Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Dan good enough to be number 1 ???

TBF Fanning was always a background guy in IC management teams and this year showed hes not cut out to be number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The next appointment is crucial. We need a strong character to change the current mindset and get us back on track. Can Dan do that? Doubtful. He has grown into a role as a coach over the past few years but has zero experience as a manager. At this level that’s very important. Could he make the hard decision when it would come to his own brother if needs be? Too many questions for my liking so we have to look elsewhere.

cul beag wrote: »
    The next appointment is crucial. We need a strong character to change the current mindset and get us back on track. Can Dan do that? Doubtful. He has grown into a role as a coach over the past few years but has zero experience as a manager. At this level that’s very important. Could he make the hard decision when it would come to his own brother if needs be? Too many questions for my liking so we have to look elsewhere.

True and think it was mentioned earlier but a strong backroom team is needed to with a strong manager

Afaik Wexford this year had the Bennetts father and Stephen Molumphy in there backroom team

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

First approach due to be made this week. M Ryan - Tipp version

Can you see him taking it? Plotting against his own county? He’d be a great candidate but I can’t see it happening.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    True and think it was mentioned earlier but a strong backroom team is needed to with a strong manager

Afaik Wexford this year had the Bennetts father and Stephen Molumphy in there backroom team

And leave both of them down there.

Can you see him taking it? Plotting against his own county? He’d be a great candidate but I can’t see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Especially given he's only taken over Na Piarsaigh...he surely has half an eye on St Patrick's Day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

cul beag wrote:

Hard to see him being interested
    Hopefully it's someone from outside the county as there isn't anyone good enough within
    None of the top managers are available
    Previous intercounty managers like O Grady, Kingston, Meyler. Daly etc are all unlikely
    Bonnar a possibility
    Eddie Brennan - perish the thought
    Shefflin not a hope
    We're not gonna be spoiled for choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You told us this last year...

J O’C and PQ as selectors. The right men at the right time.
    Lots of work going on behind the scenes before a county board meeting is called for ratification of Pat Ryan.

• Advertisement

Hard to see him being interested
    Hopefully it's someone from outside the county as there isn't anyone good enough within
    None of the top managers are available
    Previous intercounty managers like O Grady, Kingston, Meyler. Daly etc are all unlikely
    Bonnar a possibility
    Eddie Brennan - perish the thought
    Shefflin not a hope
    We're not gonna be spoiled for choice

Would like Shefflin myself and managing us would improve his CV when the Kilkenny gig comes along but very unlikely he will want to manage us

DJ Carey wont manage outside Kilkenny

Ger Cunningham wants a return to IC management and has managed Ballygunner in the past . Another former IC manager Denis Walsh is a previous Ballygunner manager and manages Tallow this year I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would like Shefflin myself and managing us would improve his CV when the Kilkenny gig comes along but very unlikely he will want to manage us

DJ Carey wont manage outside Kilkenny

Ger Cunningham wants a return to IC management and has managed Ballygunner in the past . Another former IC manager Denis Walsh is a previous Ballygunner manager and manages Tallow this year I believe

Ger Cunningham had a few run ins during his Dublin tenure, and will only take the gig if he isn't considered for the Cork job. Not sure if that's a good option.

Denis Walsh had an awful time as Cork manager.

Shefflin probably wouldn't want to risk going to Waterford. He was a winner as a player, now is as a manager, and going to Waterford could ruin all that for him.

DJ wants to take Kilkenny teams which is fair enough.

I'd actually be interested in the Eddie Brennan option. He took a team at rock bottom, huge infighting, only 6 lads turned up for a team meeting at the start of the year, but got lads out and enjoying their hurling for Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

You told us this last year...

J O’C and PQ as selectors. The right men at the right time.
    Lots of work going on behind the scenes before a county board meeting is called for ratification of Pat Ryan.

Well known fact that Pat Ryan had accepted the job, before unfortunately he had to pull out due to illness

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Especially given he's only taken over Na Piarsaigh...he surely has half an eye on St Patrick's Day.

Is he in a parade? Because the All Ireland club finals are on in January this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Well known fact that Pat Ryan had accepted the job, before unfortunately he had to pull out due to illness

Not true. That’s what was said after the fact. He had declined the job prior to the sickness. I suppose whether or which he wouldn’t have done it owing to he illness.

The sticking point was fundraising for county board expectation of him was he generated funds in the same way Derek had to finance the running of the team.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Is he in a parade? Because the All Ireland club finals are on in January this year.

Fair enough, though still imagine it would be hard to manage that potential conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Not true. That’s what was said after the fact. He had declined the job prior to the sickness. I suppose whether or which he wouldn’t have done it owing to he illness.

The sticking point was fundraising for county board expectation of him was he generated funds in the same way Derek had to finance the running of the team.

On his own podcast, Colm Parkinson said he had called around and this was the reason that Mattie Kenny turned the job down too.

On his own podcast, Colm Parkinson said he had called around and this was the reason that Mattie Kenny turned the job down too.

yep. Mattie Kenny was quoted as saying I am here to train a county hurling team not to fundraise for the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 RichardBzero

Hearing strong rumours that the players want Dan back but he doesn’t want to go in as manager so there’s talk of a possible partnership with Peter Queally. Peter as no.1 and dan as no.2
    Granted rumours can be just that but I got that info from a credible source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

yep. Mattie Kenny was quoted as saying I am here to train a county hurling team not to fundraise for the county board.

If true that is crazy. Find it hard to believe as I can't recall any time whereby Pauric Fanning was fundraising for the senior hurlers.
    Time for a commercial manager to be employed by the county board to fundraise for our teams. Maybe combine it with the county secretary job.

• Advertisement

Wexford have a dedicated commercial manager - an ex De La Salle pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Fair enough, though still imagine it would be hard to manage that potential conflict.

It would of course, I agree. Intercounty preparation starts in October realistically now, with a world of planning required beforehand. Na Piarsaigh it would seem are run rather similar to a county set up too so couldn’t envisage it working, unless they are knocked out of Limerick championship but it’s hard to plan for such an event happening.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    It would of course, I agree. Intercounty preparation starts in October realistically now, with a world of planning required beforehand. Na Piarsaigh it would seem are run rather similar to a county set up too so couldn’t envisage it working, unless they are knocked out of Limerick championship but it’s hard to plan for such an event happening.

Haha wouldn't want any manager who'd plan his own team getting beaten either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

hardybuck wrote: »
    Wexford have a dedicated commercial manager - an ex De La Salle pupil.

Eanna Martin? He went to secondary in New Ross as far as I know, he has zero connection to De La Salle.

Motivator wrote: »
    Eanna Martin? He went to secondary in New Ross as far as I know, he has zero connection to De La Salle.

Did his leaving in DLS, and played Harty Cup, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If rumours out of KK are true, Cody will retire after this year, win lose or draw on Sunday, and Shefflin lined up as his replacement. Which leaves a lot of KK fellahs ‘waiting for the big gig’ available.

The Eddie Brennan idea makes sense to me. He’s realistically not going to take Laois any further and if he’s looking to step up to another challenge it’s perfect fit for him. Whether he feels the same way from the outside looking in is another matter but looking at the job he did with Laois, as a so-called ‘elite’ hurling county we should be flexing our muscles to reach out and get him.

I don’t see any sense in the Michael Ryan (Tipp) rumours. Why would he step down from his own county with another 12 month term still to run last year then take on the Waterford job. Hes won his AI with his own county, got nothing to prove.

hardybuck wrote: »

Did his leaving in DLS, and played Harty Cup, if I recall correctly.

Correct - repeated there in 2003/2004 his uncle is mr Kavanagh won all Ireland’s with kk and selector on Harty cup winning teams.

Some fairly uninformed people on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

If rumours out of KK are true, Cody will retire after this year, win lose or draw on Sunday, and Shefflin lined up as his replacement. Which leaves a lot of KK fellahs ‘waiting for the big gig’ available.

The Eddie Brennan idea makes sense to me. He’s realistically not going to take Laois any further and if he’s looking to step up to another challenge it’s perfect fit for him. Whether he feels the same way from the outside looking in is another matter but looking at the job he did with Laois, as a so-called ‘elite’ hurling county we should be flexing our muscles to reach out and get him.

I don’t see any sense in the Michael Ryan (Tipp) rumours. Why would he step down from his own county with another 12 month term still to run last year then take on the Waterford job. Hes won his AI with his own county, got nothing to prove.

Heard from a usually reliable source tonight that Eddie Brennan is in the mix.

Deise Gael wrote: »

For Waterford or Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Bonnar is in pole position by all accounts. Heard he met with Dan & another prominent player during the week. This could be the quickest appointment of all time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Paddy Powers have Clom Bonner now at @ 7/4 fav- Dan was 7/2 Fav on Sunday
    and that man who can perform miracles Keith Barry @ 250/1

Correct - repeated there in 2003/2004 his uncle is mr Kavanagh won all Ireland’s with kk and selector on Harty cup winning teams.

That’s a bit rich coming from the biggest spoofer and waffler of all time. I don’t know what’s worse, the rubbish you talk or the fact that you’re willing to put your name to it. I was going to say you should go back to discussing horses but you’re even more clueless about that than hurling.

Says the lad with 1200+ posts anonymously on this message board!

3 times less then me in approx same time - so who takes more sihte? :rolleyes:

Have a drop of oil. Mate.

Says the lad with 1200+ posts anonymously on this message board!

3 times less then me in approx same time - so who takes more sihte? :rolleyes:

Have a drop of oil. Mate.

What’s wrong with being anonymous? Is that not the whole point of Internet forums or are we all meant to call out fellas like Big John Joe Joyce and dish out our phone numbers? Did you actually get one phonecall from anyone to debate with? I doubt you did, posting your number was one of the most childish things I’ve ever seen.

You’re a moron on twitter and you aren’t any better on here. Mate.

I did as it turned out.

In actual fact i met someone off this page who i previously didnt know who it was for coffee.

You have it too, same comment applies.

I dont particularly care what some imbecile hiding behind a keyboard says or thinks tbh, more then happy with my contribution to my own club.

If what i did was childish, where does the comment "you are a moron on twitter" come into it! :pac:

Furthermore, you dont like my twitter page, dont follow me or look it up instead of moaning about what someone says! As a great mans tattoo says "if you dont know me dont judge me"

Suppose your probably against freedom of speech and objective argument too :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

That’s a bit rich coming from the biggest spoofer and waffler of all time. I don’t know what’s worse, the rubbish you talk or the fact that you’re willing to put your name to it. I was going to say you should go back to discussing horses but you’re even more clueless about that than hurling.

Leave Saturdayman alone.
    Did a great job with the minor footballers this year. Walking out on them after a few months.
    Deisefacts will be on in a while to back that up.
    And yet thinks it's ok to come on here and on Twitter and criticize others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Personally I dont want to read this clildish bickering back and forth. Take it to PMs and give the rest of us a break

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Leave Saturdayman alone.
    Did a great job with the minor footballers this year. Walking out on them after a few months.
    Deisefacts will be on in a while to back that up.
    And yet thinks it's ok to come on here and on Twitter and criticize others.

It’s better your getting. Lol

deisedude wrote: »
    Personally I dont want to read this clildish bickering back and forth. Take it to PMs and give the rest of us a break

A couple of these lads are actually well known around the place, surprised to see them engaging in this type of gutter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

A couple of these lads are actually well known around the place, surprised to see them engaging in this type of gutter stuff.

If this is the standard of supporter/volunteer in Waterford GAA, is it any wonder the county is a laughing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

If this is the standard of supporter/volunteer in Waterford GAA, is it any wonder the county is a laughing stock.

Ah now. It might be an idea to take a step back here because this is only going in one direction, and it isn't a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

deisedude wrote: »

Well said! Think the long summer is getting people twitchy.

Still got the ladies football going!

Just to break up the pillow talk if nothing else, what or whom would people’s choices be as the new management set up?
    Bonnar, Dan, Queally

Eddie Brennan, Dan, Paul Flynn

Colm Bonnar, Andy Maloney, James O Connor

Just suggestions so let’s be having ye?!!

cul beag wrote: »
    Just to break up the pillow talk if nothing else, what or whom would people’s choices be as the new management set up?
    Bonnar, Dan, Queally

Eddie Brennan, Dan, Paul Flynn

Colm Bonnar, Andy Maloney, James O Connor

Just suggestions so let’s be having ye?!!

Id go for an outsider with 0 connections to any Waterford club but not having €€€ will go against us on that front. Have a strong backroom team with some infucienucal names eg Dan, Ken, Paul Flynn etc. Shefflin or Dj Carey my pick but very doubtful they would want this gig esp if the Kilkenny job might be free soon

Dont think Colm Bonnar would be a good choice imo. Not that hes a bad manager i just dont think he would get the best out of these current Waterford players and may be more suited to lower level sides like Scully Ryan. If he gets the job than far play to him and i hope the players respect him

Derek coming back would not the worst thing but does he want it back this early ???

Sean Power would be the natural succesor esp with his underage record but is he actually good enough for senior

Fergal Hartley, Peter Quelly, John Mullane as number 1s ??. nah would not appeal to me and would be better in background teams

This is a crucial appointment and the players need to be consulted and put everything into this new management team. Respect was lost half way through Fannings reign but only those involved know the full story. Noone who had any decison in last years appointment should be in charge for this appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deise Gael wrote: »

Eddie Brennan is going nowhere lads, draw a line through his name straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Saturday man and stopitwillya are going to have to kiss and make-up. That was woeful commentary yesterday!
    I think even everyday posters here are stunned by the bitterness of the posts. Surely better than that and accept everyone has the right to an opinion without getting personal!

We’re surely better than that lads & lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Ian OB

Ian OB wrote: »
    He's right

Not giving the job to Sean Power last year was a big mistake. It was perfect timing for him coming out of the u21s and the feelgood factor was still around that group. To give it to his clubmate Fanning instead was a big 2 fingers to Power and if I very much doubt he would have done any worse than Fanning did as it turned out. It’s probably 2 late for him now as he would not be able to get the momentum back with that group given what has happened in the past year. When you see the success of J Kiely in Limerick you’d have to ask the question why did the co board not even consider him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Gardner

Not giving the job to Sean Power last year was a big mistake. It was perfect timing for him coming out of the u21s and the feelgood factor was still around that group. To give it to his clubmate Fanning instead was a big 2 fingers to Power and if I very much doubt he would have done any worse than Fanning did as it turned out. It’s probably 2 late for him now as he would not be able to get the momentum back with that group given what has happened in the past year. When you see the success of J Kiely in Limerick you’d have to ask the question why did the co board not even consider him

Will ya ever **** off. ridiculous post

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement