Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deiseen wrote: »
    And then in 10 years we will be stuck with the worst stadium in Ireland again...

Why dont they target the next RWC bid? Go to government and say we want to build a decent 30,000+ stadium and we need funds to do it. This will be another decent stadium in a city which can only help the bid. I know 30,000+ might sound excessive to some but this is what we should be aiming for, not a cellotape and plaster job of a dirthole.

Any government that supported another RWC bid and/or gave money to the GAA to build another 30,000+ capacity stadium in Munster would deserve to be absolutely hammered at the election that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

deiseach wrote: »
    And then in 10 years we will be stuck with the worst stadium in Ireland again...

Why dont they target the next RWC bid? Go to government and say we want to build a decent 30,000+ stadium and we need funds to do it. This will be another decent stadium in a city which can only help the bid. I know 30,000+ might sound excessive to some but this is what we should be aiming for, not a cellotape and plaster job of a dirthole.

Any government that supported another RWC bid and/or gave money to the GAA to build another 30,000+ capacity stadium in Munster would deserve to be absolutely hammered at the election that followed.

I get where your coming from but populations are going up. waterford is expected to have a particularly high population growth.

15,000-25,000 will not be fit for purpose in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

I think Dungarvan is the place for the Stadium. Better parking, atmosphere, food/refreshment options. Turn the pitch around in Father field and make it 20k venue. I have been going to games in Walsh park for 30 years and it has nothing appealing , poor parking, no nearby eat/drink options. Just imagine the Square on match day....

I think Dungarvan is the place for the Stadium. Better parking, atmosphere, food/refreshment options. Turn the pitch around in Father field and make it 20k venue. I have been going to games in Walsh park for 30 years and it has nothing appealing , poor parking, no nearby eat/drink options. Just imagine the Square on match day....
    The applemarket/ballybricken in Waterford are the same distance to WP as the square is to Fraher field, much more pubs and food options in the city.
    Infinitely more parking options in the city with 3/4 club pitches within short distance to Waterford and then much more parking in the centre. Parking on the road is not an option at either stadiums.
    At the moment, Walsh Park is a get in and get out job (so is Fraher field). If the facilities were improved and the capacity was improved allowing it to host bigger games then the amenities in the area become much more obvious.
    In Thurles, ya'd have to park 20/30 mins from the stadium and I have never once heard anyone complain about the parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This is the kind of thinking we need, not just some "arra shur twill do" job.

I opened a thread in the Waterford City forum about this, because I think there's room for a stadium on the old Gasworks site.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I'd love to see the Waterside option discussed seriously.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »

This is the kind of thinking we need, not just some "arra shur twill do" job.

I opened a thread in the Waterford City forum about this, because I think there's room for a stadium on the old Gasworks site.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I'd love to see the Waterside option discussed seriously.

I don't know if the Gasworks site would be big enough but it wud be ideal.

Theres something to be said for the Waterford crystal grounds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

We don't need a 30000 capacity stadium, a 15-20000 stadium, that would be full at least twice a year is more than sufficient Disappointing to hear there isn't a clear vision at C Board level

Tramore84 wrote: »

We don't need a 30000 capacity stadium, a 15-20000 stadium, that would be full at least twice a year is more than sufficient Disappointing to hear there isn't a clear vision at C Board level

If we consider ourselves to be any kind of a city then we should be aiming for that RWC gravy train. That means a 30,000+ stadium that will be paid for with Rugby money but which Waterford GAA will see the benefits of for generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I don't know if the Gasworks site would be big enough but it wud be ideal.

I went on to Google Maps and took the footprint of Semple Stadium (on the basis that it won't need to be any bigger than that), which I tried to apply to sites in and around the city. IIRC, the Waterside car park was almost big enough, and if you took in the Johnstown Industrial Park, there was enough space.

I get where your coming from but populations are going up. waterford is expected to have a particularly high population growth.

Even if I accepted the proposition that Waterford is going to experience high population growth (I don't), we'd still be building a 30,000+ capacity stadium to host two Munster hurling championship games a year and a Munster final about once a decade - if we were lucky. Games against Clare and Limerick would get nowhere near to such a capacity. But I guess the game we'd host between Georgia and Tonga would make it all worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I believe that the idea of the current management staying on is being led by some of the players . Apparently 9 players have indicated that they will be leaving the panel if the current management aren't staying on . Crazy stuff

Let them leave the panel then.
    Herein lies the mindset that shows that these players will never win an All Ireland.
    These no doubt are the same players who ousted the last manager to bring in McGrath. 5 years later and despite winning minor and under 21 all irelands we are about to finish last in Munster and have league games against the likes of Carlow to look forward to next year. Its time for a new look team both on and off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The applemarket/ballybricken in Waterford are the same distance to WP as the square is to Fraher field

Would you go away out of that. Its only a five minute walk from the square in Dungarvan to Fraher Field.

Even if I accepted the proposition that Waterford is going to experience high population growth (I don't), we'd still be building a 30,000+ capacity stadium to host two Munster hurling championship games a year and a Munster final about once a decade - if we were lucky. Games against Clare and Limerick would get nowhere near to such a capacity. But I guess the game we'd host between Georgia and Tonga would make it all worthwhile.

Legaue quarters? Semis? Munster finals? AI Quarter finals? More games due to expanded tournament? Competitive football team(i wish)?

Your literally trying to put this in the smallest box you can. The North Quays is an example of the kind of thinking that we need in Waterford. No more of this market town BS.

The government are expecting population growth of 27,000 to 32,000 in Waterford City alone by 2040. All other places in ireland will increase with population too, this means more fans from both sides.

We need to have a comparable product here and that is something that we just will not have with a 15,000/20,000 stadium.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The applemarket/ballybricken in Waterford are the same distance to WP as the square is to Fraher field

Would you go away out of that. Its only a five minute walk from the square in Dungarvan to Fraher Field.

How fast do you walk? Its over a kilometre to there from the square!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we prob walk the Equalivant of the Quay/John Roberts Square-Walsh Park in Thurles/Limerick/Croke Park etc and dont even knw it

We dont have the pubs/restraunts etc to deal with a huge championship crowds ATM at the main hubs (areas near Walsh park). Im talking about making Ballybricken and Barrack Street hubs for the new developed Walsh park. The Lisduggan shopping centre is also a bit outdated and has nothing much

Thurles is a great town with lots of pubs/food places and would put the city to shame

Oh for crying out loud. Even if League knockout games are retained, and I doubt they will be, we can host League quarter-finals already and League semi-finals are usually played at neutral venues that suit the competing counties. That means we'll be in a position to host any time Kilkenny and Wexford are in the semi-final. The world is littered with crumbling sports venues built as vanity projects. Let's not add Waterford to the list.

Oh for crying out loud. Even if League knockout games are retained, and I doubt they will be, we can host League quarter-finals already and League semi-finals are usually played at neutral venues that suit the competing counties. That means we'll be in a position to host any time Kilkenny and Wexford are in the semi-final. The world is littered with crumbling sports venues built as vanity projects. Let's not add Waterford to the list.
    Pearse Stadium, Nowlan Park, PUC, Gaelic Grounds, Fitzgerald park, O' Connor Park, O' Moore park....
    All crumbling!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

This is the engineering company Pat Flynn mentioned are designing the new stadium
    Www.horganlynch.ie

IanVW wrote: »
    This is the engineering company Pat Flynn mentioned are designing the new stadium
    Www.horganlynch.ie

Good to see they worked on CP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kilkenny have a home and away agreement with most counties they rarely play on neutral grounds. But a decent home venue would enable them to have one with ye too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Sadly it looks like the County Board are about to pass up a second golden opportunity to give us a decent ground. There does not seem to be any creativity in relation to their thinking and its very much a band aid approach. Walsh Park is a kip, the pitch is a disgrace and the general area has nothing to offer supporters. Proceeding with what is planned will ensure we require another revamp in ten years time.

Sadly it looks like the County Board are about to pass up a second golden opportunity to give us a decent ground. There does not seem to be any creativity in relation to their thinking and its very much a band aid approach. Walsh Park is a kip, the pitch is a disgrace and the general area has nothing to offer supporters. Proceeding with what is planned will ensure we require another revamp in ten years time.

What do you mean the area has nothing to offer?? You literally have ballybricken and the apple market within 15 minutes walk. I'd say I could name 20 pubs off tbe top of me head right now that are within 15 mins of WP.

Parking wise you have millers marsh, waterside, lisduggan, WIT, DLS, Mount Sion, St. Paul's, St. saviour's, Erin's Own, Roanmore - all of which could provide parking.

The apple market would be a great fan area.

What do you mean the area has nothing to offer?? You literally have ballybricken and the apple market within 15 minutes walk. I'd say I could name 20 pubs off tbe top of me head right now that are within 15 mins of WP.

Parking wise you have millers marsh, waterside, lisduggan, WIT, DLS, Mount Sion, St. Paul's, St. saviour's, Erin's Own, Roanmore - all of which could provide parking.

The apple market would be a great fan area.

Let's call a spade a spade, I'm from Waterford and in comparison to Thurles, Cork, Limerick or Kilkenny, the surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of our own supporters dislike the ground for that reason. Don't even get me started on the pitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

No team for Sunday yet?

Let's call a spade a spade, I'm from Waterford and in comparison to Thurles, Cork, Limerick or Kilkenny, the surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of our own supporters dislike the ground for that reason. Don't even get me started on the pitch...

Not sure what you mean by 'surrounding area'. Plenty of decent folk living around those parts, if there are not enough hipster coffee places for your taste, well maybe you could start one up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That has to be the worst post on the Waterford forum and god knows there’s been some muck on here.

So thurles town Centre, the docks in cork, ennis road are akin to Beverly Hills?

What a cock.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Kilkenny have a home and away agreement with most counties they rarely play on neutral grounds. But a decent home venue would enable them to have one with ye too

Care to guess how many times we've met Kilkenny in the League semi-final or final?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Perhaps the people from Waterford City might consider cycling to matches in Dungarvan via the Déise Greenway. The end of the Greenway is less than 200 metres from Fraher Field and there would be no parking problems. And think of the health benefits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I agree with you. The guy who told me that this evening woujd be very close to a member of the panel and he would rarely tell you anything but he was raging at this

Thanks for sharing that.
    I worry now that Derek has done more damage to Waterford hurling than anyone imagined previously.
    Except me

Am going to head up to the match on Sunday, our best days in the last 20 years have been in Semple and I consider it to be our real home. Plus, I love the surrounding area.

Gavlor wrote: »
    That has to be the worst post on the Waterford forum and god knows there’s been some muck on here.

So thurles town Centre, the docks in cork, ennis road are akin to Beverly Hills?

What a cock.

Pretty pathetic that you have to resort to insults in relation to an opinion, I hope it made you feel better about yourself sitting behind your keyboard.

In my view the areas I mentioned are better in terms of a pre match atmosphere and build up than the surrounds of Walsh Park, I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement nor it it an uncommon opinion among supporters.

In relation to the other poster, I made no reference to people anywhere, I am unlikely to come on here and slate people from my own county. If you don't like my opinion fair enough but don't put words in my mouth. Personally I think the county would be better served by County grounds in either Carriganore or Dungarvan but we know the latter would never happen with our East/West divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I have long held the view that, despite Derek McGrath’s coaching/tactical incompetence, Waterford have still managed to enjoy reasonable success under his management due the team’s high skill levels and work rate. On the rare occasions when this high work rate has not been forthcoming, we have been whipped by teams with good skills, commitment and game plans. This happened against Cork in last year’s Munster championship and in the previous year’s Munster Final. And it happened again last Sunday in Limerick.

I have always found Derek McGrath’s many media interviews to be quite baffling. In last Monday’s Irish Examiner, he paid tribute to Limerick’s movement, their short game and their ability to create space, but didn’t explain why Waterford had none of these.

He also suggested that Waterford had overdone the man-for-man stuff when in fact one of Waterford’s main problems was that they didn’t do enough of it. Time after time Limerick got players in acres of space with no marker anywhere near them. There was no evidence of any preparation for the kind of game Limerick play.

In my last post I wrote that Waterford would be going up against a Limerick team which is much better organised and coached. Add in their much higher level of alertness and work rate and Waterford never had a chance. At times it looked as though Limerick had 18 players on the pitch. Every time a Waterford player got the ball he was immediately surrounded by three Limerick players. By contrast, every time a Limerick player got the ball he always had at least two loose players available to take a pass.

Writing in Tuesday’s Irish Times, Jim McGuinness described as “crazy” the way Down persevered with long kickouts in their championship game against Donegal, who were winning them all. It was the same with Waterford’s perseverance with long puckouts against Limerick’s powerful halfbacks. McGrath pushed Kevin Moran forward in the hope of winning some of these puckouts but the end result was to take probably our most influential leader out of the game. On the odd occasion when Waterford did get possession from one of their own puckouts, they were immediately put under pressure and unable to deliver decent ball to the inside line.

The obvious response was to take short puckouts, work the ball to midfield and hit the ball in over the Limerick half backs. On several occasions Shane McNulty made himself available for a short puckout out on the wing, but Stephen O’Keeffe repeatedly ignored him and hit the ball long.

By contrast, when Limerick had a puckout, their half forwards bunched in the middle of the pitch, and as Nicky Quaid prepared to strike, they spread out in a highly organised way which time after time found the ball landing in a Limerick player’s hand with nobody near him. This gave the player in question all the time in the world to play good ball into their full forward line who made full use of this quality supply.

Derek McGrath’s response was to take off two of his full forwards at half time. This is like the old story of the junior hurling corner forward who gets no ball at all because his team are being beaten up a stick out the field. When a ball finally comes through to him he fumbles it and is immediately taken off.

Another example of McGrath’s inability to manage games was his decision to bring on Shane McNulty when Shane Fives got injured. McNulty was simply unequipped to mark the much more physically robust Shane Dowling. The only other defender on the bench, Ian Kenny, is at least used to playing in the fullback line and knows how to tackle. Why was he on the bench if he was not regarded as being up to the job?

For me, the obvious move would have been to shift Philip Mahony back to mark Dowling and bring Kevin Moran back to the half back line where he would surely have been more effective than in the forwards. It is also noteworthy that the player who was removed from the bench to make way for the returning Moran was another defender, Seamus Keating. This means that of the ten outfield players on the bench, just two were defenders.

McGrath’s irresponsible failure to use the league to strengthen his squad came back to haunt him. Contrast this with Brian Cody, who blooded a lot of young new players in the league and pushed the team hard to get the players concerned as close as possible to the required level. Some of them failed to make the grade but several did and are now showing the benefits of those early year efforts.

It is hard to believe that there are still people posting here who want McGrath to stay on, despite the blinding evidence that he is not up to the job. What has he achieved this year? A couldn’t-care-less attitude to the league leading to relegation. Two listless championship performances out of three. Twelve pointed frees conceded against Tipperary and thirteen against Limerick, reflecting major disciplinary issues.

McGrath was undoubtedly unlucky with injuries, but he made no provision for the possibility that this could happen. There has been no new blood, and he has persisted with favourite players who are not up to it (and who presumably are leading the campaign to have him retained as manager).

We need a new management team which will start from scratch with a three-year mandate and which will sweep the county for all players with ability and potential (something like Pat Gilroy did with Dublin this year). It is a pity that this team will not be in position to monitor a club championship which, for once, will not be played in a pressure-cooker environment.

The other issue, of course, is whether the County Board will put procedures in place to ensure that we get a management team of the quality which our current crop of players needs and deserves. The past record is not reassuring in this respect.

https://twitter.com/waterfordgaa/status/1007749034633781248?s=21

Decent team for the intermediate game, when is the senior team announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://twitter.com/waterfordgaa/status/1007749034633781248?s=21

Decent team for the intermediate game, when is the senior team announced?

What an odd team

Why drop Soky ???

I knw it's a dead rubber but we could get hammered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Waterford have a core support of three thousand.it will fit them fine

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

thesultan wrote: »
    Waterford have a core support of three thousand.it will fit them fine

I think it is funny that people are hammering the county board for Walsh Park, but before this year it would have been crazy to develop it.
    People just don't to Club games in Waterford, our senior county finals have a poor attendance.

In fact most of the stadiums aren't required at all, let's face it anyone watching Gaa for the first time on sky for a lot of the games must think does anyone actually go to these games? Nothing but empty seats and terraces.

15000 would be a great fit, it might never be filled I suspect but would make for a good Atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What an odd team

Why drop Soky ???

Only guessing but maybe it’s Iggy’s last involvement with the panel? He’s been knocking around the panel for 14 odd years now, mainly as a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Only guessing but maybe it’s Iggy’s last involvement with the panel? He’s been knocking around the panel for 14 odd years now, mainly as a sub.

For a lad who loves retiring off players am surprised pth didn't pick up on that.

Team largely as expected, I would think McGrath isn't too thrilled about playing gleeson in particular considering he's only at about 60% but may have been fearful of allegations of not taking the game seriously if he didn't start him. Personally would have started Seamus Keating at 6 and also found a space for dj Foran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What an odd team

Why drop Soky ???

A. We’re not going to be hammered, unless our performance is as bad as last week.
    B. So what if we are.
    C. Think this might be Iggyy’s 3rd ever start in the championship (first in AI semi 2004), so he’s entitled to his day in the sun.

ps
    Very surprised that Aussie is starting seeing how unfit/injured he looked last week ;
    Waterford 5/1 to win tomorrow

• Advertisement

No issue with iggy playing but it’s a rubbish team that really highlights the lack of dept on the panel.

At least 6 players that are average club players never mind of top intercounty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

No issue with iggy playing but it’s a rubbish team that really highlights the lack of dept on the panel.

At least 6 players that are average club players never mind of top intercounty standard.

Fairly harsh comment to be honest. Iggy aside, the 14 others are far from rubbish. Your comment could be due the fact that some of them only get around 10 mins of game time every year and we haven’t seen anything from them. Dunford was very good his first two years on the panel then disappeared. Tommy Ryan has been one of our best players off the bench the last two seasons - a case could be made for O’Hallorran to fall into the same bracket. We don’t know anything about Ian Kenny at this level yet and the rest of the team, bar Conor Gleeson, started the All Ireland final last year.

I’d rather McGrath changed the whole starting 15 and give the lads who have busted their arses training all year a start in the Championship. Some of them might not be there next year and the game means nothing so give them some sort of reward for hanging around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I thought McGrath should have swapped the full 15 (bar Brick) and gave those who haven't started this year a run. They need some reward.

Motivator wrote: »
    Fairly harsh comment to be honest. Iggy aside, the 14 others are far from rubbish. Your comment could be due the fact that some of them only get around 10 mins of game time every year and we haven’t seen anything from them. Dunford was very good his first two years on the panel then disappeared. Tommy Ryan has been one of our best players off the bench the last two seasons - a case could be made for O’Hallorran to fall into the same bracket. We don’t know anything about Ian Kenny at this level yet and the rest of the team, bar Conor Gleeson, started the All Ireland final last year.

I’d rather McGrath changed the whole starting 15 and give the lads who have busted their arses training all year a start in the Championship. Some of them might not be there next year and the game means nothing so give them some sort of reward for hanging around.

My comment has to do with watching club games over the past few years. Like I said, 6 of the 15 are average club players.

My comment has to do with watching club games over the past few years. Like I said, 6 of the 15 are average club players.

Who are the 6?

Who are the 6?

I’m not naming names. Amateur players and all that but it won’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the weaker players on that 15.

I’m not naming names. Amateur players and all that but it won’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the weaker players on that 15.

If you’re going to belittle players then at least have the balls to back up your comments and name them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

If you’re going to belittle players then at least have the balls to back up your comments and name them.

Noone trying to belittle anyone....but it takes some serious partisan glasses to believe everyone on that team is of intercounty standred

I've no problems with the way it is,for a dead rubber game...but it's hopefully mcgrath last game as a manager and just strikes me as just deosnt care about the result.....we have a chance to finish above tipp in the group like

Would that not lead to me belittling individual players?

Id say there a few positions that could be improved on but l dont think there are many, if any, lads that outright don't deserve to be there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement