Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    Not writing anyone off just using that game as example, please read my post correctly

Based on one club game. Outgoing panel should have a say, most of them will be on the panel and all will be looked at. Doesn't mean that 5 or 6 lads get to decide who should be in charge, but the panel should be consulted on the failings and what they want to see at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Ye cause if something is a failure, doing it all again the very same way is guaranteed to bring success.

Wouldn't call DMG's campaign a failure. A lot more positives than negatives. Few individual errors on the field by players vs Galway cost us an all Ireland and not DMG.
    People like Ken McGrath, Tony Browne and Paul Flynn should keep their tweets to themselves as all have failed or haven't stepped into a managers shoes since they retired. Something DMG has done and been successful but then again lads on this page would rather 15 on 15 and aimlessly hitting balls up the field. Bring back Justin...... The man who cost us about 3 all Ireland's but hey we kept the fools entertained on this page

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Gardner wrote: »
    Wouldn't call DMG's campaign a failure. A lot more positives than negatives. Few individual errors on the field by players vs Galway cost us an all Ireland and not DMG.
    People like Ken McGrath, Tony Browne and Paul Flynn should keep their tweets to themselves as all have failed or haven't stepped into a managers shoes since they retired. Something DMG has done and been successful but then again lads on this page would rather 15 on 15 and aimlessly hitting balls up the field. Bring back Justin...... The man who cost us about 3 all Ireland's but hey we kept the fools entertained on this page

Flynn was in charge of a Waterford team who won an U21 All Ireland with hurling people could watch.

Tony Browne won a Munster championship with Lismore.

Derek McGrath should never be left near a Waterford team again at any level.

A Colm Bonnar - Andy Moloney based team would be the best of the local based manager/coaches. I hope they go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

So I think Paul Flynn would be fairly decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think they need to look at the management package rather than just the manager. I think Fannings big mistake was a lack of experience with him. Even his own achievements as a manager were a few years back so not relevant to many of the current panel outside of maybe Michael Walsh.

There needs to be some level of experience and success in the back room team, although not necessarily via the manager. For example if Paul Kinnerk fancied a go as a manager I'd be delighted to see him even if he hasn't had the position before. Unfortunately for Fanning there was a huge lack of experience in his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Bit of déjà vu from last year. People throwing out all sorts of names, a whose who of former players, some ridiculous suggestions, then you’ve the dreamers talking about Liam Sheedy, Anthony Daly, DOG and John Allen. People have vivid imaginations but need to be realistic, remember how underwhelmed we all were to hear Fanning appointed after all the excitement and possibilities that were spoken about.
    There’s no open cheque book. It’s a really important appointment yes but it needs to be someone who really wants the job because they have a vision of where they could take this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit of déjà vu from last year. People throwing out all sorts of names, a whose who of former players, some ridiculous suggestions, then you’ve the dreamers talking about Liam Sheedy, Anthony Daly, DOG and John Allen. People have vivid imaginations but need to be realistic, remember how underwhelmed we all were to hear Fanning appointed after all the excitement and possibilities that were spoken about.
    There’s no open cheque book. It’s a really important appointment yes but it needs to be someone who really wants the job because they have a vision of where they could take this group.

Wexford must have an open cheque book with there high profile managerial appointments

We need an outsider but then have a strong Waterford backroom team. King Henry won a club AI and had Ballyhale playing great and I think the players would really respect him

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Flynn was in charge of a Waterford team who won an U21 All Ireland with hurling people could watch.

Tony Browne won a Munster championship with Lismore.

Derek McGrath should never be left near a Waterford team again at any level.

A Colm Bonnar - Andy Moloney based team would be the best of the local based manager/coaches. I hope they go for it.

Flynn was not the manager

Browne, An intermediate championship.... Come on ffs!

If Colm Bonner was a decent manager he would have gone further than managing Dunhill and Carlow. Andy Maloney managing a bunch of woman is now the answer.

DMG got us closer to any all Ireland in the last 50 years than any other manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

If Colm Bonner was a decent manager he would have gone further than managing Dunhill and Carlow. Andy Maloney managing a bunch of woman is now the answer.

DMG got us closer to any all Ireland in the last 50 years than any other manager.

Completely overlooking the fact that Bonnar and Maloney won a club all Ireland as joint managers of Ballyhale Shamrocks.
    Although they were only appointed as Ballyhale managers after being turned down by the players of Ballygunner supposedly, having agreed to taking charge of Ballygunner. So their relationship with some of the squad may be questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

. Bring back Justin...... The man who cost us about 3 all Ireland's but hey we kept the fools entertained on this page

3 Munster titles and a league title in 5 years. It wasn't a bad return!

• Advertisement

Surely DJ is finished with the Killenny under 20s

would he be interested ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PTH2009 wrote: »

What? Did you think he'd say he was a w****r or something?

What? Did you think he'd say he was a w****r or something?

Nope just the interview by Paddy Joe and some of the points he made

'He saw no issues between players and management'

Nope just the interview by Paddy Joe and some of the points he made

'He saw no issues between players and management'

So the day after Pauric Fanning does a difficult thing for the good of the county and walks away you'd like the chairman to say he'd lost the dressing room?

Words fail me yet again when it comes to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

What do you want him to do.
    Throw paraic fanning under the bus?
    Throw the players under the bus?

He makes alot of good points about people on social media/Twitter constantly criticizing volunteers (such as himself and paraic) who give up their free time for no financial gain. I have done it myself.
    As he said convention is coming up and 14 positions are to be filled.
    Will you be putting yourself forward PTH.
    I have already asked Saturdayman is he going to put himself forward for a position but got no response.
    Will also be watching to see if his buddy deisefacts puts his name forward.

Their is huge scope to improve the county board/running GAA in the county but the only way to do that is through volunteerism and not through constantly only criticizing from their keyboard like so many of us do.

Camogie team up by 4 points at HT

Match on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Gwan the women, shame the men don't fight as hard for ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

He makes alot of good points about people on social media/Twitter constantly criticizing volunteers (such as himself and paraic) who give up their free time for no financial gain. I have done it myself.
    I have already asked Saturdayman is he going to put himself forward for a position but got no response.

Their is huge scope to improve the county board/running GAA in the county but the only way to do that is through volunteerism and not through constantly only criticizing from their keyboard like so many of us do.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Deisefacts wrote: »

Lol

At least you replied, which is more than your buddy.

‘A bunch of woman’? Wow.

Firstly Bonner managed Wexford seniors for 3 years and and WIT to countless Fitzgibbon Cups titles. I like the way you picked the 2 jobs from the bottom of his resume to discredit him

Andy Moloney managed Ballyhale to AI club success. Again, using your obvious superiority complex over the opposite sex to discredit him.

Tell me how D MCG was more qualified for the role in terms of success?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

At least you replied, which is more than your buddy.

Probably should start looking at home. His son is the most belligerent mouth piece on social media - twitter or Facebook! LOL

Probably should start looking at home. His son is the most belligerent mouth piece on social media - twitter or Facebook! LOL

Or dare we say boards.....

Ken, Tony and Flynn have walked the walk for Waterford at every level, unlike Derek the self appointed genius in his own mind.

I won't dignify your reply with listing the achievements of the lads I've mentioned.

DMG is a loser full stop.

Let him go back to managing schoolboys, bitching from the sidelines and undermining the incumbent Waterford manager through bad mouthing him to the present Waterford panellists, it's about all he's capable of.

Let him work off his inferiority complex and chips on his shoulder some place else.

He has done enough damage to Waterford hurling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Surely DJ is finished with the Killenny under 20s

would he be interested ?

I highly doubt it will be DJ anyway after this interview:

"Ah no, at the end of the day, I've travelled the length and breath of the country presenting medals and doing some coaching, and I've been asked a fair bit, maybe even outside of the county, to be a coach. And I've always said it, always and everywhere, I would prefer to be involved in tiddly winks in my own county than being manager somewhere else. Purely and simply because there's an awful lot of work that needs to be done, whether that's with under-12s in my own club or 14s or whether that's a development squad in Kilkenny or whether that's football."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/id-prefer-involved-tiddlywinks-county-manager-somewhere-else-199440

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Lads, whoever takes over the reigns, they have a mammoth task ahead of them to get this team back winning championship games first of all and secondly getting a style of play that the players will buy into.
    Thirdly, whoever gets the job needs the full financial support of the Co Board with no fundraising t&c’s attached

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If rumours are true Colm Bonnar is talking to county board

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Can’t see it happening. He’s good buddies with Fanning so im sure he knows what’s ahead of him. I think he’ll stick with Carlow for 1 more year

Jesus that would be underwhelming but would not surprise me

Cant see the players respecting him much. He does a great job with lower level counties and WIT. Carlow are back down in the Joe Mcdonagh for 2020 and in 1B in the league so now is the time for him to leave them. Doubt he will be number 2 for anyone

Argument is there is Waterford Hurling still a top job ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Cant see the players respecting him much. He does a great job with lower level counties and WIT. Carlow are back down in the Joe Mcdonagh for 2020 and in 1B in the league so now is the time for him to leave them. Doubt he will be number 2 for anyone

Colm Bonnar would do fine. He's sound as a pound and a good laugh too, as I remember from my WIT days. The players will respect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Colm Bonnar would do fine. He's sound as a pound and a good laugh too, as I remember from my WIT days. The players will respect him.

Bought you a pint in the dome...ah great CV...sign him up

Sean Power with Dunhill seniors this year who play intermediate championship. Results so far in this years Eastern Intermediate

Erins Own 2-10- Dunhill 1-16
    Dunhill 2-11- Ballygunner Intermediates 0-21
    Butlerstown 1-11- Dunhill 1-17
    Portlaw 1-18- Dunhill 2-20
    Dunhill 4-27- Ferrybank 5-17

is it finally his turn for the Waterford senior gig ??

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Sean Power with Dunhill seniors this year who play intermediate championship. Results so far in this years Eastern Intermediate

Erins Own 2-10- Dunhill 1-16
    Dunhill 2-11- Ballygunner Intermediates 0-21
    Butlerstown 1-11- Dunhill 1-17
    Portlaw 1-18- Dunhill 2-20
    Dunhill 4-27- Ferrybank 5-17

is it finally his turn for the Waterford senior gig ??
    Yes

You being underwhelmed does not surprise anyone either.

Carlow finished with a higher scoring average than us in the provincial championship. In a non-corrupt world we would gave been relegated to Joe McDonagh instead, and everyone would have been talking about Colm Bonner as the man who worked miracles in a county with only 4 senior clubs.

Yes

Wasn’t power in the running last year but players rejected him?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The Sean Power thing will never happen so we can forget about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

yep as far as I know , but I'd say most of those players were of the old brigade , most of the lads on the panel would have had a good bit of success under power , all the more reason to get him in , and remove all the old fogies

cul beag wrote: »
    The Sean Power thing will never happen so we can forget about that.

Why not though

Looking purely at his record he deserves a chance

Why not though

Looking purely at his record he deserves a chance

Those old brigade stars that you have previously mentioned are the very reason he won’t get a call. Strong rumours about Bonnar though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

IanVW wrote: »

Dan favourite ??

Colm Bonnar 4/1 decent bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Dan favourite ??

Colm Bonnar 4/1 decent bet

If the players don't actively look for him/support his appointment I don't think Colm will go for it.

If the players don't actively look for him/support his appointment I don't think Colm will go for it.

I’d have no issues with Bonner as long as he was selected as the best man after due process. We shouldn’t be just going after the most convenient because he lives close by and he’s been on the managerial merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

IanVW wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Where's the Pope?

deiseach wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Where's the Pope?

Yesterday I saw a fella that looked like John O'Shea talking to a fella that looked like Paddy Joe's nephew. You heard it here first-get on at 250/1!

Don't think PP will be far off with Dan Shan. Players know him and want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Kenny and Pat Ryan wouldn't have been leading the betting when it was first put up. Fanning wasn't even on the radar that I can remember.

Think it's a bit early yet, Pat Mulcahy is an interesting one though. Has a big reputation in Cork I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Keith Barry , 250-1.

That would be a mental appointment.

• Advertisement

Kenny and Pat Ryan wouldn't have been leading the betting when it was first put up. Fanning wasn't even on the radar that I can remember.

Think it's a bit early yet, Pat Mulcahy is an interesting one though. Has a big reputation in Cork I'm told.
    Mulcahy is highly regarded and would be a zero tolerance type of guy. Mightn’t sit well with certain individuals!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement