Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Has the Walsh Park redevelopment been delayed again due to state funding not being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Has the Walsh Park redevelopment been delayed again due to state funding not being released?

No sign of a tender on the public procurement web site so having works complete for next May seems unlikely at moment.

However the GAA are probably be bound by public procurement rules so they may have got a contractor lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Road-Hog wrote: »
    No sign of a tender on the public procurement web site so having works complete for next May seems unlikely at moment.

However the GAA are probably be bound by public procurement rules so they may have got a contractor lined up

They'll probably only be following public procurement rules if they're using public money, but they're own rules shouldn't be too far away you'd imagine.

I don't think it was ever realistic to expect championship games to be hosted there in 2020.

I could actually see this playing a role in decision making regarding the senior hurling management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Road-Hog wrote: »
    There are plenty of sports journalists eg vincent Hogan, Sean Moran etc who never even coached a team who write articles like mcgrath particularly hogan so don’t be going over the top on criticism of mcgrath. Yes he uses Shakespeare quotes and ‘big words’ but so did guys like yer man cashman (Kevin I think it was) who used to write years ago....

Kevin Cashman was one of the greatest Hurling writers of all time. Derek McGrath is small town teacher who writes stories like a transition year student

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

They mentioned on wlr this morning a start date of September next for construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Kevin Cashman was one of the greatest Hurling writers of all time. Derek McGrath is small town teacher who writes stories like a transition year student

Put down the lemons and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The CB wont step in regarding the issues with Fanning as PJR himself said he saw no discontent in the camp

Waterford GAA Fixtures

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Senior Hurling Championship Round 2

Thursday 20th June
    •Lismore v Ballyduff Upper
    in Cappoquin
    @ 7:45pm

Saturday 22nd June
    •Tallow v Clonea
    in Fraher Field
    @ 6pm
    •Fourmilewater v Roanmore
    in Fraher Field
    @ 7:30pm

•Abbeyside v Mount Sion
    in Walsh Park
    @ 7pm

Sunday 23rd June
    •De la Salle v Passage
    in Walsh Park
    @ 2pm
    •Dungarvan v Ballygunner
    in Walsh Park
    @ 3:45pm

Waterford GAA Fixtures

JJ Kavanagh & Sons Senior Hurling Championship Round 2

Thursday 20th June
    •Lismore v Ballyduff Upper
    in Cappoquin
    @ 7:45pm

Saturday 22nd June
    •Tallow v Clonea
    in Fraher Field
    @ 6pm
    •Fourmilewater v Roanmore
    in Fraher Field
    @ 7:30pm

•Abbeyside v Mount Sion
    in Walsh Park
    @ 7pm

Sunday 23rd June
    •De la Salle v Passage
    in Walsh Park
    @ 2pm
    •Dungarvan v Ballygunner
    in Walsh Park
    @ 3:45pm

The Sunday walsh park double bill looks tasty.

Fairly hard seeing this back so early while other counties are gearing up for provincial finals/All ireland QFs. I suppose Galway/Clare and Carlow supporters are feeling the same

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Sunday walsh park double bill looks tasty.

Fairly hard seeing this back so early while other counties are gearing up for provincial finals/All ireland QFs. I suppose Galway/Clare and Carlow supporters are feeling the same

Agree, first match is hard to call, probably go with DLS. Dungarvan supposed to be going well, hammered Abbeyside in the league last weekend and Ballygunner down a few including Philip Mahoney, would still expect them to have too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Anyone go to America in the end?

Anyone go to America in the end?

Think Aussie ,TDB and Jack Prendergast are going in July

Clubs no doubt paying big expenses for these players to go out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think Aussie ,TDB and Jack Prendergast are going in July

Clubs no doubt paying big expenses for these players to go out there.
    How does that work, how are they able to play for a club over there while being a part of a club at home? Are there rules around this?

Also, if they go over there for the summer does that essentially mean they make themselves unavailable for their club championship games at home or how does that work? What reason would clubs over in the states have to entice players to come over (to the extent of actually covering their expenses etc.)
    I'm just curious about how the whole thing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Weekend transfers in New York - 5/10 grand for 3 days work generally

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I’m not sure about New York. There definitely used to be weekend transfers but whether that’s still permitted I’m not sure.
    Most of Waterford players last year went to San Fran teams and a few to Boston. I think once you officially “transfer” to them you become ineligible for your home club for a period of time, possibly 60 days but again I’m not certain of the length of time. Most states now have a limit on how many intercounty transfer players you can play at any one time so as to limit this. If you are transferred to a club before a certain date, say the start of June for example, you count as a home player. If you join after this date you count as a transfer.

In terms of payment I don’t think it is anywhere near as lucrative as made out here. All of the Waterford players last year were put to work during their time in San Fran, generally in construction. The payments are generally withheld until the very end for fear of players returning home from games or what not and the accommodation is usually just a house with beds / mattresses thrown everywhere to fit as many players as possible.
    Meanwhile there were former Kilkenny players out there last year too who received handsome packages and didn’t have to work. Perhaps this is because they agreed to the transfer early in the year as they weren’t tied by inter county commitments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I heard twas 50,000 grand for 15 minutes work and ya get 5 woman. They also get a gold car to drive around in !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

When I did it you couldn't play for your home club for 60 days, but New York had it's own rules.

Most senior players will get their flights paid for, set up with a job if they want it, set up with accommodation with either the first month or all of it paid for depending on your deal. Some lads will get cash into the paw as well.

They want you working though as it keeps lads from getting homesick, keeps lads fit and off the beer (but there's still lots of that!). You'd get $150-200 per day without too much hassle, even if you don't have a trade.

One lad the club recruited was an All Star the previous year, his wife and children were all sorted out for accommodation and flights out there.

I know my team spent over $100k bringing lads out for the summer when I was there, but some of the top players were rumoured to be getting $20k.

In 2008 Joe Canning got $10k for a weekend transfer to New York to play in county final. I know that for a fact as I was there when it happened. That was 10 years ago.

Going rate for a weekend transfer to New York is $5k flights and accom for top intercounty players. Austin is prob in the $10k+ category.

All other jurisdictions are 60 day transfers. Connolly reportedly got $40k for his summers work last year in Boston, most of northie clubs pay savage cash for lads. Hurling is the poor relation in most areas bar NYC and the weekend transfers (you are allowed 2 per weekend, ship them in and out in 72 hours).

One club was paying $10k to Aussie for the summer and it was all agreed. but pulled out in the last minute, They got advice from back home not to waste the money that his head isn’t right and he’s ‘on the beer’ so spent the money someone else instead

As it turns out now he’s still going, agreed to join Tipperary NY for only a fraction of what he was going to get

if thats the case then the advise must have been right day one!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Solid win for lismore in first game of the weekend, beat ballyduff upper 1-21 to 0-15.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Solid win for lismore in first game of the weekend, beat ballyduff upper 1-21 to 0-15.

Maurice was unplayable, even when Ballyduff put a sweeper in front of him. Impressed with Daly at centre back as well, only finished school so has a lot of potential

The waterford lads will be flying for there clubs going by Maurices showing tonight

Dan came on apparently for lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Lismore were comfortable winners tonight against a poor Ballyduff outfit. Maurice was on fire and really was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. Jack Prendergast when moved to midfield for the second half put in a huge shift as did young Iarlaith Daly in the half back line. He is definitely a talent and one for the future. Seanie Barry made 2 brilliant saves in the second half and even if they were to have gone in it would have not been a true reflection of the game.
    Miley Kearney huffed and puffed but really produced very little as has been most of his year to date at inter county level. Could they be relegation candidates? They would be considered very much so after tonight. They played a sweeper in front of Maurice but to little success and all it did was free up John Prendergast or his brother David at different times to catch uncontested balls and deliver accurately to the Lismore forwards. Dan then arrived on for the last 10mins and at 42 yrs old he is still a handful around the square. They have a nucleus of a good team but their efforts won’t be helped by the unavailability of Ray Barry due to work commitments for the next 2 years.
    As Derby games go it never caught fire as Lismore let by 11pts 15 minutes into the game and really never looked like relinquishing it from there on in. DLS, Ballygunner still look to be teams to be beat in this year’s championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Maurice was unplayable, even when Ballyduff put a sweeper in front of him. Impressed with Daly at centre back as well, only finished school so has a lot of potential

Anything to Growler?

Anything to Growler?

His son

• Advertisement

His son

Incorrect.

Possibly a nephew. But certainly not his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Possibly a nephew. But certainly not his son.

Yeah its his nephew. He'll be on the U20 panel this year. Should be anyway. That was the 2017 minor team who got awful beatings. But the minor/U17 in between that werent too bad so hopefully they will give a reasonable showing. Unkind draw away to Tipp so hard to expect much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Yeah its his nephew. He'll be on the U20 panel this year. Should be anyway. That was the 2017 minor team who got awful beatings. But the minor/U17 in between that werent too bad so hopefully they will give a reasonable showing. Unkind draw away to Tipp so hard to expect much

How did they end up going to CBC?

How did they end up going to CBC?

The talk was that their father wasn’t happy with who was over the Harty team in BCS one year and told the principal if this teacher was over the Harty he would move the boys to another school. The teacher remained in charge and the boys transferred school.

Any game on in Walsh Park before Abbeyside v Mount Sion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any game on in Walsh Park before Abbeyside v Mount Sion?

The camoige team beat Dublin earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

DiscoStew wrote: »
    The talk was that their father wasn’t happy with who was over the Harty team in BCS one year and told the principal if this teacher was over the Harty he would move the boys to another school. The teacher remained in charge and the boys transferred school.

Nothing to do with hurling. The parent working in Cork and probably decided it was as handy have them in school there.

Mount Sion 0-22
    Abbeyside 3-15
    Full time

Michael Kiely scored a goal within 2 minutes to put Abbeyside ahead and they never lost the lead. Kiely was exceptional in the first half. Prunty also scored two nice long range points. Aussie scored 4 first half points from midfield and could have had a goal but shot too close to the keeper after a good run through. He ended up with 6 or 7 points in total including a sideline. Abbeyside led by 2-10 to 0-10 at the break. Mount Sion battled hard in the second half with Midget getting more involved after he was moved off Prunty (centre back) but could never draw level and the third goal made it too much of an uphill battle. Good game.

Roanmore best Fourmilewater handy, think it was 6 in the end, poor match overall, Roanmore much better. Tallow beat Clonea by a goal in the opening match, was tight the whole way through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Mount Sion 0-22
    Abbeyside 3-15
    Full time

Did Aussie play for Mount Sion?

dobbs2210 wrote: »

He did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

He did

Good. How did he play? Fingers crossed he played well. Would be good to see him hit some form.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Mount Sion 0-22
    Abbeyside 3-15
    Full time

Yeah just updated my last post with more info on the game. Aussie was midfield and played ok. Hit over some nice points. 4 in the first half and I think he hit 7 in the end. He’s some man to hit a pass from a sideline cut.
    Went up forward for the last few minutes when they needed a goal and ended up on the ground wrestling with Prunty.

Anything to Growler?

Fortunately they’re not related at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Some interesting posts over the last few weeks with plenty of ideas on how to improve Waterford gaa. With Waterford gaa standards going downhill I think it's time for some changes to our competitions.

First competition that I would look at are our senior competitions - Senior Hurling and Senior Football.
    Senior Hurling and Football: A possible improvement could be:
    16 teams, 4 groups of four.
    3 of the groups made up of the 12 senior clubs. As is at the moment.
    One group consisting of 4 new group teams with teams made up of junior and intermediate clubs (not senior clubs second teams that play these grades) from each area, Waterford Urban (Erin's Own, Mount Sion, Ferrybank, Passage, Ballygunner, Roanmore, De La Salle, St. Saviours, Butlerstown, Tramore, Naomh Pol), Waterford East (Ballyduff Lower, Fenor, Dunhill, Bunmahon, Portlaw, Clonea, Kill, Ballydurn, St. Mollerans, Kilmacthomas), Mid County (Kilrossanty, Abbeyside, Dungarvan, Brickies, An Rinn, Ballinameela, Geraldines, Kilgobnet, Stradbally, Modeligo, St. Mary's) and Far West (Ardmore, Clashmore, Tallow, Ballyduff Upper, Ballysaggart, Lismore, Cappaquin, Tourin, Colligan, Fourmilewater, Shamrocks). I may have skipped a club or two or got my geography wrong.

Anyway like at present each team gets 3 group games. Rounds 1,2 and 3.

Round 4 sees the 4 teams that came 1st in their group play a team that came 2nd in another group. The winners of these games goes into the quarter finals.

Also in round 4, teams that came 3rd in their group play a team that came 4th in another group. The losers of 3rd v 4th games are into relegation but group teams cannot be relegated do exit here.

Round 5 The winner of 3rd v 4th in Round 4 play the losers of the 1st v 2nd games. The winners of these matches join the other 4 teams in the quarter finals.

