Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

There goes the hope of Fanning stepping aside...
    https://twitter.com/wlrfm/status/1137637958436229121?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Im not too sure should he step down tbh.
    Players downing tools and sulking highlighted there softness and inadequacies as opposed to playing well and showing up the mgmts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-game--extra-time-s1-e9/SI0000005732?epguid=PL000001509

Randomly came across this on the RTÉ Player this morning, don’t know how but it really does hit home how bad things have gone.

Much the same players, very different attitudes, very different levels of fitness and very different results and very different levels of support from us supporters. I was at my wits end after last weekends match and disappointed again with last night but the 13 minute watch just showed me that all hope is not lost. Of course we will all give out but I know come next January and there’s Munster senior league in Fraher Field or an opening league game against one of the big guns, I’ll be back buzzing and excited for the 2020, just going to be a long 7 months waiting for that!

Highly recommend supporters watch the video, great watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Get rid of Jamie Barron.... Are ye ****ing insane

Get rid of Jamie Barron.... Are ye ****ing insane

Can’t get rid of a man of that quality but if he’s acting the maggot and not putting it in on the field, well he’s no use to you.

I have a feeling he’ll come good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

While the players deserve the criticism they are receiving for their lack of effort the biggest reason for our poor showing has been paraic fanning and his ridiculously negative tactics. The man has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowlege tom devine wont be back due to medical problems :(

Someone of his physical presence with alot of hurling is needed

“Medical problems” i.e. he’s a doctor out in Ardkeen. Goes to show how rumours spread like Chinese whispers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowlege tom devine wont be back due to medical problems :(

Someone of his physical presence with alot of hurling is needed

“Medical problems” i.e. he’s a doctor out in Ardkeen. Goes to show how rumours spread like Chinese whispers :pac:

He suffered a bad concussion in a club football game toward the end of 2018 I believe, he said it frightened him considerably, I would think that is the medical issue referred to.

But he said the main reason fot stepping away was his inability to committ fully to the hurling with his responsibilities in his job in ardkeen. We knew he would he a big loss at the time he stepped away, but I didn't think it would be so keenly felt. We really could do with him going forward, just what we lack - a ball winning forward with an eye for a score too.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Another year lost if he stays on. We don’t need the sort of clear out people are claiming here, we need a good manager and some serious work on our forwards. All the issues can be fixed but another year of Fanning flapping about will be a disaster. We’ll probably see a few lads withdraw from the panel too and say what you want about that but the demands on youngfellas involved now are so great the least you can do is provide them with a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I'll probably be berated for this, however,

The talk of the players not wanting the manager they have, the downing of tools, not wanting to play

Supporters are guilty of this too.

Whether he is first choice, tenth choice or last choice, he is the manager.

They, and we all need to back him. Row in with him, for as long as he is here.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Captain, my captain.

I'd be saying the same of any manager that is there.

• Advertisement

While the players deserve the criticism they are receiving for their lack of effort the biggest reason for our poor showing has been paraic fanning and his ridiculously negative tactics. The man has to go.

Negative tactics?? This team doesn’t know anything else except negative tactics..
    Hard to blame the manager if the so called leaders in the set up have decided to switch off. They scored 2-17 last night with a team of relative newbies whereas go back to the previous 2 games and they hardly scored 2-17 between them.
    Im not saying fanning is the greatest manager of all time and there are certainly a lot of things he needs to get right on the mgmt side-:
    Backroom team
    Coaches
    Selectors- people who are widely respected by players and supporters alike- breeds confidence into the setup.

But for me Players need to step up, play for their county jersey, work hard and treat it with respect irrespective of who is manager. Old values

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭upthedeise16

deise08 wrote: »

The talk of the players not wanting the manager they have, the downing of tools, not wanting to play

Captain, my captain.

An intercounty career is short, if I was playing, I would want the best in place while I was playing. Not excusing for the lack of effort over the last few games which has been appalling but I agree with a previous poster that staying with Fanning may be another year wasted.

The management of the team has not been good this year tactically, there’s been no game plan to be seen clearly in all 4 games. For a simple example I pick midfield, I count Conor Gleeson, Kevin Moran, Jack Prendergast, Austin Gleeson, Mikey Kearney, Colin Dunford (a sub for a short period), Brian O’Halloran have partnered Barron at different stages and that doesn't include Brick in the league final. Barrons form hasn’t been up to scratch but I do feel the opinion that he has downed tools to be harsh. It was crazy to take him off against Clare and leave others equally as poor and poorer on. Against Tipp, I felt he was the one leader who helped drag Waterford back into the match and won massive frees and tried to inspire others with his body language but he ran out of steam. Fully agree he was poor against Limerick but I thought he showed flashes yesterday and certainly worked hard. A midfield partnership needs to be stable, look at Cork against Tipp when Cooper was out? For all the talent Fitzgibbon has, he needed his partner. Tipp now have McGrath and Breen, solid out and getting results. Limerick had Lynch and Donovan, Galway Burke and Coen, again very solid and winning All-Ireland’s. We had Barron and Moran, a top class midfield to rival anyone but this year we haven’t. Anyone who feels Barron should be dropped needs their head checked, we need a partner for him to build a team around.

Next part of the issues with the management, the players don’t look fit and their first touch has been deplorable so training hasn’t been up to scratch. Attitudes have been poor and the players don’t seem to want to play for him so man management hasn’t been good.
    I don’t know Fanning so this isn’t personal, it’s an observation and I feel a change is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Another year lost if he stays on. We don’t need the sort of clear out people are claiming here, we need a good manager and some serious work on our forwards. All the issues can be fixed but another year of Fanning flapping about will be a disaster. We’ll probably see a few lads withdraw from the panel too and say what you want about that but the demands on youngfellas involved now are so great the least you can do is provide them with a leader.

I agree with this. People seem to forget these aren't professional athletes at times. It's tough to expect a crowd of lads to put in the almost ridiculous amount of work and sacrifice required these days if they dont believe in what they are being asked to do. What would drag you into the gym or onto training fields in the middle of winter if you knew it was just going to end in defeat due to crap management.

Spatters wrote: »

Negative tactics?? This team doesn’t know anything else except negative tactics..
    Hard to blame the manager if the so called leaders in the set up have decided to switch off.

Look at the picture Wlr shared at half time yesterday from high up in Pairc UI Caoimh with the scorelines. One Waterford forward inside the cork 45. Same at times (Maurice) with a gale versus Limerick and even at times in the first half versus Clare.
    Are you really telling us that fanning as manager is not responsible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Barron hasn’t been near his best this year but don’t see how this means he’s acting the maggot or downing tools? A lack of a midfield partner has been a bigger issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

A great, well thought out post upthedeise.
    Thanks for taking the time to write it and explain.

Barron hasn’t been near his best this year but don’t see how this means he’s acting the maggot or downing tools? A lack of a midfield partner has been a bigger issue.

Up until the league final he was Waterfords best player. Even against Tipp, when the game was gone, he made a lung bursting run down the wing and tried to get the ball across goal for someone running in.

Even last night was on loads of ball, on another day could have had three points and I wonder what happened to his arm, likely feeling the effects of it. I agree, people stretching this not trying narrative way too far. Seems like in Waterford if you want your legacy to grow, just sit on the bench. Somebody will be raving about how good a minor you were...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

deise08 wrote: »

Captain, my captain.

Stevie Wonder !

Look at the picture Wlr shared at half time yesterday from high up in Pairc UI Caoimh with the scorelines. One Waterford forward inside the cork 45. Same at times (Maurice) with a gale versus Limerick and even at times in the first half versus Clare.

I see what you are saying but my point is if players don’t do what you instructed them to do, doesn’t matter who’s over them.
    This team have played negative hurling for 5 yrs and now we expect them to be attacking after 8 months???

We have good players but it will take time to change the mindset.

• Advertisement

I see what you are saying but my point is if players don’t do what you instructed them to do, doesn’t matter who’s over them.
    This team have played negative hurling for 5 yrs and now we expect them to be attacking after 8 months???

We have good players but it will take time to change the mindset.

Sorry don't agree. That's what the managers job is to do. Do they not do video analysis and give feedback to every player after each game.
    Do you really think the corner forwards are drifting our towards midfield off their own back.
    The reality is fanning has the same sort of tactics as Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Played 4 lost 4
    Beaten out the gate and humiliated in three of the fixtures.
    Conceded 7-104
    End up with a worse points difference than Carlow in Leinster

And Fanning wants to stay on?
    If anyone reading this knows the man will you ask him please to do the only right thing for Waterford hurling.
    Step down now with grace .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

From the outside looking in, It looked like the players tried to play yesterday off their own bat and not for the manager. He looked like a guy watching the team rather than managing.

That was just my thoughts looking at him. I don't think the players have any faith in him but he obviously hopes to win them over in time. But how long would that take and should he even get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

HT All-Ireland football qualifier round 1

Westmeath 0-9 Waterford 0-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

From the outside looking in, It looked like the players tried to play yesterday off their own bat and not for the manager. He looked like a guy watching the team rather than managing.

That was just my thoughts looking at him. I don't think the players have any faith in him but he obviously hopes to win them over in time. But how long would that take and should he even get it?

Very interesting observation, I felt the same and a supporter next to me said the same thing, no real tactics on display and some of our good play was very much off the cuff from guys showing a bit of freedom. Unfortunately a serious lack of fitness from our panel really added gloss to the scoreline and allowed Cork some shooting practice.

Very interesting observation, I felt the same and a supporter next to me said the same thing, no real tactics on display and some of our good play was very much off the cuff from guys showing a bit of freedom. Unfortunately a serious lack of fitness from our panel really added gloss to the scoreline and allowed Cork some shooting practice.

I remember Paul O Connell once telling the Lions “Let's be the best at everything that requires no talent” - there’s no real excuse for not being fit. The lads were in some nick in 2017 for the run to the final, I wonder is the programming much different this year.

• Advertisement

Sorry don't agree. That's what the managers job is to do. Do they not do video analysis and give feedback to every player after each game.
    Do you really think the corner forwards are drifting our towards midfield off their own back.
    The reality is fanning has the same sort of tactics as Derek

Right we’ll leave it there so.
    We’ll have to meet up for a coffee ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember Paul O Connell once telling the Lions “Let's be the best at everything that requires no talent” - there’s no real excuse for not being fit. The lads were in some nick in 2017 for the run to the final, I wonder is the programming much different this year.

Gary Walsh was the S&C coach for the last few years but he isn’t involved this year. I’m open to correction but I think Stephen Barrett, the nutritionist, is the S&C coach. To what degree he’s qualified I’m not sure of. Fitness was seriously worrying in the four games though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Retiring has done Tom devine the world of good. He has become a legend all of sudden. Good hurler but not the answers to our prayers. Took 3 attempts to pick up the ball everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

HT All-Ireland football qualifier round 1

Westmeath 0-9 Waterford 0-1

Westmeath 1-22 Waterford 0-7 Result

Right we’ll leave it there so.
    We’ll have to meet up for a coffee ;-)

After the last fella stood me up I'm not waisting any more money on coffees and hot chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Lots of similarities as I pointed out between Clare and ourselves. At half time in the LK game they are 8 pts down.....only one guy has scored (duggan) and all their big players have dipped since hey barely near us........could easlily be the next Offaly as much as Waterford can....yet Nobody seems to be pointing out how ****e they are......?

What's with the obsession about Offaly on this thread?

Ok Westmeath/Carlow rather than Offaly.

Clare were a hairs breath away from a final appearance last year.......barely beat the worst team of ‘top tier’ this year......

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Lots of similarities as I pointed out between Clare and ourselves. At half time in the LK game they are 8 pts down.....only one guy has scored (duggan) and all their big players have dipped since hey barely near us........could easlily be the next Offaly as much as Waterford can....yet Nobody seems to be pointing out how ****e they are......?

I don't care what they're at above in Clare. Would be more worried about ourselves and what we can do to sort ourselves out. If there's a bit of external pressure from rte panelists or whoever highlighting the shambles that we currently are then hopefully it amplifies the pressure on county board, players and management to sort this crap out.

Ropaire wrote: »
    I don't care what they're at above in Clare. Would be more worried about ourselves and what we can do to sort ourselves out. If there's a bit of external pressure from rte panelists or whoever highlighting the shambles that we currently are then hopefully it amplifies the pressure on county board, players and management to sort this crap out.

Agreed.

Road-Hog wrote: »

Yea, we’re both sh*te. The difference is those Clare lads have an All Ireland medal in the back pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

The Elephant in the room is with the big crowds seemingly in this years championships we could be seemingly stuck in this Munster group of death championship format which in our current state of disarray is not going to do us any favours what so ever !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

decies wrote: »
    The Elephant in the room is with the big crowds seemingly in this years championships we could be seemingly stuck in this Munster group of death championship format which in our current state of disarray is not going to do us any favours what so ever !!

The teams we have best records against are non munster teams. Galway, Offaly, Wexford, Dublin. The current system is a bit of a disaster for us because all the other Munster teams have a psychological edge over us. I think it will be done away with eventually.

debok wrote: »
    Retiring has done Tom devine the world of good. He has become a legend all of sudden. Good hurler but not the answers to our prayers. Took 3 attempts to pick up the ball everytime.
    kind of agree
    With this .you'd swear we were talking about bonnar Maher ,

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

bemmet wrote: »
    Played 4 lost 4
    Beaten out the gate and humiliated in three of the fixtures.
    Conceded 7-104
    End up with a worse points difference than Carlow in Leinster

And Fanning wants to stay on?
    If anyone reading this knows the man will you ask him please to do the only right thing for Waterford hurling.
    Step down now with grace .

I will pass on that message no problem, anything else??

But just incase he asks what is your credentials as a manager??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

The teams we have best records against are non munster teams. Galway, Offaly, Wexford, Dublin. The current system is a bit of a disaster for us because all the other Munster teams have a psychological edge over us. I think it will be done away with eventually.

With all the talk about how unfair it is that we can't be relegated like Carlow, I'd say it's only a matter of time before it's changed again in some form. There's loads of options to change it up if you were to scrap the provincial competitions but that wouldn't go down well I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

With all the talk about how unfair it is that we can't be relegated like Carlow, I'd say it's only a matter of time before it's changed again in some form. There's loads of options to change it up if you were to scrap the provincial competitions but that wouldn't go down well I'd imagine.

Ya it would be a pity to lose it because there is a unique atmosphere at Munster games. But if ourselves and Clare start falling off the pace then they will probably have to change it up

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

kind of agree
    With this .you'd swear we were talking about bonnar Maher ,

I'd have Tom Devine in the forwards ahead of lots of fellas who have seen game time the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Because for a number of reasons, including county board ineptitude, Offaly have fallen steadily from being a top tier hurling county to almost a third tier hurling county. And we want to avoid this happening to Waterford , after being consistently there or thereabouts for the last 20 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ya it would be a pity to lose it because there is a unique atmosphere at Munster games. But if ourselves and Clare start falling off the pace then they will probably have to change it up

Kilkenny in danger of been knocked out next weekend. There quite influential on these sort of matters when things go against then

Personally hate the system and feel the All Ireland is gone from the Championship as 4 teams between Munster and Leinster will not face anyone outside or there province. At least with the old system it was 9/10 chance of Munster vs Leinster for all teams in the championship

First of all very disappointed with the summer from us after all the hype from the league final. Serious issues in the squad and the management are not doing things right. 2020 could he another disaster if things dont change during the off season. Its ****ing annoying watching all the others battle it out while we sit at home watching

What a spectacular failure, the management has to go .no balls at all , the failure to see that some lads were well past their best and some of the lads on the panel were decent honest hard working good hurlers , they needed to clear out the also rans , o Brien,DJ, mc nulty, a lot of good or so called man markers c gleeson, Philip Mahoney, etc ,another waste of a good spot D Fives, probably one of the most overrated players TDB is probably the most disappointing ,really poor , K,Moran ,Brick, etc etc .the management team , I think I asked before did any of them actually win anything in management at any age ? Its hard to fault any of the forwards over the last few years considering the absolute negative nonsense we have being playing ,you need real balls and honesty, they would be two of the most important traits a manager should have and not many of them seem to have it ,pity , its a simple game really !

Waterford footballers v Westmeath
    OMG what a beating to get in football.
    No proper Support structures at underage again shining through.

How can the Co board be happy with their contribution to the promotion of both hurling and football in this county

What a spectacular failure, the management has to go .no balls at all , the failure to see that some lads were well past their best and some of the lads on the panel were decent honest hard working good hurlers , they needed to clear out the also rans , o Brien,DJ, mc nulty, a lot of good or so called man markers c gleeson, Philip Mahoney, etc ,another waste of a good spot D Fives, probably one of the most overrated players TDB is probably the most disappointing ,really poor , K,Moran ,Brick, etc etc .the management team , I think I asked before did any of them actually win anything in management at any age ? Its hard to fault any of the forwards over the last few years considering the absolute negative nonsense we have being playing ,you need real balls and honesty, they would be two of the most important traits a manager should have and not many of them seem to have it ,pity , its a simple game really !

Name your 30 players for next year then.

Name your 30 players for next year then.
    Stopitboywillya ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m open to correction but I think we’ve lost every competitive Championship fixture from minor - senior in both hurling and football this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement