Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Cosgrave is moaning about the Government again.

Options
  • 30-05-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Linky

Paddy is complaining about the costs of rent and housing in Dublin, and has, in a characteristic offer of selfless generosity, added a mortgage/rent supplement to the package of benefits he gives his employees.

A few things about this makes my balls tighten in anger;

(1) His bull**** benefit is only available if your accommodation is within 2km of headquarters. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that's where Paddy and his buddies live.

(2) The lads who he has running the floor of his Tech/Web/**** Summit are unpaid interns, will Paddy talk about unscrupulous employers taking advantage of the unemployed, of course not.

(3) Calling the Government out as aristocratic, this is just a continuation of his Government slagging that he's been at since Enda Kenny refused to give him a bunch of services on the Government dime rather than pay for them himself.

Anyone else angered about this entitled prick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

He's not the messiah, he just organises stupid conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,348 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

srsly78 wrote: »
    He's not the messiah, he just organises stupid conferences. he's just a very naughty boy

FYP as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I just love the fact that the Web Summit guy has called his kid Cloud!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The last thing we need in a democracy is people criticising the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

He cites example that Air Bnb can't get top talent to Dublin headquarters so all big decisions are made in London..........where housing is twice the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Cites example that Air Bnb can't get top talent to Dublin headquarters so all big decisions are made in London..........where housing is twice the price.

If they can't get toptalent to come to Dublin perhaps they're not paying top talent money...

Kinda how that works in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Cosgrave is a Bullsh1t artist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He's a bit of a spa alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Red_Wake wrote: »

We should have a whiparound to get him a one way flight to Lisbon, since its so great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This guy and his company seem to be the equivalent of the Iona Institute.

Nobody listens to what they say or agree with their opinion but they still get media attention and airtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

Who pissed on everyones cornflakes here today? He said that the cost of living in Dublin is going up which makes it harder to hire people and makes the city less competitive. Nothing in that is wrong or even debatable. Yoiu might not like him but it doesn't make what he's saying any less true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He cites example that Air Bnb can't get top talent to Dublin headquarters so all big decisions are made in London..........where housing is twice the price.

Oh god, is he that stupid? Air Bnb help drive up prices ffs. He can't help but put his foot in his mouth can he.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

markpb wrote: »
    Who pissed on everyones cornflakes here today? He said that the cost of living in Dublin is going up which makes it harder to hire people and makes the city less competitive. Nothing in that is wrong or even debatable. Yoiu might not like him but it doesn't make what he's saying any less true.

Everybody knows this and we don't need him in the media to remind us.

He's constantly bashing Ireland and has an amazingly high opinion of himself for being able to organise conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

But it's the combination of him playing Captain Bleedin' Obvious about the issues addressed with the pronouncement of his own self-aggrandizing generosity that irks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Linky

(1) His bull**** benefit is only available if your accommodation is within 2km of headquarters. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that's where Paddy and his buddies live.

Exactly. The benefit is equivalent of one month's salary (let's say 1200, so 100 a month) that is surely taxed, and only available if you live in some of the most expensive rental areas in the city.

This BS is good for generating headlines with a very limited financial exposure to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

murpho999 wrote: »
    Everybody knows this and we don't need him in the media to remind us.

He's constantly bashing Ireland and has an amazingly high opinion of himself for being able to organise conferences.

He doesn’t even seem to organise them
    particularly well, unless the sole goal is to maximise profits.

People who paid up to a thousand euro weren’t even able to get in to the opening a couple of years back. They tweeted not to worry there was a screen set up to watch 🙄🙄. A grand and ya couldn’t even get in the door!

https://amp.independent.ie/business/technology/i-have-a-ticket-and-cant-get-in-some-web-summit-attendees-watch-opening-ceremony-from-outside-35197127.html

They also faced criticism for wanting speakers/hosts without being willing to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He’s an amazing man. We need to do everything that we can to get the Web Summit back. Losing that has cost us billions and trillions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He’s an amazing man. We need to do everything that we can to get the Web Summit back. Losing that has cost us billions and trillions.

These millions are small, but those billions are far away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They also faced criticism for wanting speakers/hosts without being willing to pay them.

This does'nt stop today's IRISH TIMES Friday 1 June from their predictable glorifying adulation of Paddy in their Business This Week supplement.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Paddy Cosgrave can f*ck right off. And when he is done f*cking off, he can f*ck off some more.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Paddy Cosgrave can f*ck right off. And when he is done f*cking off, he can f*ck off some more.

I thanked your post. But there should be a 'thankier' option, or an option to add multiple thanks!

I'm getting sick of seeing posts I wish I'd thought of:o

But he's a modern day Steve Jobs....... of the conference world!!

hqdefault.jpg

FFIG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Who the fcuk is Paddy Cosgrave, couldn't be arsed googling him?

Who the fcuk is Paddy Cosgrave, couldn't be arsed googling him?

He arranges a conference called 'Web Summit' where internet type people get together and talk about internet type things. It was held in Dublin until recently as the Irish Government didn't want to fund it, or provide massive concessions to them, so they moved it to Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I agree with this statement. While i dont have much time for him either, he is the only CEO or major employer coming forward and saying these truths. Imagine Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Salesforce et al coming forward and saying - "our staff cannot get affordable accommodation, do something about it or we may be forced to move in the not so distant future." The government would act fast!

This will be a pandemic of epic proportions once the brexit jobs come on stream and i dont feel like we are taking this issue too seriously. It appears to be "well i am alright now, no need to rock the boat".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I agree with this statement. While i dont have much time for him either, he is the only CEO or major employer coming forward and saying these truths. Imagine Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Salesforce et al coming forward and saying - "our staff cannot get affordable accommodation, do something about it or we may be forced to move in the not so distant future." The government would act fast!

This will be a pandemic of epic proportions once the brexit jobs come on stream and i dont feel like we are taking this issue too seriously. It appears to be "well i am alright now, no need to rock the boat".
    I hope you're taking the piss, they employ 170 people across 5 sites. Even if the majority of those are in Ireland, that's small potatoes in a city the size of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I hope you're taking the piss, they employ 170 people across 5 sites. Even if the majority of those are in Ireland, that's small potatoes in a city the size of Dublin.

i meant to say "major".......they have a large media presence. and even barring them and their work force my point still stands. is that all you took issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

i meant to say "major".......they have a large media presence. and even barring them and their work force my point still stands. is that all you took issue with?
    The Soc Dems and AAA/PBP have a large media presence all year round and **** all actual support when an election rolls around. That should tell you how good the Irish media are at judging what the public is interested in.

On your other points, any jobs coming to Ireland as a consequence of Brexit will be a trickle rather than a flood. It takes years to build up expertise in new sites, and months to build a small capability in an existing site. The City of London finance sector will wither over the course of years rather than months.

All of the companies you've listed have as many problems recruiting due to a shortage of qualified staff being available[IT courses in colleges, despite continued growth, are still not producing enough graduates for their needs]. Paddy doesn't have that problem because most of his workforce is "employed"[in fact they're volunteers] for a few days around the conference acting as guides,etc which is semi skilled work at best so any pleb can do it.

Comparing WebSummit to Microsoft, Apple, etc is pretty facile. May as well compare a lumber yard to a McDonald's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I actually thought "fair play" when I first heard of his housing-subsidy initiative. Then I read the small print.

It only applies (as far as I remember) if the employee lives within 2km of the office. Is there not a housing problem in the other 90% of Dublin?

So either:

1. He's using this as a way to encourage employees to live closer to the office (easier to get them to spend more time in the office)

or

2. He knows he has sh*te all employees living that nearby, so it's a relatively cheap way for him to look like a good guy while having a pop at the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not angered, just dont pay attention to it.

I wouldn't say entitled, fair play to him. He spearheads and incredibly popular conference that generates a wealth of traffic and economy to the surrounding areas it resides. The only entitlement factor is him thinking he invented conferences, and that is makes him a big deal. It's no big deal.

It makes news because he has been given a profile and because he, and in fairness rightly so, is a revenue generator complaining about the government

Many people do, and they get a platform of it because of their profile. This isn't new. There are people that celebrate or share stories or videos from other profile characters doing the same thing, but are pure hypocrites about it or have no idea of the subject.

Only issues I have in the whole thing is those conferences themselves.

Advertisement