Quarter final, Semi Final and then the County Final.

Benefits of this would be that more players get access to playing at a higher standard, especially players from junior or intermediate clubs. The group games from the group teams would be played midweek under lights so as not to interfere with the junior and intermediate championships.

Group teams have being tried before and were a disaster. I can remember playing myself against these teams and thrashing them. The reason why was the group teams were so badly organised. Here is where our gdas/gpos/full time coaches should play their part. At present I think we have 4 full time coaching personnel and each one of these should be given a group team that they are responsible for. If their group team is a disaster then it will reflect badly on that full time coach. I'm pretty sure they will make it work for their own sake. These coaches already have worked in these areas, should know the best players but should also know interested coaches/ selectors in their area through delivering coach education courses. Players who may have played with underage county teams will no longer see their standards dropping due to playing at a lower level with their club once they finish playing underage with the county. Likewise players who never played underage county but improved as they get older will be given the opportunity to test themselves against the best in the county.

The second big problem for senior players in both grades is the inactivity while our county teams are competing. Let's be honest the Waterford county leagues are a bit of a joke, with walkovers often given and league finals often being played the following year. I believe a proactive county secretary could and should set up a South East league in both hurling and football in cooperation with the other paid secretaries from Wexford, kilkenny, Carlow and Tipperary. Groups could be established with maybe 5 or 6 clubs in a group. Group games are played Jan to March. The top 3 teams in each group then go onto the knockout stages which would be played in may and June. The benefit of this is players get regular games against teams from other counties in a competitive environment. I know many senior clubs already play challenge games against clubs from other counties but I'm sure players from these clubs get sick of playing challenge games and would prefer more competitive games with a trophy/championship at stake.

Anyway just some thoughts on how we can improve. Would like to hear other posters thoughts or even better would be some new ideas to improve the lot of our adult players and teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Also I would like to see the county secretary set up an over 35s competition for both hurling and football. Waterford soccer has such a league with about 16 teams in it I believe.
    This would give older players the chance to still play without having to run around after young fellas. If you are over 35 and playing at a higher level already (Dan shanahan) you can't play both grades.
    The major benefit to this would be that it keeps older players involved in their clubs and they would then be more likely to help out and get involved with other adult or underage teams if they feel more apart of the club.
    Of course clubs should be allowed join to make a combined team if they don't have the full numbers for a team.

Also I would like to see the county secretary set up an over 35s competition for both hurling and football. Waterford soccer has such a league with about 16 teams in it I believe.
    This would give older players the chance to still play without having to run around after young fellas. If you are over 35 and playing at a higher level already (Dan shanahan) you can't play both grades.
    The major benefit to this would be that it keeps older players involved in their clubs and they would then be more likely to help out and get involved with other adult or underage teams if they feel more apart of the club.
    Of course clubs should be allowed join to make a combined team if they don't have the full numbers for a team.

Some very interesting proposals and ones that could and should be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

cul beag wrote: »
    Some very interesting proposals and ones that could and should be looked at.

Surely we should be working to get youth involved and tackling why so many drop out...instead of aiming at keeping ould lads in the game

It's fairly bad out. Presumably Walsh Park will take the rain this time of year and the matches will go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Plenty of clubs struggling to field teams relying on 17 yr olds and lads over 35 to do so. So I can't see how you could think there would be appetite for an over 35s competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

I'd say a lot of lads over 35 just wouldn't be able to contribute to game where most of the players are 20-25. Now give them a pitch with 29 other hasbeens and they might have a crack at it. I still would agree with you and would be surprised if the demand is there.

Result in first game at Walsh park is a win for dls over passage, 2-15 to 1-12. Deserved win in poor conditions for hurling

Ballygunner beat dungarvan in the second game at Walsh park. Finished 1-18 to 0-14 after dungarvan were a po8nt up at half time and should have been further ahead.

Thought Dungarvan could have pushed on a bit better in the second half against a weakened Ballygunner side. Not good when Ballygunner were missing about 5 of their usual starting defenders and they still win. Great penalty save by SOK in the first half.

Passage put in a better second half effort against de la Salle but just not good enough on the day.

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of lads over 35 just wouldn't be able to contribute to game where most of the players are 20-25. Now give them a pitch with 29 other hasbeens and they might have a crack at it. I still would agree with you and would be surprised if the demand is there.

I would say there definitely is demand there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement