Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

so they are at least responding...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Is there a way to quickly take all your junk when you return to where you were killed? It’s annoying having to take each item while you are vulnerable to get killed again.

Edit: Ah. If I go to Transfer (X) then Take All (X) then Yes (A) that will do it.

Still 3 clicks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

god's toy wrote: »
    so they are at least responding...

This mess is a massive shítestain on Bethesda's credibility. They need something absolutely massive to wipe that clean. If only they'd sell the franchise back to inxile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

quarryman wrote: »
    Is there a way to quickly take all your junk when you return

I don't think they're doing refunds any more....

• _CreeD_ wrote: »
    I don't think they're doing refunds any more....

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Talk is cheap, as are promises. Let's see what they actually do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This mess is a massive shstain on Bethesda's credibility. They need something absolutely massive to wipe that clean. If only they'd sell the franchise back to inxile.

MS owns Inxile now, so there's no way that would ever happen.

Spear wrote: »
    MS owns Inxile now, so there's no way that would ever happen.

Yeah, seen that there last week, MS could fund a buyout/back of the franchise, though i seriously doubt it'd ever happen either.
    One can live in hope though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Given this game enough time already, I didn't mind the massive amount of bugs I've encountered but having the game freeze up and crash while I was just about to restart the Poseidon power plant was the final straw. Straight onto Amazon and got a full refund. Im a big Fallout fan and wanted to enjoy this game but when your forcing yourself to play it over read dead and god of war it's time to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have to say, it's a genuine shame to see the way Bethesda have gone about, not only 'Fallout 76', but their whole approach to the latest instalment of the series and their slight of hand too. They've become just another disingenuous megacorp that hires professional liars say a lot of shite on a stage to "present" their latest, less than stellar, product. I look and listen to Todd Howard and I don't believe a word he says. Just another bullshitter pretending that what he has to offer is good. Nothing more than a con man.

I'll admit, though, to being a bit of a fanboi of theirs, not in a ridiculous way mind you, but I do think their games are fantastic. That was up until 'Fallout 4', which I felt was too much of a repetition of 3 and New Vegas. Also, TBH, I'm kinda sick of the alt-1950's aesthetic now. I haven't even finished it. Not sure if I will.

However, I've been playing their games since I randomly bought 'Daggerfall' in the 90's, and they been largely excellent and absolutely worth the money I've given Bethesda, despite the odd bug popping up - which I often feel is way overblown by idiot gamers looking for shit to whine about and dickhead YouTubers looking for "content" for their "channel".

In saying that, I have seen a number of bugs in their games and they're largely of minimal impact. And while that is the case, I have often wondered if QA ever caught them and why they weren't fixed before release. But, I have only come across one game braking bug and that was in 'Skyrim', where I had to go to a castle to attend some party, but I could get on the cart to get there. I had to open the console and "cheat" my way to the party. No real biggie, but really annoying until I found a solution for it online.

That was on a PC, I have no idea how someone playing on a console would deal with a bug of that type - but I would never play a game of this type on a console anyway.

I used to work in QA and I can tell you that not every bug is possible to repo and often bugs will go out in software that have been through QA many times, through no fault of that department. QA can log their bugs, but if development doesn't fix them, there's not much the QA dept. can do and in a game like those in the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series, that is a vast, vast, VAST environment for which to test in. Plus, games companies are tied to release dates, often unrealistic release dates, that are agreed by suits that have no input in the development phase. The big salary "movers and shakers" of these mega-corporations who have no fucking idea what it takes to make a piece of software of this type, yet swagger in and order the people around who do.

That's not to make excuses for Bethesda. But reasons for things happening are different to excuses.

Game development, though, is in a weird place these days. I come form a time when there were no such things as "patches" for computer games. The very idea was ridiculous. You released your game when it was finished and it's ready for release. But, over time, it's become the norm for companies just to ship their goods, faults and all, and patch later. This has only gotten worse and worse and we've now reached a point where games are just released mid development and remain in Alpha or Beta forever, becasue their "early access", which is really just code for, "we'll probably never finish this"...Hello 'DayZ'! and is largely done to get around the outrage the gaming community makes when they buy a game and find it's riddled with irritating bugs.

That said, as a company Bethesda absolutely need to tighten their ship, not only about bugs going out in finished releases, but in their approach to how the sell the product too. People don't like being conned and many, many, people feel conned by 'Fallout 76'. That feeling doesn't go away lightly and Bethesda would be wise to take note of the criticism.

Now, I haven't played the game. But, from what I've seen, read and heard about I won't be. It looks like a disaster, so I'll avoid it. But, I really hope that Fallout's sister games, the Elder Scrolls (the better games IMO), isn't affected buy Bethesda's recent dodgy decisions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fallout 76 is what you get when all your talent are busy making a different game.

• It gets worse for them!

They 'ran out materials' for a 200 cash special edition

https://kotaku.com/200-fallout-76-edition-promised-fancy-bag-delivers-ny-1830724582/amp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No no no... they said it was 'too expensive to make' :rolleyes:

• No no no... they said it was 'too expensive to make' :rolleyes:

Check out the comments on this tweet haha brilliant

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1067981880597843968?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is my favourite one. Gotta say, I'm starting to like Bethesda with their **** you attitude.

https://twitter.com/Trance1349/status/1068065910542471169?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They're throwing the customer support guy who said the canvas bags were too expensive so they're not planning on doing anything to fix that under the bus now too.

https://old.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a19jr6/fallout_76_200_collectors_edition_comes_with/eaoaoqc/
    Thanks for tagging us in this post. We’re not sure if you've seen this make the rounds on various areas of the internet, yet, but we've made an official statement about this issue and included it below:

"The Bethesda Store's Support member is a temporary contract employee and not directly employed by Bethesda or Bethesda Game Studios. We apologize to the customer who took the time to reach out. The support response was incorrect and not in accordance with our conduct policy. Unfortunately, due to unavailability of materials, we had to switch to a nylon carrying case in the Fallout 76: Power Armor Edition. We hope this doesn’t prevent anyone from enjoying what we feel is one of our best collector’s editions."

Thanks again for tagging us and letting us know.

Edit: We are working with our CS team to provide 500 Atoms to Power Armor Edition purchasers. Please visit our Support article here that provides instructions on how to get in touch with them: https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/44432

So the customer support guy was wrong, but everything he said was basically right (until Bethesda saw the sh*tshow forming and decided to offer in-game credits to try make things right).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They just threw the customer support guy under a bus, and then agreed with what he said?

I didn't think it was possible for anyone to **** up a PR situation as badly as Bethesda are doing with this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

"due to unavailability of materials"

I never realised canvas was so rare.

DtJQBTOX4AAOTRm.jpg:large

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

those comments are cracking me up.

The best one was some asking what the conversion rate for atom bucks to shrute bucks was in stitches laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lone Stone wrote: »
    those comments are cracking me up.

The best one was some asking what the conversion rate for atom bucks to shrute bucks was in stitches laughing.

Yeah I just read on Kotaku (I think) Gamesradar that the 500 Atoms you get is only worth €5/$5/£4, which likely wouldn't make up the difference between the nylon and canvas bags, and the 500 Atoms in-game aren't enough to buy anything good in the game themselves (with most of the good stuff costing 1,200+ Atoms).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Collectors editions are almost always made with the cheapest of tat. Their mistake was naming an actual material, they backed themselves into a corner.

Gotta be sneaky, like Marvel vs Capcom's Infinity Stones...

19-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-special-collectors-edition-infinity-st.jpg

Infinity eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Borderlands 2 loot crate was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Penn wrote: »
    They're throwing the customer support guy who said the canvas bags were too expensive so they're not planning on doing anything to fix that under the bus now too.

So the customer support guy was wrong, but everything he said was basically right (until Bethesda saw the sh*tshow forming and decided to offer in-game credits to try make things right).
    Let's back up a sec...

The original question in the support ticket ended with "What are you planning to do about this?" and the utterly terrible response from a Bethesda Gear CS agent was "We aren't planning on doing anything about it". Now, once the response to that ticket was publicised online and that particular reply jumped upon by the internet, the countdown begun to that CS agent losing his job. Folk can claim they're being thrown under the bus if they want, but that's the most likely outcome of what's happened.

As for Bethesda themselves, ****'em, they missold a product and should be legally obliged to offer a full refund through their store if the correct item cannot be provided. The same should be said for any retailer who offered it.

Warner Bros pulled a similar stunt with the European version of the Batman Arkham Asylum CE way back when. The version advertised prior to launch was the US version and then, without any updates, released a different, inferior version, over here. Straight back to the store it went for a full refund and it shouldn't be any different in this scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness though, that was a pretty terrible response from the CS guy, I don't think he's being thrown under the bus at all.

Bethesda's general handling of the situation is equally as, if not actually much more, dire though. Here, have a few dollars worth of in-game currency that won't cost us a cent, and won't really enable you to even buy anything in the Atom store, either.

They should've at the very least had the sense to offer people 5,000 atoms after they spent $200 on the collectors edition. Wouldn't have impressed many regardless but at least it wouldn't have dragged them into a total joke like it is now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I firmly believe Bethesda ****ed up badly here, and deserve the further PR catastrophe.

I also firmly believe that tat-filled, over-expensive special editions such be purged from existence for the good of all humanity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And if you give someone that amount of fake currency to the point where they can buy legit decorations to feel a sense of pride in their base, then you're getting your claws in deeper as they'll feel more of a sense of ownership of their virtual goods and by proxy, the game world. But of course, the people who run these departments in these megacorps have no idea how to turn a problem into an opportunity because they're not game players themselves. I'll bet the poor sods actually answering the emails are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

iqw1ysd6s8121.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is my favourite one. Gotta say, I'm starting to like Bethesda with their **** you attitude.

https://twitter.com/Trance1349/status/1068065910542471169?s=19

Todd Howard really should be a Trailer Park Boys character...

Todd: "Fúckin' way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. That's the way she goes."

FO76 players: "This is fúcked..."

Advertisement