Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So hard to predict the minor game 2morrow

Deff exceeding expectations when you consider the way we played vs Clare the first day out. We could end up being ****e 2morrow or end up being brillent

Really hoping for a win as it's a Munster final and more hurling for the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So hard to predict the minor game 2morrow

Deff exceeding expectations when you consider the way we played vs Clare the first day out. We could end up being ****e 2morrow or end up being brillent

Really hoping for a win as it's a Munster final and more hurling for the summer
    You should win by ten points plus, the Cork Minors are shockingly poor.

Best of luck to both teams today

Safe travel for those few going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bad auld day for it, left early this morning as stopping in KK for a bit before journeying on. Weather improved as we went north but still not great. Think the crowd will be more like a league match than a championship match today. Might not even get to 10K

Nice not to be on the fukking limerick road for a change today

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Here on Thurles. Crown small, about 50 to 1 cork to Waterford support. Could be a long day. A minor win and a good day for Brick would do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

KevIRL wrote: »
    Bad auld day for it, left early this morning as stopping in KK for a bit before journeying on. Weather improved as we went north but still not great. Think the crowd will be more like a league match than a championship match today. Might not even get to 10K

Could have had it in Walsh Park....

**** minors struggling

9 behind and down to 14 men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really up against it now, man down and losing by 9 points. Have hit enough wides to win 2 games unfortunately

3-17 2-5 full time

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Limerick Tipp final . The 2 teams we beat. Very odd minor championship. I suspect none of the 5 teams are much good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Are we gone from minor championship now ?

Disappointing for the minors but decent championship for them overall

Not holding out much hope for the senior game

Solid first half. Some excellent point taking

• Advertisement

Good effort but Cork get the luck

Keating done well when he came on

Thanks for the memories Brick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Good effort but Cork get the luck

Keating done well when he came on

Thanks for the memories Brick

No luck Cork simply just the better team. Good effort by Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Cork "fan" sitting next to me in old stand section 206 seat T27 was the most disgraceful person I've seen at a match in a long time. In his seventies possibly late 60s and f'ed and blinded the whole way through. When Bennett was injured he was yelling to get him off the field despite Bennett clearly in bother. No respect for player welfare. I said he was an idiot and a disgrace that there were kid's around. He starts calling me this that and the other. Then a few waterford fans behind him were letting him know what a disgrace he was. As soon as Harnedy foaled he stood up turned around and gave two fingers on three occasions to people behind him. He clearly embarrassed the cork fans as two nice sane corkmen felt compelled to apologize. No place for people like him at our games. You get then from all counties I know but Jesus you'd have to search hard to find someone of his age behaving the way he did. Terrible example and loads of kid's around. He left early as I think he knew he'd be in for an earful from fans on both sides at the end and probably knew he wouldn't be able to contain himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Time for mcgrath to go

It's gone stale as fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Sorry to hear that about a Cork fan. No place for those awful people in the game and that behaviour is shameful.Unfortunately there seems to be always one awful person like that at games and they can come from any county.

I can only say Sorry as a Corkman that you had to endure him in a game.

The game sounded very close right up until the end

• Advertisement

Prob a few weeks til a decision is made by Derek and Co

If he wants to stay I'd say he will get another shot. Too much hassle by the CB trying to find another man if he goes

Sorry to hear that about a Cork fan. No place for those awful people in the game and that behaviour is shameful.Unfortunately there seems to be always one awful person like that at games and they can come from any county.

I can only say Sorry as a Corkman that you had to endure him in a game.

The game sounded very close right up until the end
    Ah no bother boi. In fairness you get one or two at most games. This lad seemed on another level altogether. It happens. Close game alright. Could have gone either way really. Was in the melting pot up until the last few mins. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Right a suitable end to a dreadful hurling season , I expect to hear tomorrow Derek Mcrath is stepping down from his position . He gave us some great days out especially last season , and yes everything that could go wrong went wrong this season with injuries and bad officiating . He set the tone early on with a disasterous league campaign of which we learned very little got relegated followed by an equally shocking championship . He’s had a good run of it , but now is the time for a shake up , we still have some very good Hurlers but we need a new direction , new enthusiasm and new thinking . Thanks for the memories Derek but please don’t hang on till it all lies in ruins . Cheers .

Bad hip injury for Stephen Bennett I've heard

Had past troubles with his hips, hopefully he recovers. Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Cork "fan" sitting next to me in old stand section 206 seat T27 was the most disgraceful person I've seen at a match in a long time. In his seventies possibly late 60s and f'ed and blinded the whole way through. When Bennett was injured he was yelling to get him off the field despite Bennett clearly in bother. No respect for player welfare. I said he was an idiot and a disgrace that there were kid's around. He starts calling me this that and the other. Then a few waterford fans behind him were letting him know what a disgrace he was. As soon as Harnedy foaled he stood up turned around and gave two fingers on three occasions to people behind him. He clearly embarrassed the cork fans as two nice sane corkmen felt compelled to apologize. No place for people like him at our games. You get then from all counties I know but Jesus you'd have to search hard to find someone of his age behaving the way he did. Terrible example and loads of kid's around. He left early as I think he knew he'd be in for an earful from fans on both sides at the end and probably knew he wouldn't be able to contain himself.

Sorry to here about him! Not a true reflection of a Cork fan or any fan. No place for them at any match.
    Jesus lads how many mirrors did ye break during the Winter!! Ye've had rotten luck and it continued today. Made a huge difference in the end as did having to play the 4 weeks on the spin. Ye will be sorely missed in the Championship. Last year's All-Ireland semi-final was a day that will live long in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Normally fans that live on either side of the border are the real bitter ones.I can guarantee you though from my experience of the Cork Hurling community especially in the city they are the most decent and well educated supporters of the game that you will come across.

Article here with comments from Derek McGrath about his future

"I have been involved with some of these lads since they were 12, it is a 15-16 year sojourn, not just a five-year sojourn. There is huge mental fortitude needed to go through that time after time, give the immersion that fellas put into it," he said.
    "We will consider all avenues.

My complete focus today was on Brick - I am very close to Brick, and he has given us everything he has over the last 5 years - and secondly on the performance so I haven't deciphered or registered in my own mind space where it is going.
    "Given what has happened in the last five weeks. The litany of what we have had to endure. So it will take a little bit of time for contemplation. That is probably not the answer you want to hear. Just some contemplative time and space to consider everything with family and friends,"

That’s exactly what we don’t need another month or so to contemplate . Already a week gone knowing we are out of the championship , don’t see the point at all .

Article here with comments from Derek McGrath about his future

In other words he wants to get as much support from within the camp to be able to use that as an excuse to stay on again. Christ almighty man will you just go. 5 years of bulls**t and English speaking lessons is what it all adds up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Massive disappointment with the minor result, the manager Morohan sounded absolutely gutted on the radio, really felt for the young lads today.

Really brave performance from the senior team, with nothing to play for the fear wouldve been a beating again. But they stood up and put in a decent performance, Tommy Ryan deserves special mention, he was brilliant today and capped it off with a fine goal.

Nice to see the Brick being mobbed after the game, he was still signing autographs and posing for photos 20 minutes after the final whistle. Some warrior for us over the years.

Hope Stephen Bennett isnt too bad, he looked in bad shape leaving the field, hope its not the hip problem acting up again.

Now that the summer is officially finished, it time for Derek to go. 5 years is enough of a go for him, time for a new voice and fresh ideas in the dressing room.

• Advertisement

seoirsem wrote: »

Sorry to here about him! Not a true reflection of a Cork fan or any fan. No place for them at any match.
    Jesus lads how many mirrors did ye break during the Winter!! Ye've had rotten luck and it continued today. Made a huge difference in the end as did having to play the 4 weeks on the spin. Ye will be sorely missed in the Championship. Last year's All-Ireland semi-final was a day that will live long in my memory.
    Yeah it's been a bad oul year for us. A few more injuries today. I wonder how we'd have done down the home stretch woth de Burca and Fives. I think the four weeks in a row caught up with us in the last ten minutes. Nkt an excuse but my honest opinion. Ye deserved the win in the end. Cork fans in general are good craic with good banter. Last year in that semi final, a cork family applauded Gleeson when he scored the goal and shook our hands and wished us well in the final at full time. They're the type of fans I associate with cork. Best of luck for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Derek McGrath won a league title as Waterford manager.In last years all Ireland final, Waterford were a point up with 15 minutes to go, before three excruciating wides in a row, killed their momentum.Waterford had a poor season this year, on the back of last years decent championship run.But i actually think Derek McGrath deserved one more year at least.Although with that said after 5 seasons, i do understand the calls for a new and fresh voice.But personally myself, i think McGrath deserves one last chance to deliver the big prize.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Just back in Cork now after a long journey home on a bus full of Cork fans. Very disappointing day and last six months to be honest. I couldn’t get in to the game at all, it was a strange feeling watching points go over and the goal going in and briefly getting excited only to be brought back down to earth a few seconds later knowing it meant nothing. Being honest, I think Cork would have been very hard done by to miss out on a Munster Final today. I think the final result was probably justified - although maybe I spent too long in the company of Cork people today!

Right, we have an awful run of luck lately and it can be used as the excuse as to why we’re gone so early but I do think it’s a bit of a cop out. The management team were put in a position to rely on “new faces” because of their refusal to test these “new faces” in a league campaign that meant nothing. If the league meant nothing then why were the likes of Moran, Gleeson and Brick flogged in the muck and rain for the winter? Why not try out the panel players? It just makes no sense and I can’t understand it at all. We’ve seen the impact the likes of Foran, Roche and Tommy Ryan have had in two/three games. If they, along with the other panel members, had been given proper game time in the league then who knows what could have happened.

Definitely the worst year to be a Waterford supporter since the last year the straight knockout format was in place.

Derek McGrath won a league title as Waterford manager.In last years all Ireland final, Waterford were a point up with 15 minutes to go, before three excruciating wides in a row, killed their momentum.Waterford had a poor season this year, on the back of last years decent championship run.But i actually think Derek McGrath deserved one more year at least.Although with that said after 5 seasons, i do understand the calls for a new and fresh voice.But personally myself, i think McGrath deserves one last chance to deliver the big prize.

Personally I felt 2017 should've been his last year and he rode the wave of getting to an all ireland to get another year and it's imploded spectacularly.....not bothering making subs in league matches

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

People have said that teams shouldn't have to play 4 in a row without break with regards to the senior championship but it only occurred to me today that the minors had to do so too. That's too much to put on a young players in general but it's also the middle of exam season. Whether players like the idea of playing 4 in a row or not, there should be a break week in the middle of it to allow rest and recovery.
    Also probably doesn't mean much but it's worth noting that the Senior Munster Championship ended with both teams who played 4 in a knocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

The minor match was one of the most bizarre games of hurling I've ever seen. You would think from looking at the scoreline that this was a one sided stroll but the truth is that up until the sending off we were well in the game and possibly even the better team in terms of possession. The half time scoreline bore no reflection on the game. We hit enough wides to win two games, it was extraordinary and just shows how unpredictable this grade is. From the point of view of expecting very little from this campaign I saw enough to know that we still have some quality talent coming through.

The seniors gave a decent account of themselves and at times played some good hurling but in the end further injuries and tired legs assisted the Cork comeback. Aussie was clearly unfit and in my view should not have started. An injury to Noelie resulted in Moran playing full back for a lot of the second half. Forwards showed well generally but the injury to Jake Dillon, playing extremely well, was a turning point and a further injury to Brian O'Halloran didn't help. Séamus Keating played well when introduced and will hopefully get further game time going forward.

On another note, Damien Cahalane, as usual, got away with a litany of fouls on Tommy Ryan and Tom Devine throughout, it is an absolute mystery to me how he continues to get away with this week in week out. I thought overall the referee was equally poor to both sides with a number of blatant frees not given.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Our diabolical run of bad luck will probably continue with Derek getting another 5 years, the county board have no spine so they won't have anyone lined up to replace him and they won't push him either. If Derek was going to go on his own he'd have said it by now.

I hate getting stuck near some clown like that at a game too. 99 out of 100 people at games do be genuine, there's always that 1 clown though. I remember a Waterford old lad roaring like that at a Cork game a few years ago, we all have those kind of "fans" unfortunately. We were sitting beside a young family from Cork the same day and their children were terrified of the ****in eejit, no place for the stuff he was shouting at all. We were egging the kids on saying if they don't shout for Cork the players won't hear them and they wouldn't win, then when they started shouting we'd pretend to try and outshout them, it was good craic in the end but the dad said he wasn't going to bring them to a game any time soon after it. At least they weren't in the terrace behind the goal with the soccer day trippers!

Between league and championship games this year we have played 10 games. Our record reads:
    Won 2
    Drawn 1
    Lost 7

Now if that happened at club level there would be questions asked so how people can justify giving him another year is beyond me.
    And we won’t even get into his tactical approach!

Have a feeling Derek will stay

We have no Tom Devine next year and not sure will the Bennett's come back. Add to that possible retirements of Brick, Iggy and maybe Moran

Hard to knw what way we will approach 1B next year. I knw we won it the last time we were in 1B but I don't think we will next year. Galway and Dublin will be the big games and we also face Offaly, Laois and Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Would've been nice to go out on a win, but wasn't to be..again some shocking refereeing.
    Four weeks in a row is awful for the poor lads minors and seniors.
    If they were professional and only hurled, fair enough. But to be expecting them to hold down full time jobs, studies and then go out and play to that level consecutively Is ridiculous (in all counties).
    Felt for the minors today, nothing went their way.
    Brick, what a man!!
    Sick for poor Stephen! Really hope it's not as bad as it looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Is Tom Devine definitely gone next year? He was really good today.

Speaking of good, Tommy Ryan put in a performance that John Mullane would have been proud of. He should be starting every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

For all those worrying about Derek and the team delaying the decision for a few weeks, it’s totally irrelevant. There’s no transfer window and any guy with half an interest in the job will be keeping an eye on the club championship over the next few months te see if anyone not currently in the squad stands out (there are plenty there!). He’s definitely not taking another year and I for one wish him well for his commitment, dedication and professionalism over the past 5 years. Hopefully he’ll stay involved with Waterford gaa at some level.

Gavlor wrote: »
    For all those worrying about Derek and the team delaying the decision for a few weeks, it’s totally irrelevant. There’s no transfer window and any guy with half an interest in the job will be keeping an eye on the club championship over the next few months te see if anyone not currently in the squad stands out (there are plenty there!). He’s definitely not taking another year and I for one wish him well for his commitment, dedication and professionalism over the past 5 years. Hopefully he’ll stay involved with Waterford gaa at some level.

Who to take over though ??

Not a fan of Fergal Hartley or Peter Quelly taking over

Sean Power is prob the best local choice

Denis Walsh could get it ??

Other options are DJ Carey, Brendan Cummins, Antony Daly

If they can't prise sheedy from Antrim. ...I'd chance Hartley

Got his tactics spot on vs na piasaigh in club final......only black mark that day he left a faltering Mahony too long on the frees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Won’t be Denis Walsh or god forbid Brendan cummins, we can’t afford Daly.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Tommy Dunne get the gig now that ryan apparently has the tipp co board backing

[QUOTE=Jjjjjjjbarry;107285419

Speaking of good, Tommy Ryan put in a performance that John Mullane would have been proud of. He should be starting every day.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree

Absolutely agree

Has been doing it for Tallow for numerous years. Never got the proper chance to develop on the team(not like others)and with his pace a proper manager would utilise it to its maximum. All defenses hate pace and he’s a speedster aswell as a clinical scoring forward.

Gavlor wrote: »

You seem very sure? I hope you’re right but the soundings from the camp this week was he was looking to stay on.

Absolutely agree

Has been doing it for Tallow for numerous years. Never got the proper chance to develop on the team(not like others)and with his pace a proper manager would utilise it to its maximum. All defenses hate pace and he’s a speedster aswell as a clinical scoring forward.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement