Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

_blaaz wrote: »
    Im lead to believe tqs had to be talked into staying and this still isnt 100% resolved

Walsh park isnt worth pouring money into,we sold something like 3to 5000 home tickets to limerick match,only for limerick have a huuuge travelling support it would have been half empthy last day.......dont see point in building a stadium to accomandate fans of other counties tbh

We've all heard the rumours of who's agitating what and seen carry on in the limerick game to know that management and several of the players should never wear the county jersey again

re walsh park - we sold what we could sell, joe public couldnt get involved as there was no room. also the two games we played were against our two smallest munster rivals. The acid test will be when cork and potentially all ireland champions tipp come to town next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

re walsh park - we sold what we could sell, joe public couldnt get involved as there was no room. also the two games we played were against our two smallest munster rivals. The acid test will be when cork and potentially all ireland champions tipp come to town next year

We handed back tickets to limerick game....i know club sent back 20 or more tickets,couldnt give em away....limerick were at the time all ireland champions??

Theres noway we should been out numbered 2:1 by limerick support at home,we are.going to.end up pouring millions into walsh park to accomandate away supporters....while our underage teams across both codes getting regularly routed,.....serious misplaced priorities imo

We handed back tickets to limerick game....i know club sent back 20 or more tickets,couldnt give em away....limerick were at the time all ireland champions??

Theres noway we should been out numbered 2:1 by limerick support at home,we are.going to.end up pouring millions into walsh park to accomandate away supporters....while our underage teams across both codes getting regularly routed,.....serious misplaced priorities imo

Not quite. Maybe some club handed tickets back - but in run up this and Clare game there was almost no public sale of tickets lots of Waterford supporters buy tickets in centra etc. the restrictive method of selling tickets alienated some fans as not all are club members.

Season tickets in cork and tipp next year could be as high as 10k meaning we might get no allocation at all or be forced to play on the road again!

Debate the toss all one wants, other counties use stadiums to generate revenue and all have done in Munster in last 10 years except us. Need to look at things differently.

Regarding money for underage like telling fat lad to buy a bigger belt our underage is out of date needs a total overhaul - we don’t get bang for our buck as it is, throwing more money at it is not the answer.

Not quite. Maybe some club handed tickets back - but in run up this and Clare game there was almost no public sale of tickets lots of Waterford supporters buy tickets in centra etc. the restrictive method of selling tickets alienated some fans as not all are club members.

Season tickets in cork and tipp next year could be as high as 10k meaning we might get no allocation at all or be forced to play on the road again!

Debate the toss all one wants, other counties use stadiums to generate revenue and all have done in Munster in last 10 years except us. Need to look at things differently.

Regarding money for underage like telling fat lad to buy a bigger belt our underage is out of date needs a total overhaul - we don’t get bang for our buck as it is, throwing more money at it is not the answer.

To best my knowledge....season tickets are limited to 3K per county....saying we playing on road/getting no tickets is pure scare mongering??

By all means look at things differently...just feel.uneasy of pouring millions into walsh psrk and question if we ever get a return on it?? (At 250K gate,10K at e25 ahead, by 2 sell outs a year at best,for 8 to 10 million is a upto 20 year pay back,excluding interest all this is assuming we keep full/majority gate receipt

I remain skeptical we could get money back through concerts etc,people of waterford rightly or wrongly just wont go(we had 1 of largest indoor venues in ireland,in city centre,good safe location which is now a chinese)......the.festival in portlaw this weekend,how many do you know going to it from around the town....i know where i work,just 1 young wan in office going

(Your bang on right about underage)

To best my knowledge....season tickets are limited to 3K per county....saying we playing on road/getting no tickets is pure scare mongering??

By all means look at things differently...just feel.uneasy of pouring millions into walsh psrk and question if we ever get a return on it?? (At 250K gate,10K at e25 ahead, by 2 sell outs a year at best,for 8 to 10 million is a upto 20 year pay back,excluding interest all this is assuming we keep full/majority gate receipt

I remain skeptical we could get money back through concerts etc,people of waterford rightly or wrongly just wont go(we had 1 of largest indoor venues in ireland,in city centre,good safe location which is now a chinese)......the.festival in portlaw this weekend,how many do you know going to it from around the town....i know where i work,just 1 young wan in office going

(Your bang on right about underage)

Not scaremongering, just knowing our county board if they are offered a few bob by Munster council to get a bigger crowd, well seeing as the bailed us out we can hardly say no can we.....

Walsh park started off in 2018 as 4.8m, this turned into 5.7m, which then in feb 2019 was quoted at 7.4m and in May was over 8m, it is now rumored to be over 10m - the cost of fully developing a greenfield site in carriganore .

I know I have the engineers report.

Google paddy joe Ryan Walsh park and you will get all his press releases in the examiner Waterford have 2020 vision is the first - must also be a Freudian slip as if we were to invest 10m or whatever in Walsh park there should be a public inquiry. Stephen wonder wouldn’t invest in it & he wasn’t much of a Gaa man!

There is 22000 going to ATN. They don’t all have to be from Waterford however they can be from all over the south east or even Dublin or even from abroad without being facetious.

I doubt all Ed Sheeran concert goers in cork were all members of GAA clubs from county cork!

In keeping up with the Derek Mcgrath theme from my earlier post;

“The mind once expanded never returns to its original shape”

Not going to go on all evening about this, finished work now - concerts are one thing - a competitive senior hurling team is another, big, priority & fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The fanning rumour is the only one I care about tbh

Can see the Walsh Park redevelopment been canned

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The fanning rumour is the only one I care about tbh

Can see the Walsh Park redevelopment been canned

Not a bit concerned about sponsers walking,no?

Not a bit concerned about sponsers walking,no?

Suppose it's a major thing but would not impact us fans much

New management team in charge would be major for the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Jasus didn't hear all that! Just had heard that Fanning is stepping down with official announcement coming Thursday. Sounds like a lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes and none of it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

The acrimony and bitterness over last 24 hours & indeed the passed 10-14 days has been something to behold.

Personally am disappointed in some people is one part of this from people who should know better, but am not surprised by the level of trolling and dogsihtology from supposedly grown men was another.

It was frankly sad - some people who read this forum and post consistently / troll people consistently online would want a good hard look in the mirror at themselves and their actions.

Their parents speaking out one side of their mouths criticizing social media users and their 40+ year old sons acting like a spoiled child online. An absolute laughing stock should google the meaning of the word credibility.

The county is in a complete mess. A rudderless ship from the top down, badly led, badly managed, a generation of being at top table psised away with nothing to show for it and in true waterford fashion the parish pump politicians / blame game are the order of the day, division and sniping at people rather than addressing the issues that caused our current position.

I assume the ego comments from Ken were a Freudian slip. Its unnecessary and has to stop or be stopped on both sides.

As the other stooges and gombeen men, half of them didnt know what end of a hurley to hold or how to lace up a pair of boots, it must be their only way to get a sense of purpose belonging in life. Fundamentally however your behavior flies in the face of the spirit of the GAA.

Go get a hobby for yourself, you are beating the same drum for 6-7 years, if you have no friends get a dog bring it for a walk, if you are that stuck you have my number ring me for a chat.

You are doing yourself and others around you no favors carrying on the way you and others are.

Before its said, i take my own comments on board also, personal attacks arent how i operate, facts, data & logic as opposed to whatever personal bias exist - bar a few rebuttals on twitter where i meet people head on, the rest of my tweets are unbiased and objective.

The facts are the county is going down the pan & those charged with steering it arent taking control and leading - everything else is just a sideshow and distraction.

Well said

• Advertisement

If the Fanning is true than who are we going to get in or is it a forgone conclusion a certain ex manager will return?

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Well said

Also have it that the person who won a recent deise draw was asked not to cash the Chequers till September. At the May meeting an up to date financial report was to be delivered. The secretary stated that it couldn’t be given as a certain delegate wasn’t in attendance however the county treasurer was in attendance. Is he not the man over finances? Does he not do the monthly accounts? If not then why was he elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If the Fanning is true than who are we going to get in or is it a forgone conclusion a certain ex manager will return?

He’ll send them all back to school first!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:

I hear " the man " is getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

PTH2009 wrote:

Don't judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

McGrath is not coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

PTH2009 wrote:

Dan the Man!! Hardly

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Dan the Man!! Hardly

People have been saying we need ball winners in the half forward line, wonder will Seamus Prendergast come back as well???

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Dan the Man!! Hardly

He works for Paddy Joe so it wouldn’t surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Had an hour to spare today so went out to the world games. Fantastic stuff. Got talking to a club member and agree 100% with what he said. This week t h ere should have been a maratorium on matches in the county. This is huge for Waterford!!

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    Had an hour to spare today so went out to the world games. Fantastic stuff. Got talking to a club member and agree 100% with what he said. This week t h ere should have been a maratorium on matches in the county. This is huge for Waterford!!

You’d wonder what genius decided to fix senior hurling games featuring two of biggest clubs in east at other end of the county the same time the opening parade was in the city.

It is either an attempt to sabotage it or they are just totally incapable.

World games thus far is phenomenal tbh - great to see engagement with all the clubs - passage looked great on fb last night fair play to Pat Daly & everyone in WIT for making it happen - once in a life time stuff.

Just shows what can be achieved with a bit of vision and planning. It’s worth millions to local economy but the goodwill is priceless.

You’d wonder what genius decided to fix senior hurling games featuring two of biggest clubs in east at other end of the county the same time the opening parade was in the city.

It is either an attempt to sabotage it or they are just totally incapable.

World games thus far is phenomenal tbh - great to see engagement with all the clubs - passage looked great on fb last night fair play to Pat Daly & everyone in WIT for making it happen - once in a life time stuff.

Just shows what can be achieved with a bit of vision and planning. It’s worth millions to local economy but the goodwill is priceless.

Seen it myself in our own club last night, the lads and ladies and the juveniles got them involved in training and they really seemed to enjoy it. A great imitative that seems to have been a huge success so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Deisefacts wrote: »
    Also have it that the person who won a recent deise draw was asked not to cash the Chequers till September. At the May meeting an up to date financial report was to be delivered. The secretary stated that it couldn’t be given as a certain delegate wasn’t in attendance however the county treasurer was in attendance. Is he not the man over finances? Does he not do the monthly accounts? If not then why was he elected?

Total false on deise draw. Know of someone you for deise draw winning cheque recently..

Any word on Fanning ???

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

Is Fanning gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

A lot of gossip and rumours on this forum over the past day or two. If you ask me, it's just Fanning the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

A lot of gossip and rumours on this forum over the past day or two. If you ask me, it's just Fanning the fire

But...

We didn't start the fire.....

Tony Browne, Paul Flynn, Skully Ryan, John Mullane
    Ghost Goal, Home Advantage, Paddy Joe

Gerald McCarthy, Deise Draw, Championship structures, WLR
    East Waterford , West Waterford, Sweeper System

Monastery Men, H-bombs, Donal Og, Pat Flynn
    Derek Mc, "Merchant of Venice" and "15 on 15"
    Aussies Goal, Bricks Catch, Walsh parks got a new stand
    Dungarvan Colleges, Dan the Man, Dan Frahers Field

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Strong rumours player power has pushed Fanning to resign but himself and Kearney were definitely in the Fraher field on Sunday so it’s hard to know what to believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

cul beag wrote: »
    Strong rumours player power has pushed Fanning to resign but himself and Kearney were definitely in the Fraher field on Sunday so it’s hard to know what to believe!

Hearing rumours announcement may be about developing Fraher Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

We are some county for the rumour mill...

I heard Fanning was told by multiple players that they wouldnt be available for selection next season if he stayed on.

Also a rumour doing the rounds that Colm Bonnar is in the mix to succeed Fanning.

cul beag wrote: »

I’m no fan of player power but I’d be concerned that Fanning is showing up at matches with Kearney which is a sign that the co board have given him a vote of confidence for another year. Make no bones about it this year was a total **** show and the county board have to shoulder blame for making the wrong appointment and now trying to stick by a beaten docket. If I thought Fanning was in the process of building something I’d be happy to let it be but there was no plan, no purpose and no clue. Another year of that could set us back many years, we will lose a good number of players still in their prime and there’s not the same level of quality coming behind.

I’m no fan of player power but I’d be concerned that Fanning is showing up at matches with Kearney which is a sign that the co board have given him a vote of confidence for another year. Make no bones about it this year was a total **** show and the county board have to shoulder blame for making the wrong appointment and now trying to stick by a beaten docket. If I thought Fanning was in the process of building something I’d be happy to let it be but there was no plan, no purpose and no clue. Another year of that could set us back many years, we will lose a good number of players still in their prime and there’s not the same level of quality coming behind.

Maybe they were there to support there clubs ???

Very true what you said I dont think Fanning is the right person for us. Sounds like he has lost the dressing room and 2020 could be farcical if he has a depleted player pool to pick from

Could be like Justin McCarthys last year in Limerick

Hopefully we will knw more soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Tony Browne, Paul Flynn, Skully Ryan, John Mullane
    Ghost Goal, .........

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since ...........t

Jesus lads, its supposed to be a team sport for gods sake....:rolleyes:

Cornerstoner pucks it out so me at half back, I drew in the center forward and laid it off to our now free center back "thesaturdayman" and what does he do.....:D

Starts one of he big headed solo runs (Just because he went to college!!)..... up past the our half backs and around all the midfielders, who are too busy taking strips off each other and haven't noticed the sliotar is back in play,..... through the opposition half back line, sliotar still delicately balanced on the end of the hurl,...... across the full back line, ignoring our corner forward free in front of goal all on his own, bats the ball off the ground, before taking into contact though the the last two defenders, ...breaking free before arrogantly taking 7...yes 7... steps (Because he knows even the ref is too scared of him, to pull him up for it) before launching the sliotar into the top corner of the net........and taking all the glory....

And who's left making all the forwards down my end now on his own i ask you :confused: Well who......:P

ForestFire wrote: »
    Jesus lads, its supposed to be a team sport for gods sake....:rolleyes:

Cornerstoner pucks it out so me at half back, I drew in the center forward and laid it off to our now free center back "thesaturdayman" and what does he do.....:D

Starts one of he big headed solo runs (Just because he went to college!!)..... up past the our half backs and around all the midfielders, who are too busy taking strips off each other and haven't noticed the sliotar is back in play,..... through the opposition half back line, sliotar still delicately balanced on the end of the hurl,...... across the full back line, ignoring our corner forward free in front of goal all on his own, bats the ball off the ground, before taking into contact though the the last two defenders, ...breaking free before arrogantly taking 7...yes 7... steps (Because he knows even the ref is too scared of him, to pull him up for it) before launching the sliotar into the top corner of the net........and taking all the glory....

And who's left making all the forwards down my end now on his own i ask you :confused: Well who......:P

definitely false - i wouldnt be able to get from the half back line to ff line!

• Advertisement

So this Thursday announcement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

No sign of today's supposed announcement folks? Is there supposed to be a meeting tonight or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I heard Fanning is leaving to pursue a career in synchronised swimming in Finland. MIGHT be hearsay but I think its likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I heard Fanning is leaving to pursue a career in synchronised swimming in Finland. MIGHT be hearsay but I think its likely

Wrong, it's slalom skiing. I overheard my aunt's hairdresser's daughter saying it in Tesco so I immediately rushed to post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭razorronan

Deskjockey wrote: »
    No sign of today's supposed announcement folks? Is there supposed to be a meeting tonight or something??

The County Board can't even organise an announcement properly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

razorronan wrote: »
    The County Board can't even organise an announcement properly :)

Where and when did the county board say there would be an announcement today?

Looks like the rumours were rumours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Quietest announcement I never heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deisedick

Fanning if he goes should out any player that didnt commit him they cheated the supporters manager county board sponsors who pumped money into them it's a disgrace what's gone on people blaming the county board this is all down to the players downing tools embaressing behaviour . The county board are at fault for a lot of things but one things for sure they cant control performances and lack of effort. If I was fanning I'd let them have it show future managers what kind of spineless gutless players we have

Deisedick wrote: »
    Fanning if he goes should out any player that didnt commit him they cheated the supporters manager county board sponsors who pumped money into them it's a disgrace what's gone on people blaming the county board this is all down to the players downing tools embaressing behaviour . The county board are at fault for a lot of things but one things for sure they cant control performances and lack of effort. If I was fanning I'd let them have it show future managers what kind of spineless gutless players we have

Great point but it's the calibre of some of this guys who supposedly 'downed tools' that we cant do without and we hard to see where the replacements are

How was it up to the league final everything seemed rosy in the camp and then turned into a shambles. Did something happen in Portugal ???

Clearly preparation was done right and you could see how tame our warm ups were during the summer

I think Damien Tiernan is a great addition to WLR. Everyone should tune in today to just appreciate how good he is

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Does that mean there’s going to hurling related news on this mornings show??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Am I the only one not put out by the team's capitulation against Limerick? Everything that could go wrong did go wrong, so the heads went down. Not ideal, but they're only human and the idea that the players collectively shat on the jersey by not busting their balls for 70+ minutes...people really need to get over their sense of entitlement with regards to sportspeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Loughnane is irrelevant when it comes to discussing the modern game. next!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Gardner wrote: »
    Loughnane is irrelevant when it comes to discussing the modern game. next!

Explain the modern game?
    Fellas like McGrath and Cusack trying to make themselves relevant by talking ****e about "totality" and "innovation". McGrath failed the Waterford players with his negative tactics and in my opinion the blame of not winning an All Ireland should lie at his door. Hurling is a game whose beauty is at its best in it's simplicity and spontaneity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement