am pretty sure it will be huge with teenagers when it is available more widely.

Yes but how many of them buy iPhone X?

Also it's the only announced update on iMessage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I am pretty sure it will be huge with teenagers when it is available more widely on cheaper devices.
    targeting the snapchat natives

Talking meejios could be huge with the kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Who thought getting a woman to ride a bike on stage was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iOS was a lot bigger than I expected, watchOS was pretty small. Hoping macOS has a few nice features.

Not much had leaked in advance this year, was nice to get some actually surprises for once.

• Advertisement

This is an awful keynote. Better performance, group chat and group notification in iOS. New watch band. AppleTV still exists. That's it. Not enough for developers or users to justify a 2 hour keynote. I'm preparing myself for the worst for the Mac presentation.

This is an awful keynote. Better performance, group chat and group notification in iOS. New watch band. AppleTV still exists. That's it. Not enough for developers or users to justify a 2 hour keynote. I'm preparing myself for the worst for the Mac presentation.

I think there was some good customer stuff - rather more than I expected. I am not a watch user but there was a fair amount there.

There isn't much for developers but we knew that was the case. Next year is when they will do the big dev release with the OS/ Mac convergence api, and no doubt the final swift release.

( In fact I bet they are designing the stocks and news app already with that stuff)

Mr.S wrote: »
    Dark mode, finally.

Loving the new stacks feature too, that will be very handy in work.

wasn't that in OS 9?

I actually think it's been pretty good.

I think it's good they're focussing on performance issues within iOS that will lead to improvements.

Been more to Watch than a new band as well.

wasn't that in OS 9?

What OS is that?

What OS is that?

Mac OS 9

Next year is when they will do the big dev release with the OS/ Mac convergence api, and no doubt the final swift release.

( In fact I bet they are designing the stocks and news app already with that stuff)

Excellent guess Franz.

Mac OS 9

Not that I recall. But stacks has been supported in the OS X Dock since 10.5. They are just folders.

That Developers video made me think they had all died.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not a single new hardware piece announced :D

Does the new watch strap not count? :D

• Advertisement

It is not a hardware conference but Apple really should move away from loading so many releases at the end of the year.

I thought it was a good enough WWDC. A lot of user focused features this time around, and because not much leaked I was pleasantly surprised. I went into it thinking it would be a quiet year but theres definitely a few macOs and iOs features I'll look forward to in September.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I think releasing the AirPower and wireless charging AirPod case at the September even is going to hinder their sales.

Should have released them today, $250 on wireless accessories, and then $1000-1200 on a new device isn’t going to be possible for most people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Interesting, no AirPods announcement. Apple dropping the ball!

iPad is going the gesture route in iOS 12. The gestures from the iPhone X to go home (bottom swipe) and open control centre (swipe from top right) are now supported on the iPad. With the new dock they added its going to take two swipes from the bottom now to go home. Also looks good for a FaceID iPad this October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Best news I seen was that Carplay will now support Google Maps and other 3rd party traffic apps such as Waze

eeloe wrote: »
    I think releasing the AirPower and wireless charging AirPod case at the September even is going to hinder their sales.

Should have released them today, $250 on wireless accessories, and then $1000-1200 on a new device isn’t going to be possible for most people.

I think they'll just get released. They don't need events to launch accessories.

digiman wrote: »
    Best news I seen was that Carplay will not support Google Maps and other 3rd party traffic apps such as Waze

Do you mean that it will? As they announced that it would.

Unless you don't don't like 3rd party maps!

Great to see you no longer need to long press on apps in the multitask switcher before you can swipe them away. You just swipe up and dismiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Downloaded on iphone x, works a treat .

Advertisement