Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks Westmoreland Street gone?

Options
  • 30-05-2018 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

The old Bewleys? Just gone past on the bus and the windows are whited out.

Anyone know if it's being renovated by Bewleys now the Grafton Street one is back open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, there's one right across the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, there's one right across the street...

Well that answers a question I didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TLtraveller18

It was always a big store that was regularly empty at peak times so I can only assume they didn't make the revenue to hold the store and thus have had to put it back up on the market as the above user said there is one directly across the street so no one loses out really just it won't be in such an iconic building

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Good riddance!

Definitely not a refurb for bewleys just some sense being shown by StarDollars.
    Only 50 of them left in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

There's literally half a dozen Starbucks within 250m of the place. It's not surprising that it's gone.

It's just a bit sad that we've had Starbucks take the place of old landmarks like Bewleys and the White horse/Dark horse in the first place. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Starbucks now open inside the Mater Hospital, I did a double take when I saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Starbucks now open inside the Mater Hospital, I did a double take when I saw it

One in Tallaght Hosp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm not a coffee snob but jesus how do people drink that stuff? Even their tea is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm not a coffee snob but jesus how do people drink that stuff? Even their tea is vile.

The mint tea is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OK, i'll be the one person that's not afraid to admit, their coffee is nice. Well, it's perfectly acceptable anyway.

I've been in the Westmorland street shop a few times, I can see why they've shut down. I'd imagine the rent and rates are crazy, but there's not many seats and never a massive queue when I'd be in at around 9:10. Usually no one. You'd need to sell a lot of coffees to justify such a big expensive premises. As for the one across the road, I definitely wouldn't bother my arse to cross such a wide busy road for one when pretty much every shop on the street sells coffee. I wouldn't be bothered with any of their food though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Cienciano wrote: »
    OK, i'll be the one person that's not afraid to admit, their coffee is nice. Well, it's perfectly acceptable anyway.

Nah its dirt. Even McDonalds can manage better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Their coffee is fine. It's just coffee. To suggest they've built an empire consisting of nearly 30,000 stores globally serving "dirt" is just plain ridiculous.

I'd get a Starbucks if it was convenient to me, though I do find the service quite slow so would choose an alternative if the option was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

imme wrote: »
    Definitely not a refurb for bewleys just some sense being shown by StarDollars.

Starbucks in Ireland is a franchise run by Colum and Ciarán Butler who also own the franchise for TGI Friday, Mao and LeisurePlex. I'm sure HQ have little or nothing to do with decisions about a single store on Westmoreland St.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Any ideas what will be going in there next yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pelvis wrote: »
    Their coffee is fine. It's just coffee. To suggest they've built an empire consisting of nearly 30,000 stores globally serving "dirt" is just plain ridiculous.

I'd get a Starbucks if it was convenient to me, though I do find the service quite slow so would choose an alternative if the option was available.

It's weird, you'd imagine such a big brand would aim for bland.
    I can drink the low grade instant coffee in work no problem if I have to, starbucks makes me feel like I'm going to gag, same with their tea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I never understand the hate for their coffee, after all it started off as a small little store that people would be all over and raving about had it opened today, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

miamee wrote: »

Tragically, my money is on Costa. The nearest one is miles away, all the way on College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

A Bewleys would fit in there perfectly :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ha, it'd be nice alright Ben, wouldn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dealz or a €2 store probably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Carrols, Dealz or a Donut shop if precedent is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wheety wrote: »
    The old Bewleys? Just gone past on the bus and the windows are whited out.

Anyone know if it's being renovated by Bewleys now the Grafton Street one is back open?
    I thought Starbucks use a technique called swarming? so open multiple stores then close one or two after a while, it helps run other places out of town :(

Advertisement