Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Gardner wrote: »
    Will ya ever **** off. ridiculous post

Don't you just love a good balanced debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't you just love a good balanced debate

It's hard to argue with a poster of such intelligence in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Saturday man and stopitwillya are going to have to kiss and make-up. That was woeful commentary yesterday!
    I think even everyday posters here are stunned by the bitterness of the posts. Surely better than that and accept everyone has the right to an opinion without getting personal!

We’re surely better than that lads & lassies

“ The years have made me bitter,
    The gargle dims me brain,
    As the hurling world keeps on changing,
    But Waterford remains the same”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Not giving the job to Sean Power last year was a big mistake. It was perfect timing for him coming out of the u21s and the feelgood factor was still around that group. To give it to his clubmate Fanning instead was a big 2 fingers to Power and if I very much doubt he would have done any worse than Fanning did as it turned out. It’s probably 2 late for him now as he would not be able to get the momentum back with that group given what has happened in the past year. When you see the success of J Kiely in Limerick you’d have to ask the question why did the co board not even consider him

If Sean Power genuinely wanted the job, or was suitable for the job, he'd have gone off and cut his teeth at senior level. That could have been in a good senior club side, or in another county setup.

To my knowledge he hasn't done that, and until he does he shouldn't come into consideration.

John Kiely by the way had prior experience at senior intercounty level, both as a coach and as a player, before taking the Limerick role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭914

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Sean Power genuinely wanted the job, or was suitable for the job, he'd have gone off and cut his teeth at senior level. That could have been in a good senior club side, or in another county setup.

To my knowledge he hasn't done that, and until he does he shouldn't come into consideration.

John Kiely by the way had prior experience at senior intercounty level, both as a coach and as a player, before taking the Limerick role.

I don't know Derek McGrath had somewhat of a successful stint with Waterford and all he had a senior level was his time at DLS. Other then that he had the harty cup.

I would leave lack of experience get in the way of things.

914 wrote: »
    I don't know Derek McGrath had somewhat of a successful stint with Waterford and all he had a senior level was his time at DLS. Other then that he had the harty cup.

I would leave lack of experience get in the way of things.

By a somewhat successful stint you're referring to winning a county senior title by 12 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Eddie Brennan is going nowhere lads, draw a line through his name straight away.

Eddie Brennan would of fancied his Laois side to take Waterford scalp this summer the way both teams were playing.

i doubt he would leave Laois for Waterford at present.

He seems to have a great bond with the players there.

By a somewhat successful stint you're referring to winning a county senior title by 12 points?

No I meant a successful stint with waterford after just one stint as a senior club manager. I'm not taking away from his stint with DLS.

I'm just making the point would his Waterford spell have been any different without that one year as senior manager with DLS?

Just because Sean Power hasn't had a senior stint, I don't think that is enough to say he shouldn't get the job.

Waterford have won 7 all Irelands at minor, u21 and senior and Sean Power has managed two of them.

The first minor since 1948. We're not blessed to have too many All Ireland winners in Waterford so why not take a punt on someone who has won 2 of the 7?

Yes we can argue the step up is massive and that Sean had a very talented panel of players, the majority of those players have come through so that talented group is there, so what do we have to lose?

Thats all of course if he wanted the job.

No I meant a successful stint with waterford after just one stint as a senior club manager. I'm not taking away from his stint with DLS.

I'm just making the point would his Waterford spell have been any different without that one year as senior manager with DLS?

Just because Sean Power hasn't had a senior stint, I don't think that is enough to say he shouldn't get the job.

Waterford have won 7 all Irelands at minor, u21 and senior and Sean Power has managed two of them.

The first minor since 1948. We're not blessed to have too many All Ireland winners in Waterford so why not take a punt on someone who has won 2 of the 7?

Yes we can argue the step up is massive and that Sean had a very talented panel of players, the majority of those players have come through so that talented group is there, so what do we have to lose?

Thats all of course if he wanted the job.

Well yes, I think managing men and boys is rather different. I also think the game at senior and juvenile level is different.

You had one manager who had a continuous progression in his development and made the next step up. We have another here who seemingly hasn't made any progression in his development in recent years - he has a major gap in his CV and would be stepping up a couple of levels.

Again, I think if this guy wants the job, or could be considered suitable for it in the future, he should be taking on a big senior side or trying to get into the coaching team of an intercounty side.

• Advertisement

Well yes, I think managing men and boys is rather different. I also think the game at senior and juvenile level is different.

You had one manager who had a continuous progression in his development and made the next step up. We have another here who seemingly hasn't made any progression in his development in recent years - he has a major gap in his CV and would be stepping up a couple of levels.

Again, I think if this guy wants the job, or could be considered suitable for it in the future, he should be taking on a big senior side or trying to get into the coaching team of an intercounty side.

Is he not with Dunhill now?

All the manages that we have had since 1959 may have had some previous senior management experience at senior level, club or county and we have still yet to win an All Ireland so is it really that important?

Is he not with Dunhill now?

Dunhill...no disrespect to them but it's not exactly a launch pad for a coach with ambitions to be managing a side challenging for senior All Irelands.

He either doesn't want to put in the work to get to the next level or bigger teams don't want him.

Dunhill...no disrespect to them but it's not exactly a launch pad for a coach with ambitions to be managing a side challenging for senior All Irelands.

He either doesn't want to put in the work to get to the next level or bigger teams don't want him.

So if he was to get Dunhill back senior and be competitive at senior level would that not be a greater success that lets say managing Ballygunner for a year and winning a county title?

The aim of Waterford is to win an All Ireland and he haven't done that since 1959 with managers who have had prior senior experience so why not try something different.

With the names being mentioned do you see us winning an All Ireland in 2-3 years?

So if he was to get Dunhill back senior and be competitive at senior level would that not be a greater success that lets say managing Ballygunner for a year and winning a county title?

The aim of Waterford is to win an All Ireland and he haven't done that since 1959 with managers who have had prior senior experience so why not try something different.

With the names being mentioned do you see us winning an All Ireland in 2-3 years?

If he won an intermediate with Dunhill and got them competitive at senior level, he'd certainly be a stronger candidate than he is now. But none of that has happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

you can coach or manage at any level, the questions that should be asked is, is the manager improving the team he have

If sean Power was to win a county with dunhill it would be a massive achievement

That’s your subjective opinion. There’s no set criteria for intercounty management, sometimes it’s about being in the right place at the right time. I beleive Sean Power was better set up for this job than Fanning was. He was just finished his second year with the u21s, he knew all the young lads well, had unprecedented success with them, and he is respected. For whatever reason he wasn’t even considered. would he have done any worse than Fanning? No way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Did Power have 3 years with the 21s? 2016-2018?

Sheedy won 2 minor all Irelands with Tipp if I remember correctly, but if you'd asked the players on those teams going to Senior they would have said they'd have him over anyone else. Now, if we're led to believe player power is so prevalent in Waterford then surely if the players had the same opinion of Power he'd be in charge already?

I think Queally should be involved anyway, if not as manager as a selector at least.

Did Power have 3 years with the 21s? 2016-2018?

Sheedy won 2 minor all Irelands with Tipp if I remember correctly, but if you'd asked the players on those teams going to Senior they would have said they'd have him over anyone else. Now, if we're led to believe player power is so prevalent in Waterford then surely if the players had the same opinion of Power he'd be in charge already?

I think Queally should be involved anyway, if not as manager as a selector at least.

Two years after winning a National League as a player Sheedy managed the Tipp intermediates who won a Munster title. Then he served as a senior selector, then got the minors and won a minor All Ireland.

But yes, a compelling point about player power.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnkieran1

Especially given he's only taken over Na Piarsaigh...he surely has half an eye on St Patrick's Day.

And taking them for €40,000 (including his sidekick,Former Galway and Loughrea hurler Nigel Shaughnessy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

That’s your subjective opinion. There’s no set criteria for intercounty management, sometimes it’s about being in the right place at the right time. I beleive Sean Power was better set up for this job than Fanning was. He was just finished his second year with the u21s, he knew all the young lads well, had unprecedented success with them, and he is respected. For whatever reason he wasn’t even considered. would he have done any worse than Fanning? No way

3 years.
    1st year won all Ireland.
    2nd year had cork beaten in Walsh park only for a terrible puckout from Billy nolan and a very dubious penalty and goal with time up.
    3rd was beaten by cork in Pairc UI Caoimh but very impressed as this Waterford team was given no hope against a star studded cork team but gave them a real game of it.

3 years.
    1st year won all Ireland.
    2nd year had cork beaten in Walsh park only for a terrible puckout from Billy nolan and a very dubious penalty and goal with time up.
    3rd was beaten by cork in Pairc UI Caoimh but very impressed as this Waterford team was given no hope against a star studded cork team but gave them a real game of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Queally is the man. Bonner heading back to Carlow I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Bonnar now 5/4 but Queally is in to 6/4 all of a sudden with PP

Queally is the man. Bonner heading back to Carlow I’d say.

Queally is not the right man for the job. Will have us set up similar to fanning and mcgrath. Look at his record managing both county minor and an extremely talented under 21 team. Did a good job with passage but some club teams have gone backwards under him also.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Sean Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Bonnar now 5/4 but Queally is in to 6/4 all of a sudden with PP

from 9/1 someone must know something

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

The betting situation is actually mad, wouldn’t at all surprise me if our county board chairman would know the inside dealings and have a bet on it. Potentially the person who is going to get the job could do the same and just get someone to put on the bet for him. Could actually be a great way for the county board to fundraiser, threw a few thousand on the man due to get the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

The betting situation is actually mad, wouldn’t at all surprise me if our county board chairman would know the inside dealings and have a bet on it. Potentially the person who is going to get the job could do the same and just get someone to put on the bet for him. Could actually be a great way for the county board to fundraiser, threw a few thousand on the man due to get the job!

New manager every year!

We would have a new stadium in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

If you think the bookies would take a bet of a few thousand euro on such a market you know little about how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Queally has come into the equation because Dan wants him as manager and himself as the coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Also, Sean Power will never get it as the players don’t want him so let’s move on from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jesus Christ, does anyone on this thread have a clue what they're talking about?

Put €50 on any candidate on the list and watch the price collapse. Try and put €1000 on and they'll suspend the market and close your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

cul beag wrote: »
    Also, Sean Power will never get it as the players don’t want him so let’s move on from that.

Thats a strange one because he won 2 all irelands at minor and U21 with a number of these players, I dont recall anyone else within the county managing to do that. Anyway, I guess they know better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Heard Ken McGrath during the week saying its all well and good blaming the managers but the players are the ones who've received little if any blame over the last two years. Ken seemed to be saying that the buck stops with the 15 players that cross the line and for Watetford the players have been very poor in Munster last two years. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look like the talent is there. For starters the forwards ate miles off the likes off Tipp. Hope they sort it out as Waterford are great to watch when in full flow .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Heard Ken McGrath during the week saying its all well and good blaming the managers but the players are the ones who've received little if any blame over the last two years. Ken seemed to be saying that the buck stops with the 15 players that cross the line and for Watetford the players have been very poor in Munster last two years. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look like the talent is there. For starters the forwards ate miles off the likes off Tipp. Hope they sort it out as Waterford are great to watch when in full flow .

Ken is a straight shooter and he is dead right about this bunch of players we have. You can make excuses for the last 2 years but their attitude has just been awful. How you fix that I dont know but at least Ken's team always showed some spine and fought on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

People are rewriting history just a little I think. 2018 the team were within a point of cork, beat Tipp other than the ghost goal and had a stupid amount of injuries after the Clare game going into the Limerick game.

I'm not saying the buck doesn't stop with them but to compare the attitude of the 2018 team to the 2019 team is unfair. The probls of 2019 are more than just player attitude and Ken should know better as he played through the turmoil of the collapse of Justin and the appointment of Davy. The buck certainly didn't stop with the players in 08, it stopped with Justin as I recall.

I'm not in anyway defending the performance or attitude of our players or managers but I think Ken isn't adding anything new to the discussion. Nobody is deluding themselves in thinking that all we need is a new manager but that has to be the first step which is why everyone is focused on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 out west 12

Would they not give Peter Power a shot, the man can shoot farts from a hurley and knock pigeons down, ffs what else do ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

To be fair, who ever manages the county is short a forward line.

Brick Walsh single handedly held together the forward line best he could and now hes not there we're e ****ed.

None of our current forwards pick bar Maurice Shanahan have lit up the place in the past.

Are there forwards hiding somewhere?

Very good discussion from Ceddar Plunkett and Wexford’s Diarmud okeeffe on The GAA hour podcast on a Paraic Fannings reign as Waterford manager. O’keefe spoke about how highly Fanning was regarded by the Wexford players and was surprised it went as pear shaped as it did for him.
    Cheddars view is that the change a system of 5 years is monumental and totally underestimated by many people in Waterford. Take for example Tadhh de burca who was the lynchpin of the team to all of a sudden looking very ordinary and unsure of himself. You cant just flick a switch and all of a sudden turn into Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

Mulbert wrote: »

Brick Walsh single handedly held together the forward line best he could and now hes not there we're e ****ed.

None of our current forwards pick bar Maurice Shanahan have lit up the place in the past.

****ing hell hahaha

• Advertisement

Ken is a straight shooter and he is dead right about this bunch of players we have. You can make excuses for the last 2 years but their attitude has just been awful. How you fix that I dont know but at least Ken's team always showed some spine and fought on their backs.

When did you jump on the bandwagon. After 09 was it.?

puzl wrote: »
    People are rewriting history just a little I think. 2018 the team were within a point of cork, beat Tipp other than the ghost goal and had a stupid amount of injuries after the Clare game going into the Limerick game.

I'm not saying the buck doesn't stop with them but to compare the attitude of the 2018 team to the 2019 team is unfair. The probls of 2019 are more than just player attitude and Ken should know better as he played through the turmoil of the collapse of Justin and the appointment of Davy. The buck certainly didn't stop with the players in 08, it stopped with Justin as I recall.

I'm not in anyway defending the performance or attitude of our players or managers but I think Ken isn't adding anything new to the discussion. Nobody is deluding themselves in thinking that all we need is a new manager but that has to be the first step which is why everyone is focused on it.

Spot on. Ken adds absolutely nothing whatsoever. His contribution on the Sunday game is quite poor also. Never once has he stepped outside the box to talk tactics, player movement or anything alternative. It's either a decent score, a red card etc. and states a few words and gives the player in question a pat on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Did you not hear? Sure Derek ruined them all by playing 15 men in their own half and never gave them any freedom.

On a serious note, looking at the likes of Tipp and Limerick some of their forwards are twice the size of ours, are they on the weights from a very young age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

?

And Austin Gleeson, as much as people hate to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Quealy, Dan and Uncle Darragh.

Dr Noelle and Derek will give the imprimatur to that set up and will also allow the Mahoney's to keep their places.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Quealy, Dan and Uncle Darragh.

Dr Noelle and Derek will give the imprimatur to that set up and will also allow the Mahoney's to keep their places.

Job done.

Uncle Darragh???

• Advertisement

Uncle Darragh???

Darragh Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

****ing hell hahaha
    When did you jump on the bandwagon. After 09 was it.?
    Spot on. Ken adds absolutely nothing whatsoever. His contribution on the Sunday game is quite poor also. Never once has he stepped outside the box to talk tactics, player movement or anything alternative. It's either a decent score, a red card etc. and states a few words and gives the player in question a pat on the back.

Amazing insight as usual. I feel so enlightened by such clear, well thought out, unbiased and not at all self entitled statements. We should make a 200m high statue of you over the Ard Ri with a huge lemon stuck in your mouth so that future generations can admire this type of bitter guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

‪Tonight’s two senior football championship games in Fraher Field between Clashmore/Kinsalebeg & Kilmacthomas and Ardmore & Gaultier have been postponed!‬

Anyone know why these were called off? I know why the Brickeys game was called off Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tommylad1212

‪Tonight’s two senior football championship games in Fraher Field between Clashmore/Kinsalebeg & Kilmacthomas and Ardmore & Gaultier have been postponed!‬

Anyone know why these were called off? I know why the Brickeys game was called off Friday.
    Brickeys game was only called off yesterday evening

It's ok Derek you'll probably get another chance next week on TSG to explain away your under achievements as a player and a manager.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement