Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Didn't know that about the Nuke card. Good to know!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This article makes me want to buy FO76

Why buy it when you can Game Pass it? :pac:
    Groan. Not another "it's good now" article from an author who probably enjoyed the game to begin with but won't admit it. The core gameplay is still the same and you will need to play vanilla 76 in order to progress past a point in the Wastelanders DLC.

I wouldn't say that. I was not a fan of 76 when it first came out, but actually getting to play it once it came on Game Pass and it feels a fair bit more like an actual Fallout game with other people around.
    It's an enjoyable game if you pretend it's not an online game just avoid the online aspects like the plague if you can.

On the contrary, the online aspect is one of the better parts. The random moments of camaraderie when two of you end up randomly wandering in to each other at the same area and take out all the enemies around you is one of the more spontaneous, yet fun parts. Not to mention public teams and the new Daily Ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am playing this at the moment on Gamepass PC. It's actually quite good now, feels more like a normal Fallout game with the NPC's and radio station.

Mostly just free wandering the past 10 hours but it's grand. Obviously it will never be as good as a proper Fallout game conceived as a SP experience from the start, but it's worth trying on Gamepass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

*Shakes fist at smelly xbox gamepass*

It's only 15 in cex, not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

*Shakes fist at smelly xbox gamepass*

You can always get a Series S down the line dude.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    You can always get a Series S down the line dude.

And risk the wrath of my Sony overlords?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

And risk the wrath of my Sony overlords?????

For sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Homelander wrote: »
    I am playing this at the moment on Gamepass PC. It's actually quite good now, feels more like a normal Fallout game with the NPC's and radio station.

Mostly just free wandering the past 10 hours but it's grand. Obviously it will never be as good as a proper Fallout game conceived as a SP experience from the start, but it's worth trying on Gamepass.

Ye I've just started trying it on gamepass on my phone, only played a short bit of it too but in my head I'm treating it as a single player game(for now) and I'm enjoying it. Will probably keep at it for another while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Might download it and try it again. I didnt like the inventory management though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah its the same game with NPCs. I was bored of that gameplay loop in Fallout 4. What a waste of bandwidth.

Yeah its the same game with NPCs. I was bored of that gameplay loop in Fallout 4. What a waste of bandwidth.

Saves me the bother, thanks.

Would completely disagree that it's the same game. Not liking the structure or inventory management doesn't make it the same game. I bought it on launch, and disliked it, found it really boring and completely hollow after 8 or 9 hours played.

With Wastelanders it is really nothing like the originally released game, it's packed full of quests, characters, and stuff to do. I've barely even touched the main story and have only explored about 50% of the map with just wandering, fighting, doing side quests, and already at about 25 hours.

Fair enough, if you didn't really like Fallout 4, this is not even as good as that, but for those that do, 76 with Wastelanders is 100% better than launch Fallout 76 and far closer to just a decent generic Fallout game.

Don't get me wrong, people are perfectly entitled to think it's a pile of crap or a waste of time, by all means. And most definitely if you didn't like Fallout 4, there's nothing to like here either. But it's radically different to what it was on launch, practically a different game.

I can't see myself putting in anywhere close to what I did in FO3, Vegas or FO4 (about 200 hours each) but I'd say I'd easily pass 60-80 hours in this, which I'm actually considerably delighted about considering the really horrible state of the game of launch and the fact I gave up after 8 odd hours.

I got this yesterday, jaysus the 70gb update :pac:

Didn't get to play it as Among Us stole my night but reading up on the wastelanders update and quality of life updates including the level balancing last week, I'm really looking forward to playing it. I loved the building aspect in 4, didn't like map, main quest and most characters. I say i didn't enjoy 4 but i got the platinum and i only do that for games i like.

I remember playing the trial of this last year, leaving the vault and being greeted by 2 players beating each other with clubs and then started beating me really put me off and i uninstalled it after about 15 minutes. Sounds like now i really don't have to worry about pvp unless i want to engage and have 2 main quests to instantly follow.

I usually make a charisma build, is that worth it in this when only one main quest has npc's

I usually make a charisma build, is that worth it in this when only one main quest has npc's

Charisma is only really a thing for anything with teams, there are very few worthwhile perks outside of those (Tenderiser, Hard Bargain, Field Surgeon, Lone Wanderer).

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I will probably log in closer to Christmas when my Santa Claus outfit will be in fashion again.

So, much better start than my trial last year. Headed to Wayward Bar and it's a much more inviting way to much off your quest with overseer camp across the road, i like they linked both together. Also, Mort being voiced by Jason Mewes makes him my instant favourite character.

Actually enjoying wandering around, actual whiff of Fallout off it that i didn't get on my first attempt.

Only negative so far is the motion blur when i move the camera, it's horrible. No display/game settings seem to help, playing on a ps4 pro but this looks and feels like a ps3 game.

Edit: also, the flashlight in interiors. Dull and brown when it's off, super bright and green when it's on, almost unusable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So, much better start than my trial last year. Headed to Wayward Bar and it's a much more inviting way to much off your quest with overseer camp across the road, i like they linked both together. Also, Mort being voiced by Jason Mewes makes him my instant favourite character.

Actually enjoying wandering around, actual whiff of Fallout off it that i didn't get on my first attempt.

Only negative so far is the motion blur when i move the camera, it's horrible. No display/game settings seem to help, playing on a ps4 pro but this looks and feels like a ps3 game.

How do you find it difficulty wise? I kept running into high level enemies.

Ah I'm only fighting level 2 enemies at the moment and they are 1 or 2 hit kills. Update last week though fixed enemy levels and now no matter where you go, enemies will be matched with you instead of the highest level player in the area, supposed to be much better.

• Advertisement

Gone are the days of being a relatively low-level pleb and suddenly encountering a level 60+ albino yao guai that mauls you to death in two hits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I took the plunge this weekend like many taking advantage of it being on game-pass. I'm quite enjoying it, I actually like the sparsity of NPCs (vs. SP Fallout), there are enough to keep me moving and motivated without overloading on quest or story content. I can just enjoy exploring the world with occasional quests signaled as I rove around. The survival mechanics aren't overly restrictive and I think are balanced just right to help with immersion for a post-apocalyptic world. Audio is fantastic as usual, great soundtrack and solid voice acting. Graphics are hit and miss in that certain scenes can look absolutely gorgeous but pop-in and a drastic decrease in distance LoD can interfere badly (it's not subtle, it looks like the graphics drop off a time-travel cliff back to Fallout3 sometimes). Mostly it runs decently at 4k, sitting on or around 60fps but some areas do drop into the mid 40s/50s depending on scene complexity.
    I've about 15 hours in I think and at around the same level, difficulty has been fine, I've died twice and it was deserved. Enemies so far have been balanced well, no face-tanking but also not feeling like they are bullet sponges or that I'm made of glass. I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest, I don't see myself being a multi-hundred level player down the line but as part of the game-pass sub it's well worth a look now imho.

I'm really enjoying it but I think it helps being a new player. Like above, coming across the odd npc is nice, really feels like they are out here trying to survive. Missions have been fun so far and only did the vanilla ones. Ended up doing a daily event which was fun and that seasons thing looks great, unlocked some nice stuff already without trying.

I'm still yet to build a camp, haven't decided on a location, but feel I have enough supplies to start something anyway. I feel like I've already gotten my 15 quids worth anyway and looking forward to getting stuck in some more.

Also, came across some other players, we waved at each other and carried one, which was nice :)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Gone are the days of being a relatively low-level pleb and suddenly encountering a level 60+ albino yao guai that mauls you to death in two hits :rolleyes:

That still happens. Just the other day when I was only level 9 I got attacked by a Level 60 Deathclaw.

My weapons barely scratched it and I was dead in 2 hits.

The game is pretty good in general though, most enemies scale with you in a very large radius from Vault 76, it's the South to East side of the map where enemies tend to be higher level.

I'm level 22 now I think and I regularly take on level 40 Raiders and Super Mutants in those areas, but things like higher level Radscorpions and Death Claws are impossible.

I have always been a wanderer over an instant quest player, so already I have multiple suits of PowerArmor and Level 50 weapons from grinding against much higher level enemies (neither of which I can use, but can store for later)
    Also, came across some other players, we waved at each other and carried one, which was nice

I wasn't pushed about the MP side of it but actually I'm warming up to it a little. It's fun taking part in events with other players and most will give a friendly wave.

I've yet to be griefed by anyone in about 30 hours play, and one high-level guy yesterday made a "gift" emoji and dropped me 50 stimpaks and 50 Radaway when we were doing an event.

Another guy saved my ass when I was getting overwhelmed by Super-Mutants, some random 230-level guy appeared with a gatling-laser and tore them to shreds, gave a wave, and off he went.

It's such a shame the game didn't launch in this state. It's really, really fun and just a different kind of hybrid Fallout.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any xbox players wanna team up?

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest, I don't see myself being a multi-hundred level player down the line but as part of the game-pass sub it's well worth a look now imho.

If you want to 100% achievement the game, you will be :pac:
    That still happens. Just the other day when I was only level 9 I got attacked by a Level 60 Deathclaw.

My weapons barely scratched it and I was dead in 2 hits.

The game is pretty good in general though, most enemies scale with you in a very large radius from Vault 76, it's the South to East side of the map where enemies tend to be higher level.

Ah okay, if you're wandering away from the relatively comparative safety of the forest and whatnot then yes, it'll probably still happen. While One Wasteland does attempt to keep level balanced, I guess there are minimums and maximums based on area of the map. The only bits I've experienced is things maxing at 50-60 on the west side of the Savage Divide, and to the east stuff heads up towards 100.
    Guess I will need to make that second character soon to experience it on the sub-50 side of things.
    I've yet to be griefed by anyone in about 30 hours play, and one high-level guy yesterday made a "gift" emoji and dropped me 50 stimpaks and 50 Radaway when we were doing an event.

Given the amount of Stims and Rads we end up with thanks to the Daily Ops, distributing some to lower-levelled players is a great way to clear out weight from our inventory, especially when we've already made our 1400 daily caps from selling to the vendors :D

Found Overseer before i should have maybe just after finding her second journal. Headed to Morgantown and just exploring along the way. Did a few quests, up to level 7 and built my first camp. Awful location on a hill with no cover but it cleared off some quests that involved camp. I have a few things to do at the airport so the spot will do for now but it really looks like you can build some great stuff. Looks to be a ton of stuff in this and little stories everywhere you go. Not sure what what was added or what's vanilla bit it's a great package for me.

Advertisement