Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 76

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Charisma plays a big part in NPC vendor prices, but generally you pay 2.25× base price, and sell at about 15% base price. So guns are basically only good for scrap parts, unless they are high tier legendaries and you've already redeemed all your scrip for the day.

Ya I've scraping them all, any tips for making cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Ya I've scraping them all, any tips for making cash ?

If you're not a chem user, then you can make some decent money selling them off. Alternatively you could make you way selling cooked meats, or set up a bunch of industrial water purifiers in your camp and make some bank as a water trader.

Also consider the higher value legendaries. Some legendary weapons are worth a lot more than others in terms of caps, but have the same value in scrip. So it might be worth selling that 3-star Gatling Gun to a vendor and sticking the 3-star Rolling Pin into the legendary exchange machine instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TheChrisD wrote: »
    If you're not a chem user, then you can make some decent money selling them off. Alternatively you could make you way selling cooked meats, or set up a bunch of industrial water purifiers in your camp and make some bank as a water trader.

Also consider the higher value legendaries. Some legendary weapons are worth a lot more than others in terms of caps, but have the same value in scrip. So it might be worth selling that 3-star Gatling Gun to a vendor and sticking the 3-star Rolling Pin into the legendary exchange machine instead.

I'm in bad need of stimpaks , I had over 30 at one stage and I don't know how I got that many, only 9 left now and feck all caps to buy any :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

usually get a few from events. Do a few of the low level events to build them up.

I'm in bad need of stimpaks , I had over 30 at one stage and I don't know how I got that many, only 9 left now and feck all caps to buy any :o.

I tend to end up with far too many - Daily Ops are actually a decent source of a bunch once you get the chance to loot the bodies. Well, that and I run the Healing Factor mutation, so once I leave combat I'm back to full :o

But yes, at lower levels important things like that will generally be scarce and take some time to accumulate. In fact, I'd almost say your best source of income at that point would either be bulk junk, or selling off all your grenades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

giving this another go. hearing good things. gonna start from scratch this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

In addition to doing events for misc. items (generally a lot of Aid items) don't be shy about taking over a Workshop. Besides the resources and items you gain from harvesting there each defend event (usually every 30 mins or so) gives you similar rewards to public events. There is a risk of PvP there but I'm about 80 hours in now and haven't had one person attack me, anyone who has turned up at my workshops has usually had a look around and/or helped defend before moving on. Since you can hop servers to get an empty instance of the workshop you want the only real driver to take or have one taken by another player is the desire for PvP itself.
    Similarly for your economy in general as much as caps can be rare it's a good idea to mitigate what you are spending on, find alternate sources. Workshops again can help here, particularly for me I originally spent a lot on Ammo which is not an issue now after finding the 'Converted Munitions Factory' and it's ammo machine. (fully list here: https://www.falloutbuilds.com/t/fallout-76-workshop-locations/ ). For plans try zipping around the other player bases with Vendors attached (big green V on their camp icon). You'll usually find 1 or 2 per instance selling at massively discounted prices, I sell all of mine at 1-10c max and I've seen a lot of others do the same. Only spend at an NPC vendor if you really need that plan.
    I'm not loaded or anything right now, sitting at around 2K caps, but my economy has at least stabilised using these simple methods.

PS - on the workshop thing you should watch a tutorial on them. There's not much to it once you know what to do but I see a lot of new folks making the same mistakes I did initially. Firstly not building extractors (the resources don't just come to you without them) and then not powering them (same effect). Resources used for construction showing in green are from that workshop's local pool so do not come out of your own, though you can construct more than it initially allows with your own assisting. Similarly you can't take any constructed things with you (and scrapping yields nothing or next to). So treat everything you build as temporary and purely for the instance. If you do invest your own resources it should only be for when you are sure the rewards will be worth it, so a longer session is ideal. Besides the Munitions factory Poseidon Energy's 'powering up' event is worth doing until it gives you the reactor blueprint (I think I got it after the second run), that will let you power an entire workshop and defenses from one reactor and save a lot in future.

Up until tonight I'd killed 2 scorchbeasts, one at around level 30 as I hid in a building and it landed and just let me slowly ping it to death, the other around lvl 40 during a Fort Defiance event with the eventual help of a couple of much high level players. Since I primarily currently play a stealth rifle user that's pretty much useless against them later game (now at lvl 87) I've been avoiding them but did put the last few perk points into an alternate card set for miniguns and was slowly building up a half decent Power Armour (60% T60, 40% Ultracite).
    I started the Belly of the Beast quest and did some of those for Watoga and from the time I entered the Bog it was non-stop fkn scorchbeasts. Took out the first by luring it to one of the missile/firebases and thankfully it dropped a decent single-star but armour-piercing MG. Another 2 popped up during the Watoga missions, then at the last point above ground for Belly of the Beast there were 3 legendary SBs...I killed one after an age kiting them back to a firebase, ran out of ammo and ran like hell until i could fast-travel and do some rounds to build up a mass of MG ammo. Went back through the mission and at the final boss room 1 of the SBs from above glitched through the cavern so I had to face 2, the glitchy one could still fly through the rock and attack at will.
    Thank god for that Power Armour. I was exhausted afterwards, but god was it a fun few hours. Came away with enough ultracite to finish out the set on the Power Armour aswell as filling out the basic MG perks so no more running from the bastages, well one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Anyone paying the €15/month? It seems mad money, more than PS+ or Netflix or most other subscriptions.

Also had some level 400+ on my server last night. Does the game have that much content?

I did the free trial of fallout 1st. The scrapbox was very useful.
    Other than that it's not for me.
    If you were planning on buying Atoms though it makes sense as you get 1650 atoms free with the sub per month.
    As its about 500 atoms for a fiver the sub looks good value if you are a spender.
    Oh and i saw a player at level 1032 a few days back.
    If you are grinding away doing seasons you can level up quickly enough. Get the xp boosting foods etc to help.

• Advertisement

Jacovs wrote: »
    Also had some level 400+ on my server last night. Does the game have that much content?

Nope. I was pretty much already just on the repeatables by about 70-something. But it's the repeatables that give the endgame content and the top-tier weapons so...

Not that levelling is all that hard once you start stacking all the possible boosters. Heck, these past couple double XP periods have caused me to shoot up about 70 levels over the past few weeks.

any workaround for base placing issue? i have to rebuild my entire base every time i move, very annoying. i get the stored base to go green, but i get the dreaded "Cannot place item: Needs support" message. the base is just two foundation pieces so should be simple to place.

On the topic of base building, it seems ive picked a popular spot for mine as I nearly always have to reload the game to find a server with the available space.

What happens if I choose to move my base instead? The whole thing can be moved, or it all moves to storage and I have to rebuild it in a new location?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

On the topic of base building, it seems ive picked a popular spot for mine as I nearly always have to reload the game to find a server with the available space.

What happens if I choose to move my base instead? The whole thing can be moved, or it all moves to storage and I have to rebuild it in a new location?

U can save your build I think as a blueprint and just pop it down again.

U can save your build I think as a blueprint and just pop it down again.

Thanks for that, will try that. Only level 17 and have a few things needs doing near the airport so might be best suited to move it there somewhere.

froog wrote: »
    any workaround for base placing issue? i have to rebuild my entire base every time i move, very annoying. i get the stored base to go green, but i get the dreaded "Cannot place item: Needs support" message. the base is just two foundation pieces so should be simple to place.

Eh, not sure. Even the blueprinting system is very picky for anything that's bigger than basically one foundation. Tends to be why people pick one place to set up and never move again unless they actually want to rebuild from scratch.

If you choose to stay on the server, your Camp doesn't appear. You get the option to move it for free and rebuild from scratch somewhere new, or you can leave it and get your original Camp back as intended when you log onto a new server that doesn't have a conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Thanks for that, will try that. Only level 17 and have a few things needs doing near the airport so might be best suited to move it there somewhere.

For early levels I tend to just throw out the few bits I need in a handy location near where I'm playing rather than building a camp proper. I'll move it about pretty regularly. Only when I'm more established and have learned a bunch of plans (and want vendors on) will I build a proper camp - then I'll tend to spend quote a while building it and leave it in one place for weeks/months

I've only moved mine twice. First build was random, then I moved it and put in some time up near the North West and stayed there for probably levels 10-80. I just moved it again to a much better location with Junk/Lead onsite but had already resolved to having to do a full rebuild. The terrain is just too different to rely on it transferring. I wonder if you build 100% in the air, minus one floor+stair set to position it if that would remove the issue. I do have some ground level stuff with water purifiers and crops but they can be pulled up pre-move. Will test it out next time.

the moving problem is definitely issues with foundation. i have a "floating" house attached via stairs to two foundation blocks and always had to rebuild every time. so i blueprinted the entire main floating portion of the base minus the foundation. i just rebuild the foundation and the blueprint attaches fine now every time. only problem is the blueprint budget is pretty small, you need a fairly small base.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Started playing this on game pass for PC last week, its fcuking amazing.
    Ive hit lvl 62 and subbed to fallout 1st lastnight.

Really struggling with ammo though.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Started playing this on game pass for PC last week, its fcuking amazing.
    Ive hit lvl 62 and subbed to fallout 1st lastnight.

Really struggling with ammo though.

A major part of playing is gathering those resources for Ammo. Gets easier and using the ammo converter helps.
    Regular runs in the likes of flatwoods, charlston fire station and vault tec university for dumbbells is what got me through that phase in the game

sundodger5 wrote: »
    A major part of playing is gathering those resources for Ammo. Gets easier and using the ammo converter helps.
    Regular runs in the likes of flatwoods, charlston fire station and vault tec university for dumbbells is what got me through that phase in the game

Is the ammo convertor a reputation reward?

60+ levels in a week? Thats some going. Im only level 22 I think, only been a week or 2 on PC too. Although only about 24 hours in game, and half those are spent traveling to and from my camp and trying to organise my stash and inventory.

But I have more than enough ammo at this stage and a lot of material to craft a lot more too.

What ammo do you go through most?

60+ levels in a week? Thats some going. Im only level 22 I think, only been a week or 2 on PC too. Although only about 24 hours in game, and half those are spent traveling to and from my camp and trying to organise my stash and inventory.

But I have more than enough ammo at this stage and a lot of material to craft a lot more too.

What ammo do you go through most?

Yeah at lvl 24 i spammed the events over the weekend with the double xp, now back to normal quests etc :P

As for ammo im just going with whatever weapon is is effective so havent settled on anything yet.
    I using a claw melee thingy and stealth chest piece for stealth kills purely to save on ammo but dont want to melee longterm.

Just for anyone on gamepass on PC, i couldnt but fallout 1st as it brought me to the microsoft store to opt in but when i went to pay it wanted a USA address only, [nothign to do with location settings my end as i checked that]
    I asked on the official bethesda forums and got a response from them officially and they hadnt a clue, advised to contact support etc etc.

I decided to buy the game from instant gaming for €13 and redeemed on bethesda launcher then got fallout 1st without issue.

My sub to game pass is out ina few weks anyways, just a heads up to people, very silly to offer the game on game pass yet unable to sign up for fallout 1st, thankfully my account and progression transferred alright.

Is the ammo convertor a reputation reward?

I got mine in the previous seasons thingy. The legendary run.
    According to google it is a reputation thing.
    Once friendly with the raiders it can be bought for bullion from mortimer.

Just for anyone on gamepass on PC, i couldnt but fallout 1st as it brought me to the microsoft store to opt in but when i went to pay it wanted a USA address only, [nothign to do with location settings my end as i checked that]
    I asked on the official bethesda forums and got a response from them officially and they hadnt a clue, advised to contact support etc etc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/fallout-1st-windows/cfq7ttc0lmc9 doesn't work, no? :confused:

Its working there now, definitely wasnt the last 2 days.

For Ammo:
    - PASSIVE - Take the 'Converted Munitions Factory' workshop, it has an ammo machine that just takes 20 power to run. Also you can set your own camp Collectron to hunt for ammo, it's a trickle but it helps.
    - CRAFTING - Collect all the lead you can, gunpowder and steel scraps tend to come easily. Gunpowder can also be created at a chemist bench in large quantities for little resources. When crafting equip the Luck/Super Duper (30% chance for double the amount) and Agility/Ammosmith (80% more rounds when crafting ammo) standard perks. Also since you're past lvl 50 you can equip the Legendary/Ammo Factory perk for another 75% extra rounds (at lvl2). Between them you will churn out a mass of ammo for little resource usage.
    Here's a vid on a good Lead collection loop (with Fallout 1st do it on a personal world). Also watch out for cans/can-alarms as a good source.

Advertisement