Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Harnedy took a lot out of the ball for that goal to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

Harnedy took at least 9 steps for the goal and the panel just brush over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Harnedy took a lot out of the ball for that goal to be fair

Was wondering at the game why Dan was so incensed by the goal, can see why now. Sums up the way the year has gone, everything that could possibly go against us did.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

5948ai wrote: »

I think the panel said he took a touch on the hurley? Must be honest that I didn't see it but they presumably saw more angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

People should be careful what they wish for. Derek is the best manager we've had in my lifetime. Yet people want him out without even being able to name a good replacement. Seems pretty foolish to me.

Anyone who thinks this season is a fair reflection on him should cop the feck on. Nobody could legislate for the crazy run of injuries/decisions. If the players are behind him and he wants to, he should get one more year

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

SW1985 wrote: »
    People should be careful what they wish for. Derek is the best manager we've had in my lifetime. Yet people want him out without even being able to name a good replacement. Seems pretty foolish to me.

Anyone who thinks this season is a fair reflection on him should cop the feck on. Nobody could legislate for the crazy run of injuries/decisions. If the players are behind him and he wants to, he should get one more year
    **** no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

He played the ball. Eddie said on the Sunday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Unbelievably another 4 players went off injured today too - Noel Connors, Stephen Bennett, Brian O'Halloran and Jake Dillon. Bennett looked particularly bad leaving the field.

So between losing fellas before the first game then the plethora of injuries sustained in the 4 games, thats Shane Fives, Daragh Fives, Barry Coughlan, Connors, De Burca, Austin Gleeson, Pauric Mahony, Maurice Shanahan, Dillon, O'Halloran, Bennett who all suffered injuries of some sort the past 6 weeks or so. Have i left any out??

Unreal list of injuries in fairness, I've never seen a team suffer so many in a season. Very difficult to cover those injuries, fair play to some of the lads who came into the side in the circumstances, Tommy Ryan and DJ Foran both finish with reputations significantly improved in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

There were 9 steps after touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

There were 9 steps after touch!

He said he touched it in those 9 steps.

• Advertisement

He played the ball. Eddie said on the Sunday game.

Eddie also thought Patrick Curran was playing today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

McGrath out.

Thanks for everything Derek but its time to give someone else a chance.

He said he touched it in those 9 steps.

Well case closed then...

Watched the close up replay myself, definitely took about 9 after the touch. To be fair to the ref, in real time it happened quite fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great movement by Barron/Dunford and Brick for the Waterford goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Unbelievably another 4 players went off injured today too - Noel Connors, Stephen Bennett, Brian O'Halloran and Jake Dillon. Bennett looked particularly bad leaving the field.

So between losing fellas before the first game then the plethora of injuries sustained in the 4 games, thats Shane Fives, Daragh Fives, Barry Coughlan, Connors, De Burca, Austin Gleeson, Pauric Mahony, Maurice Shanahan, Dillon, O'Halloran, Bennett who all suffered injuries of some sort the past 6 weeks or so. Have i left any out??

Unreal list of injuries in fairness, I've never seen a team suffer so many in a season. Very difficult to cover those injuries, fair play to some of the lads who came into the side in the circumstances, Tommy Ryan and DJ Foran both finish with reputations significantly improved in fairness.

Yeah we had a bad run with injuries but he has a panel of 34 players with some of them there 5 years and they’ve only gotten a chance because of injuries to key players. Why weren’t they used in the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

1 league title in 5 years with probably tge best bunch of players we're ever likely to see emerge at the one time in waterford is a pitiful return

They done their level best to lose last year' quater first v kk and no attempt made in last 20 mins of ordinary time to change things...

.he said he wasn't taking the league seriously and to judge on championship....well we've lost 3 outta 4 games

5 years with a system that isn't working and the sole tweek he's made is basically lump ball on top of Tom Devine and dj foran. ....he's basically destroyed hake dillion as a hurler

We've got good days out of this team....but none this year and tbh it's time for a change

Previously one of best supported teams and noe people are voting with their feet as noone wants to pay in to see the rubbish being played under him.

What changes do you see that he'll change next year vs the previous 5 that makes you think he should get another year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Very good post, people should be very very careful what they wish for because some of the names that are being suggested and recommend to take over is funny and comical to say the least.

Derek has done a tremendous job, you could see the unbelievable togetherness and energy today between the panel and management on the sideline.

Not a huge number of Waterford faithful travelled today which was disappointing. I enjoyed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Give him another year on what basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Eddie also thought the game was on in Cork.

The lads who say Derek deserves another year, tell us why in more detail. What tweaks tactically have been made this year that ye think worked well. What players came in and did well when genuinely given their chance, excluding lads thrown in the deep end when needs must because of the injuries? Tell us one instance at any point over the course of any of our championship games where you can say "that bit of play was down to good coaching" that was do e by us and not our opponents please.

• Advertisement

If we are to get a new manager I reckon Anthony Daly will do everything he can to get it. He’s a big fan of this team and I remember last year he was saying that he thought there was a couple of All Ireland’s in them if last September went our way. DJ Carey is the name being whispered around the panel from what I heard today. Either he or Daly would be the men to take this team forward and bring Sean Power into the set up too.

Daly worked with a very average group of players when he was with Clare and he got them to Croke Park a few times, despite not winning a game in Munster. He did very well with Dublin and his man management is meant to be his greatest strength. He knows the game inside out and he’s a winner. I reckon he’s our best shot at this stage and like I said, he loves this team and it’s maknstays such as Barron, Paudi Mahony and Kevin Moran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I reckon he’s our best shot at this stage and like I said, he loves this team and it’s maknstays such as Barron, Paudi Mahony and Kevin Moran.[/quote]

What bull. He loved the money more like it. He couldnt give two hoots about waterford.
    Whatever we can say about McGrath we cant deny he gave it his all and is a proud Waterford man.
    However its time for a change as the whole thing has gone stale.

I reckon he’s our best shot at this stage and like I said, he loves this team and it’s maknstays such as Barron, Paudi Mahony and Kevin Moran.

What bull. He loved the money more like it. He couldnt give two hoots about waterford.
    Whatever we can say about McGrath we cant deny he gave it his all and is a proud Waterford man.
    However its time for a change as the whole thing has gone stale.[/quote]

He loved the money? I’m sure he still does

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I reckon he’s our best shot at this stage and like I said, he loves this team and it’s maknstays such as Barron, Paudi Mahony and Kevin Moran.

However its time for a change as the whole thing has gone stale.[/quote]

Don’t think for a second that the current man isn’t being well reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I want change. The only thing I would be afraid of, is that we end up with a worse manager, but i guess that's sport!

I don't think McGrath is terrible, but we have had some extremely poor years under him.

Don't think Daly has much love for Waterford based on two incidents that happened as a player.

Sheedy would never take it, mad people are even suggesting it. I think it would probably be best to see change but at the same time it as a concern nobody has mentioned a viable replacement yet.

Just waiting for somebody to mention Donal o Grady at this rate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

So a decent performance all things considered yesterday. Very solid first half with some excellent point taking, contrasted with some poor wides from Cork, I felt we should have been further ahead at half time. Ultimately the critical period was the first 15 mins or so after half time. We scored only 1 point and Cork got the game back to level. Then the goal gave us a good lift and this almost carried us over the line but just ran out of steam toward the end, in a close game the team with something to play for is almost always going to get the win and it worked out that way. There was some periods during the game of poor hurling from both sides with mistakes a plenty, one episode that culminated with Iggy overhitting a short puck out to Ian Kenny springs to mind, some Junior club standard stuff from both teams.

Thought Tommy Ryan was excellent and agree with a previous poster that he should start more often, he just gets scores. Seamus Keating had one or two nervy moments after he was introduced but was then excellent, we definitely need to see more of him next season. Mahony was good but faded toward the end, both he and Gleeson still not fully fit on suspects. I thought Jake Dillon had a good game and we missed him when he went off.

Poor enough Waterford crowd again, perhaps not so much of a surprise this time round, although disappointing more didnt turn up for the occasion of Brick breaking the record and more than likely his last match. Speaking of the Brick, the guy is a class act, my 3yr old son was attending his first championship match and Brick was more than happy to stop for a picture and a few words to him, the young lad hasnt stopped going on about Michael Brick Walsh since.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Given the injuries sustained during the Clare game I think the performance of the team over the championship was commendable. There is no doubt they buy into the collective and that is the most important building block for whoever is in charge for the next few years. The way the league was approached didn’t help, players who should have seen time didn’t and left us very exposed to injuries and suspensions. Fair play to the fringe players who stood up well when called on. In particular I’m pleased that Seamus Keating got a chance yesterday and given his size, pace and power, along with Conor Prunty, gives us some good options for 2019 in defence. This year unfortunately is all about what ifs. The Tip result was a travesty, the momentum lost by not closing that game out cost us a performance in limerick and might have got us over the line yesterday. I’m not sure Derek can see beyond his favoured players and some like Colin Dunford have regressed as players due I think to not getting sufficient time. I’ve heard from a few people that Jason Ryan is going to get the gig for the next few years. I’m not sure who he’d have with him but his ability to develop a full squad is supposed to be very good. If Derek does stand down I’d like to say thanks for the time and effort he, Dan and the rest of the back room team have put in. my Kids and I have enjoyed some fabulous days out over the last 4 years and I’m old enough to remember being at the 82 and 83 Munster massacres. There is the nucleus of a fine team to build on. That legacy should not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Proud of the Team,
    Proud of the Players,
    Proud to be from Waterford.

We finished with a lot of new guys, they all did well it is just a shame they hadn't more of a chance before now,

A panel like Waterfords now is an attractive proposition, top class guys, full of leaders, I'd say it would be more difficult to pick out a manager who could ruin the culture than it would be to pick someone who could come in and keep this has moving in the same direction, that is a player lead culture of excellence.

If McGrath goes the players will know who they want, the majority of players had huge time for McGrath, over the last five years Waterford teams played as a group highly motivated and hard working individuals.

I am sure McGrath can be credited somewhat with this but at the end of the day that comes from within, especially over that period of time, it doesn't come from a manager or someone else.

Whatever happens Waterford will have a team full of highly skilled, huge hearted players who will kill for the jersey and live or die with the boots on and whatever the result we can all leave proud. Things may change of this year but that won't.

It's a new era for Waterford, gone are the days of bad temperaments and lame excuses, any young player coming in is being shown the right way.

How much of that culture is down to Brick Walsh? The best player we have ever produced and if we have seen the last of him on the field hopefully we will see him on the line soon. He will be the best manager Waterford every produced in time to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

Deiseen wrote: »
    I want change. The only thing I would be afraid of, is that we end up with a worse manager, but i guess that's sport!

I don't think McGrath is terrible, but we have had some extremely poor years under him.

I'm not a Waterford man but I can't believe what you have written there. Mc Grath did brilliantly with that team. You got to the final last year and no one could have coped with all the bad luck you had this year. Your county board has to insist on home games in Kilkenny next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fantastic showing from Tommy Ryan, besides the highlights the Sunday game showed I thought he did well under a few high balls and in general play, a real all round performance. A mention to Paraic Mahony as well, thought he was very busy and got a few scores from play which seemed to be from interceptions/work rate.

The losing of the game was probably two points succeeded in quick succession half way through the second half. The first a pass that went to the sideline under Ian Kenny's legs and in the next play Iggy pucked out straight to a Cork player who pointed. This brought the game to 16 - 16, a big two point swing at that stage and a momentum shifter.

A mention also to Brick, couldn't help but remember seeing him in Dungarvan a few weeks ago on the way into the shopping centre. A young kid in a Galway jersey kept looking back at him to which Brick gave him a thumbs up and pulled a few faces. A genuine class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Cork "fan" sitting next to me in old stand section 206 seat T27 was the most disgraceful person I've seen at a match in a long time. In his seventies possibly late 60s and f'ed and blinded the whole way through. When Bennett was injured he was yelling to get him off the field despite Bennett clearly in bother. No respect for player welfare. I said he was an idiot and a disgrace that there were kid's around. He starts calling me this that and the other.

Not to excuse his behavior but I'll admit some of us were fairly pissed off on the new stand at the apparent time wasting getting Bennett off the field.

Obviously Bennett had nothing to do with it, imo the ref had lost control a bit and should have instructed him to leave the field on the near side. What's the rule on that btw? I suppose most of the seven minutes resulted from that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

thefloss wrote: »
    Not to excuse his behavior but I'll admit some of us were fairly pissed off on the new stand at the apparent time wasting getting Bennett off the field.

Obviously Bennett had nothing to do with it, imo the ref had lost control a bit and should have instructed him to leave the field on the near side. What's the rule on that btw? I suppose most of the seven minutes resulted from that then.

Don't think it's fair to call it time wasting. Stephen looked wobbly a few times trying to stand so he was clearly in trouble. Would have been bad form to make him go the long way around. I just wonder why there were no paramedics / red cross people in the grounds coming to help him off the pitch.

thefloss wrote: »

Surely it was clear by the time he was leaving the field that it may be a serious injury? I was in the old stand a good distance away and it seemed he was in considerable distress. We were wondering why they didn't put the lad on a stretcher to save him having to walk. Calling it time wasting is ridiculous, the player was clearly badly hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

crossman47 wrote: »
    Your county board has to insist on home games in Kilkenny next year.

I would go so far as to say that all our games should be at a neutral venue. Our opponents all get two home games, which is a huge advantage. Since we don't have this advantage then neither should we have the disadvantage of being forced to play away. All our championship matches under the previous system used to be played at neutral venues, so it should be the same until we have a home ground that can host championship games.

Also, the two most suitable venues are Kilkenny and Thurles. No offence to the fine city of Limerick (sunny and buzzing on the bank holiday weekend!) or its excellent ground, but a home game should mean that home supporters at least have a shorter journey than the away fans. Limerick is very accessible from a lot of Tipperary, which meant that it was easier in some cases for their supporters to get to than even Thurles!

fricatus wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say that all our games should be at a neutral venue. Our opponents all get two home games, which is a huge advantage. Since we don't have this advantage then neither should we have the disadvantage of being forced to play away. All our championship matches under the previous system used to be played at neutral venues, so it should be the same until we have a home ground that can host championship games.

Also, the two most suitable venues are Kilkenny and Thurles. No offence to the fine city of Limerick (sunny and buzzing on the bank holiday weekend!) or its excellent ground, but a home game should mean that home supporters at least have a shorter journey than the away fans. Limerick is very accessible from a lot of Tipperary, which meant that it was easier in some cases for their supporters to get to than even Thurles!

On the side flip to that....it's hardly other county boards fault that waterford havnt a home ground fit to hold games and unfair to ask them to give up home advantage over it?

Blaas4life wrote: »
    On the side flip to that....it's hardly other county boards fault that waterford havnt a home ground fit to hold games and unfair to ask them to give up home advantage over it?

Yeah will never happen, because then some teams will have 1 home game where others have 2.

Sean Power on WLR earlier talking about the U21 game in Cork on Wednesday. I know manager's like to talk up the opposition, but I had been thinking we may have some chance until I heard him. Cork favourites for the All-Ireland, 14 or 15 of their u21s involved with the senior panel, they have moved the game to Pairc Ui Chaoimh they expect such a big Cork crowd. and we have 3 U21 players involved with the senior panel, 2 of whom are suffering long term injuries - Darragh Lyons and Conor Prunty, although Sean Power seemed tight lipped on whether they would play or not. Even if they play they have no hurling done so it is a big ask to come in and be up to speed. Power said they have other niggling injuries to other players too. Peter Hogan is the other senior panelist by the way.

I was planning to travel down to this but is it a case of lambs to the slaughter again, given all the above and considering our record over past few years at minor level? Or is Power bigging Cork up to set up the ambush? I'd love to think its the latter but the last 4 weeks have left an impact!!

fricatus wrote: »
    crossman47 wrote: »
    Your county board has to insist on home games in Kilkenny next year.

I think I actually gave this post a thumbs up by MISTAKE , basically your saying just because we have two **** home venues that other counties should hand up home advantage ,unreal , as if anyone in their right mind would even entertain this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Good news or bad news depending on your point of view.

Derek McGrath has stepped down as Waterford senior hurling manager.Informed board this evening

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭waterfordgirl

• Advertisement

Whoo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

So wonder who might be in the running
    Anthony daly
    Fergal Hartley
    Dj Carey
    Sean Power
    Peter Quelly
    Fintan o connor
    Jason ryan
    Ken Mcgrath
    Any others feel free to add:)

Good news or bad news depending on your point of view.

Derek McGrath has stepped down as Waterford senior hurling manager.Informed board this evening

Link

Good news imo

However he has left waterford in netter condition than when he took over

The next manager appointment for waterford is most important in a generation....get this wrong and it'll be a wasted generation

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

He gave it his best shot in fairness and got us very close to an all Ireland.

Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

What hurling team has Jason Ryan managed? Always mentioned, and I'm never sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

IanVW wrote: »
    So wonder who might be in the running
    Anthony daly
    Fergal Hartley
    Dj Carey
    Sean Power
    Peter Quelly
    Fintan o connor
    Jason ryan
    Ken Mcgrath
    Any others feel free to add:)

DJ the stand out there for me. I think he would probably be interested in gaining some intercounty experience too with a view to the Kilkenny job when Cody eventually leaves.
    Having Fergal Hartley, Seán Power, James O’Connor types involved, even just one of that type, could be useful way to introduce them to the intercounty scene.
    Peter Queally no thanks. Ken has a poor enough record thus far. Fintan O’Connor, no on so many different levels!
    Jason Ryan is often mentioned but I’m not sure why. He would need a serious management team with him I would think but maybe with Paul Flynn, Fergal Hartley for example that could be possible.
    I think Anthony Daly is content in his media duties while picking up a sizeable cheque on the Dublin club scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

I'd like to think I represent the vast majority of Waterford supporters in thanking Derek and his backroom team for their efforts over the last 5 years. I regularly disagreed with his tactics and team selections like many supporters did but there was no doubting his unwavering commitment and there is no doubt that he has left the panel in a better state than he inherited it in. The majority of players seemed to buy into his ideas and there seemed to be a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst the majority of the panel which was great to see and the lads never left anything out on the field under his management.

We had some bad days, particularly against Tipp who we failed to beat in the Championship under his management but also many good days, the highlight for me undoubtedly being the win over KK last year. Victories against Cork last year and defeating Clare in 2016 were also great days to be a Déise supporter.

Derek came in for a lot of personal criticism here at times which I always thought was unwarranted and I really hope him stepping down doesn't develop into a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. In my view there is nobody within the County with the credentials to take over but it is more likely than not that the County Board will take this route. This is arguably our most talented generation of players since our last AI success and I really hope it isn't wasted with a substandard appointment. I am sure there are a number of players who share my concerns.

Wishing Derek the best of luck on his return to the classroom in De La Salle and I have no doubt that we will see him return to intercounty management in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I'd like to think I represent the vast majority of Waterford supporters in thanking Derek and his backroom team for their efforts over the last 5 years. I regularly disagreed with his tactics and team selections like many supporters did but there was no doubting his unwavering commitment and there is no doubt that he has left the panel in a better state than he inherited it in. The majority of players seemed to buy into his ideas and there seemed to be a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst the majority of the panel which was great to see and the lads never left anything out on the field under his management.

We had some bad days, particularly against Tipp who we failed to beat in the Championship under his management but also many good days, the highlight for me undoubtedly being the win over KK last year. Victories against Cork last year and defeating Clare in 2016 were also great days to be a Déise supporter.

Derek came in for a lot of personal criticism here at times which I always thought was unwarranted and I really hope him stepping down doesn't develop into a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. In my view there is nobody within the County with the credentials to take over but it is more likely than not that the County Board will take this route. This is arguably our most talented generation of players since our last AI success and I really hope it isn't wasted with a substandard appointment. I am sure there are a number of players who share my concerns.

Wishing Derek the best of luck on his return to the classroom in De La Salle and I have no doubt that we will see him return to intercounty management in the future.

Anyone suggesting ‘DJ’ as a good appointment needs head examined. Has he ever even managed a club team...? We don’t need a rookie inter county manager such as DJ with such a mature panel......leave him ‘cut his teeth’ with someone else. Since Justin MacCarthy’s departure we’ve had ‘rookie’ managers.....if the co board can afford it we need someone with plenty of experience at this level....who that should be I’m not sue. If they can’t afford one then a manager from within the co like Derek may be the best option. Have Eoin Murphy and Dan stepped down also...?

To be fair, to say there’s nobody in the county to take over from Derek is a bit of an exaggeration. Before he came in to the Waterford job he had his Harty and All Ireland success and a decent run with a very, very good De La Salle team. He was untried at Intercounty level so before anyone disregards someone with little to no “major job” experience I’d urge them to remember that. From inside the county, Sean Power would get my vote. Outside, Anthony Daly or DJ Carey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Waterford did beat Tipperary in the championship under Derek if you ignore that diabolical decision by that umpire (I presume he has wiped the smirk off his face by this stage).

Being present at the victory over Kilkenny was the highlight for me, especially as they looked like they had blown it in normal time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement