Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 76

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

there's an "ammo factory" legendary perk too which gives you 50% more ammo from crafting you can equip very early (level 1 i think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

froog wrote: »
    there's an "ammo factory" legendary perk too which gives you 50% more ammo from crafting you can equip very early (level 1 i think?)

You can only equip it from the start if you already have another character that's at least Level 50 to unlock the first legendary perk slot for your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Don't bother with the munitions factory workshop - you'll spend a ton of ammo getting it and keeping it, you get bugger all back and you'll make yourself a target for anyone who wants to claim it without having to clear it out first...

Ammosmith, Super Duper, and Ammo factory legendary perk will be your friends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

BeardySi wrote: »
    Don't bother with the munitions factory workshop - you'll spend a ton of ammo getting it and keeping it, you get bugger all back and you'll make yourself a target for anyone who wants to claim it without having to clear it out first...

Ammosmith, Super Duper, and Ammo factory legendary perk will be your friends

All possible downsides but I've never had someone try to take a workshop from me, and I don't find it hard taking or defending them afterwards (though I do have full defense crafting and basically build impregnable firebases around them :) ). Clearing and defending also bring their own rewards. But ultimately yes workshops can get in the way of general play and the perks matter more, they just take time to build with your characters whereas the workshop stuff having no levelling dependancies helps earlier on.
    Right now I'm finally sitting on a ton of ammo and lead but to get here I signed up for Fallout 1st, probably just for one month but we'll see, then every 3-4 days do an extended farm session on a private world. Typically I'll take the Converted Munitions Factory/Charleston Landfill/Federal Disposal Field/Hemlock Holes workshops and cycle around defending and collecting for a few hours in between quick activities. Not the most exciting game sessions but plenty of XP and both harvested and event reward resources.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To update on my ammo issues i met a random Irish guy on a casual team and he crafting the railway gun for me that uses steel only to craft its ammo and this has helped bigtime plus the thing is a bit of a beast.
    I never really bothered too much with vats in 76 but this yoke with vats is excellent, the guy that crafted it said use with vats and enjoy, he was very definitely correct.

Meanwhile i built the excavator power armour mentioned in that video above.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    To update on my ammo issues i met a random Irish guy on a casual team and he crafting the railway gun for me that uses steel only to craft its ammo and this has helped bigtime plus the thing is a bit of a beast.
    I never really bothered too much with vats in 76 but this yoke with vats is excellent, the guy that crafted it said use with vats and enjoy, he was very definitely correct.

Meanwhile i built the excavator power armour mentioned in that video above.

Sorry forgot to mention the Railway gun, I got a nice 3-Star legendary one at level 30 that really helped for exactly this reason. It was my fallback whenever other ammo was running low. I only retired it around level 80. No VATS though, I know gun-play in this is janky but I hate that thing :).

@ Creed so i walked myself through that video step by step and doubt ill have any real lead issues in the future.
    The mine in particular with excavator power armour was great but i might have to look into the acid farming he done as i skipped that part but see i need acid to smelt to lead ore.

I done it all on my private server, any ideas what the respawn rates are or can one server hop with private server??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I haven't run the mine in ages. Normal scrapping of anyting I find with lead and regular runs of the Lode Baring event keep my pistols and .50cal fed. I've got my camp in an acid deposit so I never run short.

Dcully wrote: »
    @ Creed so i walked myself through that video step by step and doubt ill have any real lead issues in the future.
    The mine in particular with excavator power armour was great but i might have to look into the acid farming he done as i skipped that part but see i need acid to smelt to lead ore.

I done it all on my private server, any ideas what the respawn rates are or can one server hop with private server??

The Hemlock Holes workshop has 3 Acid Deposits (that's what he covers in the section you missed so no need to rewatch). It's one of the harder ones to defend though imho, even with good sight lines the turret AI behaves inconsitently and has RadScorpions/Anglers in it's attacker pool. But you're a high enough level to deal with them, I advise definitely building on platforms there to save resources.

Resource respawning is less consistent. I've found containers seem to be on a 24hr real time period but the lead weights not, they may be on play time. I haven't reliably scheduled enough farming runs yet to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thanks for the ammo tips guys. I went from struggling from raid to raid to now having almost 1,000 50cal and .45 rounds after 2 hours of lead scavenging.

Let the wasteland bloodbath commence!

• Advertisement

what build are people going? i'm going for a "shotgun tank" build at the moment. some points in rifles too as my secondary weapon. lots of points in quality of life stuff, ammo, lockpick, hacking etc. i may be too spread out with my points but we'll see.

I didn't really start with a build goal beyond focusing on non-auto rifle damage, so targetted perception. As I played I got so frustrated with the inventory weight limits that I spec'd a lot into strength and wanted to also focus on crafting so also went into Intelligence. Agility is probably next to pair Sneak skills with the suppressed rifles, after that just bare minimums to allow the perks I really wanted. I like the fact that you can flip normal perk cards at any time for free to swap in and out of resource/lock-picking/hacking skills with more damage and survival when needed. Also there is a legendary perk that at level 0 gives you +3 to lock-pick and hacking so you can then reuse or reallocate the points you put into their respective specials (or swap to other perks). I was tempted to re-allocate some of the strength points now inventory isn't so much of a problem but it actually works well when I need to switch to a raw damage/tank build with Power-Armour and Minigun, I just swap out my Strength carry perks for minigun damage. I doubt I'll have multiple characters so will probably not min-max, I like this flexibility on the current.

Originally, pre-One Wasteland, I was all about the single-shot rifles. Post-1W though, and as I've levelled up a decent bit, it's a definite mixed bag, but it's almost half and half split between automatic rifles and heavy weapons.

The main issue with trying to stay spec'd into rifles is they weigh so god-damn much. Every other weapon class (pistol/melee/heavy/explosive) has perks for massive weight reduction, while rifles have nothing; to the extent where my first three weapons (Lever-Action/Auto Tesla Rifle/Fixer) combined weigh about the same as the ten or so heavy guns and 90% reduced weight melee weapons I also carry around (including stuff like Gatling Gun/Flamer/Gat Plasma/50 cal/LMG and more).

For perks though, I don't take any raw damage boosters. Especially now that they work additively, so for some guns the overall effect is minimal. Mostly I focus on indirect damage effects and a whole lot of utility and weight reduction. In fact my current loadout (at level 230-something, with four special Legendary perks) is:
    • S 13 - Bandolier, Bear Arms, Full Charge, Incisor, Traveling Pharmacy
    • P 12 - Green Thumb, Ground Pounder, Long Shot, Pannapictagraphist, Percepti-bobble, Tank Killer
    • E 4 - Aquaboy, Cola Nut, Good Doggy
    • C 6 - Field Surgeon {shared}, Travel Agent, Team Medic/EMT/Friendly Fire/Hard Bargain (swap as necessary)
    • I 11 - Batteries Included, Gunsmith, Stabilized (swap into others such as: Armorer, Chemist, Fix it Good, Makeshift Warrior, Power Smith, Power Patcher, the Sciences, Weapon Artisan for crafting and repairing)
    • A 13 - Adrenaline, Thru-Hiker, Covert Operative/Action Boy (swap during Daily Ops), Escape Artist, Light Footed (also have Ammosmith)
    • L 9 - Starched Genes, Class Freak, One Gun Army/Super Duper/Good With Salt/Grim Reaper's Sprint/Luck of the Draw/Lucky Break (all swapped as needed)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    • S 13 - Bandolier, Bear Arms, Full Charge, Incisor, Traveling Pharmacy
    • P 12 - Green Thumb, Ground Pounder, Long Shot, Pannapictagraphist, Percepti-bobble, Tank Killer
    • E 4 - Aquaboy, Cola Nut, Good Doggy
    • C 6 - Field Surgeon {shared}, Travel Agent, Team Medic/EMT/Friendly Fire/Hard Bargain (swap as necessary)
    • I 11 - Batteries Included, Gunsmith, Stabilized (swap into others such as: Armorer, Chemist, Fix it Good, Makeshift Warrior, Power Smith, Power Patcher, the Sciences, Weapon Artisan for crafting and repairing)
    • A 13 - Adrenaline, Thru-Hiker, Covert Operative/Action Boy (swap during Daily Ops), Escape Artist, Light Footed (also have Ammosmith)
    • L 9 - Starched Genes, Class Freak, One Gun Army/Super Duper/Good With Salt/Grim Reaper's Sprint/Luck of the Draw/Lucky Break (all swapped as needed)

Are you using Legendaries to boost specials? I knew you could boost the base value but didn't realise it also allowed more standard perk capacity, more that it would just boost the passives from them. Guess it makes sense though :o

Yep, four of my five slots are Legendary special in various levels (the other being Ammo Factory). I just don't see much use in many of the other legendaries; at least not for a character that is already set up with perks and a large supply of aid (so no need for Survival Shortcut or What Rads), has already completed the story (Master Infiltrator), and has a good source of Fusion Cores (Electric Absorption, Power Sprinter).

getting real sick of non automatic rifles. so slow to reload. going to switch to auto energy rifles.

getting real sick of non automatic rifles. so slow to reload.

Get the Ground Pounder perk in Perception. 30% faster reloads on all rifles (the perk description is inaccurate). Combine with Speed Demon mutation for total half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Still using rifles for main playthrough. Might use the same rifle twice, each for different type of ammo.

All Eyes On Rafah

I completely ignored Fallout 4 but playing 76 is making me want to check it out all this time later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Started this on the series x this morn . First time playing it . Really liking it so far .

• Advertisement

finally got my first automatic receiver for my handmade, probably had to scrap 100 crafted handmades for it. worth it.

level 57 now. probably only half way through the main quests. is the endgame just doing the one daily ops mission and the other regular events over and over? doesn't sound too well thought out tbh. why did they remove the vault raids? they sounded like fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

level 57 now. probably only half way through the main quests. is the endgame just doing the one daily ops mission and the other regular events over and over? doesn't sound too well thought out tbh. why did they remove the vault raids? they sounded like fun
    Seems that way. The seasons event keeps you doing that to get the items.
    That said the new BoS content will be out soon afaik.

level 57 now. probably only half way through the main quests. is the endgame just doing the one daily ops mission and the other regular events over and over? doesn't sound too well thought out tbh.

Pretty much, Daily Op + repeatable daily faction quests (for reputation and/or Treasury Notes) + public events (for more Treasury Notes) tends to be the endgame; at least until the point where you've gotten everything that you can buy with gold bullion. Some variety generally comes in from the daily and weekly SCORE challenges. You may also decide to add nuke runs into that list as well if you're the kind of person who goes through a ton of ultracite ammo.

The Steel Dawn update accidentally released early on Xbox/Win 10, which left a lot of players unable to play because mismatched clients.

So instead of fixing the issue, Beth are instead releasing Steel Dawn for everyone TONIGHT - https://twitter.com/bethesdasupport/status/1331342816346255363

Servers have gone down, and will be down until about 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Went back to this after a couple of months of other games and having a blast. My camp is still just a floor and some workstations but I'm chugging along in the main quests, doing a treasure hunt for Rose so not sure how much of the main vanilla quest is left. Then onto the wastelanders quest and then brotherhood of steel. Lots of side quests available and constant multiplayer events, lots of fun.

My main gripes are the lack of repair kits so finding it hard to keep onto a good weapon and my carry weight is always on the verge of going over even though it doesn't seem like I'm carrying much.

Really recommend it if anyone was put off from the original launch.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    My main gripes are the lack of repair kits so finding it hard to keep onto a good weapon and my carry weight is always on the verge of going over even though it doesn't seem like I'm carrying much.

Improved kits are almost a guarantee from SBQ, Project Paradise, and Encryptid. Heck, I ended up with so many I had to throw a hundred into my stash to help my carry weight problems...

Speaking of carry weight, everything weighs a ton to start until you can get some of the various weight reduction perks and/or armour. Stick to a much smaller amount of stuff you carry, or make sure you get the large backpack optionally with the high capacity mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Didn't even know there were backpacks. Googled it and you get a small one from the scouts missions. I came across them but seemed grindy. Any other way to get one?

Nope, 'tis a lengthy grind. Especially for some of the badges, like needing to craft Robot Armour and use Stimpack Diffusers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

It is a grind but worth it once you have the bigger back pack and a mod that suits it makes a big difference.
    Also look at foods that boost carry weight.
    Grilled radstag is my go to. Plus 20.
    Also rad ant lager for a "get me back to camp" short lived boost. Plus 50.

Advertisement