Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

hardybuck wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, the only Waterford teams in hurling and football that have won Championship fixtures from minor level up have been the minor football team and the U20 football team.

We really should start directing resources where it has a decent return on investment - look at all that money wasted on hurling in 2019! :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Giveitfong wrote: »
    This year’s team in particular had some big players who were good in the air – a quality which is sadly lacking at senior level at the moment. We should, of course, be working on helping these guys to make the transition to senior level but, sadly, Waterford have no developmental academy to make sure that this happens. There is no continuity in the cultivation of Waterford under-age talent, with selectors being chosen on an ad-hoc basis from year to year with no coherent coaching system. Sometimes I look at the under-age selectors which other counties have and reckon that, if Waterford had people like those, they would achieve much more success at this level. I have lost count of the number of times Waterford under-age teams have been badly let down by those on the sideline.
    This is a general question rather than specifically directed at Giveitfong. What manner of 'academy' do they have in other counties to bridge the gap between underage and Senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Another fixture disaster from a County Board / GAA perspective;

Waterford are down to play;

u20 hurling Munster SF on the 9th of July vs Tipp (away) (final due for 23rd July)

u20 football Munster SF in the 11th of July vs Cork (away) (final due for 18th of July)

Senior football Champ is on then from 12th of July

So some players are being asked to play Championship the 9th, 11th and 12th of July!

Surely the county board will have to at least put back the Senior fixtures a week or two give lads a chance to rest up and clubs a chance to prepare with their players?

Also WTF are the GAA at with the fixtures! Whoever was making them didnt plan on the win last night!!

Fair play to all involved, 8 dual lads is fair going, just goes to show what can be achieved with a bit of planning (on player side, not the fixtures!)

Under 20 football vs Cork changed to the 12th of July in Clonakilty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’m sorry but 3 day turnaround is still not near enough recovery time. Whoever signed off on this fixture plan in the first place is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

is the senior champ still on?

Heard last night that the dual players on the u20 panel were not given any gear by county board as they were told they’ll get the same gear from hurlers.

What an incentive for lads to play both codes.

Never realized county board are that hard up for a few bob that 8 pairs of shorts and socks would break the bank.

And before anyone says it, yes things are that bad in every aspect.

Heard last night that the dual players on the u20 panel were not given any gear by county board as they were told they’ll get the same gear from hurlers.

Never realized county board are that hard up for a few bob that 8 pairs of shorts and socks would break the bank.

they were given the option of availing of all the same gear that they already had from the hurling panel, and most of them said no they didn't need it. These lads have been involved in intercounty panels with years they have more gear than their wardrobes can fit. Not like they're going around in glad-rags. (also theres more to just gear than 'shorts and socks' youre talking training gear, polo shirts, sweat tops etc)

I see no issue here, if you were running a business you don't throw money around unnecessarily, not to mention an amateur organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I think you and your mate need to get over it and move on. No point being bitter all your life.

Not one but bitter, I’m a realist & those are facts, this isn’t opinion.

That happened as my club mates who were playing against Clare told us all Wednesday night.

Also member of team mgmt was running around Elverys buying lads gear day of match as cb wouldn’t provide it.

A particular player was told he got gear with county senior panel & wouldn’t be getting it for u20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone knw how the training is going for the under 20 hurlers who face Tipp in the Munster semi final on Tuesday coming ???

Who's in the management team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone knw how the training is going for the under 20 hurlers who face Tipp in the Munster semi final on Tuesday coming ???

Who's in the management team

Bit mental that the game is on Tuesday and nobody seems to know who's in the squad or who the management team is.

Bit mental that the game is on Tuesday and nobody seems to know who's in the squad or who the management team is.

Stephen gough mgr & mick mahoney selector I believe - not certain mind you!

8 dual players - after that I haven’t a breeze tbh!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

8 dual players - after that I haven’t a breeze tbh!

Assume Michael kiely is on it . Wadding from Roanmore wasn't originally on it as was doing leaving cert but could have been called up. 3 from Ballygunner on it but i don't know names

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Tg4 are showing the game on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

That's cause the great man himself was involved with both teams, with the minors as a selector and with the under 20s as manager.

Time to start the campaign - Gavin Whelan for Waterford Senior Hurling manager 2020.

scully ryan was awful unlucky , he came within 30 seconds of beating kk in 2013 , we were playing this great basketball/Gaelic football style of bouncing off the hard sod into the hand bypassing the tackler.

the podcast the other week was awful refreshing hed be my vote for next year, if nothing else hed have the fitness sorted , no waterford masn has more all irelands than he has, and look how westmeath have progeressed from maybe 15th to 10th in the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

scully ryan was awful unlucky , he came within 30 seconds of beating kk in 2013 , we were playing this great basketball/Gaelic football style of bouncing off the hard sod into the hand bypassing the tackler.

the podcast the other week was awful refreshing hed be my vote for next year, if nothing else hed have the fitness sorted , no waterford masn has more all irelands than he has, and look how westmeath have progeressed from maybe 15th to 10th in the pecking order
    The players wouldn’t want him.

Those All Ireland’s were in ladies football. And Westmeath didn’t progress that much under him. He couldn’t get them up out of Division 2A and Joe Quaid managed it in his first year without 3 best of their best players this year. Don’t get me wrong I’ve good time for the guy but I was never a fan of him as our manager and certainly not in favour of him going back

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

How were we 30 seconds from beating them? Owens blew the whistle while Matthew Ruth was putting the ball over the bar for what would have won them the game in normal time. That Kilkenny team then lost to Cork so it was far from a top level one.

How were we 30 seconds from beating them? Owens blew the whistle while Matthew Ruth was putting the ball over the bar for what would have won them the game in normal time. That Kilkenny team then lost to Cork so it was far from a top level one.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Don’t be bursting the bubbles of the boys in the nire valley!

• Advertisement

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Don’t be bursting the bubbles of the boys in the nire valley!

My issue is that Michael Ryan is a class man who has given huge service to the county, his club and any team that ever asked him for a hand. But making up stories detracts from all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

That kk team was playing like 4th time in 5 weeks or something like that and still blew us away in terms of fitness in extra time

I agree ryan was treated terribly,but mainly because the players felt perparation werent upto.scrath iirc

There was little issue regarding tactics/selections (he was well able to deploy 3rd man midfield/unortodox sweeper etc)....but a feeling was that skills and fitness levels werent upto scrath was main bugbears afaik

My issue is that Michael Ryan is a class man who has given huge service to the county, his club and any team that ever asked him for a hand. But making up stories detracts from all that.

Agree Michael is a top class mgr & an even better fella - can he improve Waterford from current state - probably.

Can he make us Munster or all Ireland contenders. No.

His tenure at DLS also was not exactly glory filled either, was there not a player heave against him / definitely some turbulence on the way?

Did a player not walk off pitch mid championship game under his watch?

Michael is a top class fella but the rose tinted glasses & selective memories are annoying

Agree Michael is a top class mgr & an even better fella - can he improve Waterford from current state - probably.

Can he make us Munster or all Ireland contenders. No.

His tenure at DLS also was not exactly glory filled either, was there not a player heave against him / definitely some turbulence on the way?

Did a player not walk off pitch mid championship game under his watch?

Michael is a top class fella but the rose tinted glasses & selective memories are annoying

I never said I wanted him as senior county manager. I don't. All your points above are true. But I do think he's entitled to the respect of his time in charge of Waterford at least being remembered accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Just on this, they won a county and Munster title and were bet by the all Ireland champions in the cruellest possible fashion. Whatever about player opinion etc, it was the closest any Waterford club has come to winning an all Ireland so plenty of glory in that.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't be putting any former Waterford manager in charge of the side again. Einstein's theory of insanity comes to mind.

Just on this, they won a county and Munster title and were bet by the all Ireland champions in the cruellest possible fashion. Whatever about player opinion etc, it was the closest any Waterford club has come to winning an all Ireland so plenty of glory in that.

Just as an aside, I wouldn't be putting any former Waterford manager in charge of the side again. Einstein's theory of insanity comes to mind.

Looks like Fanning will be there for 2020 but no actual word from the camp. So who knws.

Sadly Our 2017 1-35 Qualifer victory over Offaly is now the 2nd highest qualifer score as Cork have overtaken it beating Westmeath today by 1-40

Really need a big performane by the Under 20 hurlers on Tuesday wether we win it or not. A hammering is the last thing we need too end this horrible year of championship campagins at all IC hurling levels

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with Einstein's theory of insanity, its about whether or not there's someone within the county capability of taking this team to where they should be (challenging for Munster and AI honours).

I don't believe there is. The only one remotely qualified to take it on would be Colm Bonnar ( I know is originally a Tipp man but based in Dunhill with 25 years) but he didn't go well with Wexford (albeit they were at an all time low). Sean Power all the success with the minors and u21s but the time to give him the job would have been last year instead of Fanning, and it shows that hes not considered a serious candidate for it, I'm not sure he was even interviewed.

I think the answer lies outside the county. It seems to have worked for us in the past with successes with Gerald McCarthy, Justin and then Davy. Pat Ryan of Cork allegedly withdrew last year due to illness. I wonder is it time to go back to him again and see if hes up for it. I don't know much about him but the players and county board were all in favour of him. Mattie Kenny obviously went a different route but looking at Dublin's showing yesterday maybe he wasn't all hes cracked up to be either. Others in mind would be Henry Shefflin or DJ Carey. These lads are winners and learned from the best, Look at what Eddie Brennan has done with Laois for example. I don't really know is best suited out there but its obvious the quality of management is not within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Anyone heading to the 20s game tomorrow. Bookies arent giving us much hope of beating them anyway. Id be hopeful of a good showing.

Do Tipp have many of last years winning team left around apart from Jake Morris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone heading to the 20s game tomorrow. Bookies arent giving us much hope of beating them anyway. Id be hopeful of a good showing.

This post prompted me to have a look at the odds. Tipp 1/20 Waterford 9/1. Ten point spread on the handicap. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ComeraghView

Do Tipp have many of last years winning team left around apart from Jake Morris?

think they also have Jerome Cahill, Paddy Cadell & Bryan O'Mara

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The u20 manager Stephen gough was on wlr today, didn't sound confident at all, talking about how other counties are way ahead of us in terms of preparation and challenge games.

Does anyone know is he being serious or is he trying to play down our chances to spring a surprise on tipp? Absolutely no excuse for the preparation to be way behind that of our opponents.

Looking at the odds and hearing the manager on the radio is not exactly filling me with confidence heading to thurles tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The u20 manager Stephen gough was on wlr today, didn't sound confident at all, talking about how other counties are way ahead of us in terms of preparation and challenge games.

Does anyone know is he being serious or is he trying to play down our chances to spring a surprise on tipp? Absolutely no excuse for the preparation to be way behind that of our opponents.

Looking at the odds and hearing the manager on the radio is not exactly filling me with confidence heading to thurles tomorrow!

He didn’t inspire confidence that’s for sure! What are his credentials anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

cul beag wrote: »
    He didn’t inspire confidence that’s for sure! What are his credentials anyway?

He managed this team two years ago at minor. Lost to Clare, Cork and Limerick by an average of 15 points

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ComeraghView

He managed this team two years ago at minor. Lost to Clare, Cork and Limerick by an average of 15 points

He was minor manager in 2016 not 2017. 2016 lost to Cork, beat Tipp & beaten by Limerick in semifinal by 2 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not a single player from city clubs on u20 team for tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

He was minor manager in 2016 not 2017. 2016 lost to Cork, beat Tipp & beaten by Limerick in semifinal by 2 points

Apologies thought it was 2017. James Lacey was manager in 2017

1. Dean Beecher (Tallow)
    2. Sam Fitzgerald (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    3. James Flavin (Ardmore)
    4. Tom Looby (Abbeyside)
    5. Dan Booth (Colligan)
    6. Iarlaith Daly (Lismore)
    7. Brian Lynch (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
    8. Billy Power (Clonea)
    9. Sean Whelan Barrett (Abbeyside) -CAPTAIN
    10. Tom Barron (Fourmilewater)
    11. Ian Beecher (Tallow)
    12. Gavin Fives (Tourin)
    13. Oisin O’Ceallaigh (An Rinn)
    14. Michael Kiely (Abbeyside)
    15. James Power (Clonea)

Assume that u20 team is a joke team??

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Am I missing something that there are no players from the east of the county on that team?

Am I missing something that there are no players from the east of the county on that team?

Two from Clonea Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Two from Clonea Power.

*I meant the city teams (DLS/ M. SION/Erin's Own/Ballygunner/ Roanmore/Passage/St Saviours etc.) . Apologies.

• Advertisement

No that is the team . Munster under 20 Tipp v West Waterford!

*I meant the city teams (DLS/ M. SION/Erin's Own/Ballygunner/ Roanmore/Passage/St Saviours etc.) . Apologies.

Or maybe even Ballyduff portlaw mollerans tramore fenor dunhill bunmahon ballydurn newtown Kilmac Ferrybank !!

Nobody from the Dungarvan club starting either, remarkable enough. No doubt be used as a stick to beat them with if they don't go well, hopefully they put in a good performance.

Trouble in the camp ???

Surely BG, DLS, MS etc have players good enough

PTH2009 wrote:
    Trouble in the camp ???

Don't think so . Not many from the city that would have been in contention really. Tom Gallagher and Kevin Mahoney from Ballygunner possibly. Cian wadding from Roanmore wasn't available. Outside of those can't think of many others . Rory furlong from this year's minor team may be on the panel , not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Trouble in the camp ???

Wtf? What are u on about man?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Trouble in the camp ???

Wtf? What are u on about man? If they were there they'd be on the team.

You think the the MS and BG players banded together to somehow not be picked.

Half of them are probably in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

How many players from the following clubs

My Sion, Ballygunnar, DLS, Passage and Dungarvan

Are U20 and have played and impressed at senior club level in the last two years?

The 2018 minor team is now the u20 team & they actually beat tipp 2.13 to 3.9 in Munster championship - so all things being equal these lads should be well up to beating tipp tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I don't know the answer to that BTW...

All I know is, whatever the cause is, something has gone very wrong at that age in Waterford Hurling circles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement